Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is the second fantasy maiden wars fanpatched yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i'll take it, tahnks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*sneaks into thread wearing a heavy cloak, furtively glancing left and right*

anyone know where to get a download of fantasy maiden wars 2...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

leather fedora posted:

If you ask nicely I can purchase a copy for you and anyone else who wants one for that matter!
*winks* 'purchase,' yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

The number of non-PC-98 characters must be approaching triple digits at this point, of course most new characters will fade into obscurity now.

I doubt anyone's gonna care about Seiran and Ringo a couple months from now except for rare instances where they get paired up with Reisen.
part of it is also that the fanbase is dwindling, and a lot of the fanbase that does still exist is still focused on the same characters as they were in the past.

Like, people making MariAli doujins aren't going to pay any mind to the new characters, even if they're making touhou doujins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Most of the differences between routes are pretty minor honestly, you don't miss out on any units or anything. Like half of the first game is different and there are different items but in P it's like, 2 stages at the start and 3 stages towards the end, in I it's just the first 4 stages, and in D its literally one stage and also alice is an option for whatever reason. Just pick whichever of Reimu or Marisa you like more.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 22, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getting a glitch in FMWP where after the Yuyuko boss fight, the cutscene with Yukari spawning in just hangs when Yukari's about to spawn in. Anyone else run into this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ryza posted:

It's a known issue that we were never really able to fix. If your game somehow isn't 1.08 then update it to that and if it is then you might just have to replay the chapter again with the Japanese dat files then switch them back after saving.
Just wound up switching back and forth between the ENG and JP dat files, thanks. Didn't think that it was an issue with the TL patch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i might do an lp of labyrinth of touhou 2 if no one else has yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Is that game good I was looking at it the other day

i made a big post about it in the rpg thread:

Endorph posted:

also labyrinth of touhou 2 is pretty fun. it's an eo clone only instead of wandering the dungeon in a first person mode it's an overhead view of your main character and a bunch of little nodes for steps in the dungeon, kind of like a board game. it's the same basic gameplay loop as eo, but a little less 'high investment' since you don't have to draw maps and you can see the shape of the dungeon taking shape so you won't be constantly bumping into walls. and you can see boss fight and event icons even before you get close to them.

combat's pretty fun too, it's a 12 person party with 4 people active at any one time, and the idea is to focus a ton on switching characters in and out because enemies hit like brickhouses and all your heavy damage dealers are unlikely to survive sustained combat. atb too, with different actions setting you at different points on the bar, and some characters can manipulate party member's atb bars, and you can actually see the enemy's atb bars. fun stuff.

characters are pretty unique too, unlike eo's class-building system you get a ton of characters who all have unique skills and then 'subclasses' with generic skills that everyone can access, which allows for some fun customization. you can build the main character, reimu, as a hybrid attacker whose spells are based off an average of the enemy's defense and magic defense, so she never really gets owned by bosses with a high stat one way or the other, or you can just build her as a full-party healer/defense buffer, depending on skill investment. or rumia's got great, cheap spells but crappy stats, so you can focus on giving her a subclass that lets her spam her spells on generic enemies or you can try and boost her magic to the point where her spells are as good as they should be. its all good stuff.

only real thing id mention is that character building can be a little overwhelming at first since not only can you pick a stat for a character to increase on level up but you can also spend money to increase character's stats and even elemental resistances directly, and every character has like 20 things to consider what to level first, between their 2-6 spells and a bunch of passives. also some of the recruits are pretty easy to miss. fortunately the touhou wiki has a pretty comprehensive guide to the whole thing, and you can reset the at level stats and skills at anytime, the only thing you can't reset freely are the stats you put money into, and since that just burns money you can just burn some more if you're unhappy with how a character turned out. stats go up in cost as you increase them, but only that stat, so if you're like 'oh poo poo i should have raised minoriko's speed not her magic' you can just start pumping her speed on the cheap even if you're already invested a decent bit into her magic. it's also got a complete english patch, some text wrapping issues but its very playable.

its cool how there's some actual experimentation in the touhou fangame space, it'd be easy to just crank out 'literally etrian odyssey but with touhou' but ive never really seen a combat system focused on the things labyrinth of touhou 2's is. it feels like a really natural evolution of ffx but obviously the ff series didnt go in that direction, and ffx's only real successor, trails of cold steel, didnt really place much emphasis on character swapping anyway, it was more something you had to work yourself to make use of.

just make sure to grab the plus disk too, it adds like 6-7 more party members, about as many floors, and a few new skills for everybody. also kogasa becomes much better and why wouldn't you want kogasa to be better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anything that makes kogasa better is complete, in a spiritual sense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The fan translation calls Eiki by the wrong name. Game ruined.

to be fair it felt like even jp fandom had no idea what to call her for like a good decade there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hey everyone heres my FMW hard mode no newgame+ tier list. spoilers for fmw if you're following the lp of that.

top tier:
Reimu
Marisa
Dai
Koakuma
Mystia

Almost Top Tier
Alice
Rumia

So Good I feel Bad putting her in just High Tier but she joins with only the last two stages of 3 + all of 4 to go Tier
Parsee

High Tier
Meiling
Youmu
Shou
Mokou
Lily White
Flandre
Sanae
Yuyuko
Yuugi
Kisume
Momiji

Upper Mid
Koishi
Suwako
Keine
Orin
Nue
Yukari
Cirno
Satori
Rinnosuke
Shizuha
Murasa
Utsuho
Minoriko
Eirin
Elly
Merlin
Nitori

Mid
Patchouli
Shinki
Sakuya
Chen
Kaguya
Mima
Lunasa
Ran
Suika
Eiki Shiki
Tenshi
Kanako
Remilia
Nazrin
Ichirin/Unzan
Byakuren
Yumeko

Lower Mid
Kurumi
Aya
Suika
Yamame
Iku
Star
Letty
Lyrica
Luna
Wriggle
Hina
Medicine
Yuuka
Sunny

Low
Tewi
Reisen
Reisen Two
Kogasa
Hisoutensoku
Hatate

Komachi Tier
Komachi

this considers join time so thats why all the random good-to-great lategame units fmw4 throws at you are lower than a lot of the middling units from FMW2-3 and why no FMW1 unit is lower than upper mid. tanking a few of remilia's attacks when nobody else can tank those attacks is more useful than being a slightly better attacker than the seventeen attackers you already have. i forgot a couple of FMW4 units. i dont know why i made this. let's argue about this like fire emblem gamefaqs threads in 2004. i definitely overrated lily white but shes useful in the endgame of fmw2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nages posted:

But actually I think there should be different lists for different games since if the earlier a character joins in the series and isn't completely useless gives them unduly high ranking like Keine being great in 1, good in 2 and bad in 3 and 4. Lets start with 1:

God Tier:
Reimu (Reimu's route)
Reimu (Marisa's route)

Quality tier:
Keine (Reimu's route)
Alice (Marisa's route)
Daiyousei
Marisa (Marisa's route)
Keine (Marisa's route)

Ok tier:
Cirno
Youmu
Marisa (Reimu's route)
Nitori
Alice (Reimu's route)
Rumia

Around for one chapter and not even all of it:
Sakuya

the issue with rankings for separate games is that if you're doing a full playthrough of the entire series, getting pp and upgrades and levels in earlier games helps them in later games, so you still have to at least account for that

tbh rumia's the most interesting usecase for this since she's the worst unit in 1, amazing in 2, great in the first half of 3, okay in the second half of 3, and then good in 4 if you go all in on the bakas

also rankings for separate games would mean that komachi gets like the bottom of mid tier in fmw2 since she makes suwako not a huge pain in the rear end, and im not sure i can handle a list where komachi isnt the worst character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nages posted:

Also in a full tier list Komachi is a better unit than several units who contribute literally nothing like Tewi or Raysen because she at least has a purpose in the earlier games.

thats a valid point but on the other hand, shes komachi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She has daunt in the late game, she's great at killing mooks due to cheap, spammable attacks, she can tank hits off a decent number of late game bosses, and Darkness is a great debuff considering half your party is just rolling the odds with Focus against bosses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think characters clearly age to a certain extent and time kind of progresses, he just means nobody's going to be dying of old age or getting too far out of the age bracket they're supposed to be in. reimu and marisa going from 16 to 18 is fine, them hitting their late 70s wouldnt be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Charlie Bobson posted:

I'm playing labyrinth of touhou 2 right now and it is pretty much the coolest game ever

since the op is useless are there any other touhou games of similar or better quality? fanmade or official, either is fine by me

fantasy maiden wars. best boss battles in the entire srpg genre, also the only srpg ever to get these things right. also tons of variety between playable units. first game is a little slow since you only have 9 characters total so there's no choice, and a lot of the best features arent introduced yet, but the boss battles are still interesting challenges and it's only like 12 stages long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The fact that these games pass for innovative says more about the miserable state of the art of RPG design than anything else.
... no, not really? a lot of these games do have legitimately interesting ideas, and being fan games blending a niche genre (bullet hell) with what's usually another niche genre (super robot wars style SRPGs, wizardry style dungeon crawlers) naturally leads to invention.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The issue is that SRW fundamentally isn't a gameplay-focused franchise. The gameplay just exists to make animations and plot happen. They've tried more gameplay-focused titles and they've sold like garbage for a number of reasons, some unrelated to that innovation, but they've still sold like garbage. And as development costs increases and interest in mecha fades, SRW becomes a less and less sustainable franchise. I don't think I'd really call it 'creatively bankrupt,' just, literally bankrupt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what kind of fake touhou fan cant tell elly, ellen, and ellis apart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What gave you the impression he thought it was sacrilegious? He isn't thinking about difficulty of translation or anything, and the line about 'would the fans even want that?' isn't some kind of condemnation, he's just legitimately surprised by touhou's western fanbase.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i dont think i could date someone who was so fundamentally opposed to anime fandom that they werent into anime figurines even just existing in my space

like if it makes up enough of my life that im considering dropping 80 bucks on a figurine of it shes gotta be able to at least tolerate its existence. its not like, a failure on her part or anything, i couldnt date someone who religiously followed football every single day and wanted to talk about Stats, but.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Man, I'm not supportive of my hobbies. Anime and vidya are guilty pleasures for me.

Only reason I still go after them is because the only other hobbies around here are hooning and rugby.

a cartoon duck posted:

just enjoy things you dweebus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have satomi arai as nazrin please

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

to be perfectly honest i kinda don't appreciate touhou going gacha, especially when it's apparently super-popular among children in japan

just feels wrong to me

zun has said repeatedly that he doesnt want to profit off that kind of system so i really doubt itll be any kind of real money system

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but he approved of it pretty much under the condition that it not have that stuff from what i saw in interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Given they arent official you can just not play them if you sont like gacha, you arent missing out on anything the same way you arent missing out on anything if you dont play touhou soccer 2

My only issue is that kids might find them and not realize theyre not official