Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So I'm making a medley of all of Marisa's themes because Touhou music's pretty great and I've been putting off making a Touhou music project for a while. I'm just wondering if I'm forgetting any Marisa songs.

I got Love Colored Magic, Love Colored Master Spark, Dim.Dream, Casket of Star, Witches' Ball, Magus Night, Oriental Dark Flight, and Magician's Melancholy. Am I forgetting any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm finding DDC a lot harder than the last few games. Stage 3 is tough for me for some reason, especially Kagerou's last card. Stage 4's not as bad, but stage 5 kicks my rear end, and stage 6 is mostly okay aside from that terrible survival card I just cannot figure out for some reason.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah, after complaining DDC was too hard, I played as Sakuya A, and with some good use of bombs, I could usually refund up to 5 or maybe even 6 bomb pieces in a few places, plus all the life pieces I got, I had plenty of lives to get through. I had 2 or 3 really dumb deaths during stage 3 and stage 5 and that poo poo wouldn't fly in any other game, I was surprised I finished the run at all.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Mazed posted:

It's difficult to imagine ZUN not deliberately setting the bait for some artists, with stuff like that. This is very easily the most badass EX boss theme the series has had.

In the meantime, though, Sukuna's theme sounds like a moodier take on Byakuren's, at least in parts. This isn't a bad thing, but I wonder if it was intentional.

One thing I love about ZUN's music in recent games is that each game starting at MoF has a very distinctive style to it, it stops the games from running together. MoF is eastern-style, SA has more occidental/western rhythms, UFO is carefree and jazzy, TD is beat-oriented and poppy, and DDC went full-out rock.

It's pretty great.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Evil Sagan posted:

Sort of out of curiosity, I decided to try some of this Touhou stuff. Per the OP's recomenndation, I tried out Imperishable Night... and loved it. I am terrible at shooters, so I just beat it on easy... first with continues and then later without any. Felt like a pro until I took on the Extra Stage, so now I'm dutifully trying to master Normal like I should have from the beginning.

Anyway, poo poo is rad and I can't get enough. I'm curious, though... is everyone in Gensokyo a psycopath, or just the people that can fly around and shoot bullets at insane speeds?

Also is there a gold standard for input devices? I'm currently using my keyboard, which is fine as far as I can tell. I still occasionally overshoot and hit a bullet when trying to dodge, but I expect that's just me being a scrub.

1. Everyone in Gensokyo that can fly and shoot bullets (the majority of people in Gensokyo) is a psychopath, idiot, or just generally a inconsiderate rear end in a top hat that doesn't realize what they're doing.

2. Input devices, unless you're playing the fighting games, is largely personal preference. Try it out with a gamepad if you want, and if you like it better, go for it. If not, stick with keyboard.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

unpronounceable posted:

I was planning on trying them when I had a good handle on hard for the different games. Maybe I should try the extra stages instead. I'll probably have more fun with it than trying to make my way through SA normal anyway.

Not that anyone's asking, but I've managed to 1CC PCB, IN, and MOF.

SA and UFO are probably the hardest games to 1cc clear on normal. I beat MoF and IN's Extra stages before I cleared SA and UFO.

Try out TD or DDC if you haven't already, they have a comfortable difficulty if you're decent at PCB, IN, and MoF.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
In a way I'd be glad that there would finally be "official" translations to use, plus I would be stoked to finally give ZUN money. I've been meaning to buy Grimoire of Marisa or Symposium of Post-Mysticism at some point to give him :20bux: or so, but the shipping costs have stopped me at the moment. Buying the official games at some point would be way better.

Even if it means losing "Bitch, get out of the way!" :colbert:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DrSunshine posted:

So what's the status on the English patch for the latest fighting game? I've been kind of out of the loop and might have missed some of the chat in the previous pages.

a cartoon duck posted:

A while ago the guys who usually do translation patches came in here and said they don't feel like translating and patching Hopeless Masquerade because they not only really dislike the game, TasoFro's code is also so labyrinthine and shoddy they don't wanna expend the effort for a game they don't actually like. So short of someone else rising up to the challenge you can wait a long time for a translation to come out. Just look at the translations on the touhou wiki and that touhou endings wiki if you need to know what the characters are saying.

Looks like it's not happening for the foreseeable future. The wiki will work fine in the meantime.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
ZUN has always been a huge inspiration to me, artistically, and one of the things I really admire about his work is his ability to take a short melody and mix it up, time after time.

Theme of Eastern Story is such a short, simple melody that I wanted to mess around with it a bit, and this is what came out. Hope you like it?

博麗の追憶 ~ Theme of Eastern Story

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Justus posted:

Just wanted to comment on this as I think it's great anytime a Western fan contributes music. There's plenty of fan art and such from the Western community but fairly little music.

That being stated, you've got some work ahead of you. I'd say spend some time focusing on your harmonization. I listened to some of the other work you've posted and it's a bit of a consistent issue. It kind sounds like you're coming up with your harmonization by just plinking around until you can go "well that's ok I guess". I think until you get more experience, you might wanna stick to basic homophonic principals like ZUN tends to (that is, a singular strong melody laid over a clear chord structure) instead of attempting melodic polyphony like you're doing.

I hope saying that isn't too mean or discouraging. For real, keep it up!

Dude, that's totally fine. I'm only 18, I got plenty of time ahead of me to learn new things, and criticism like this is good. I appreciate this a lot more than a flat "hey sounds good man!"

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kheldragar posted:

I'm a fan of the giant orbs that Yuyuko and Remilia use; it's just so satisfying to go right in between them and not get hit.

I was like you once.

Then Storm on Mt. Ooe happened.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Pureauthor posted:

I don't understand why you would make bullets that have hitboxes that are different from the actual bullet. It just encourages trial-and-error gameplay.

It aids with the spectacle, I think. It's more visually interesting to have TONS OF BULLETS on the screen, and it's satisfying to dodge them all, sometimes even going through them to do so. If all the bullets had the same hitbox as their sprite, there would probably fewer bullets on the screen and it wouldn't be as fun to look at/dodge.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

BlitzBlast posted:

Man the bubble bullets are the least confusing weird hitbox. Stars and arrows are where the real bullshit lies. :argh:

Normally I would agree with you, but then these pieces of poo poo happened.

e: whoops beaten, at least we had the same idea

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
ZUN's a good character designer, even if he's not quite good at making those designs work in his own art.

Like, hell, look at this:

Chances are those characters are recognizable to you. The man uses color pretty well, and his designs are distinctive.

Also he can draw frills pretty well. That's literally the only thing he's good at drawing. That and maybe hats.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kheldragar posted:

:aaaaa: Is there something that does this for all of the characters? I'd like to see how many I can guess right. (I was about to make a post doing the same for this set, but then I realised it's literally the MoF bosses in order. I couldn't guess the Aki sisters though.)

No idea, I made that a while back, along with most of the rest of the games. I only have a few, though, since most of them were hosted on Waffleimages. (gosh, remember that?)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Zeether posted:

They could sell the voice packs for the fighting games as DLC :v:

(Doubt that could happen though since those were done by a fan)

These exist? Are they any good?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
And now I know.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
DREAMIN'

DON'T GIVE IT UP MERRY

DREAMIN'

DON'T GIVE IT UP RENKO

DREAMIN'

DON'T GIVE IT-GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm doing A Thing, I suppose. Some touhou remixing because I haven't done any of that in any real capacity, and I figured Pristine Beat was a good place to start because it's loving great.

Nothing flashy at the moment, but it's still a draft, and I'm messing around anyway.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Clarste posted:

A good start, although a bit rough around the edges. I hate to criticize it in its current state, but I think the transitions between the softer, jazzy reinterpretation and the more intense original feeling of the song don't work very well. I'm... pretty ignorant on musical theory though.

Nah, that's what I posted it for, it's fine. And I get what you mean. I need to tone down the sax, make it a bit softer, so it blends in better with the piano and bass. The attack on the sax is too sharp, it's like feathering an image.

Tweaked it a bit, I'll keep plugging away at it, see if it works at all or not.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 12, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

KataraniSword posted:

Pretty much all fanboy Japanese can be translated to "I want to stick my dick inside a little girl". No, I take that back. Literally all of it.

The sakura* trees are beautiful in Glorious Nippon this time of year.

Translator's Note: sakura means little girl

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I've beaten all the games on normal now, but I'm hitting a wall on some of these EX bosses. Is there an agreed upon hierarchy with how hard these bosses are? I've beaten all of them except Flan, Nue, and Mamizou... And Marisa in FW I guess but fuuuuck that I'm not good enough at FW to do that poo poo.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah, my favorite part about EX bosses is that a lot of them are puzzles. It's why Koishi is probably my favorite fight, cards like Youkai Polygraph are just super creative and fun to do.

I guess with Nue and Mamizou I just don't like UFO or TD enough to get good at their EX stages. :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Brb livestreaming a 100% Double Spoiler run. What could go wrong?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
The only one I had to do via process of elimination was Medicine's, because who even plays PofV?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I should mention for some reason I could not remember Utsuho's name, so I put in "Okuu" and it totally accepted it :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Manipulating the Border of Winning and Not Winning would be pretty trivial for Yukari, I'd say.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Hina could use her stocked up fortune and misfortune to hit every green light, and make every person behind her hit the red :v:

Unrelated, I did one more Touhou music thing. This time Magus Night, and I actually really liked how it turned out this time, whoops.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Figured this is the best place to ask this.

I wanna get into other shooters, just to see how well I do at them after being with Touhou for so long. Where do I start? I started Mars Matrix the other day and I'm already getting the hang of it, but I dunno where to go from there.

What's the popular opinion on Cave shooters?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Here's the deal:

You get a free wish. But from that point on all music you ever hear is replaced with touhou horns.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I feel like a theoretical Touhou card game could get a lot more mileage and coolness-factor out of adapting the actual canon spellcard system into a TCG.

You activated my Virtue of Wind God. Everyone loving dies.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah gotta steal all those anime nerds from all those

other

granola bar brands

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
You guys the new game has achievements.

I'm gonna lose my mind I'm a huge achievement whore.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
e: ^^^ if anything I'd expect the "cheat" items to be a jab at stuff like buyable items and microtransactions that trivialize a large portion of the game you're playing.

the wildest rear end posted:

I'm pretty sure they're not.

Can confirm, already on the last stage with most scenes completed.

Ustuho and the rest of the former Hell gang aren't in there either. I guess Seija had no reason to go underground :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ProfessorProf posted:

This is the best Touhou game ever.

Anyone know what the umbrella does as a sub-item? I can't figure it out.

It just gives you 3 charges of the umbrella like you'd have if you equipped it normally. Not really exciting.

I only have 3 scenes to go: 9-6, 10-6, and 10-9. They're kicking my rear end. I've been running Tanuki doll/Miracle mallet but it can only do so much, I guess.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Since this is 14.3 now I wanna know what 14.5 is.

Too soon for a new fighting game, right?

I want a battle of the bands between the Prismrivers, the Tsukumos, and that punk band Mystia and Kyouko started.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Oh just so you all know, one of Marisa's cards is called LOVE SIGN "MACHINE GUN SPARK"

:allears:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

:toot:

A bit easier than StB or DS, but I still had a bunch of fun with it. Eager to go back in and try some scenes with different item combos. Also ZUN really outdid himself with the music on this one, I like it a whole lot.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yeah to be honest I tanked some of the latter scenes with the substitute jizo and the miracle mallet.

I had a lot of trouble with 10-9 but I ended up doing it with the mallet as my main and the doll as my sub. It was actually really fun and it was satisfying whacking Remilia in the face. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

a cartoon duck posted:

How do you even pull that off without Remilia exploding in your face? I just tanked it with the Jizo/Mallet combo.

Honestly though, the mallet is probably my least favorite item. Aside from 10-8 or whatever Tenshi's second spell card is I never really saw any opportunity to use it that wouldn't spell instant death to me. Meanwhile every puzzle that can be solved with the misdirection doll or whatever it's called is absolutely hilarious as your opponent just shoots in the completely wrong direction and you leisurely dodge stray bullets.

Whenever I used the mallet it was mostly to give a good whack before the actual card even started. On most cards it takes away around half the bosses health, which means less time you have to spend dodging. Not useful in all situations, but it was a fun alternative on some stages.