Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Old Hell used to be a great place to get high quality satanic cuisine, but since the yuppies moved in it's all gone downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I just call it all Coke.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I believe that would be "pomme de terre".
Which is confusing, because "the Land of Pommies" is England.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I, too, shout "Rising Dragon Fist" and "Wave Motion Fist" whenever I do the moves as Ryu or Ken.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

I, too, shout "Rising Dragon Fist" and "Wave Motion Fist" whenever I do the moves as Ryu or Ken.

Rising Dragon Fist is actually a super baller name, and you should absolutely shout those things.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wave Motion Fist sounds p baller too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It would have saved me several headaches if people had just said "Danmaku Kekkai" and "Muso Tensei" from the start, so I guess I concede the point.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It appears I am extremely out of practice.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The results are in. All in all, nothing too crazy.

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/THWiki_Popularity_Poll#14th_.282018.29

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EoSD is the Smash Melee of Touhou.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Takoluka posted:

EoSD is the Smash Melee of Touhou.

Yes

But at least newcomer Shion ranked higher than half of them

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The most confusing thing for me will always be that yes, okay, I get the music and even the characters from EoSD being tops. People have tons of nostalgia for them and the sheer amount of fan work and memes and bullshit for EoSD makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy even though the only character from it that makes regular appearances to this day is Cirno.

What I don't get is it also being voted as the best "work" in the series, like, which I'm interpreting being its gameplay. EoSD as a game these days sucks. It's antiquated so uniquely in a way that not even PCB feels and a lot of the attack patterns are super boring. There's more than one attack in the game that's just the boss spewing random bullets.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The top ten seem pretty set, other than Mokou pushing Aya out, likely due to AoCF. Doremy had a huge jump, as expected, and Shion placed really well for a new character.

Comparing the placings to the number of first place votes someone got is interesting, though. Most of the time they correlate, but, for example, Sanae has more people who say she's their favorite than Tenshi or Yukari, but they both beat her. Meanwhile, Shion's very few people's favorite, but she still made the top fifteen.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You did it, Clarste. You destroyed the Aki Sandwich. Are you proud of yourself?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Couldnt topple the reimu though!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Roland Jones posted:

The top ten seem pretty set, other than Mokou pushing Aya out, likely due to AoCF. Doremy had a huge jump, as expected, and Shion placed really well for a new character.

Comparing the placings to the number of first place votes someone got is interesting, though. Most of the time they correlate, but, for example, Sanae has more people who say she's their favorite than Tenshi or Yukari, but they both beat her. Meanwhile, Shion's very few people's favorite, but she still made the top fifteen.

Hot Take: Shion made Touhou good again.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The most confusing thing for me will always be that yes, okay, I get the music and even the characters from EoSD being tops. People have tons of nostalgia for them and the sheer amount of fan work and memes and bullshit for EoSD makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy even though the only character from it that makes regular appearances to this day is Cirno.

What I don't get is it also being voted as the best "work" in the series, like, which I'm interpreting being its gameplay. EoSD as a game these days sucks. It's antiquated so uniquely in a way that not even PCB feels and a lot of the attack patterns are super boring. There's more than one attack in the game that's just the boss spewing random bullets.

I still like it :shobon:

I feel like in modern Touhous a lot of attacks are puzzle-based where all the difficulty is in figuring out the trick/pattern. I prefer it when there's at least some degree of randomness. And other than particularly egregious reaction checks like Sakuya in stage 6, I think attacks with random bullets all feel different, depending on the bullet properties.

It's also more resource-constrained with no 1-up mechanic other than the score, and stages 1 and 2 are a lot more fun since you have to pick up the items directly. The rank system is janky and kind of punishes success but makes for really intense gameplay when it's high.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hosed up Shion’s more popular than Jo’on imo. But not quite as hosed up as Hartmann’s Youkai Girl still being in the top 5 music tracks. It’s just not that good!!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I like that Cirno, Meiling, and especially Sakuya all have panic-spam attacks as their final spellcard. Spellcards as a form of expression is good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xz4NV0zsbY

I like it, anyway.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Aaaaaeeeech. I always thought that Bad Apple's lyrics were dumb and the original video was boring. Shoulda just left the music.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bad Apple is cool and good, but I like the OG version better than the Alstroemeria arrange. Bakeneko's version on piano is v. good (and also removed from YouTube). http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12048076

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

EoSD was my first touhou game and I still find it a ton of fun to play but it isn't a good game at all.

As an aside, the best work vote made me realize that I like HSiFS a ton and it's probably my second favorite game after MoF.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The best Touhou work

is Forbidden Scrollery.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

You did it, Clarste. You destroyed the Aki Sandwich. Are you proud of yourself?

I'm disappointed that Shizuha didn't rocket up 20 places.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

"Bad Apple!! feat. nomico" is never going away, and deep down, no matter what, you will always like it and its remixes.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I don't care for the song but the original video is really well done.

Also I'm just glad Junko's theme got 3rd after the EoSD songs because that song is great.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to crush that gaijin singer

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Can't believe this guy wasn't in the poll

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

The best Touhou work

is Forbidden Scrollery.
Based on the first volume, I'm prepared to call this the correct opinion.

Sailor Mars deserves better than this.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Concealed Four Seasons not high enough. recount please.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Concealed Four Seasons not high enough. recount please.

I don't know what you're complaining about, it got 6th place

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is there a translation of what all of the evil clones say about their counterparts and others in AoCF?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Inverness posted:

Is there a translation of what all of the evil clones say about their counterparts and others in AoCF?
If you can screencap or link to the Japanese for whatever you're interested in, I'd be happy to get it wrong for you, to force the better translators to rush in and correct me.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

truly we are living in the future

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/776490-ClownPiece

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

FractalSandwich posted:

If you can screencap or link to the Japanese for whatever you're interested in, I'd be happy to get it wrong for you, to force the better translators to rush in and correct me.
Thanks, but I managed to find what I was looking for here: https://www.thpatch.net/wiki/Th155/Joon%27s_Scenario/en

Dream Kasen dissing Yukari:

quote:

You're being deceived.

She may put on airs of being a big-shot, but deep inside she's nothing but a coward.

That calm face she puts on is just a mask.

She'd never leave a disruptive element alone, but she's too scared to take action herself.

That's the sort of person she is.

She didn't want to fight the dream people.

She didn't want to fight you two either.

Didn't she only ask you to do this hoping you'd both destroy each other?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Visionary Fairies in Shrine 09! Maybe! The new reader site is untested.

In which you should always be asking yourself "where's Clownpiece?"

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 27, 2018

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

In which you should always be asking yourself "where's Clownpiece?"

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

"To make it a fire festival, we're gonna start fires all over the shrine. Won't it be fun?"

It's good to get a reminder that faries are huge jerks. Especially Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Can’t believe Clownpiece and the gang are gonna burn down the shrine