Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pierson posted:

Still not sure how to feel about Ghostwriter. He's plagarising! But he feels really bad about it! But he did it anyway! He's about to face the person he's plagarising from! Through a wacky misunderstanding she doesn't mind! Even though he never came out and admitted he stole it! They are rivals now, even though he has zero imagination or skill and she should very literally have his job!

Decide already!

Yeah I'm not sure either on it. The first chapter hit me hard personally, as I'm in a similar boat to how he was - been trying to get into a creative field for years with no luck, despite trying my hardest. I've had many moments where I just wanted lay on the floor and scream I QUIT just like he was about to. I think there's still a lot of potentially interesting storytelling there - either him learning what it really takes to be an artist and actually improving, or even learning to accept that he actually doesn't have what it takes and moving on with life, or even him learning how to be a successful artist through his own methods, ironically stumbling into a story only he can tell.

However, after the last chapter I'm not fully sure if it'll go that direction, or really what direction it'll go in. I'll probably keep reading, but may drop it depending on where it heads. I wasn't crazy on Agravity Boys at first, but it's definitely won me over so I'll give this it's fair chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The young high school author is going to be a love interest even though the protagonist is 24, mark my words.

I get the impression that the direction it's trying to go is "protagonist working with the girl at some point and learning he has a talent for all the aspects of manga-writing other than writing the actual plot." Like when he submitted the manga initially he heavily restructured it to make it work as a one-shot by removing characters and stuff, so it seems like they're trying to emphasize that he has some sort of talent.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hes definitely being set up to be a great editor.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I'm not sure either on it. The first chapter hit me hard personally, as I'm in a similar boat to how he was - been trying to get into a creative field for years with no luck, despite trying my hardest. I've had many moments where I just wanted lay on the floor and scream I QUIT just like he was about to. I think there's still a lot of potentially interesting storytelling there - either him learning what it really takes to be an artist and actually improving, or even learning to accept that he actually doesn't have what it takes and moving on with life, or even him learning how to be a successful artist through his own methods, ironically stumbling into a story only he can tell.

However, after the last chapter I'm not fully sure if it'll go that direction, or really what direction it'll go in. I'll probably keep reading, but may drop it depending on where it heads. I wasn't crazy on Agravity Boys at first, but it's definitely won me over so I'll give this it's fair chance.

I think you mean writer. It's implied that he is a competent artist.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There's something off-putting about Ghostwriter MC's belief that he doesn't have a message to tell to his readers, and that he just wants to draw what he wants while appealing to everyone. I can't help but be reminded of Comicsgate and how they want comics to be devoid of messages and politics and exist to entertain them with boobs and asses. To a lesser extent, a manga without any message in it and has been focus group'd to try and appeal to everyone is basically just Black Clover.

And while the high school girl has the same belief as the MC, it did take her ten years of constantly reworking the concept for her manga until it became a hit series, so I assume she learned how to grow past that belief and found a message she wanted to say in her work during those ten years.

CodfishCartographer posted:

The main character started out as very sympathetic but his actions so far have been really... questionable. He knows he plagiarized someone's work but he feels so bad about it you guysssss :( He tries confessing what he did to the high school girl, but she didn't believe him so that's that, I suppose. There's definitely no use showing her the time machine or the future Jump issues in question, or anything.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

There's something off-putting about Ghostwriter MC's belief that he doesn't have a message to tell to his readers, and that he just wants to draw what he wants while appealing to everyone. I can't help but be reminded of Comicsgate and how they want comics to be devoid of messages and politics and exist to entertain them with boobs and asses. To a lesser extent, a manga without any message in it and has been focus group'd to try and appeal to everyone is basically just Black Clover.

And while the high school girl has the same belief as the MC, it did take her ten years of constantly reworking the concept for her manga until it became a hit series, so I assume she learned how to grow past that belief and found a message she wanted to say in her work during those ten years.

The main character started out as very sympathetic but his actions so far have been really... questionable. He knows he plagiarized someone's work but he feels so bad about it you guysssss :( He tries confessing what he did to the high school girl, but she didn't believe him so that's that, I suppose. There's definitely no use showing her the time machine or the future Jump issues in question, or anything.

I haven't necessarily interpreted his "I have nothing to say" statements quite as negatively as you. It's never felt to me like he's arguing that manga shouldn't have a message, but rather he doesn't really "get" how to put a message in his manga that works, and so is kind of trying to just go without one. Like, he wants to make a manga that'll make people happy, but he doesn't have any messages or statements he wants to put in his manga, so he'll just make an entertaining manga without a message! Like, it wouldn't surprise me if he would read something like One Punch Man and all he'd get out of it is "lol funny joke comic with cool punch spreads" and not get any of the themes about what makes a true hero, corruption, etc. I think there's the potential for the story to go in a direction where he actually does find a message he wants to convey, and then struggles to figure out how to properly convey and articulate it, etc. I actually think that'd be a really cool idea for a story, and would be helpful to aspiring artists and storytellers, but I'm not fully sure that's where it's going.

He does seem fully willing to give up the story though, and has tried to tell others about it, but yeah it also comes off as him not trying all THAT hard, since he finally has found success at his dream job. I'm going to guess at some point the time machine microwave is going to short out, and he'll reach a point where he has to come up with the ideas, and that's where things will get shaky. But who knows, maybe by then he'll be good enough friends with the actual author to just literally be a ghost writer for her.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

You have a point in that he's not arguing that a comic shouldn't have a message. even if it still rubs me the wrong way. This being the shonen genre, I can't help but think that his declaration of making a great manga despite being unable to come up with a message will be treated like a grand dream he'll fulfill in the end, rather than a viewpoint that gets challenged and he grows out of. I guess the problem is that the directions you and the others came up with all need this to be a character development-based story, but a shonen manga, it seems to be going down the rivalry route instead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

amigolupus posted:

You have a point in that he's not arguing that a comic shouldn't have a message. even if it still rubs me the wrong way. This being the shonen genre, I can't help but think that his declaration of making a great manga despite being unable to come up with a message will be treated like a grand dream he'll fulfill in the end, rather than a viewpoint that gets challenged and he grows out of. I guess the problem is that the directions you and the others came up with all need this to be a character development-based story, but a shonen manga, it seems to be going down the rivalry route instead.

Yeah I am being fairly optimistic with my predictions, and they are more fitting for seinen manga rather than shonen. Guess we'll see what happens!

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Mangadex has this tagged as shounen so:

https://mangadex.org/title/46621/gokurakugai-sanbandori-no-ken

Dunno if anyone's already seen this, but its a pretty slick looking oneshot that's got this cool Chinatown underworld aesthetic goin' on. It's about fixers doing a charity job that features: A cool lady with tats! Crime syndicates! Crime syndicate members wearing matching embroidered jackets! A sprinkling of animal people and mermaids? Lead dude's pretty cute too.

It's looks really nice and hope it graduates out of oneshot purgatory.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

En Family Mook posted:

This is nice. I also hope this gets more than just a oneshot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

En Family Mook posted:

Dunno if anyone's already seen this, but its a pretty slick looking oneshot that's got this cool Chinatown underworld aesthetic goin' on. It's about fixers doing a charity job that features: A cool lady with tats! Crime syndicates! Crime syndicate members wearing matching embroidered jackets! A sprinkling of animal people and mermaids? Lead dude's pretty cute too.

:thatsrad:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

En Family Mook posted:

Looks cool, gonna give it a shot, thanks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Given that tons of stuff is ending in Jump, apparently we're having 4 new series start in this next issue or the one after. One is the return of the To Love Ru artist, another is the return of the Beelzebub artist, can't recall the other two.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hope the beelzebub guy doesn't get his work cancelled this time but also that he doesn't reuse the beelzebub cast again

tho I guess that's worked out fine for fairy tail guy

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Tsukimizuki Rikai no Tantei Satsujin has been rapidly released and is about to wrap up shortly so I'd figure I'd give it a shout out.

Tsuzuki Ui is unexpectantly reunited with an online acquaintance

Kimizutsuki Iriza. The thing is she is a private detective investigating a murder, and her prime suspect is his younger sister

Haruka and he has to prove her innocence as Kimizutsuki was hired for more than whodunit

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Moriking ACAB

Mashle getting ready for a fight

Ghostwriter tbh I'm starting to hate the MC, I like the person he's ripping off better.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Pray for Gege because she's dialing things back up to 11 in Jujutsu Kaisen.
Viz
Mangaplus
We've been in Dagon's fishy territory and things are about to explode.
I had to be reminded on what the implications of the last page, but this was the result of the old woman who channels the bodies of the dead and gave her grandson Toji's Body. Toji if you'll recall was one of the greatest assassins in japan but also a human who had 0 curse energy making him effectively undetectable to other shaman and a spiritual blank. It's clear his body's unique constitution has interacted oddly with the body possession ritual because instead of the grandson's soul commanding the body, the body has done the impossible and taken over the soul.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ghostwriter is such a weird series. I still can't tell whether I'm supposed to be rooting for the main character or not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This week on We Never Learn, Fumino asks a question which has troubled man since the dawn of time: "Why would a sandwich disturb my ankle?!"

And as for Bone Collection... ♫ "Vomit all ooover... Vomit all ooover... Vomit, vomit... an end to vooomit..." ♪

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 7, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fuminowns

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This week on We Never Learn, Fumino asks a question which has troubled man since the dawn of time: "Why would a sandwich disturb my ankle?!"

lmao Her dad is going to extremely flip out next chapter, because he is definitely going to notice some of his clothes missing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Future Ghostwriter is a complete write off. Thank god bone collection picked the gently caress up.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i find it worth reading future ghostwriter because it's interesting to see what kind of morality the mangaka is trying to attempt

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looking kinda hot there, Nariyuki.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Future Ghostwriter is a complete write off. Thank god bone collection picked the gently caress up.

Yep, Bone Collector is pretty good now. Almost every character is some kind of goofy idiot, with both of the main protagonists being the goofiest and dumbest of them all. :allears:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Loving Mashle and Bone Collection, but Agravity Boys is probably my favorite newer series at the moment. Every chapter is great and I'm legit shocked how well it's tying things from previous chapters together in hilarious ways. I never would have guessed that such a goofy gaga manga would have such a well-intertwined story.

Really meh on Ghostwriter though, which is a shame after it's great first chapter. Bone Collection is surprising me too since it initially seemed like fairly generic Shonen, but is so fun. Guardian of the Witch was also pretty generic so maybe I should give that another chance too.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 7, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Enjoying Mashle a lot more than I initially expected. Thought it would be kind of a poor knockoff of ONE's formula that would wear thin fast, but it learned the right lesson from OPM style stuff of expanding the cast quickly.

Haven't checked out Bone Collection of Agravity Boys yet.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Futaba Anzu posted:

i find it worth reading future ghostwriter because it's interesting to see what kind of morality the mangaka is trying to attempt

I am also intrigued. Is it going for "there's no reason a fake can't become as good as the real thing", or will it turn out that he's just pathetically making excuses to avoid feeling like a bad person? The end of this current chapter shows he's kind of losing it already, which is entertaining in a way I don't usually associate with shonen. Bonus, Aino is cute and dumb.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I'll keep reading Ghostwriter cus I really want to see where it goes, it has a lot of potential. The arts good too! Unfortunately, it seems like it can also very easily go off in some mediocre directions, too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zerilan posted:

Enjoying Mashle a lot more than I initially expected. Thought it would be kind of a poor knockoff of ONE's formula that would wear thin fast, but it learned the right lesson from OPM style stuff of expanding the cast quickly.

most recent is very ONE with the deadpan shootdown.
Those two characters from Lang would feel completely normal in OPM.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Every single joke about mashle breaking a door has landed flawlessly. The characters have the right mix of personalities and it's consistent across the good guys and the villains. I really hope Olore joins the good guys purely because of the burn he delivered to the other guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really liked the final gag of this chapter of mashle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Undead Unluck was also fun this week. Wonder what effect Galaxy will have on the world.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, this was a golden Sunday for the manga.

Agravity boys:
Is going further down the road of insanity, weaving a web of lies that can only end in disaster.
"One thing led to another and now I'm a guy" was a fantastic line.
I'm not blown away by every chapter, but the Mangaka is doing really well in introducing new concepts while keeping the continuity going. Like the leader and his Russian henchman who recently admitted to just tagging along because his leader is a fuckup, that chapter gets a tiny shout out. :allears:
Meanwhile, the prison break is still a big part.
This chapter was really great.

Moriking:
Just another day in the life of a king. Really good

Bone collection:
Was indeed amusing I wonder where this is going.

Mashle:
Mashle is sooo good.
"Once time passes it never returns"
And while it focuses on the gags I just can't wait for Mash to meet these 2 new guys.

We never learn:
It's amazing how much better this arc is than Rizu's. :( Fumino really was such a good girl.

Meanwhile, Chainsawman and Dr Stone were also fantastic. It was a good Sunday. :D

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I have to wonder if the author of Future Ghostwriter felt that they couldn't just make a straight-up series of Aino trying to get into the manga-making business because it'd be too much like Bakuman, and so the MC and this whole mess of plagiarizing was added.

It's pretty rude of the MC to keep assuming what Aino would feel. He thought she'd want to kill him in the last chapter, and he was wrong about that. And now he thinks she'll get so hurt that she'd give up drawing manga if she ever found out the truth about what he did. His guilt is really coloring how he sees Aino.

booksnake posted:

I am also intrigued. Is it going for "there's no reason a fake can't become as good as the real thing", or will it turn out that he's just pathetically making excuses to avoid feeling like a bad person? The end of this current chapter shows he's kind of losing it already, which is entertaining in a way I don't usually associate with shonen. Bonus, Aino is cute and dumb.

I hate the MC, but it's kind of interesting how far he'll dig his own grave before it catches up to him.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If it pulls an Undead (largely by burying the MC so hard he'll go through the earth and reach the UK) I'll catch up to it then.

As is, if it got pushed into the uncareing maw of cancelation before then I (and japan, if the legion of shitpost threads on 2channel is anything to go by) wouldn't be sad about it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 8, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If anyone cares Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san ended. Standard rom-com ending, unsurprisingly the title girl won.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The end of an era.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, another Z-Tier hornball harem 'comedy' will pop up and eat up a slot again sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

RatHat posted:

If anyone cares Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san ended. Standard rom-com ending, unsurprisingly the title girl won.