Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
At least that'll make for a nice Christmas surprise. And then HRtP for next year to end the series.
And hey, he managed to make PoDD look pretty great, which is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: also that new "Zwatch" player is an April Fool's joke too...I hope.
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. The video player seems exactly the same as it used to be, unless you're talking about an actual game player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Looks like the new web demo for Hopeleess Masquerade just got released!
Don't expect to actually get to try it though, seems there's way too much pressure on the servers right now.

quote:

Known new content:

-Netplay

-Faith system implemented?

-Same 3 characters, more skills

-New stage: Human Village, Marisa's stage, BGM: Magus Night

Human Village bystanders: Rinnosuke, Suika, Yuugi, Eirin, Tewi, Kaguya, Udonge, Mokou, Keine

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, looks like the art's not going to be improving anytime soon. Keeping in tradition of course!

Anyway, here's a functional link to the trial.
And some details about the mechanics that I'll just shamelessly copy:

quote:

Faith:

Shintoism - shooting range specialization.

More bullets, better homing; lower capability to destroy other bullets, bullets have greater tendency to disappear after being grazed.

Taoism - shooting speed specialization.

Better speed and penetration, greater grazing friction; worse homing.

Buddhism - close combat specialization.

Larger bullet hitbox; significant lower range. "High speed attack" (arrow key + strong attack) can be comboed.

Chicken Guard:

Press "attack" to defend (?), audience dislikes it.

Brave Guard:

Press "back" when the attack is about to hit, audience likes it.
Maybe it's just me but that blocking mechanics seems backwards. You'd think people would like to see parries and stuff.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly that still seems like Reimu to me. What the hell religion does she have anyway? Her shrine doesn't enshrine a god or anything right? It's just where she lives and maintains the barrier from. All she does is go around smashing other people's organizations.

edit: speaking of Reimu, this came up today, it's pretty nice.

Well, actually, that sorta got answered recently. Chapter 17 of OSP got translated a week or so ago, and it pretty much dealt with that issue. This is a bit out of context but sorta answers those questions.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I guess this is really tangential, but ZUN's attending yet another beer convention and selling his own brew, "Super Red the Nightless Castle". Of course, any purchases comes with its own free coaster:

Shoulda known he was a vampire all along.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So the cover for HM/13.5 got revealed!

...The heck is that blob even supposed to look like? I know we've criticized the really weird art for the portraits so far but if that's a humanoid then they really take the cake. Well, unless they're wearing some really fancy clothes or something. Lotsa branches around too. Unless those are weird fireballs?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of that scanlation analogy:

Vertical speech balloons probably complicate whatever they had to do tenfold.

Actually, I'm curious now, how was the dialogue in 12.3 done considering the speech balloons there?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well, the whole religion arc is over so I guess Sanae gets to go back to the sidelines now. Time to bring back the old guard.

Nice to see Marisa has finally brought back her flamethrower Hakkero. Speaking of which, that's not the usual shottype select it seems. Seeing as it's a Weapon Selection instead, maybe you can mix and match the various kinds of bullets and bombs?
Anyway, in that screenshot of Marisa, she has the Hakkero equipped, along with Illusion Laser and Hakkero Flames. Her bomb however, is called Dark Spark. Now I wonder if it's just a big black laser or is more intricate.

Not sure what's up with that boss in the last picture. Looks like it's wearing a red hood? Although she does have a sword it seems. EDIT: No wait that's just Sakuya's knives going through her hand. Woops.

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 10, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since Reitaisai is closer than ever, is there anything interesting to check out other than the two official games as far as music and fangames go? I've yet to see any news of who's attending and such.

Speaking of music, I stumbled across this remix of Mystia's theme done in the style of Snake Eater, which was pretty cool (despite not understanding half of the lyrics).
Also here's a MMD sequel to that one "Sakuya doesn't get to be playable" video that was posted in one of these threads at some point in time.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
HM now proudly presents the newest character, the ...tiniest taoist ever:

I was almost sure this was fake but then I looked at the page and yeah, that's what she looks like. Not sure what the heck's up with Alphes.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tengames posted:

the screenshot posted has silver hair instead of brown so That's just Futo.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes, that's definitely Futo Mononobe.
It's unfortunate that she seems to have misplaced her hands. Hopefully they'll turn up before too long.

I was just making a dumb joke about how weird looking she is in that art, definitely recognized her though.

ElMaligno posted:

As long as she has her boat I am fine with her lack of hands.

I don't know about boats but it says there that her Last Word is essentially "Burn everything, the spellcard edition". I think the boat will probably be in like how Komachi used it back in SWR though, it'd be a waste otherwise.

EDIT: And her unique mechanic is, apparently, smashing plates. You set up plates on the field, break them, and that causes her to power up. The power ups don't go away between rounds either.
And here's another screenshot:

Didn't know the Mausoleum moved into the middle of a lake.
I'm guessing Miko's gonna be revealed tomorrow, because Futo's profile mentions going after her and "taking care" of the people she beat up.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 18, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Man, look at that evil cape. She looks like a silly RPG villain now.

Also, her special ability icon is... a dumb old meme?

Seems like the way this works is that Miko actually uses popularity to power up, and when her popularity is low she'll be weaker. Her cape changes colour as this happens as well. Last Word is a giant laser sword that slices through the middle of the screen.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Where do you get those pictures, anyway? I can't find them anywhere on Tasofro's site.

I jumped into the future and took them myself (alternatively you can find them on Tasofro's blog page here). That's usually where the 2nd picture is posted for some reason.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Hokuto posted:

On a different note, I've been playing The Genius of Sappheiros lately. I've enjoyed it even with the amount of dickery they throw at the player, but for the first time, the wikia walkthrough hasn't helped me get past a roadblock boss. Tenshi seems to be this giant immutable wall of hit points that is impossible to break.

There's not much to do other than spam Dark and Electric attacks, take Drill as a warning for Magnum Stoneshower the next turn, and never, ever use field effects. Reimu's barriers or Alice are pretty much required here. Just try to raise up Earth resistance as much as possible, I think Alice has a skill that can do that in battle as well. As for damage, I'd suggest a combination of Youmu and Byakuren, so that you can make Youmu hit for buffed up dark elemental attacks while also debuffing Tenshi. You'll also either need Marisa or Patchouli to control the land gauge somewhat.
It's been a while but I hope this isn't too far off the mark, I remember that's what I did to beat her.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
From what I understood that said that Koishi was the last character to be revealed on the game page. There's no telling if there'll be more characters (excluding new ones) that we'll only find out about when the game comes out.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Apparently someone dug up and posted the roster back in January from the original demo, with all the characters we know of so far plus one more (Mamizou). I can't find the post but I've seen this passed along in several places and was wondering if anyone had heard more about it?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hey kids, would you like your very own solid gold Cirno? Well now you can get it for the low, low price of whatever the hell this says:

Reitaisai's gonna start in about 6 hours but apparently HM has a critical bug, so the devs are going to have to make a day 0 patch instead of finalized gameplay trailers.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
For anyone who didn't catch the streams, here's a Normal runthrough of DDC's demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzFj8sUwSHI

I'm liking the music. No idea what's up with the mechanics though. The game seems to be throwing bomb pieces all over the place, making fake shadow bullets and life pieces seem really rare. Something to do with points I think?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wow. I skipped over Marisa B when I saw she had the missiles but I really missed out there. I'm sure this is way less egregious on Normal and Easy though. Otherwise, yeah that bomb really needs a nerf. And here I thought Sakuya was the one who could really score well...

Also, man is Nitori a jerk in HM.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 27, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Meanwhile, our intrepid human protagonists are too busy spending their time on productive activities to gently caress anyone over:

(This is probably from FS chapter 7, but I can't find that so it's probably from the draft version)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
And then CiLR comes in and says the reason Yukari did that was to freak out/intimidate Eirin and let her know who's turf she's on. And from the latter's reaction, I'd say that worked well.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Well, after playing a bit of Hopeless Masquerade, I can safely say that Miko is pretty fun. Though to be honest, she's kind of hard to actually do well with. I might pickup Byakuren or somebody else in the meantime. Maybe Koishi, though I'm not sure how well I'd actually be able to play her.

Koishi is really confusing for me(as she should be). Half of the time I have no idea what button presses prompted what attack, and I'm still not sure on how to trigger most of them, but nonetheless it can pretty fun and it's really unique.

Just remember that your playstyle is radically altered by what deck you're using. Buddhist Byakuren is pretty much all melee whereas Taoist Byakuren gives her more long range options. Your moves really change a lot between decks, it's pretty interesting to mix and match to find what you like.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Touhou 14's cover has been revealed:

Can't find a bigger image. That silhouette is even weirder than usual. I guess I can see feet and a thumbs up?

Also Tasofro is selling HM/13.5's OST for C84, which apparently has some music that has yet to be patched into the game. I never realized how incomplete it really was.
The cover's pretty weird though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Very rarely do I find a Touhou fanvid that legitimately confuses me the way that I've just been confused.

No seriously, what the gently caress is even going on here? :psyduck:

The guy who makes these usually has a lot more visual jokes. I think this is like the third or fourth one he's made so far?
Anyway, he makes a bunch of amusing or silly scripts, like that one All-Star video or the incredibly unfair level. I don't he's ever released them though.
Anyway here's the playlist if that interests anyone.

a cartoon duck posted:

Holy gently caress you guys stop sperging about shmups and play more shmups.

I don't really get this. I mean there's so much side material and books nowadays. Is it that bad for some people to want to discuss the characters?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think her wrap around gimmick is annoying. It's not too hard to understand but I can see people messing up because of it. And then there's all her moving around really fast, and the fact that you can easily die if you accidentally unfocus without noticing there's a yin yang orb on top of you.

Speaking of difficult things though, the people who made that Jesus/Christianity themed game made another one recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz6Obi1xBWg

I feel like these bosses have too much health. The game also has a second harder loop. All the over the top stuff reminds me more of a Cave game than a Touhou one.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm gonna be perfectly straight with you here, the only thing I took away from your post is that comiket is coming up soon meaning that we'll get the full version of Touhou 14. Who even cares about fangames when you get an official game.
It's not like you only have to be excited for only one of these things really. Although I'll admit few fangames are worth getting too excited over.
Except this. So much waiting and finally it's done. Of course that means it'll be totally awful instead just to curb my expectations.

Copycat Zero posted:

He probably didn't have to do anything. He just said, "Her brother was Myouren", and at least a subset of the Japanese audience went, "Oh, okay, gotcha".

Admittedly, I don't know how pervasive the stories about Myouren are, or if it's one of those things where "the Western student of Japanese culture knows more about Japanese culture than the Japanese do" (the Myouren picture-scrolls are apparently notable enough to have been covered in my "Art of Japan" class).
Nah, that's not what happened. IIRC, ZUN planned the final boss to be Myouren, then he went "Wait a second, an old man final boss? That's not right at all! I'll just make up a sister for him." and that's how we got Byakuren.
I think his other idea for a final boss was actually just a giant UFO or Space Invaders thing.

leather fedora posted:

I just want the next part of that Valkyrie Profile-ish game to come out already.
Didn't that turn out to be a disaster? Kinda fitting considering the name.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
New picture of DDC from some interview scan:

Seems like the stage 4 midboss, and the return of musical note bullets.
Totally Mima guys.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So apparently ZUN's coming to the US in two weeks? And he's made some autographed merch.

I'm not sure whether to laugh at or pity whoever ends up with a wall-eyed autographed ZUN art Tenshi shirt. Probably both.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Word of advice for everyone doing the PoFV tourney: agree who gets to save the replays before the matches, or else you might accidentally destroy all traces of your long, very close 3 round match and have a bunch of rematches instead.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Namtab posted:

Yo HGH and CuddlyZombie please play your loser bracket match by the end of Saturday.

But we already played it like 2 weeks ago. We lost both replays because of a gently caress up with PoFV. I'm pretty sure I sent a message about it too and asked on IRC but never got an answer.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just ran the game with the new update. The new moves are not that game changing, but they're pretty nice. I still wonder how much of the game isn't actually done or if they have more plans.

At the very least, we get to have surfing chickens and Buddhist Speedy Gonzales.

And a really stoned looking Unzan.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

You kind of have to be a weirdo to clear all the games on Lunatic, to say nothing of scoring :v:

Speaking of which, the latest LP of the games here was playing on Lunatic and was just about to start TD on Lunatic before it just suddenly stopped, which sucks because I was looking forward to that game in particular. I think people who haven't should check it out before it drops into the archives forever, which should be soonish.
EDIT: And of course as soon as I post this there's an update.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 23, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So ZUN just tweeted he's releasing another game at Winter Comiket(29-31 December). No demo this time. Off the top of my head I'd say this is either more photography or "MINOR CHARACTER'S EXCITING ADVENTURE" again.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

Update: Apparently this was a translation error. There is no new ZUN game. He was just commenting on the games other people were releasing (as they always do, every year).

Well darn. Sorry about that. Oh well, shows me how stupid immediately spreading news is. At the very least I wasn't getting my hopes up since I assumed it'd be a small game anyway. Still, nice of ZUN to promote other's games like that.

Hopefully there'll be less incomplete games rushed out for release this Winter. Surprised by the amount of them that had day 1(and 2, and 3,etc...) patches and were completely broken otherwise. I'd say something about development cycles here but I have no idea how these people work anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Leylite posted:

So, JynX, the author of the Len'en series of Touhou-like shmups, as well as of several April Fool's Day animated "remakes" of the PC-98 Touhou games, released another video this evening - "Re: the Story of Eastern Wonderland".

Essentially it's a combination of Windows remixes of Mima's stage theme and boss theme from Story of Eastern Wonderland, some new JynX portraits (that look almost exactly like all the other ones he's done, in ZUN-art tradition), and some re-imaginations and twists on the danmaku involved, without actually doing anything like releasing a playable game. The results are usually sort of hit-and-miss from a game-design point of view, but are at least well-animated.

I was totally gonna post this but got caught up in stuff and forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder. Kinda look forward to these every 9/4 months.

Looking back at it, Mima was...kinda pathetic for a final boss. I guess that's what you get for being the original. Loved that he used all her themes, especially the HRTP one.
Also there seemed to be way more intentional deaths this time around, I think the Offensive Shottype(is that what it's called?) he made was a bit too strong, and kinda made showcasing the spellcards and music a bit difficult.
I only just realized that Marisa's PoFV theme seems to borrow heavily from the SoEW's main menu, it's actually kinda interesting.

Speaking of which, he did actually release a MS album at C85 but apparently immediately sold out. Hopefully he'll make more eventually, since at the very least his remixes are rather good.

Golden Battler posted:

If you've never seen them before, by the way, it's worth checking out his Len'en series.

Evanescent Existence
Earthen Miraculous Sword

EMS in particular has the coolest loving Last Word I've ever seen.

His stage design is really bad compared to his bosses. The bosses all have pretty fancy attacks and gimmicks and make you think how to dodge even starting with stage 1, but most of his stage enemies seem to consist of "high speed weaklings that appear suddenly and all fire streamable bullets". They're still nice games and have interesting mechanics though, but he really needs to work on the levels for the third game.
His original music is still pretty fine though.

Also, the Touhou LP died/fell into archives. Alas, the mediocrity of TD managed to kill even that. It had a good run.

HGH fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 2, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

I could hypothetically do this with some assistance, but then I remember my various attempts and failures to work up the effort to LP Genius of Sappheiros, and it just seems like trying to LP an inferior game would be a lost cause.

I can imagine it'd be a pretty ridiculous endeavor to do GoS. Just playing normally can take so long, let alone having to set up screenshots and write giant posts and mechanic explanations.
Some people are still working on actually patching DoD but I feel it's a lost cause. Speaking of which, SB are rereleasing it with supposedly reworked/simplified mechanics(using their third major game, which I have actually heard nothing about).
They're really milking their cashcows it seems. Not that I can fault them, now that they have Aquastyle backing them up.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

I actually did an LP of GoS, although I don't think it would meet this site's standards. Let's just say I completely forgot that I could take screenshots until halfway through, and also I didn't bother trying to read it so I had no idea what was going on (which is probably something I shouldn't admit now that I'm pretending to be a translator). I guess it's more of a diary.

I remember that. It was a liveblog of sorts, and it was the first time I'd ever heard of the game back then. Honestly, considering the emphasis on combat over plot, I don't think your way of doing things would be that far off from what a bigger LP would look like.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The new game's up for preorder now with some new screenshots.

I love this but I wonder if you can have some variation with multiple playthroughs with different items or it'll just have very specific strategies.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You guys the new game has achievements.

I'm gonna lose my mind I'm a huge achievement whore.

I don't know how big trophies and achievments are in Japan but ZUN just made a blog post about how he made the game as a sort of statement against the current industry? I can't understand it at all but I'm expecting these achievement titles to belittle and make fun of the player now.

Also watching a stream and Mokou just went nuclear and I can't stop laughing for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Also, what do the yin-yang orb and ghost lamp do as sub items? Never figured that one out.

But man, I was kinda prepared for an STB/DS level of difficulty, it's kinda disappointing actually how much easier this game is compared to those two.

The yin-yang orb makes your hitbox smaller, the lamp supposedly makes it so that if you press X/item button as you're dying, you cancel out that death but I've never had that work.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 11, 2014