Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I've discovered that I really like making long Touhou music compilations for Youtube. I recently finished my second one, which is all soothing vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzkZ95UNb0

And here's the first video I made, which is forty minutes of soothing Touhou instrumental music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-CN5r48Z0A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I've started to go back and replay the older Windows games to see if I could accomplish stuff I couldn't do before. Last night I managed to 1cc EoSD for the first time, using MarisaA. I was pretty happy, but as always when I 1cc a Touhou game I just make it by the skin of my teeth.

I've only played the Extra a few times, but it seems easier than the others? One of the other Extras I actually unlocked was for Fairy Wars, and I can barely make it past the midbosses. But I got to Flandre on my second try.

I can't believe Touhou 14 comes out in about a week... I still haven't played much of Hopeless Masquerade because I wanted to wait for an English patch.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

A while ago the guys who usually do translation patches came in here and said they don't feel like translating and patching Hopeless Masquerade because they not only really dislike the game, TasoFro's code is also so labyrinthine and shoddy they don't wanna expend the effort for a game they don't actually like. So short of someone else rising up to the challenge you can wait a long time for a translation to come out. Just look at the translations on the touhou wiki and that touhou endings wiki if you need to know what the characters are saying.

Woah, I forgot there was a Touhou endings wiki. The lack of ending translation on the main wiki was what was stopping me (some of the menus are a little hard to navigate too). Bookmarked it, maybe I can start playing again soon. It'd be nice to read the endings on the PC-98 games too, if I go back and play them.

I've been following the HM patch progress thread on shrinemaiden, and it seems like some of the major hurdles, like turning the vertical text boxes into horizontal boxes, have been solved. But there are still portions of text untranslated, so it'll probably still be a while. The thread is here for those who haven't seen it: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,14754.210.html

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

el burbo posted:

Decided to try out these games, and they're pretty fun! I'm pretty terrible at it, but I can feel myself getting better every playthrough. The music in particular is amazing.

Glad you're enjoying them. I got into Touhou about 5 years ago, starting out with EoSD. Back then I was just trying to kill time in my freshman year of college but I think every year that goes by, I love the series more. And while I like the gameplay and characters a lot, I think if the music wasn't so great, I would have only played one or two games and dropped it. The music (both the original tracks and some of the amazing fan arrangements you can find) is definitely one of the selling points with Touhou.

Speaking of EoSD, I'm trying to 1cc it with Reimu. I'm getting closer, but Reimu just feels sluggish to me in this game. I'm a little surprised that most players use ReimuB in EoSD (or at least, that's the impression I've gotten).

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Huh, that's interesting... I just switched from ReimuB to ReimuA and personally found Patchouli's spellcards much easier with ReimuA. But mainly I wanted to get the extra life from midboss Sakuya. I was having a hard time hitting her without homing bullets.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I already posted them several pages back, but I have two Touhou music compilations on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dranxis/videos They're both made up of soothing arrangements, one video is instrumentals and the other is vocals. Maybe they can help when you're playing Dark Souls?

I'm planning on putting together a compilation video of gloomy and eerie arrangements for Halloween, but I'm still trying to find more songs I can use. I'd appreciate any suggestions people can think of. :) These are the songs I'm pretty sure I want to use (track name / circle name / album name):

1. とこしえの黄泉 / Yoshida-Mirai Project / 東方ギムナジウム
2. Sweets Time Midnight / NJK Record / Crimson Glory
3. 霊知の太陽信仰 / TAMUSIC / ピアノのための東方夜想曲集「Kwaidan」
4. Disconnected. / C.H.S. / Unconnected.
5. おやすみな最速降下曲線 / schwarzwald / ぶつりをするたび ちしきがふえるね EP
6. 常識破壊果物 / O-Life Japan / 鋭鋒乃風導
7. 夜間飛行 / Melodic of Harp / 花が彩映るその庭で…
8. Folklore of the Living Dead / schwarzwald / per speculum in aenigmate

These are some other songs I'm considering, but I'm iffy on them for one reason or another.

9. 芥川龍之介の河童 / MA.S ATTACK / Drawn Drones Drown Drone
10. Prologue / Secret Messenger / 幻想の境界 -the Garden of phantasmagoria-
11. ポイズンボディ ~ Forsaken Doll / MA.S ATTACK / NO LIFE, NO BOMB, GRAZE!!
12. 幾星霜の夜空 / Amateras Records / Helius Aggregation
13. 月をも焦がせ不死の炎、燃ゆるは憤怒の狼煙 / Shiroi Shimashima Usagi / 東方和楽・通

One thing I should mention, I don't want to use more than one arrangement of the same song. So I'm not planning on using another U.N. Owen was Her? or Hartmann's Youkai Girl arrangement because I've already got them. You can still recommend arrangements of those in case I like 'em better than the ones I'm using. Thanks!

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I'm really bad at starting fan art and never finishing it, but I did finish coloring this Futo recently:

I also made a personal Tumblr to put her on since I'm not going back to Deviantart. I'm a little scared of Tumblr though.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Hey, that's pretty nice, dude!! Where's your Tumblr?

Thank you. It's over here: http://dranxis.tumblr.com/ Just to warn you, I'll mostly be reblogging and sharing stuff I like. I draw a webcomic so I don't feel like drawing other stuff that often. But I'm going to try to draw for fun more often now that I have a Tumblr.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I'd love to have a complete collection of the Touhou games, and I think it'd be pretty cool if ZUN ported the original PC-98 games all onto a one-disc Windows pack. But I guess there's little chance of that happening because 1. He created those games as part of a team so there might be copyright issues and 2. I get the impression that ZUN is a little embarrassed of them.

The only time I've ever seen copies of the PC-98 games for sale was on Mandarake, where the first three games were listed. For the great price of 100,000 yen each. :stare: I just went to check on the listings and all three are sold now, good god.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

SirSlarty posted:

I know the PC-98 used floppies but seeing Touhou on a floppy disk makes me laugh.
Seeing a floppy disk sell for over a thousand bucks makes me laugh harder.

I'm a collector, but... I can't wrap my brain around the idea of spending so much money on games you can't even play unless you own a working PC-98. I suppose some collectors buy things like this for the investment value, but still.

By the way, I finished my compilation of eerie and ominous Touhou arrangements for Halloween. I had a lot of fun picking out fitting fanart for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFiRMNWEak

I also drew this scary werewolf.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I've read all the official manga and literature that's been translated. For doujins I've only read a smattering though.

Curiosities of Lotus Asia was kind of difficult to get through, but I loved Cage in Lunatic Runagate. Very introspective, it really helped develop the Imperishable Night cast. For me the most enjoyable mangas are Forbidden Scrollery, the Three Fairies cycle and Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth. (I know that last one wasn't written by ZUN though)

On one hand I would like to see more fantasy adventure stuff, but I don't think ZUN is interested in writing manga like that, when he can make games instead.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I'll use it. I had been messaging someone on Tumblr and asked if their blog was spoiler free for a certain series. They told me "Oh yes, I just checked and there are no spoilers." I look at their blog and within one minute I see fanart that strongly suggests two of my favorite characters are going to die. I know it's just fanart, but there were haloes involved.

:livintrope: NEVER TRUST TUMBLR :livintrope:

That felt good. Back on topic, I'm working on a 1cc of PCB for the first time. I wanted to use SakuyaA, but... is it just me, or is Merlin a lot harder than the other two Prismriver sisters? I've switched to ReimuA because I still find the homing bullets help me on stage 4, but she's a lot weaker...

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I know Needle Reimu is the more popular choice, but I don't seem to do well with her in either EoSD or PCB. I'll have to give her another try. I had been relying on homing bullets for the parts of the stage where fairies drop onto opposite sides of the screen to attack. I hadn't thought to just stream all those bullets aimed at me. I'm playing Touhou again for the first time in a while, so sometimes I forget to try basic things. :downs:

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

MoF is the only main Touhou game I've never finished on any difficulty. The bombs and power thing is pretty lame and the continue system is discouraging. I do like the graphics, characters and music though. SA is also my favorite game, despite the fact that it uses the same continue system.

Really though, I'm easy to please when it comes to Touhou games. My only complaint about the recent games is that the plot of TD was the same as UFO's plot. I actually find TD pretty fun although I can understand people's criticisms of it.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Y'all doubted me, but I just got a 1cc for PCB Normal with ReimuA. Two extra lives to spare too! I actually tried ReimuB but I started screwing up horribly. I think the reason I like homing bullets is that they allow me to just calmly dodge bullets wherever I am, whereas if I have a narrow shooting range, I worry about getting under the boss all the time. Although when I 1cc'd EoSD a few months ago, I did best with MarisaA? I don't know, I guess I play every game a little differently.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I don't really get the appeal of Moe! Momiji either, but I must admit that the Touhou M-1 Grand Prix segment where Momiji tries to do a grandma impression is one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

By the way, someone I follow on Tumblr has been putting together Touhou-themed tea blends you can buy on Adagio. I've tried the Kaguya and Flandre teas and they're good! If you get the Flandre tea make sure to shake up the bag a lot, when it was shipped to me all the raspberries and blood orange pieces were on top and the rooibos filtered to the bottom. I'm waiting warmly for sampler sets.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

This game series is terrible.

Are you the one responsible for this video?

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

SirSlarty posted:

Speaking of the endings, is there a way to see the ones I cleared in-game or do I have to actually beat the games again?

Psst... if you want to read an ending again, there's always the Touhou Endings Wiki.

The only main Touhou game I've never beaten on any difficulty is Mountain of Faith. For two reasons: Kanako's final spellcard is a nightmare for me even on Easy mode, and that annoying continue system discourages me from playing the game for very long.

I can 1cc a handful of games on Normal and Easy but I'll never ever beat an Extra stage.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

If you want good English vocals, they don't get any better than Renko from ORANGE★JAM. I've been listening to her albums lately, these are some of my favorites:

truth
towering emotions
dreaming tonight
re-imagine

The albums are also available digitally on Melonbooks, which is always nice.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

That's by Imodesto on Tumblr: source

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

A Sacred Lot is the worst Touhou song I can think of off the top of my head. I also really like A Mystery in Your Town, much more than Infinite Nightmare in fact, but I've never found an arrangement of it that I liked. :(

Clarste posted:

In unrelated news, leather fedora has helped me finish Forbidden Scrollery chapters 14 and 15, which are now on the wiki. In which, uh, there's some kind of mystery but it's immediately dealt with in a two-parter. You know the drill. Features menacing kappa shadows.

Thank you for translating these, looking forward to reading them~

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

As a Touhou figure collector, I'm a little sad that the companies that used to make Touhou figures have moved on to Kantai Collection now. :( Maybe that's the best thing for my wallet, but still.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Don't figures cost an insane amount? Like $60+ for every one?

Touhou figures are usually more than that, because ZUN stipulated that all Touhou figures had to be limited and exclusive.

I prefer not to think about how much I've spent. Being on myfigurecollection.net makes me feel a little better about myself though, many of the collections there are much more extravagant than mine (I have a Touhou-only rule, so that's stopped me from letting the hobby get out of hand.) I think my favorite insane collector there is StarshipPooper.

Could be worse. I could be a Dollfie Dream collector.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Where would you keep 2301 figures?

I think his entire house is devoted to figure display. I don't know if he ever did, but at one point he said he was thinking about buying a new house because his current one was too small for his collection.

Whatever makes you happy!

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

I've noticed a few artists on Tumblr really like Raiko, but I never see anyone talking about Benben and Yatsuhashi. I think those two are even less popular than the Prismrivers because they're even more thinly developed. ZUN literally describes them like this: "Benben plays the part of the cool, grown-up older sister, and Yatsuhashi plays the part of the hot-blooded, reckless younger sister" in the DDC omake txt. So they're tropes-- like a lot of other Touhou characters when they're first introduced. At least the Aki sisters had kind of an interesting relationship, each feeling superior to the other while Shizuha is secretly envious of her younger sister's popularity with humans.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

There are some doujin music circles that make their stuff available for digital purchase on Melonbooks DL. I guess that goes against ZUN's guidelines, but I'm glad they do it. A digital purchase is so much cheaper than paying a proxy service to import the physical CD for you. I really hope ZUN takes a look at these guidelines again because I would love it if more Touhou music were available digitally, but obviously most circles aren't going to touch it as things stand.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

oiko and ziki_7, who are both doing arrangements for Urban Legend in Limbo, put up a free download with 1gb worth of their albums to celebrate their 10th anniversary. A few of the files didn't extract correctly for me, but otherwise it's a lot!

You can get the download off their website.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Hi all, I am just now starting to play ULiL. Has anyone translated the endings yet? I was hoping to read along with the translations as I beat each story mode, but the Touhou endings wiki seems to have disappeared? Or maybe the link I found was an old and broken one, I'm not sure.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

I translated the endings. Here. I put them next to the pictures because sometimes it makes no sense if you can't see the scene change.

I think the old endings wiki is actually dead, sadly.

Thanks Clarste! And yeah having the pictures too is helpful, now I can go back and understand Marisa's ending.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Has anyone else lost their save data in Pointdevice? I was in the middle of Junko on Normal, when I tried to load the game today it started me back on stage 1. Although there's still the record of my # of attempts on each spellcard in the player data. I hadn't upgraded to the 1.00b patch yet when it happened, I did that just now but it didn't make a difference. Someone in the Touhou tag on Tumblr posted that they lost their save data for the Junko fight too.

Perhaps the game was putting me out of my misery. I was stuck on "Trembling, Shivering Star," 75 attempts in, 2 bombs left. I was pretty sure I wasn't gonna make it to the end, but I hadn't -quite- given up yet. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Oh my god, really? I think that's what happened actually, I accidentally left the game window open while I was doing something else yesterday. Lmao. Is that what the 1.00b patch was supposed to fix?