Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SpazmasterX posted:

Whaaaat? A wuxia manhua that's about an OP Mary Sue? This sort of bizarre phenomenon should be studied by the world's greatest minds. :aaaaa:

I know right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I think you'l just have to bite the bullet and read Act-Age on other websites to fill in the gap if you want to catch up on it. It's real good though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I unironically love to browse manga aggregators for the terms "god-king" "immortal" and "peerless" to see what kind of bottom-tier garbage can still somehow find a translator.

I don't care if it's an old stale joke calling all xianxia protagonists volcels will always be funny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

https://mangadex.org/chapter/851259/4 lmao the panels

I tried clicking on a random chapter and was very surprised to find that it was about the MC effortlessly owning some guy and a woman he was with having her towel drop

edit: Apparently it's the same woman from that earlier screenshot, but with different hair

https://mangadex.org/chapter/863822/17 hahahaha

apparently this guy is in his university fightman club, and is also an assassin? I don't understand this setting. It's like the regular world except there are randomly also cultivators and they go to college

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 23, 2020

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If someone can come up with a catchy title for Act-Age I'll make the thread

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Act-Your-Age: Read Act Age!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pierson posted:

I unironically love to browse manga aggregators for the terms "god-king" "immortal" and "peerless" to see what kind of bottom-tier garbage can still somehow find a translator.

I don't care if it's an old stale joke calling all xianxia protagonists volcels will always be funny.

Hey, Meng Hao was able to get a woman after a few centuries. For like a month.

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
Act-Age: The Method Acting to My Madness Acting

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress that's a better name.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Feel like people who make poo poo like this forget that wuxia protagonists are supposed to be, like, likable in some way

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Feel like people who make poo poo like this forget that wuxia protagonists are supposed to be, like, likable in some way

There's a strong negative energy to these things, where it feels like the main purpose is just to gently caress over people who wronged you. It's especially funny when it's some guy who is supposedly 30,000 years old or whatever, and the story focuses on him owning the people who were mean to him in college.

They're all a sort of weird negative wish fulfillment where people can fantasize about beating up the school enemies. Like the fantasy is "IF I WERE ACTUALLY A POWERFUL CULTIVATOR I'D TOTALLY BEAT UP THIS MEAN GUY IN MY CLASS AND MAKE THIS GIRL FEEL SORRY FOR REJECTING ME"

Regular wish fulfillment web novels also suck, but at least their fantasy is usually positive in nature and centers around "being powerful and having everyone love me."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he doesn't have a personality, or even goals. if he fights, it is because someone shows up and says "hey let's fight". if he cultivates, it is because someone starts talking about how he can't possibly cultivate right now. even in scenes where he is not present, he is the only subject of conversation.

also, i'm pretty sure he only keeps the dog around because it hasn't challenged him to a fight yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's also funny how the protagonist of that one is wearing clothes that only a teenager would think looks cool, but actually look extremely dumb and embarrassing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I love how most Chinese webnovels have antagonists that keep on escalating over the dumbest stuff. The protagonist buying the last hot dog at a gas station, eventually leads to them having to defeat a powerful organization with 5,000 people in it because some minor member of that organization also wanted that hot dog.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love how most Chinese webnovels have antagonists that keep on escalating over the dumbest stuff. The protagonist buying the last hot dog at a gas station, eventually leads to them having to defeat a powerful organization with 5,000 people in it because some minor member of that organization also wanted that hot dog.

This is basically the backstory to One-Punch Man.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

They're probably just using a wuxia staple where a small conflict spirals out of control because an increasing number of powerful people are obligated to take revenge.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are there any good wuxia manhua? Like, at all?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New SHY has us setting up the next remnant to be pacified. Given the current setup, I'm expecting something vaguely kingdom hearts to pan out Like 'Hollow' turns out to be the spirit of Ai's sword or something

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a man hurtling towards middle age I feel like I shouldn't be so invested in a plotline about fictional teenage girls having a sleepover. On the other hand Shy is just adorable.
I feel you on that one. I'm still waiting for the writer to just be open that they wanted to make a magical girl series but got stuck in a shonen magazine.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm not quite sure if it qualifies as Wuxia, but Feng Shen Ji is fantastic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Most manhua is dire because it has a pace a snail would find bad

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The Pinnacle.

Though it's comedy wuxia.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The Pinnacle

of comedy :cawg:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
finally, a Shonen Jump series about teens battling demons

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Moriking

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We Never Learn: it's hilarious how Rizu is basically a supporting character in Sekijou's story, while this arc was supposed to be about her.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The first chapter of Bone Collection is out
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006691

My thoughts: Fairly standard shonen stuff. A bit too much of the 'our main character is a pervert' gags, but the premise is solid enough, if nothing special. The character designs are alright. The scene with the dad worrying was good. Not really enough action to determine how future fight scenes would be portrayed. And while the chapter sets up the setting and the mc's power, there isn't much direction as far as where the story plans to go from here

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unfortunately, they turned the raddest yokai of them all from a giant skeleton into a cute girl. everyone loves the giant skeleton! that poo poo's unforgivable. i also suspect that the dude's dangerous, self-destructive behavior that his family and friends are so wary of will be proven to be completely correct at all times.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought the art looked amateurish.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of my least favorite tropes is "protagonist lives in a world (or transmigrated to one) where everyone has an unreasonable prejudice that he doesn't have, and he gains the strong favor of someone (usually a pretty lady) through not having that prejudice."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

eh, it's like b-tier kekkaishi so i'm here for it as long as they cut the nosebleed gags and such down

not really bothered by the giant skeleton being a pretty girl who wants to eat pancakes, it's fun

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also, his lack of prejudice only seems to apply to cute small yokai and cute girls. the big scary...ish monsters don't count and he's perfectly willing to kill them so that he can become popular.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Poor kappa though. They really tried to make that thing look as cute as possible before it got stabbed.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, his lack of prejudice only seems to apply to cute small yokai and cute girls. the big scary...ish monsters don't count and he's perfectly willing to kill them so that he can become popular.

Ehh, he was also willing to pet the fuzzy thing in the drain. The only one we've seen him kill was talking about how much it was going to enjoy eating people, and he got his butt kicked by a slime that we can assume was similarly bad for people.

As for the nosebleeds... at least he wasn't groping or anything. Reatively low on the 'pervert character' scale of terribleness.

Kinda hoping skeleton-girl is going to have the ability to turn into a skeleton monster when she needs to.

Mostly though, it's a fairly bland opening. And the title reminda me that Dai Dark hasn't updated in a while. The superior comic about a fighty teen who collects bones.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Julias posted:

I'm not quite sure if it qualifies as Wuxia, but Feng Shen Ji is fantastic.

Feng Shen Ji is, indeed, a fantastic comic.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Feng Shen Ji is, indeed, a fantastic comic.

I'm a few chapters into the author/artist's most recent manga and so far it also seems pretty dope. It is called Journey To The West, but it's a sequel to the original novel.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Aw yeah, bug fights! Bug fights!

I wonder if this is planned to be a short one, just taking place over the course of summer?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vaguely related to this thread (wasn't sure where else to ask) but has Mangadex been loading really slowly for anyone else? For a while now it's been painfully slow, so the point where it takes 20-30 seconds to load a single page a lot of the time. My internet itself is fine and has no problems with other websites.

Elfface posted:

Mostly though, it's a fairly bland opening. And the title reminda me that Dai Dark hasn't updated in a while. The superior comic about a fighty teen who collects bones.

The art was also worse and more generic than I've been accustomed to in Jump nowadays. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but most new manga in WSJ seem to have very distinctive and/or good art compared with your "average" manga (which isn't that surprising given the competition that likely goes into getting published in the WSJ).

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Ytlaya posted:

Vaguely related to this thread (wasn't sure where else to ask) but has Mangadex been loading really slowly for anyone else? For a while now it's been painfully slow, so the point where it takes 20-30 seconds to load a single page a lot of the time. My internet itself is fine and has no problems with other websites.

From the front page: "In order to address the explosion in volume of users on the site, we will be upgrading the database, which has loads of >100% during peak times. Therefore the site will be unavailable for up to 4 hours starting tomorrow (27/04/2020) at 1700 UTC. If everything goes according to plan, the downtime will be a lot shorter than 4 hours."

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mikl posted:

We Never Learn: it's hilarious how Rizu is basically a supporting character in Sekijou's story, while this arc was supposed to be about her.

So pretty much everyone agrees Rizu is a bottom-tier heroine, but her chapters being taken over by Sekijou is funnier than any joke Tsutsui put in this arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the art in that new series wasn't great and I don't particularly care for the mc's singular character trait, but it's ok I guess. expect it to get cancelled before too long tho