Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Kheldragar posted:

So has anyone played the Seihou games? How are they?

I actually did play enough Shuusou Gyoku to 1cc it. It's alright. Controls like a Touhou but the gameplay is somewhere between bullet hell and classic shmup so basically faster bullets that still come by the bucket at times means more dodging and less weaving in general. Graphically, it's a bit rough. It was clearly Amusement Makers' first attempt away from PC98, happening only two years after Mystic Square. Music is...well it's a ZUN soundtrack, so plenty memorable, but it's MIDI only. If you own a Roland Sound Canvas like I do (and like ZUN does) then it'll sound more similar to his other soundtracks; otherwise it'll sound like...well MIDI. Overall I thought it was pretty fun but most Touhou games are better. Didn't spend as much time with the other two. Kiou Gyoku is like Phantasmagoria of Flower View but not NEARLY as good so meh, and I just could not get into Banshiryuu (its bizarre sounding not-by-ZUN soundtrack probably had something to do with that to be honest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

Sekibanki's last spell card at least is absolutely harder on Normal than it is on Hard, because the Hard version is way easier to micrododge.

On Normal and Easy, the double eye lasers will go around you if you hold still. You don't need to move at all once the card starts, unless you get extremely unlucky and one of the bullet trails runs directly over you. Even then, it has to be pixel perfect to hit you, and you can see it coming easily and relocate. You might also have trouble killing the card in time, if Seki's body decides to run away and hug a wall, but again nothing that can't be simply fixed.

This applies to the multi-head card as well, on all difficulties, though it's somewhat less useful due to the number of random shots. But it's still not the worst strategy to sit in place and bomb if you're going to get hit - with the extra damage this gives you, you only need to survive one or two shotwaves. Maybe 50% capture rate on Lunatic this way.

Seihou isn't really a coherent series in the way Touhou is, I'll ramble about them (and affiliated games) a bit.

SSG is an old Touhou-like with some normal shmup sensibilities, as mentioned. It's fun but pretty rough. Hitboxes aren't great, there's heavy memorization, bullets can be very hard to see against the backgrounds, and trying to use Touhou deathbomb timing will result in you dying, instantly respawning and using a useless bomb. Also the final boss is suddenly full on naked anime girl territory, which is kind of offputting. On the other hand, enemy health was balanced for the player hugging the bottom of the screen, and there's no player shot proration, so shotgunning strategies will break the game and kill everything REALLY fast.

Kioh Gyoku is a take on the Twinkle Star Sprites/Phantasmagoria model, with the main mechanic being that you build meter by grazing rather than (or in addition to) shooting stuff. The concept is interesting, definitely has potential, and story mode is fun even though the last two bosses are super ultra bullshit. Unfortunately the program doesn't really... work. You can't play human 2P matches without two controllers, but controllers tend to bug out and stop working and crash the game, and then if you do get it to work you find out that the bullshit wasn't limited to story mode. There's zero character or attack balance and any human match is a spamfest of undodgeable lightning fast instant kills. It feels like (and probably *is*) an alpha version of something that could have been a great game if it was finished.

There are two different Banshiryuus. The C67 and C74 versions are really two completely different games, they have nothing in common except for character concepts, art and some music. BSR-67 is a pretty standard shooter with Touhou-style conventions and a pretty neat medal chain system for scoring. Fun stuff, although enemy "spellcards" (including the entire final boss fight) are all timeout attacks.

BSR-C74 remade everything! Now the bosses are standard shooter fare and you have to actually kill them, but the player characters have super weird shots, and there's arbitrary damage scaling on everything so shooting bosses at different times can do slivers of damage or take off their whole healthbar in a second. All items dropped from enemies fuel a bomb system that persists across your very limited lives. I think the main game isn't really as good as the C67 version, but the main draw of this one is the Extra stage: a marathon boss rush against all the SSG and KG characters, every attack is crazy bullshit, and you start with 2 lives and 70 (not a typo) bombs. Extra is very well designed and tons of fun, all the characters have their own art and music and patterns and it's like a big summary of what the Seihou series could be if it was a real series instead of a university demo group. At least look this up on Youtube, it's a good watch.

Samidare, the not-really-official Seihou 4, is a very well received game that revolves around its unique system mechanic. No bombs, just a shield button you can hold down for invincibility as long as the meter lasts. Absorbing bullets with the shield briefly powers up your shot, making you deal much more damage and get 16x score bonuses from destroyed enemies. The shield meter recharges over time. That's it! Simple, sweet and the gameplay is extremely polished and well thought out. Every enemy pattern is designed to maximize interesting choices about where and when you shield, and you can play as conservatively or aggressively as you please. The maingame is relatively short, only three stages, and quite forgiving to clear, but the Extra stage is quite long and brutally hard if you want a challenge. This is the best game in the series and if you're reading this you should probably go play it.

RefRain is the newest offering from the former Seihou crew, and is pretty different from all their previous stuff. The gameplay is about shooting down things to charge up a power meter, which you can release as crazy bullet cancelling shots. I'm not sure how I feel about it. A lot of the game you can coast through with constant charge shots, but then some of the later enemy patterns don't let you charge at all and murder you. It does have VERY neat aesthetics, though. The menu system and finding all the emails presenting the story might be a better game than the actual shooting part.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Ranpire posted:

On Normal and Easy, the double eye lasers will go around you if you hold still.

...oh. Well then.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

HMS Boromir posted:

...oh. Well then.

Her multi-head card is also the same way on all four difficulties, which means if you get lucky with the random blue bullets you can beat it without even moving :v:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like Sekibanki because she doesn't have any spellcards that make me really mad that they're on the second stage.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ranpire posted:

and there's no player shot proration

I didn't know this was a thing at all.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
By that, do you mean the really high damage reduction that most spell cards have for the first few seconds? Or some sort of mechanism to reduce the damage of a spread shot type if you somehow hit with all of it? I'm a bit confused.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 6, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Devour or Fire posted:

I like Sekibanki because she doesn't have any spellcards that make me really mad that they're on the second stage.

Unlike Hate for the Humble and Rich/Large Box and Small Box. :argh:

Or Parasol Star Symphony/Memories. :argh::argh:

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

By that, do you mean the really high damage reduction that most spell cards have for the first few seconds? Or some sort of mechanism to reduce the damage of a spread shot type if you somehow hit with all of it? I'm a bit confused.

The latter. You know how in many fighting games, doing a long combo will scale down the damage of each individual hit until they barely do any extra damage? Almost every modern shooter applies the same type of scaling to player spread shots, so that the damage you do is normalized within a certain range. Not too low if you're hugging the bottom and only hitting with a bit of the spread, not too high if you're shotgunning a boss with the full spread. If you have, say, ten spread knives, and staying at the bottom of the screen hits with two of them, moving up so you hit with all ten will do more damage, but not a full 500% more.

SSG (along with the PC-98 Touhou games, and many older arcade titles) doesn't have this feature, every player projectile you see will always do its full damage. As a result, SSG's homing shot type has the best overall damage output, far surpassing the laser type, because it has the biggest number of spread projectiles in its basic shot. It's pretty broken. For example, you can kill every enemy on the last stage before it fires just by being in the top half of the screen and hitting with about half your spread as they emerge.

Story of Eastern Wonderland has something similar going on, but even worse, since you can mash the button for an increased base shot fire rate in that game. Go try the supposed "power type", and then try shotgunning and mashing the button with the spread type, see which one kills bosses faster. It's not even close.

I'm not sure about EoSD, but from at least PCB onwards, the Touhou games apply some rather complex scaling to all player shots. Mostly it works out great, occasionally it doesn't. Sakuya in IN is particularly hard-hit, she's the one case I know of where the scaling is so harsh that she actually does less damage hitting with her full spread than if you back off a bit and let the two outermost knives miss.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Is bombing for a heart piece that you wouldn't otherwise get worth it? I do it every time but I'm also the greediest Touhou player alive. With some of the spammier sections I don't know how you're supposed to collect legitimately.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Redmark posted:

Is bombing for a heart piece that you wouldn't otherwise get worth it? I do it every time but I'm also the greediest Touhou player alive. With some of the spammier sections I don't know how you're supposed to collect legitimately.

You get 3 bombs per life, and 3 heart pieces are one life, so I'd say it balances out.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
And if you're playing SakuyaA you get 3 free bomb pieces if the shield times out, so you can profit there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ZUN posted:

Well, how was the content?
While it looks difficult at first, if you chain patterns well enough, you will gain many lives,
so it's not that hard right?
For people who think "the second half is hard, it's too hard to gain extra lives,"
please use bombs. Use them generously.
The game this time is about collecting lives in stages and ruthlessly battling the bosses.
If you use bombs in places with lots of items, you can collect life pieces easily.
Once you get used to it, it's possible to reach MAX lives in stage 3.
Look, isn't it easy?

Always be bombing in DDC, ZUN wants you to.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wish I could meet Zun at Anime Georgia.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Devour or Fire posted:

I wish I could meet Zun at Anime Georgia.

Just bomb your way there.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
MarisaB in particular is great at converting bombs into lives, since her bomb generates power items and also provides a shield behind which you can PoC a second or even third 2.0 in certain really bullet-dense parts.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 8, 2013

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Her bomb straight up generates a life fragment on its own if it absorbs 300 bullets.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Somewhere it's the ninth!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Breadmaster posted:

Of course. How could I forget the strongest day of the year?

VVV: Even studying will not make her smart, it seems. Only strong.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 9, 2013

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
:toot: http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/446055?pool_id=4616

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Breadmaster posted:

It's the 9th here in Malaysia! Also, I think the below picture is the best 'Cirno is smart!' one on record:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

:toot:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Decided to try out these games, and they're pretty fun! I'm pretty terrible at it, but I can feel myself getting better every playthrough. The music in particular is amazing.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

el burbo posted:

Decided to try out these games, and they're pretty fun! I'm pretty terrible at it, but I can feel myself getting better every playthrough. The music in particular is amazing.

Glad you're enjoying them. I got into Touhou about 5 years ago, starting out with EoSD. Back then I was just trying to kill time in my freshman year of college but I think every year that goes by, I love the series more. And while I like the gameplay and characters a lot, I think if the music wasn't so great, I would have only played one or two games and dropped it. The music (both the original tracks and some of the amazing fan arrangements you can find) is definitely one of the selling points with Touhou.

Speaking of EoSD, I'm trying to 1cc it with Reimu. I'm getting closer, but Reimu just feels sluggish to me in this game. I'm a little surprised that most players use ReimuB in EoSD (or at least, that's the impression I've gotten).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Reimu B has the easiest Stage 4. There are other factors (good damage + range, small hitbox, relatively generous deathbomb timing), but that's the main one.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
Huh, that's interesting... I just switched from ReimuB to ReimuA and personally found Patchouli's spellcards much easier with ReimuA. But mainly I wanted to get the extra life from midboss Sakuya. I was having a hard time hitting her without homing bullets.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

dranxis posted:

Speaking of EoSD, I'm trying to 1cc it with Reimu. I'm getting closer, but Reimu just feels sluggish to me in this game. I'm a little surprised that most players use ReimuB in EoSD (or at least, that's the impression I've gotten).

ReimuB has ridiculous damage potential due to shotgunning but also has a wide shot which can help with some annoying spam sections. Her bomb doesn't do much damage though.

Also midboss Sakuya's movements are easily memorizable (the spellcard has 2 variations based on where she spawns at the start, i think?). It is not hard to kill her with a straight shot-type.

vv Sorry, I meant ReimuB and I'm a dumbass.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 12, 2013

RacMutau
Jul 4, 2012

I don't need to bench press!
I think Reimu A is the homing amulets and Reimu B is needles, that is why he is confused.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I always pick the homing shot types because I like not having to track exactly where the boss is so I can do damage; I think I times out on a few bosses because of that as Marisa B.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Actually Needle Reimu is always the correct choice in every Touhou game. Seriously though, focused high-power shot-types mean bosses die quicker, which in turn means you spend less time dodging and/or running into bullets. Also thanks to Reimu's tiny hit-box and slower movement she's got an easier time staying under bosses than other characters. Homing Reimu's only advantage is that she has an easier time with stage portions, but the bosses are where it's at in Touhou so that's not exactly a big selling point either.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

a cartoon duck posted:

Actually Needle Reimu is always the correct choice in every Touhou game.

Except DDC. :v:

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
I've always used homing shot type Reimu because I'm lazy.

I was trying to see how far I could get in PCB (easy mode, still learning), then I realized that the bosses ain't dying fast enough. Couldn't even make it past Alice without continuing after numerous tries, never made it past Prismriver ever. Switched to Needle Reimu and made it all the way to Yuyuko without dying.

Then I died to Yuyuko a lot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Homing Reimu is a perfectly good shot, you just have to learn to dodge. :v:

As much as I like the giant gohei of doom, DDC Reimu B is pretty much TD Reimu. She's way better.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
In EoSD, Marisa A also seems to work pretty well, at least in my experience.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I think EoSD is probably the game in which having Master Spark makes the most difference (with the incredible spam from stage 4 onwards and no armor at the beginning of spell cards). MarisaA's bomb is pretty bad and she doesn't have the lasers to help with stages.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Redmark posted:

I think EoSD is probably the game in which having Master Spark makes the most difference (with the incredible spam from stage 4 onwards and no armor at the beginning of spell cards). MarisaA's bomb is pretty bad and she doesn't have the lasers to help with stages.

Yes, but her missile-shot type covers more area and does more damage, so it all works out. Plus, christmas trees and stars look nicer than big ugly lasers. :colbert:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hedera Helix posted:

Yes, but her missile-shot type covers more area and does more damage, so it all works out. Plus, christmas trees and stars look nicer than big ugly lasers. :colbert:

Nothing is more romantic than a beam. :colbert:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

gnome7 posted:

Nothing is more romantic than a beam. :colbert:

ZUN posted:

Marisa's lesson of how to "Spark". Concentrate your mind, Mutter the spell to Mini-Hakkero tenderly, Aim at someone you don't like, Now unleash your annihilation of love!

ZUN and Marisa clearly agree.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yo, just a reminder that the 100% amazing PoFV tournament is starting on the 21st. Hopefully anyone who signed up is still good to go but if you signed up and want to drop out let me know ASAP please.

Of course, if you haven't signed up and want to do so that's also an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

Yo, just a reminder that the 100% amazing PoFV tournament is starting on the 21st. Hopefully anyone who signed up is still good to go but if you signed up and want to drop out let me know ASAP please.

Of course, if you haven't signed up and want to do so that's also an option.

Can anyone remind me how the multiplayer works for PoFV? I've always done it single, so I have no clue.