Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Any Lunatic LP's of the Touhou games that don't skip the dialogue? I know its mostly fluff that barely characterizes anyone beyond one or two quirks for fanon to latch onto with their talons but c'mon, I figure there's gotta be something content wise to it to make it worth reading.

Because I'm bad at the games and can't watch the dialogue myself even on Easy :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QG9m8KtFyE Yukari! :ohdear:

Anyone else have video's where the song also juxtaposes a narrative in the background? I have Laugh Maker, Locked Girl, Chiisana koi no Uta.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno if you meant to say "juxtopose" since that would mean a video with a contrasting meaning to the song, but in case that's what you did mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZENcO7tyy0

I couldn't find a translated version but rest assured that the song is not about a giant robot battle between Sanae and Alice.

Well, I figure contrast can be anything from "is different in kind from..." to "is revealing of..." I just meant any sort of video where you had the animation paired with the song, thank you and Onean though for the links.

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: I hope this was some kind of silly April Fools joke or something, because otherwise you just seriously tried to cram the entirety of a spectrum of Touhou fanworks under one label.

In fairness the songs that wind up in the "Related Videos" tab in Youtube do tend to fit the mold, it takes some luck or digging to find other kinds in my experience, and somewhat depends on the character as well.

Aya Shameimaru's theme vocals I've found so far have always been fast and upbeat, Flandre's likes to switch between creepy and murderous, Kogosa from Western to Jazz seems to have an undercurrent of something whimsically melancholic about it. There's always exceptions and they're great, but the search algorithm does seem to have a bias unless your specific.

e: Picking Cirno's Math class as a non-emo example is cheating. :colbert:

Though I love some me some Tomboyish Girl in Love arranges that are slow and lovely. :shobon:

e2: Although the first link was actually Kaguya's theme under closer inspections. :doh:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 2, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

Why? I didn't even link that anyways, but why would that not count?

It looked like one of the CMC renditions until listening to it (I correct myself in my 'e2'); but its a joke dude because Cirno != Emo is something I can easily see as a universal constant.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Speaking of Cirno, This one I think sums up why she's my favorite. :kamina:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That Oath of the Soul PV I just can't get enough of, I love how the danmaku works well as that fancy backdrop animation scenery...

Onean posted:

Hey, the recent Cybertron games were amazing. They're only tainted for coming out at around the time the Bay movies were, despite having absolutely nothing to do with them.

Beast Wars and Transformers Prime are also pretty drat awesome.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Found a Danmaku video I haven't seen before, Wish it had sound effects though.

Marissa being a sort of mentor figure to Flan after their first meeting is now Head-Cannon. Some of the 3D videos are impressive but only a few truly knock it out of the park and I would so watch something of this quality as a TV series.

e: Found one that's Reimu vs. Remilia I think by the same guy, a slight step down in quality but sound effects make up for it. Now I just wish I had subtitles for what I presume is the in game dialogue.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 29, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For me it has to do a lot with the Yamaxanadu rap video where she drags the 's' sound a bit; it could be a subconscious anglosphere/canadian thing as well. :shobon:

If Marissa is how we'ld spell her name as anglo's, I'm kinda actually thinking that it might be interesting to figure out a sort of anglosphere duality to their names. Like the greeks and romans had the same gods and gave them different names, some westerners who got Chinese citizenship have Chinese names and many Chinese people I know have Western names as well as their Chinese names. I wonder what the "Western" version of their names would be? Obviously for Marissa, Flan, Remilia and Alice our work is done as they already have Western sounding names. For example, for some reason I find Jessica would suit either Hijiri or Sanae, though Samantha might also fit Sanae?

Though on a semi-related note, I imagine a Anglo would nickname Remilia "Rem" instead of Remi.

I like overthinking things and its been on my mind for a while :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HMS Boromir posted:

On the subject of names, I'm still weirded out by Flandre's. It's not spelled the way Flandre normally is in katakana - it has a long o, like Fran Doll from Turn A Gundam. Flandre's a better name than that, but I wonder if that's what he was actually going for.

I always had the impression it was meant to approximate the French pronunciation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hazdoc posted:

You don't pronounce the e in Flandre's name, right?
Argh, thinking about character name pronunciation reminds me of Cirno. Threw me for a loop the first time I actually heard her name the way its supposed to be said.

I always pronounce it as "Sir-no", though I understand its closer to "Cherno", which is Russian for "Black", which is the opposite of white which is the traditional colour for snow, signifying that while Cirno claims to be the strongest she is rather the weakest. :pseudo:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Can anyone help me find the original track/its original name of this Meiling song in this video?

e:

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, that one's nice, but the Engrish is just a little bit too much for me. Its good for a listen or two, but I certainly wouldn't be putting that on any of my playlists.

It's going on mine though :D

I generally find engrish to be aesthetically pleasing at times, show's effort.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Copycat Zero posted:

According to the comments section (and the credits at the end of the video), "Perseus" by Hitomi Shimatani.

Thanks, I thought it was a Shanghai Tea House arrange :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CommissarMega posted:

Just popping in to say I've found an English-subbed, Japanese-dubbed version of Fantasy Kaleidoscope 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap5910bTGLA, and now I have the worst case of blue Yin-Yang orbs waiting for Part 2.

Same here buddy. :smith: :hf::smith:

I really want to hunt down that sound track, that's definitely a new UN Owen, Apparition that Stalk the Night and Locked Girl I'm pretty sure I haven't heard before. Anyone got any links?

Hokuto posted:

The subtitles on that Touhou anime video are filled with basic mistakes, which is pretty embarrassing when considering that literally everything is written on screen. Is there a way to fix Youtube captions without just re-uploading the whole thing yourself?

I'm curious, can you elaborate?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hokuto posted:

Edit: It's not my own video. That's unfortunate, oh well.

I combed through the first six and a half minutes just now before losing patience. Top entries are the Youtube captions, bottom entries are the more accurate translations. Seriously, this is basic amateur stuff.

Some of these at least at first glance I like the Youtube caption better, such as:

quote:

"Ah, of course not. I never said I didn't join you for a drink, did I?"
"Whoa, no, of course I wouldn't!"

It makes Aya sound like she's panicking a little better.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've found some English Touhou, 'Eurobeat' or whatever that music genre is. This version of this guys Septette of the Undead Princess I think is arguably the best with the most easy to follow lyrics.

I want more of different genres in English but they seem to be really really hard to find aside from Bad Apple. :(

Does anyone have perhaps a link to a English rendition of Foolish Tomboy in Love, Orange Jam aside?

I'm also pretty sure the Remilia/Meiling/Scarlet Devil Mansion prequel story "Beauty of Scarlet" updated and has some more translations.

On a related note I've started up watching Koishi's Heart throbbing Adventure and :stare:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks mates! My experience has been putting 'english' into Youtube's search just got me anything with english subtitles, which has been frustrating.

Also I've caught up on Heart Throbbing Adventure and I'm really hoping for a Doctor Who styled reset button, even though I treat every fan work as its own separate parallel universe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kheldragar posted:

Her stage one theme was dreadfully lacking though. Then again, it is stage one; since when has a stage one boss ever had a good-

So I'm supposed to be looking for arranges of Minoriko Aki's theme now right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've only glanced at the youtube lyrics once or twice as I'm working but something about the tone of voice and the few lines I've seen for this Patchouli song by Shibayan Records makes me think "This is now Head Canon."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I need help finding a song, its a Bad Apple arrange I know that much, I'm pretty sure it only has the word "Apple" but is otherwise was only various Japanese characters in the title on youtube.

My Youtube googlefu is weak. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

You sir, are a beast. :swoon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

She has the Canadian contigent backing her up.

:canada: here, for some reason ever since I saw the maple leaf on her shield my head canon is that she's some particular French Canadian specific wolf-breed native American spirit who emigrated to Japan.

Honestly I think its more fun than [Insert-Youkai-Here] that happens for most of the characters.

I want a Moose Youkai so badly. :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Touhou Minecraft Mod :allears:

I'ld be tempted for Master Spark, otherwise everything else I have better versions of in Feed the Beast. :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That 3D Reimu-Yuyuko fight has a very endearing style to the faces, Reimu in particular has a boyish look to her that's aesthetically interesting.

Linking this acapella arrangement of UN Owen was Her? by some dude, its awesome and I have no idea how people do that, its witchcraft.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And this is why I love these forums, such a small world :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does Zun's version of Satori being one-eye'd mind reading tentacle youkai have any original basis in folklore or is it just the mind reading yeti's I see on wikipedia?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In further evidence of my theory that mainstream gaming and the anime subculture have more overlap than most people give credit for Extra Remix features Jillian Aversa for her contributions to Video Game Music which includes her Remix of Spring Lane ~ Colorful Path from Phantasmagoria of Flower View

e: Corrected, I thought it sounded like Ancient Temple for some reason.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well my phone now has 15 new song. :v:

BUTA-OTOME (Pig Maiden...?) always struck me as being the LiSa for Touhou, I love how distinctive her voice has. The current song linked though has that weird waltz at the beginning which I'm pretty sure is from Nutcracker.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_ain%27t_over_till_the_fat_lady_sings

:psyduck: That's Hall of the Mountain King, it's not a waltz and it's not from Nutcracker...and... :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQxsyA6s90Y

I'm sorry. :blush: Good thing I didn't say Swan Lake right? (What first popped into my head) :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Speaking of games, I'm working on a Touhou themed game as a class assignment (originally supposed to be a 3D asteroids clone but I felt Danmaku was close enough to try that instead) and its probably going to be crap as fan games go and never get pass the prototype stage but I would like some input about my inputs, which would you consider to be more "fun".

Free form 3D movement.
WASD/Left Analog stick for short "dash" movements to dodge bullets.
Mouse/Right analog stick to control direction.
Left Click/Right Trigger for your own bullets.
Right Click/A Button for your own bullets.

Or
"Limited" Movement (You are always facing forward so no "turning")
WASD/Left Analog stick for "normal" movement similar to the original games.
Mouse/Right analog stick to control camera a little like in a flight sim.
Left Click/Right Trigger for your own bullets.
Right Click/A Button for your own bullets.

[This would be more similar to Zelda with Link moving around the target]

Or some other suggestion?

I think gameplay would most closely resemble that one level from Star Fox 64 where you had the giant spaceship in the middle of an open environment and you doing hit and run attacks on it; since it after all as an assignment has to loosely resemble Asteroids.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

brave nazi aviator posted:

For the second set, would it be a fixed reticle or would the mouse control aim as well?

For the second set it'd be closer to how it works in the original games; Marisa shoots straight ahead and Reimu's (if I get around to her) would home in on the currently locked target.

Widdiful posted:

I think a mix of both would be fun. You said how the second example is kinda like locking on in Zelda and I thought that you could use the first set of controls normally and lock on to something to use the second set of controls. I'm not too sure about how your game will work, though, so this might not be possible.

Its certainly possible, I hadn't thought of it, I suppose there's no reason to not have both. It is just a matter of time, minor scripting and figuring out which button would be work as the targeting mode button (Probably right bumper).

The original idea was to have it play like starfox or like Zelda (but in the air); as you say both is actually probably ideal and its not hard to implement.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone got a vocal version of Hisui's theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does anyone watch Mizuki Hitoshi when he live streams his karaoke on NicoNico? I decided to click his tweet today and just discovered it for the first time, I love this.