Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Falken posted:

Marisa is clearly hiding that Truck from the police so she can sell the goods later on.
She wants to hide the truck so she can keep Mew for herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SirPhoebos posted:

I know me and some others were talking about what a Touhou/Dynasty Warriors fangame would be like, and that first minute or so really caught that vibe.
I still need this is my life and would give Omega Force millions to do it if I could. Touhou Musou Empires. Think about it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does the enemy AI do on PoFV Lunatic? Just stop being hit by bullets entirely?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgbQOkW1cU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I haven't seen that in ages. Now I can't help but imagine a 4kids adaptation of Touhou.
Take it easy on the exam today, Marisa!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Keep in mind that Yugi Motou kept his own name in the 4kids dub, so Ray-Moon and Marsala could keep their originals.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ElMaligno posted:

Reimu is Reimu
Depends on what game you're playing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MadRhetoric posted:

Show us on the doll where the Yuuka fans touched you.

And Flan has sort of the same problem as Horo does in Spicy Wolf; personal pronunciation and transliteration and shaky handwriting/translation does strange things to stranger names.
But in Korbo's case, her creator confirmed the L in her name and had her name written in cursive English in the anime.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ranpire posted:

Even if we were interested, though, it's already clear that it would be a massive and hellish project. Tasofro's coding is FAR less mod-friendly than ZUN's, even in the best of circumstances. Here's an example. You know how when someone declares a spellcard in IaMP, the spellcard name and timer show up in simple text under your lifebar?

Yeah - that's not actually text. That is the spellcard name prerendered and stored as an image file, then displayed with on-the-fly transparency effects in to-the-pixel explicitly defined space on the screen...

Having experienced this before in doujin game translation, I recall dealing with this probably one of the easiest parts of graphic editing. I don't know if Tasofro does something weird, but the text is generally in a uniform grid on a .png, alongside a solid color .png "template" with" cutouts" for the text images. Essentially, you find the size of the grid blocks, and then the fun begins. I say fun legitimately, because in my opinion, half the enjoyment of projects like this is deciding on font styles, as you aren't bound by half-width system sans serif fonts. You can decorate it and stylize it however you want! It can be a tedious undertaking if there are tons of images, but having seen IaMP's source sprite sheets, I dare say I would have actually enjoyed that part.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BlitzBlast posted:

That and fitting in translated text. Divine Arts "Omnidirectional Demon Binding Circle" is a heck of a lot wider than 神技「八方鬼縛陣」 for instance.
Surely you can condense that to help, though? "Binding Circle" could become "Snare", for instance?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

Does anyone actually seriously expect Mima anymore? I thought it was a running gag.
We don't expect her. We just really like the Fantasia outfit.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ElMaligno posted:

Reincarnation done in the style of Magus Night would be the best thing.
Oh my god yes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oh boy, Touhou Goku is definitely what the series needed.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I heard a stupid rumor that ZUN confirmed Sakuya as a Lunarian along with this demo release. Any idea what that's about?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Specter posted:

It really says a lot for the whole place when the faction with the most blatantly unholy beings in it headed by the self proclaimed ancestor of Vlad the Impaler is the group least likely to gently caress you over.

Seeing this actually written out makes me laugh.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Who is the gooniest Touhou?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pureauthor posted:

That poll reminded me of a question I want to ask - Why exactly does Septette for the Dead Princess win the music polls so consistently? It's a nice song and all but I wouldn't even rate it in ZUN's top 5 of final boss music, let alone the entire series.
Otaku love garbage for no reason. That, or they really love Beethoven Virus.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DrSunshine posted:

So it seems that although she herself cannot travel back into the past to change it, she can summon stuff from the past and the future into the present? Instead of you going to the past, you bring the past to you? What if she tried summoning herself?

These questions are what doujinshi artists live for. We need this from you.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

a cartoon duck posted:

I really shouldn't be surprised given how little most Touhou fans seem to care about actual media created by ZUN, but I still cannot help but be really disappointed they cannot even be bothered to care about the official mangas more than I dunno, adult men pretending to be animu girls in some weird-rear end pseudo-biographical works and other crap like that.
Do you honestly think the general otaku population cares about the story and lore of a series with a nearly all-female cast? Let's be honest here.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

Well, even so, you'd think they'd want to read stories about cute girls snarking at each other and getting drunk.

Not enough emo Alice, not enough psycho Flandre, and not enough sex between them. Not worth the time, clearly.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Let's forget about that garbage and enjoy this version of ES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbihJ-3lvo

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Elliotw2 posted:

Wait, you like the ESOD/PCB art better than that from other games?

This is worse than ?

I mean, I most of my favorite characters are from the earlier games, but the newer ones are still good games with good character designs!
Why did you choose Meiling's portrait over the glory of EoSD Sakuya when comparing a portrait of Sakuya???

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Volt Catfish posted:

I think you're thinking way too much into it dude. It's just a shmup, not a visual novel. Just play the games drink some booze have some fun.

That may be, but there is a ton of underlying lore that goes with all of it that makes far more than a shmup. If anyone thought way much into it, it's ZUN himself.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In projects I've been involved with, we usually go with Lady (and Milady), depending on context.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Relambrien posted:

I'm fairly sure the word itself is French but when I read it I think of a knight bowing to a woman on a horse, so :shrug:
Which is how I feel about Lady/Milady. Very knightly.

The thing to consider is that there isn't a 1:1 translation for some of this stuff, and Lady or Dame or Madame could all be used of -sama and -dono. You have to use what sounds the most natural coming out of the mouths of actual people, both the characters and the readers, which is why I err n the side of Lady.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Onean posted:

That's actually really cool. A couple of the backgrounds looked bad, but the actual gameplay parts looked awesome. (Ikaruga is my favorite shmup, so I may be a little biased.)

You may be interested in eXceed 2 as part of the eXceed Collection on Steam.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

fanart-cirno seems to have a thing for thrones

WoW had a lot to do with that, I believe.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Devour or Fire posted:

The only failures continue to be the disgusting Mima-likers.

wow
you don't like thing
trophy

What character do you like?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pharohman777 posted:

I love the clothing design of the EX boss.

I like the fact that the EX boss abandoned her old body once she felt the mallet's power, and then went to the outside world for a new drum set...and some new clothes. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Raiko_Horikawa

She looks like she came from Umineko.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Captain Invictus posted:

I would hope he'd try to go with Steam first. That'd be the most logical way to go about releasing in the west.

It'd never happen, but I wish he'd let Carpe Fulgur handle the localization.

CF doing the translation would be pretty fantastic. They pretty much excel at localization.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Devour or Fire posted:

I wish I could meet Zun at Anime Georgia.

Just bomb your way there.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

HGH posted:

So apparently ZUN's coming to the US in two weeks? And he's made some autographed merch.

I'm not sure whether to laugh at or pity whoever ends up with a wall-eyed autographed ZUN art Tenshi shirt. Probably both.

This is the official shirt of the con, limited edition, limited stock. Also, this is the first time ZUN has ever something like this for an event, so this is a big deal.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hedera Helix posted:

What did he say about Mima, what did he say about Mima? :f5:

Basically "We'll see what happens!"

Rin Satsuki was also mentioned, and he basically went "No time to put her in" and just left her deleted forever. He thought it was funny that Touhou fans know so much about his games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

Frankly I'm kind of sad that he got so many silly questions about PC-98 and Satsuki Rin (whose full story is already known? why would anyone ask that?) instead of perfectly good silly questions about Gensokyo metaphysics.

He got like 2 questions about PC-98 and Rin. Other than a few stupid ones, all the questions were pretty great.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Volt Catfish posted:

What was the statement on potential overseas release for the games?

No plans. All speculation.

J-List is here and apparently, when talking to ZUN about licensing his games, were kindly told "I don't want to talk to you." So nothing right now.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

Someone tweeted that he was in talks about getting the series on Steam, apparently.

He said he likes Steam, but for him, it would be very difficult for him to work with it for distribution (as things are now).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

I didn't really get that part of his confusion because in GLORIOUS NIPPON there's a very high proportion of male Touhou cosplayers, too.

He clarified at a later panel that he was surprised at the diversity of the cosplayers, commenting on the male-female ratio. While there were a lot of male cosplayers, there were quite a few girls too.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kheldragar posted:

Ever think that Yukari and Ran had similar sounding themes? Yes? Well have you listened to both of them at the same time?

Someone took care of that for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J9daarKf64

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kheldragar posted:

Is there a reason you don't use the wikia?

Apparently, there was some community fallout as well, so pretty much everyone who runs the wikia is horrible. Or so I'm told.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Devour or Fire posted:

I tried to find Neko Scarlet but I guess it was taken down or something.

Neko Scarlet is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

This and a complete version of Cirno Racing.

The fact that there is still not a Touhou kart racer is mind-boggling.