Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I play on Normal because I started with EoSD, and things like EoSD Easy Mode will train you to never trust easy modes again.

I have never 1CC'd a single game. Well, except for the fighters. I'm a fair bit better at twitch reflexes than micrododging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Invictus posted:

THAT HAAAAAAND

You know it's canon when the anatomy is as bad as ZUN's. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Raenir Salazar posted:

because Cirno != Emo is something I can easily see as a universal constant.

You realize, saying that, someone's gonna go and post that depressing-rear end Cirno's Math Class rendition.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

JosephWongKS posted:

Are there any other franchises where the first installment remains forever the most popular regardless of how many years have passed since the first installment came out or how many new sequels have appeared since then?

Typically this happens because of bad sequels, but when quality isn't brought into question... I think Transformers might be an example, in that everyone and their uncle seems to prefer the 1980s cartoon to everything else in the franchise.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MadRhetoric posted:

And ESoD isn't the first Touhou game :ssh:

It's the first Touhou game that matters. :colbert:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HGH posted:

Maybe it's just me but that blocking mechanics seems backwards. You'd think people would like to see parries and stuff.

People like Dragon Ball, which is all about just punching the air and bouncing all over the place.

Also, more than people like parries, nobody likes that rear end in a top hat who plays Iceman in MvC3 and just blocks all the time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It was a slight typo, I meant MvC2. Blocking without chip damage is the most obnoxious poo poo in that game. But back on topic!

Saigyouji posted:

Marisa's alluded to liking the idea of immortality before. Maybe she thinks she'll get something out of Miko.

It's far more likely she'd angle to get something out of Byakuren, as that was who she was trying to sweet-talk in SoPM.

Personally, I'm still gunning for Tenshi showing up somehow with a "Celestials are better than all of your religions :smugdog:" stance.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

It's always a weird feeling to see what ZUN-art looks like nowadays.

And what it looks like nowadays is :buddy:

No super-noticeable anatomy mistakes though! He is learning.

Notice that Title Screen Reimu is doing her damnedest to make sure you can't see her hands. He is learning. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Volt Catfish posted:

You see, Sakuya is a Lunarian because

I think the "reasoning" behind that was 'silver hair' + 'something ZUN said about Sakuya and Eirin when he was more drunk than usual'. Oh, and because her first boss song had the word "Luna(r)" in it.

Which is to say, about as much reasoning as some of the more batshit theories out there.

Fighting Falken posted:

Sakuya is maid Dio Brando, but with a much better personality. This is the only good theory because of dumb reasons. :colbert:

Meidio Brando is the correct response forever, though. She's just not a vampire because ZUN thought it'd be funny to have a human working for one.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nielsm posted:

So he wants another Breakout clone? :haw:

I'd actually buy that, regardless of if ZUN or a Touhou dojin circle made it. HRTP was a lot better than people give it credit for, even though it's rapidly approaching the age where it, itself, is old enough to drink.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Invictus posted:

Not really. Just because someone thinks something up or people want something doesn't mean that the author deciding to do it necessarily is predicated on that. I don't think there was outside influence when he brought Yuuka back, after all.

I also don't think fans were begging for Yuuka to be brought back in every game since EoSD. Alice only had a one-game break, but I think after she reappeared, fans were begging for Mima and Shinki, not Yuuka.

I could be wrong, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hazdoc posted:

I'm horribly reminded of the ridiculous things you need to do to unlock the Last Words in IN. Ugh... at least most of them are too hard for me anyways, but still.

I think he was talking about Double Spoiler, where you unlock Hatate by clearing her spell cards in the stage past the EX stage, in what's already considered the hardest game in the series.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Is that ZUN himself chilling in the hot spring/lake there?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Golden Battler posted:

e2: One of these days I'll stop being completely put off SSLPs and actually LP GoS.

It's okay. We know Labyrinth of Touhou hurt you, GB. At the same time, you ARE the first one to technically complete a Touhou fan-game LP! If anyone can do it, it's you!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hokuto posted:

Someone's compiled an image of all the current character sightings in the game.

Weird that we haven't even SEEN Aya. This is the sort of thing she'd be sticking her nose into without question.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dinky Duck Race posted:

The compilation has her right there next to Sanae where she should be, she's mostly obscured but that looks like her geta and she's posed to take pictures.

Oh, so it does. It's Momiji that's a giant blank spot, my mistake.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dorroile posted:

That's pretty awesome, but what the hell is that freaky dark blue goop in the Cirno one?

Chances are it's some sort of blueberry desert of sorts, at least judging by the color.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

And I can't seem to play DDC in a window. Like, at all. It loads up fine in full-screen mode (which is problematic given that I'm on a laptop), but any time I try for windowed it freezes on the loading screen. :sigh:

Anyone else had/having this problem?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Trihugger posted:

When you unzip the game, it comes in a folder "th14(bunch of Japanese)." If you haven't, you need to delete all the Japanese characters in the folder name. Other than that, I don't know what other issues are causing the game to crash.

Yeah, I did that. And, I mean, I've played through the demo to completion (on Easy mode :downs:)... in fullscreen, with everything squashed and vaguely more Hidemari Sketch than the art normally is. However, whenever I try to play it windowed, it freezes - not crashes, but hangs - on the startup "now loading".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Don't forget that Futo may or may not be the mother of Tojiko (or at least the person Futo was based on was the mother of the person Tojiko was based on, who in turn was the wife of the dude Miko was based on).

It's not often that I wonder if ZUN can surpass the level of drunken insanity that is Imperishable Night. Now that I'm actually sitting down and thinking about the TD crew, however... :magical:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Specter posted:

It really says a lot for the whole place when the faction with the most blatantly unholy beings in it headed by the self proclaimed ancestor of Vlad the Impaler is the group least likely to gently caress you over.

Hey now! The three-youkai faction headed by what can only be described as "Yog-Sothoth with Nyarlathotep's sense of humor"? That one's not too dangerous either, except to people who aren't already in Gensokyo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Clarste posted:

Uh... it's about everyone chasing down Remilia's lost pet. Hijinks ensue and Reimu ends up giving squirrels alcohol to see what happens.

And let's not forget the most important lesson learned: that there are plants that naturally make their own alcohol. :cheers:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hazdoc posted:

Then again, that whole superiority thing might be why people don't like them. Eh.

The Lunarians are basically Touhou Elves.

From the moon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Related note: I wish Iku got even half of the love Tenshi seems to get. Iku's so ~=+stylish+=~.

Iku pretty much stars as 99% of the enemies of Takkoman, so there's that, I guess? :shrug:

Really, her problem is the same as Sakuya's could be considered before she hit "playable character" status - she's the rather :geno: Stage 5 servant to a much more impactful final boss. Even if Iku doesn't serve Tenshi directly, 90% of her dialogue is about keeping people from trespassing into Heaven or asking Tenshi what's wrong.

She'd probably do well with a few more appearances under her belt, as opposed to being a one-shot character.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 10, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Septette is a sweet spot for arrangement. The melody is simple but not boring, has plenty of voices to play with different instruments or use as vocals, and there's like five distinct themes that can be shuffled around to liven things up. The character association helps too, when the arrangement is vocal, because "refined princess" works both when it's taken seriously or played for laughs.

There are other tracks that are better music, but they tend to be not nearly as flexible. There's only so many ways to arrange Evening Primrose.

Or Night Falls, as it was brought up earlier in the page.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs that Necrofantasia gets about fifty times the amount of arranges that Night Falls does because everybody and their mother seem to love Yukari, but the former is apparently a lot more adaptable to heavy metal guitar or techno oontz.

Of course, Night Falls has more good remixes, but that's mostly because fewer screw it up. :colbert:

DrSunshine posted:

Not until ZUN makes a Touhou who wears a fedora and has a sword of finest Hanzo steel.

So... Youmu.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Justus posted:

Or a detachable head?

But she doesn't have a hat, just a very large ribbon!

I expected this to be a Heart-Throbbing Koishi joke. I was pleasantly surprised it was not. Has the section of the fandom into that series made any jokes about her split second of hatlessness?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cernunnos posted:

I've always liked Necro-Fantasy more than Necrofantasia. Mostly because Necro-Fantasy has a much better buildup IMO.

The version of Necrofantasia on ZUN's albums tries to fix that slightly, but it still doesn't quite hit the mark. Even if you ignore the buildup (which is, in fact, better), Necro-Fantasy also doesn't lean so heavily on those goddamn synth horns. Yeah, they're still there, but they're less... obtrusive?
FAKE EDIT: okay, no, listening to the song again, the synth horn is just as bad in Necro-Fantasy. :suicide: It's just not as omnipresent.

I'm perfectly willing to call Necro-Fantasy strictly Ran's theme while Night Falls is Yukari's. Night Falls fits her better anyway.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Followed closely by Gensokyo the Gods Loved. I'm pretty sure Desire Drive and UFO Romance in the Night Sky rank pretty high on my personal top ten list, too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Eternal Steam Engine seems to be in a pile with things like most of Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream's soundtrack in the "doesn't even get remembered, much less remixed" category.

Not helping matters is the thought of tying together bagpipes and rock. It takes a very, very skilled hand to do that well.

Aliginge posted:

Can anyone hit me up with some more up to date metal/rock recommendations? I generally like Demetori, Sonic Hybrid Orchestra and Crow's Claw but they're a bit done to death with me right now.

I dunno if Magnum Opus is 'up to date' or not, since their last (full) album was in 2011, but they've been making stuff a lot more recently than the Wiki suggests. Hellion Sounds also came out with a new Touhou album last year, though after Magnum Opus and Demetori I'm less than impressed with them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CommissarMega posted:

No mention of Cosmic Mind? What is wrong with you people?!

...For some reason, Emotional Skyscraper doesn't even ping my conscious thoughts as "Touhou music" any more.

This might be because the Trinity Orchestra version of it is pretty much my favorite piece of music period, so it's transcended from the mortal realm.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Invictus posted:

The thing about Emotional Skyscraper and Nuclear Fusion is that they are incredibly hard to gently caress up. It takes genuine skill to screw those two up into a form that's not really listenable, and it tends to involve squirrel DJ voice or shrill japanese girl voices if they manage it.

Hell, even Okuu's Nuclear Fusion Dojo manages to be listenable despite being full of shrill Japanese girl voice and yukkuri-talker, and I pretty universally despise IOSYS's later stuff.

Their take on Emotional Skyscraper is hardly recognizable as the original song, so I'm not sure it counts though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zandracon posted:

IOSYS's stuff right now isn't really all that bad, I suppose if you just don't like any vocal or pop stuff then sure. They do more than those denpa/cutesy high pitched vocal arranges that got super popular!

Yeah, I generalize a bit too much about IOSYS, since Minami's stuff is still top-notch and I've liked the few more recent arranges/collabs that branch into other genres. It just seems like their main albums have gone mostly into denpa pop and non-melodic drum loops and shameless oontz (see: anything ARM arranges) so it's gotten harder to pick out the songs they make that I enjoy as opposed to the stuff that annoys me but goes memetic!

It doesn't help that I've got a pretty decent amount of nostalgia for Border of Death and These Two Wings, both of which are far more melodically-driven than their later stuff.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kheldragar posted:

So you would say that it's essentially feelings and images that she's reading rather than active words? I haven't actually read any of the profiles, I don't believe. In addition to that, I can't remember seeing where she has the ability to read an animal's mind. The only two I can think of would be Okuu and Orin, but even they're partly humanoid, so I just considered them human minds with animal shapeshifting abilities. I also can't see how the ability to read minds gives her the inability to know how other people think. Sure, she lives in mostly isolation for the most part, but I think that the experience she's had actually doing it will give her a better understanding of how those exact people think, which isn't actually a good thing.

My Touhou knowledge is slowly fading from me; Besides that, I don't think I've even bothered to read any of the official books and whatnot - your SoPM example included.

There's a few mentions of Okuu and Orin being only the tip of the iceberg, that Satori's practically got a menagerie of various animals in Chireiden.

And you've actually summed up half of why Satori has sealed herself underground! It's a mutual hatred; while she's feared for her powers, she's also come to dislike creatures that try to hide their feelings and thoughts behind lies and half-truths. She's much more comfortable around creatures that don't really act on ulterior motives, such as animals.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Takoluka posted:

Why did you choose Meiling's portrait over the glory of EoSD Sakuya when comparing a portrait of Sakuya???

...I assume he couldn't properly comprehend the true glory of EoSD Sakuya.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kheldragar posted:

I'll never believe that Mima is dead; I'll keep listening to Reincarnation over and over again until she comes back.

Am I the only one who wonders if Reincarnation is literally the only reason that people seem to obsess over Mima so much? I mean sheesh. So she has an awesome theme in the one PC-98 game that like five people actually remember favorably. :jerkbag:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Very rarely do I find a Touhou fanvid that legitimately confuses me the way that I've just been confused.

No seriously, what the gently caress is even going on here? :psyduck:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kheldragar posted:

Actually, no, I haven't. Hell, I've never even played a non-lunatic.

In your case, Mountain of Faith with its plentiful bombs would probably be easiest; IN doesn't scale well with difficulty at all and while it's the easiest on Easy and Normal, on Lunatic it's just a straight up wall of unfun bullshit after stage 2 thanks to the whole "familiar" system they've got in the game.

Subterranean Animism is the exact opposite, in that it's easily the hardest game on Easy and Normal, but Lunatic isn't too much harder than other games in the series, save for the brutal Stage 5.

PCB's a good, moderate-difficulty game all-around, but as noted...

Cernunnos posted:

I still say that IN is easier than PCB because Stage 4 in IN doesn't drag on for nearly 10 minutes.

It tends to drag in points. ZUN really wanted the entirety of Capital City of Flowers in the Sky to play in his game, I guess.

Stage-to-stage difficulty comparison is hard, since the complexity of spell cards and stage bullets gets higher with increasing stages no matter what, it's simply that higher difficulties make them faster, denser, and remove the margin for error. You can make a lot more mistakes on a Normal run without dying than on Hard, and so on.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 29, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MadRhetoric posted:

General consensus is that TD is incredibly easy and I should get around to playing it.

Miko is hardly a stage 5 boss, much less a stage 6. If you can get past Seiga without burning too many resources, you can 1cc the game with little extra effort. She's easily the easiest final boss in the series (A title likely held by Yuyuko or Okuu before TH13 depending on personal opinion) and I can't think of any other game in the series where the difficulty reaches its usual worst in Stage 4 and simply coasts along afterwards. Even EoSD, IN, and MoF, the three Windows games known for their particularly brutal Stage 4s, at least have challenge afterward for the players that get past them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

a cartoon duck posted:

Pop-quiz: Who's that Touhou? Touhou characters become kinda exchangeable once you remove their hats, huh?

Which is the reason people always herald ZUN as a master of costume design as opposed to character design.

Clarste posted:

While your point is true in general, straight shoulder length black hair is actually kind of rare in Touhou. I can't really think of who you might mistake her for.

And yeah, to be fair, black-haired Touhous are astoundingly rare, considered. There's Reimu, Kaguya, and.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Saigyouji posted:

Utsuho, Aya, Nue, Tewi, and Renko.

e: Oh, and Murasa.

I'm not entirely sure Renko counts, though I openly admit I forgot all of those and for some reason never actually realized Tewi had black hair. :psyduck: