Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Clarste posted:

Flandre is... a pretty big liberty taken by the translators. Unlike the rest of the Windows games, EoSD didn't have romanized names for the characters, and of the cast of EoSD only Rumia and Flandre have never appeared again. It's written in katakana as fu-ran-dō-ru, which would be pronounced something like "Frandoll". Her name does appear in PMiSS though, as sort of a signature on her portrait. It's handwritten, but to me it looks like Frandlo. Maybe Frandle. Although neither of those spellings would explain the long o sound.

In short, while it's currently impossible to change the fandom's perception of her name, ultimately it comes from translators making stuff up.

Copycat Zero posted:

Related: The fact that everyone refers to Alice's PCB stage theme as "The Dollmaker of Bucuresti", because whoever first translated it couldn't be assed to put ブクレシュティ into English like the rest of the title instead of just transliterating the katakana and thus putting it into Romanian.

Forgive us. Back then (before IN and IOSYS) we only had maybe 20-30 people playing the games on our shmup forums. We really enjoyed the aesthetics and not-arcade-hard difficulty of EoSD and PCB, and only wanted to know why these girls were fighting. So we tried our hand at translating, even though none of us really knew Japanese. I ended up helping out with the enemy Spell Card translations (and taking screenshots of each one because I wanted to show how beautiful they were), and editing the machine translations into something "okay enough" for our small forum.

So yeah, I vaguely remember the "Frandoll" vs "Flandre" discussion we had. Our decision was fairly arbitrary, but along the lines of "which name gets more hits in a search engine"?

There were other issues, like what to call the boss species? Should we use the literal term "youkai" and just leave it as is for that Eastern feel, or use some localized term like "monster", "phantom", "mythical being"/"myth"? Should we call Yuyuko's location "White Jade Tower" just like how we localized the "Scarlet Devil Mansion", or leave it as "Hakugyokurou"? Why the hell is Cirno talking about English beef? Man, we really had no idea what we were doing, or how big this series would eventually get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

BlitzBlast posted:

This explains so, so much.

Have you ever considered going back and making a retranslation with the help of the now massive Touhou community? Or do you feel that it's all just set in stone at this point and there's no point trying to fix things up?

Well, I've long since given up any leadership roles I used to have back then -- I was just a guy who liked beautiful shooting games, after all. Thus I can't really speak for the current translation team's ideals. I would imagine that with any translation group though, their time and resources would be in constant demand for things that haven't been translated at all.

Honestly, I did want to improve our initial translations, which is partially why we set up the Touhou Wiki in the first place (back when Wikia was still decent). I made pages for the scripts, song titles, and cards, always with the Japanese and English text right next to each other, in the hopes that it would entice someone to actually notice errors in the text. However, I think not many improvements actually occurred before someone made that first PCB english patch.

I feel it was pretty lucky that I wasn't too lost in the anime scene at the time, otherwise there might have been a lot more "oujo-sama"s and "-san"s in that first revision.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Ranpire posted:

There've been three generations of patchmaking.

EoSD and PCB -
These were before my time, and the entire crew that made them seemed to disappear shortly afterward. Leviathean no doubt knows more, and I'd love to hear about them.

It's been almost 8 years, so I had to contact the Wayback Machine to remember what happened during that time. According to this thread, one of our forum members named s'' showed up one day and announced that he had successfully unpacked the .dat file for the PCB demo, and was able to make and save changes to the story script. At that point, the interested people in the forum went into overdrive, trying to support s'' in any way they could, such as cleaning up the translations in the wiki, making localized art assets when required, or acting as beta testers for patch revisions. It was a haphazard community effort to be fair, but people were excited for it, and a few months later we managed to get the patch for the full game developed. Looking over the thread itself can give you some insight on the troubles they faced, as beginner patchers.

Later on, we also made an equivalent patch for EoSD with the same team. I believe it was a bit harder due to the text window's constraints being even tighter than PCB (32 characters by 2 lines), but most of the tools could be reused. J5983 mainly lead that effort, I think, with the rest of us acting as support. I think other members like RacidalR and JSeabolt were involved too?

On a side note, it's amusing what we treated as news back in those old days. "Oh man, people cosplaying as Touhou characters in Thailand! Someone made a doujin game of a doujin series! Maybe one day more people in NA will know about Touhou, but it's probably wishful thinking" :3:

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
With all this talk about Necro-Fantasy vs. Necrofantasia, why don't we just combine the two themes and rejoice in its glory? Maybe it can win next year's poll! :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J9daarKf64

...Oh, that's why. No matter how many times I listen to this, I'm amazed at how it turns out.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
nekoxid, I don't have Platinum or anything, so come by to the #TouhouLP channel or Hamachi so we can meet and play.

(I'm in the PST time zone, hopefully there aren't problems due to this)

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
I'll be heading to comiket in a few days, was wondering if you guys had any recommended circles I should check out? Mostly interested in music and fangames.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Freak Futanari posted:

I loving loved Senko no Ronde, so now i almost want to get a PS4 just for this.

Man, watching some random match videos of the old PC version makes it look super slow to actually kill someone compared to Senko no Ronde. Has anyone found any decent match videos of the PS4 version to compare?

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
Also 4) it starts off using the best music from Ace Combat Zero

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

a cartoon duck posted:

Wait, when did that happen?

Perfect Memento

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Clarste posted:

I lost track of what we're translating things as these days. This version always stood out to me because it's really terrible.

Do you mind sharing how you would localize that name as today, or what makes the current version terrible? I'm always curious about these sorts of things, ever since my initial attempts at translating Touhou from scratch with no prior knowledge of Japanese.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Clarste posted:

I can only imagine that someone with no knowledge of Japanese looked it up in a dictionary, found the jargon definition, and then struggled for a while to come up with something that might convey what they got from that.

Welcome to the world of 2003 where there were only 100 or so members in our English Touhou forum and no one knew anything.
I had given my attempt at most spell cards, with pics. I'm sorry that my "Barrage Bounded Field" was still used up to a certain point.

I apologize in advance for any terrible terms still lingering from that old era. :shobon:

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
For the term "Gensokyo", we took that based directly on the PCB Phantasm opener image, so we didn't feel the need to further localize it at the time. "Cirno" was also due to PCB solidifying the name in her boss battle.

Hakugyokurou, we couldn't reach a good consensus, unlike the straightforward SDM, so we left it at the time.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
For other fangames, I'm having my share of roguelike-fun with Genso Wanderer on the PS4. It's a pretty clear derivative of the Shiren Mystery Dungeon series, but with Touhou characters and their accessories (up to DDC). The main story dungeon is fairly straightforward, but there's a lot of side-dungeon content too that I haven't touched yet, that also have the classic "everything starts off unidentified" template. I'd give it an easy recommendation for those interested in the genre.

Also, gently caress Ran enemy types, randomly knocking away and destroying my equipment

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Clarste posted:

I played Genso Wanderer for free and it is not worth 60 bucks. It's a 30 dollar game at best, imo.

It's 40$ US now on Amazon, which i feel is a decent price for something niche like this.

The physical copy came with a second game attached, Double Focus, which I haven't touched yet. Hopefully it's also good? :ohdear:

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
Man, Double Focus has some cute enemies, probably the most adorable ones I've seen in a platformer. They try so hard! :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r6YkBqHyos

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
I enjoyed playing the “Shiren the Wanderer” Mystery Dungeon games on the DS, so Genso Wanderer felt right at home, being a clone of that.

That being said, if you have a Switch, they recently released a port on it that seems to include some improvements and DLC, if you’re interested.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I've really liked the pokemon mystery dungeon games (or at least the first two) so I'd pick it up just as quick assuming everything's about the same.

I haven't played the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, but are you okay with "Reset to Level One" End Dungeons? Almost all of the dungeons in Shiren (and thus, in Genso Wanderer) work this way. If that doesn't deter you, you should be good to go and have fun.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Neato~

Since you already have the cast around, maybe you could dub BomberGrape's comic version of the Symposium as a silly extra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

CrazySalamander posted:

I am now playing Azure Reflections. If I understand correctly, I have to 1cc on normal without using any spell cards and complete break every boss to get the best ending, right?

I only played Azure for a small while, but I'm only aware about having to Complete Break each boss in order to access the final stage (against Remilia?). I forget if also getting a Complete Break on that boss matters in terms of an ending difference.
There shouldn't be a spell card restriction on you for getting complete breaks, just don't bomb during the opponent's spell cards since that's an automatic capture failure. Feel free to bomb their non-spell card attacks, or any part of the stage.