Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
I figured Marisa hangs out at Reimu's shrine so much she might as well make it her business to get involved, that seems like something she'd do. You know, if you need an actual reason besides being a main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Personally I'm hoping for Kasen Ibara to be included as well. The fact that she's not included in Reimu's stage when that's basically her favourite hang-out in the manga is pretty re-assuring on that front.

Yeah same here, she'd be pretty cool based on what she can do in that manga. The hermit thing is totally a good enough excuse to include her, right? :v:

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
It's been a good couple of weeks since I last played a Touhou game, so I did this in Easy to get back into it.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=27820

I could probably beat this game on Normal if I work on fixing those stupid mistakes I make.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
So at some point Kyouko and Mystia rocked out twice as hard due to their personalities changing for a little while. It's not really important, not as big as the plot twist we all see coming, but it's awesome to think about. :allears:

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Ranpire posted:

Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Character is officially announced.

The theme is "neo-retro," eliminating complex systems to get back to a more basic danmaku experience. No crazy meters, hypers or UFO systems, just graze (although lives and bombs are still being awarded in increments like 10 Desires, probably simply from enemies dropping fragments?)

Three playable characters, Reimu, Marisa and Sakuya. Story is something to do with their (danmaku?) weapons beginning to move on their own, and the youkai are getting restless, the usual incident resolution business.

The game engine's been improved under the hood, and is now able to output up to a true 1280 * 960 resolution (previous games were 640 * 480 upscaled).

A trial version will be at Reitaisai on May 26, alongside the full release of Hopeless Masquerade. Full version of DDC is expected at summer Comic Market as usual.

No gimmicks doesn't sound too bad at all, they can be fun but there's nothing bad going back to the basics. Sakuya being playable again isn't bad either, I would have preferred seeing one of the newer characters but since they'll most likely be in HM it's not that much of a problem. It doesn't really matter as long as the games are fun.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, Sakuya isn't a human? What is she then?

A Time Lord? :v:

Sakuya is maid Dio Brando, but with a much better personality. This is the only good theory because of dumb reasons. :colbert:

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

What I'm really surprised about is that Kanako is just gonna sit back and watch and she's all about gathering faith.

Yeah same here, this was the perfect game to have her playable in. Nitori might be amazing to play as, but it seems like an odd choice to make.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Those eye lasers the second boss throws at you are odd, they look like you can graze them in that gap in the middle but it's not the case at all. This game looks like it'll be really fun though, the bosses have tricky patterns but I thought they were fun, and the collection mechanic is really nice, even if it needs a bit of tweaking with bombs.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Anything by Gensoukoumuten AKA Fantasy Engineering Works. It's a unique take on Gensokyo, but it's really well written. He's also concerned about your health. [Danbooru Links]

Everything that was mentioned here is great but I want to second this especially. Everything he makes is the best, they all just work so well.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
I like to think people would like the moon sisters more if SSiB had been written like the other stories are now. I'm another weird person who actually likes those two, and I'd agree that the fighting was the worst part of that thing.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
It does suck that the stories don't get a lot of love because they are genuinely interesting, even if ZUN doesn't take his silly series seriously he at least tries to make decent stories. But it's not like he can just force every fan to read them, so I'm glad there are enough people who care enough to buy and/or translate these things. There really isn't much you can do besides complaining about it and then ignoring it.

This also makes me wonder how many people are fans but have never even touched a single game. It's not a big deal or anything, but I'm sure it's not a small number.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Which character and shot type has the easiest time dealing with Patchouli in EoSD? I've been trying to clear that one for ages but I always end up loving up on her fight and losing way more lives than I should, so I figure I should focus on practicing with the easier one for a while.

I also managed to 1cc Ten Desires yesterday, Miko's cards all seemed pretty straightforward compared to other the other bosses.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Also, it's a bit of a shame Forbidden Scrollery and Wild and Horned Hermit introduce youkais every other chapter just to forget about them and move on to the next one. Marisa and the snake shoulda totes become partners in crime.

Yeah, I think so too. I thought there would be more on abusing the talking to animals thing, that seemed like a good enough reason to keep the snake around a little longer.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

gently caress the voices, Master Spark-charged Yin Yang orbs just makes me wish Reimu and Marisa would actually team up more often.

Another game like IN that lets you make your own teams would be nice, then Master Spark Yin Yang orbs could be a thing all day, every day. A game like that could probably work.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Sagan posted:

And these are what pass as friends in Gensokyo, right? I'm assuming the only reason the yokai haven't eaten everyone already is because they are equally dysfunctional.

They are, more or less, each others best friend and they end up doing poo poo like that. They're the best jerks in a series full of amazing jerks.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

So what's the status on the English patch for the latest fighting game? I've been kind of out of the loop and might have missed some of the chat in the previous pages.

Last I checked there was a group on some forum are trying make it. It's taking a while, but someone is working on it.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
Yeah, you have to use the auto-patcher for DDC. It works fine now that they've dealt with all the bad bugs.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Zun is the best writer because he gives everybody proper piece of poo poo levels.

Seriously, this. I like that Zun just writes them as the biggest jerks instead of being terrible, generic animes. I know they aren't masterpieces, but they're silly and fun to read and that's good enough for me.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

A Meat posted:

Would the plots also change? Would SA now be about mean ol' Utsuho Uma (what good female names starting with a 'u' sound american enough? Ursula is sort of taken) stealing the power of Sunlight because there isn't any sunlight underground and it makes her very sad? And our dear heroines Rachel and Marissa have to go and teach her than it's not fair to take sunlight away from the surface, and that if she wants to she can come hang out with them above ground in Rachel's new pool.

EoSD is about a little vampire girl who only wanted to go out and play, it turns out she's a vegetarian vampire and only drinks tomato juice so it's okay for her to run around outside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

So which is worse, Bronies or Touhou fans?

Because it's a tough choice I say give both of them the wedgies they deserve.