Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any Lunatic LP's of the Touhou games that don't skip the dialogue? I know its mostly fluff that barely characterizes anyone beyond one or two quirks for fanon to latch onto with their talons but c'mon, I figure there's gotta be something content wise to it to make it worth reading.

Because I'm bad at the games and can't watch the dialogue myself even on Easy :shobon:

There are like three on these very forums, Zorak's runs of 1 through 6, Rising Grandpa did 6-9 (but needs archives), and Tsym is doing 10 onward in that thread Arujei linked.

If you truly are super-bad at the games, and just want to read the dialog, there's always the half-speed option, though I think 10 onward took it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Falls Down Stairs posted:

In the meanwhile I really wish Zun's visit to the USA would bring him anywhere even sort of close to where I lived rather than way off in Atlanta. :sigh:

It's absolutely terrible that he decided to visit Atlanta the year that I finally move away from there. Hopefully he'll visit more places as part of his trip or maybe even next year.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's already April Fool's Day in Japan so expect to see a lot of fake game announcements and stuff. The first one I saw is a remake of Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream.

I'd be perfectly happy with that if it meant the network play would work better.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Onean posted:

If you're talking about finding someone on pixiv with just one of their images, than Google's image search allows you to drag-and-drop images to search by them, or you can upload one by clicking on the camera icon in the search bar. (Google's search result. Clicking the top link leads to a pixiv popularity listing, and finding the image there, about halfway down, will lead you to the artist's page for the image.)

That doesn't work perfectly though, since Google doesn't search pixiv itself, for whatever reason. People should just link/name the artists/art more!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

This isn't quite as far as yours, but whatever I get bonus points for hard. I'm able to beat it like this, but this will do for now. http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=27825

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mazed posted:

Not to disrespect your own enthusiasm for them, but by the time it gets to where someone's custom-titled you about it, it might be worth taking into consideration.

For some ungodly reason I'd never thought to actually track this manga down and read it. Now I will.

Speaking of supporting official Touhou products: Does anyone know if importing the games from sites like Paletweb properly gets royalties out to ZUN?

It looks like the expenses must add up, but considering what goes into making these games and what you get out of them, it seems right and proper.

ZUN likely gets most of that money, since I really doubt that paletweb is burning their own CD's or whatever. That $40 in shipping though...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Artificer posted:

Ask Nitori.

In unrelated news, I need to figure out how to groom my hair now that I've got an antennae shoved into the back of my head.

I'm not sure about meth but as part of the rent the crazy white-haired doctor lady keeps injecting me with stuff.

Send help.

Anyways, after IN, which is generally considered to be the next easiest?

I think most people call Ten Desires the easiest one now, though Mountain of Faith is likely number 3 for least difficult.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Clarste posted:

I suppose it's not unheard of for dubbed anime characters to get drunk on tea or milk.

I don't know, it'd be pretty weird for the whole cast to get drunk on tea though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Ugh, reading some of the comments on the touhou tag team wrestling comic on danbooru... well I don't know what I expected. So many people complaining about the dumbest stuff. I probably shouldn't have expected anything more, though.

Internet comments are stupid as poo poo, and ones on touhou stuff are possibly literally the second dumbest thing in the world.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Just wait, DDC will have unlockable characters.

(Beat the game on Lunatic with Reimu to unlock Sanae. :ssh:)

No, based on the last game with unlockable characters you need to 1cc all stages on lunatic with all characters.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

He was talking about IN's solo characters.

EDIT: Also StB is waaaay harder than DS.

I was mostly talking about DS, but yeah, all touhou unlockable characters are annoying, except sometimes in the fighters.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Assuming the "background characters will not be playable" theory holds true,

don't get your hopes up.

It can't then, because Byakuren will have like one other person on her side.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Was alphes always this terrible at art and I just never noticed, or is this a new thing with Hopeless Masquerade? Because seriously. Ichirin's probably been hit with it the worst:

Girl got some stumpy-rear end limbs.

e: didn't realize how big that pic was.

Yeah, Alphes is kinda poo poo at drawing, and also I hate his style.

edit: I just noticed, why are half of Ichirin's clothes transparent?

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 19, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, we get Nitori to round out the shinto team and Sanae gets stuck on background duty? What the hell?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Is that ZUN himself chilling in the hot spring/lake there?

It looks to me that it's a bunch of generic kappa, assuming that they all wear the same hat.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Okay, so what's the final cast again? Reimu, Marisa, Hijiri, Miko, Nitori, Koishi... I know I'm missing people.

You forgot Futo and Ichirin.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

nekoxid posted:

I may be wrong, but I think almost every Tasofro game had a day 0 patch?

Does this make them bad coders, or is it a ruse to make sure that it doesn't get leaked?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Having played as all of them now, I can safely say Byakuren's far and away the best character in Hopeless Masquerade.

edit: Miko is a cool close second

Miko has a badass cape she stole from Utsuho's closet or something, so she's clearly better than Byakuren.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It hasn't hosed up my other patches, but it did take me like a hour to figure out how to tell it what folder to search rather than dig through all my other crap. It's really needlessly complex and goofy, I want a normal patch.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

The most important question remains, however- do the characters have spinning animations? :colbert:

Nope, no spinning animations, but most of the characters have fantastic sprites anyway.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Meiling's story mode is a literary master piece and not exemplary for the genre as a whole.

On a different note, after giving every shot type a good shake in TH14, is it just me or is this actually pretty difficult? Granted, I thought the same thing about TH13 when the demo first came out so I dunno how my opinion will change in the future, but right now things seem to get pretty tricky even at the stage 2 boss.

I'm finding it kinda hard, yeah, and the stage 2 boss is really hard. There's something about her laser eyes that makes it so that I just can't dodge the drat things well at all.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, why does she have 6 misshapen fingers on her back hand? And whatever the gently caress that is in the front goddamn.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Maximum Chenergy posted:

I keep all my touhou related stuff in Program Files and haven't had a single issue with any of the patches, although the new patch system doesn't recognise my 1.02 of EoSD but that isn't really a huge concern like computer freezing.

What I have had a problem with is getting the new tasofro patch to have the right file path. Kind of annoying that windows can't handle a \ in Japanese.

It totally does, it just happens to look like a yen sign.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

It seems Kagerou is the most popular of the new characters, judging from the amount of fanart I see of her. Though to be honest, I like her too. The mermaid chick is kind of cool too, I guess.

From what I've seen, all three of them are pretty popular. Both the mermaid and headless girl have a good bit of fanart on pixiv from what I've seen.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Aliginge posted:

I dunno, some of these names are unrecognisable as Touhou characters but they'd make loving incredible racehorse names.

Village Gauze Watertight
Star Bear Yong Yi
Taken Up River Castle
Spirit Road Crow Sky

and my personal favourite

Small Umbrella Good Many

:v:

The gently caress translation tool are you using? Google only fucks up 3 of those to me

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Where did all this popularity for Koishi come from?

She's really cute in HM? That's about all I can think of unless she showed up very recently in a manga or something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

I'm sure I was just making things up at that point when trying to come up with things for how Satori is. I shouldn't look too deep into flying anime girls created by a Japanese man who drinks too much booze. Words to live by. But, then again, I was referring to the Youkai of Japanese lore rather than the actual ones in the series. Why do we create monsters the way we do in our folktales? What does it tell about ourselves? A conversation for another place and people smarter than I. But then again, cute anime girls.

If you want to talk about actual folklore, Japanese or otherwise, I'm pretty sure there's multiple threads in other forums, and there might still be that one about Asian/Japanese mythology in particular somewhere in ADTRW itself!

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3491291 Here it is if you have archives!

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 17, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

Bluh, every single game after Mountain of Faith I've pretty much despised even though my favourite character does come from SA. Even though Ten Desires kind of fixed my whole problem with the new continue system and bombs being linked to your power, there's something about the "new" art style and just the way the games are presented that prevents me from liking them as much as 2 through 9 (PCB will always have a favourite place in my heart because it's the first game I ever beat). Also, from the fact that I'm a bit too lazy to look up information, is why I'm still pretty much in the dark about the new game. I've seen the Dullahan character once, and the thought that comes my mind is, "Wait? This is a Touhou character?! She's doesn't even look like one! Pass." Every game that's come out since I became a fan, which is two, has basically had characters that I've not considered to be part of the series. I wonder if it's like that for everyone with every game. Ten Desires characters are beginning to grow on me a little, though.

vvv In a completely Japanese style house, no less.

Wait, you like the ESOD/PCB art better than that from other games?

This is worse than ?

I mean, I most of my favorite characters are from the earlier games, but the newer ones are still good games with good character designs!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

That sounds very cool. Too bad hitting 100% is practically impossible outside of Practice.

Hitting 100% isn't too hard since the latest patch for whatever reason. When I don't play like poo poo, I can usually get it before the end of a match in vs Com.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

Just to make it clear, IN is considered to be the easiest game, right?

Basically, though it'll gently caress you up in later games, since it has super lenient deathbomb windows, and basically everyone is pre-determined rather than aimed or random patterns. It's a good enough game to start on though!

edit: It's kinda divisive I guess

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

Utsuho, Aya, Nue, Tewi, and Renko.

e: Oh, and Murasa.

But Utsuho and Renko have brown hair!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

So we can't count Rinnosuke as a magical old dude?

He's not super magical, nor particularly old, so no.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Tengames posted:

The countdown for the new release is back again.

Ive never tried the actual patcher to see if its any good though.

The patcher was a pain in the rear end to setup, and the translation quality for ddc was really really bad.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

ZUN is pretty good at that. Look at Rin's really elaborate galaxy dress that no fan artist seems to bother re-creating.

Basically every game has someone with a crazy complex dress, it's one of ZUN's things.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Maximum Chenergy posted:

no it's been there since EoSD. Although ZUN did like using a few more violin-esque synths. I think people just remember Border of life and Necrofantasia since the trumpets are very noticeable in those songs.

Ughh don't remind me about the ESOD trumpets, they are the worst things ever.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hokuto posted:

"Honey, my 480 seat room hit capacity and they had to cut off the line. Holy crap!"

That one's great because I was on the outside of that capacity limit.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

To be honest, the PC98 games aren't super great compared to any of the Windows games. I don't think you're ever going to see them again outside of emulators.

If you're really desperate for an ultra patch, just turn the frame limiter off and play on lunatic at 6x speed

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

HGH posted:

So ZUN just tweeted he's releasing another game at Winter Comiket(29-31 December). No demo this time. Off the top of my head I'd say this is either more photography or "MINOR CHARACTER'S EXCITING ADVENTURE" again.

I hope it's another vs shooter one, with better netcode. Also I'd like a million dollars and a personal spaceship.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you google around, there are a lot of runtime packages floating around you can download. Just make sure you get the right version since later versions don't play well with old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

My personal problem with the dynamic patcher is that it's a pain in the rear end to use in JP locale and multiple hard drives. There's also something to be said about the translation quality, but now it's about equal with the rest of the games.