Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Trying to recall an Anime that aired on Toonami or Adult Swim back in the day. It was about two exorcists boy and girl dressed in traditional robes and whatnot. Can't recall the name. There was another one as well that was super ecchi about the son of the head priest who'd be able to channel super amounts of holy energy whenever something ecchi happened and was the one guy surrounded by several priestesses in training. They both just sort of popped into my head all of a sudden.
Is the first one Kekkaishi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The second one is Tenchi Muyo, I think.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Is the first one Kekkaishi?

Pretty sure that's the one. Thanks.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The second one is Tenchi Muyo, I think.

I actually managed to find the other one, it's Amaenaide yo!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kekkaishi's best parts are very skewed toward the last 2/3 or so. you can guess what the anime covers.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah my memory of Kekkaishi was it didn't really kick into gear until the MC's mum threw a dragon at the school for shits and giggles.

Or hell the fight where wolf boy dies even.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the new jump baseball manga seems pretty formulaic for a sports manga still.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

:drat: Sakamoto pulling out the best spread of the series so far with Hardboiled.

Sakamoto Days is the only series I've jumped on this early. Normally I'm too afraid of the cuts to get invested but it's already so much fun that I'm willing to take the risk.

I did read the first chapter of i tell c because the thumbnail on the release chapter had me curious but after actually reading through it I could tell that the central conceit was not going to do anything for me.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 21, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cloks posted:

the new jump baseball manga seems pretty formulaic for a sports manga still.

Well it’s chapter 2

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Next chapter starts with "okay that's two down, now we just need to find the rest of a team. Know any quirky guys with very narrow skill sets? Or maybe someone who swore off baseball forever after a traumatic baseball-related event in middle school?"

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 22, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Jujutsu Kaisen Well that didn’t take long. I guess Yuji isn’t exactly trying to hide.
Anyway Choso is implying Yuji’s father was FakeGeto’s last vessel then? That still doesn’t explain the fake memories but maybe it means Yuji isn’t a normal human and might have an ability after all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RatHat posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen Well that didn’t take long. I guess Yuji isn’t exactly trying to hide.
Anyway Choso is implying Yuji’s father was FakeGeto’s last vessel then? That still doesn’t explain the fake memories but maybe it means Yuji isn’t a normal human and might have an ability after all.

I think Choso is talking about the Paintings' father, given he still thinks Yuji is his brother

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I think Choso is talking about the Paintings' father, given he still thinks Yuji is his brother

that's how I read it too but it is a weird thing to emphasize if it has no relevance to anything at all

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Roboco, the lion, the ordermaid and the wardrobe.

I currently still like 9 dragon balls. It's obviously still setting up, but I like the characters at least.

Witch Watch seems like a lot of fun actually. Thing I appreciate most is how it was so easy to go for fanservice this chapter and it didn't. Instead it's just having fun.

Magu-chan is actually setting up a plot in the cutest way possible.

oh Mashle. :allears:

Elusive samurai was fine.

Sakomoto was fun and had some good looking action.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Witch Watch seems to be finding its stride after an aggressively okay first chapter, and an alright second chapter. I enjoyed the third one.

Sakamoto still owns.

I dropped Elusive Samurai. It just doesn't grab my attention in any way, my eyes glaze over when I try to read it. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not my cup of tea at all.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I have one issue with this week's Magu-chan: Who was it that Uneras said she despises? The language was a bit vague to me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I Am Fowl posted:

I have one issue with this week's Magu-chan: Who was it that Uneras said she despises? The language was a bit vague to me.

Probably on purpose, although my guess is
The second and third pillars, cause she said the holy knights immediately used the sealing crystals when they got them from her and there's not many other targets they could have used them on and Magu and Uneras' talk wouldn't make sense if it was someone already in the room. There's also the thing at the beginning were they reintroduced the gods and their rank which also served as a reminder we still don't know who second and third are.

Although the thing that confused me is
Magu said that including breaking the seals on Zonze and Gu La they also caused a "strange blizzard" is he talking about on Christmas or was there another blizzard I forgot about?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Probably on purpose, although my guess is
The second and third pillars, cause she said the holy knights immediately used the sealing crystals when they got them from her and there's not many other targets they could have used them on and Magu and Uneras' talk wouldn't make sense if it was someone already in the room. There's also the thing at the beginning were they reintroduced the gods and their rank which also served as a reminder we still don't know who second and third are.

Although the thing that confused me is
Magu said that including breaking the seals on Zonze and Gu La they also caused a "strange blizzard" is he talking about on Christmas or was there another blizzard I forgot about?

That's the only one that's happened so it's probably that one.

I look forward to seeing where this is going.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Soukyuu no Ariadne

Anyone else still following Soukyuu? Loving the current arc.
poor Hydro doesn't look so good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that series completely lost me with the time travel thing

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

that series completely lost me with the time travel thing

The time travel part seemed pretty inoffensive to me. I’m digging it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Man I remember why I couldn't remember the mom arc in Assassination Classroom. It's already over and we're moving onto a festival arc. That was like 3 chapters of really awkward drama to re-live.

Monster #8 however is doing good. Teamwork makes the dream work and I love a good old fashion giant battle axe. :black101:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Double posting because Marvel's series of manga stories is doing it right. Deadpool: Samurai is not about our immortal wisecracker going back in time like the previous oneshot, instead it's about Deadpool (now a member of the Avengers) saving the world from Loki and acquiring a couple of OC donotsteal original characters in the process. Humor is good, I get a chuckle every chapter and the writer is definitely having fun with having access to both the marvel universe, and Shonen Jump+.

Whole thing is a limited run which is a good fit to be honest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sindai posted:

Next chapter starts with "okay that's two down, now we just need to find the rest of a team. Know any quirky guys with very narrow skill sets? Or maybe someone who swore off baseball forever after a traumatic baseball-related event in middle school?"
I admit I wasn't expecting to be that right

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah lets find all the weird eccentric guys that no one else will take.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Finally got around to making a Jujutsu Kaisen thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960719

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I really appreciate that Jump is translating more and more currently running series because when i started reading the magazine, the US version was very carefully curated so it was a mix of proven hits and series that has already ended. There's no way that in 2005 they would've been simul-publishing stuff like Roboco or Nine Dragons or Sakamoto Days.

It's cool to read a version of Jump that's much closer to what is published in Japan even if the reality is that a lot of the manga isn't that great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cloks posted:

I really appreciate that Jump is translating more and more currently running series because when i started reading the magazine, the US version was very carefully curated so it was a mix of proven hits and series that has already ended. There's no way that in 2005 they would've been simul-publishing stuff like Roboco or Nine Dragons or Sakamoto Days.

It's cool to read a version of Jump that's much closer to what is published in Japan even if the reality is that a lot of the manga isn't that great.

Although the problem with this is you now get the pain of canceled series.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking of cancellation of series, which do you think will go first? High School Family, Build King, or Phantom Seer?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hsf is so inexplicable that it will probably stick around for a while.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sakamoto Days proving that no matter how dangerous an assassin they encounter. Aoi is still more terrifying than they are. Hardboiled is going to join the crew now, kung fu chick will probably become a babysitter.

As for Mashle; I wish Finn was allowed to handle his own problems, however Mashle beating this mirror force dude into the dust will suffice.

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of cancellation of series, which do you think will go first? High School Family, Build King, or Phantom Seer?

The only reason I won't put Build King as the first is because the writer's previous work is probably going to carry the reputation of Build King for at least a couple volumes then he might go the way of Samurai 8. But man am I not finding anything about it particularly gripping ever since the MC pulled out a hammer powered by his stamina that can fix stuff instantly. Yes, the very next challenge presented something he couldn't just hit into a better state so instead he turned the hammer around and hit that thing hard enough to break it into a better state. I can't help but compare this to Toriko but that series had the decency not to frontload the magic system into the story and just rely on really good cooks and really strong fighters with bizarre anatomies or just outright strength. Current arc is the licensing evaluation and already I am tired of reading the world 'vigor'.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sakamoto Days proving that no matter how dangerous an assassin they encounter. Aoi is still more terrifying than they are. Hardboiled is going to join the crew now, kung fu chick will probably become a babysitter.

As for Mashle; I wish Finn was allowed to handle his own problems, however Mashle beating this mirror force dude into the dust will suffice.

The only reason I won't put Build King as the first is because the writer's previous work is probably going to carry the reputation of Build King for at least a couple volumes then he might go the way of Samurai 8. But man am I not finding anything about it particularly gripping ever since the MC pulled out a hammer powered by his stamina that can fix stuff instantly. Yes, the very next challenge presented something he couldn't just hit into a better state so instead he turned the hammer around and hit that thing hard enough to break it into a better state. I can't help but compare this to Toriko but that series had the decency not to frontload the magic system into the story and just rely on really good cooks and really strong fighters with bizarre anatomies or just outright strength. Current arc is the licensing evaluation and already I am tired of reading the world 'vigor'.

I'm still confused on what Finn's personal magic was. :psyduck: He ran away, changed places and changed the location of the hurt guy?
Also doesn't this just mean the mirror guy will transfer getting smushed into a wall into Finn? :ohdear:
Still great chapter. Oddly I was expecting Mash to get lost somehow.

Magu chan: The third pillar! And he doesn't seem good?

Sakamoto: was fun this chapter. I really enjoyed it and the way they get intel and the different responses to it.

9 Dragonballs: Standard? Absolutely. But I'm still enjoying it, it's a light read.

Sindai posted:

I admit I wasn't expecting to be that right
And this made me laugh

Roboco: Was funny. I just love bad guy friends.

Elusive Samurai: I don't think I can last much longer. I wanted to hold on, because I for some reason expect some kind of pay off to this. But it's just not clicking and I just sort off skim over it.

Witch Watch: That was cute.

Undead Unluck was pretty neat.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mashle is so, so good, goddamn. It may be the best "serious" series running in jump right now.

Roboco then is the best comedic series, of course.

Witch Watch is cute and funny and has fun characters. Each week surprises me with how fun it is!

Sakamoto is winning me over too. Wasn't crazy on the first several chapters but it's drawing me in. The video rental place was clever!

Elusive Samurai I am impressed did a hot springs scene without any nudity! Otherwise ehh.

I legit forgot what the last chapter was for I Tell C. Smoke bomb was funny as was Aioi appearing behind the dude. But man do I just not give a gently caress about what's happening.

Nine Dragons reminds me of the San Jose Bees, which I highly recommend listening to The Dollop episode for.

Magu has really good art!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The magic system is just Haki anyway and it got explained super fast already.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Well last night I accidentally started reading Undead Unluck and like every other time I pick up a series that's under 100 chapters, if I don't get completely turned off by it then I don't fall sleep until I catch up. It's is getting extremely high concept for where it started, and I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with it, but any story about killing God is gonna keep my eye on it unless it totally drops the ball.
I guess tonight I'm gonna stay up all night reading Mashle since it's getting a lot more groundswell here.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well at some point you just give up on a series for not being very good and lose the current context to keep judging/discussing. endlessly repeating your dislike of a series doesn't seem fun for anyone involved either.

Mashle is popular in a general sense. i think the jokes are super hit or miss, the action is on the weaker side, and it's hard to always enjoy the serious stuff when some characters are so thin or obnoxious. that was from reading up through the 40s and i could definitely see myself continuing to read through inertia because it hits a mark every once in a while, but that feels like a waste.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The magic system is just Haki anyway and it got explained super fast already.

It's so boring I guess that comparison works here.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Man I remember why I couldn't remember the mom arc in Assassination Classroom. It's already over and we're moving onto a festival arc. That was like 3 chapters of really awkward drama to re-live.

Monster #8 however is doing good. Teamwork makes the dream work and I love a good old fashion giant battle axe. :black101:

Yeah, it ended so fast it made my head spin. :lol: I was prepared for at least two chapters for the resolution but didn't imagine it'd just get swept under the rug in one chapter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Shaman King trailer, apparently the remake is going to be a Netflix exclusive:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rV8RZrZskdk

I can’t tell, does Horohoro have a new VA as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The series kinda lost me near the end, but my first real exposure to manga instead of just anime VHSes borrowed from older friends was the english issue of Shonen Jump that had the first Shaman King chapter in it, so it's a series I have some really fond nostalgia of. Will definitely at least check it out soon as it's out.