Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

This is one of those things where it's really unfortunate/has really unfortunate bits in it but it's dumb nerd fun (and doesn't have icky sex in it) it'll get defended to the death, yeah?

Awkward enjoyment is the best enjoyment :allears:

This series does for me what Attack on Titan apparently does for everyone else. The plot is just as horrendous as Attack on Titan's, but the key difference is that unlike AoT, the art is actually done by someone who can DRAW so all that sweet, sweet violence is actually fun.

The racism and sexism mean it's something I would never, ever pay for but so what else is new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that with the exception of Michelle, no woman has done anything worthwhile. Even in the badass Russian team, the woman was one of the only two casualties. There's also the fact that (untranslated content spoiler) Isabella, the tough woman on Team Germany, also goes down in pretty much the exact same way that the Russian woman does, and also the bit where (also untranslated content spoiler) it's revealed that his child doesn't have a mosaic organ, since it's another man's baby.

I don't know if I quire agree that it's sexist per se, since men go out as easily as women do in this series, but I do see how you could get that impression very easily.

There's this, the fact that the bios tend to go "tragedy tragedy tragedy THIS IS HER TIT SIZE," and the fact women in this series tend to act more... infantile I suppose would be the word, than the men do. Michelle is pretty much the exception, any other woman either attempts to do something and is smashed immediately, or does absolutely gently caress all. I'll admit it's considerably more arguable than the racism aspect (though really that isn't saying much), but it's definitely coming across that way to me.

In the end, it's just the dumbest of dumb action manga and not really worth getting worked up over, so whatever.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I read the first 3 volumes or something of this in a binge and then when there was no more to read it was like a spell was broken and I didn't feel any need to read anymore when more came out.

I'm still reading Gate, Thus the JSDF Fought there though :smithicide:

• Locked thread