Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised with Ayashimon.

I fully expected Urara's transformation to just be into an older, "more attractive" form, not a sick rear end six eyed devil wolf thing.

Agreed on that point!

Also, Maruo's details on his backstory were also pretty heavy, but they managed to thread the line by focusing on how manga protagonists inspired Maruo. Not to be a good person, but to be someone who doesn't lose. It's got this nuance to it that I'm liking.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I should get round to reading that, I haven't been making good use of my jump sub so I'm trying to catch up. I'm all caught up on Magu-chan and Sakamoto, what should I jump on next?

High School Family's a surprisingly solid gag manga. Each family member's got a different high school genre so it manages to keep things fresh. It's currently doing a sports tournament with the dad and actually treats it sincerely. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is funny how quickly the creator of High School Family realized that the dad sports story was the highlight and just started focusing mainly on him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mashle's art improved so much from the start it is kind of incredible

Desperate Character posted:

I don't care what anyone else thinks, Protect Me Shugomaru! had the absolute best chapter this week in Shonen Jump

holy poo poo i can't stop laughing
committed whole hog to the joke too

sorry I'm not gonna look at someone backlit

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised with Ayashimon.

I fully expected Urara's transformation to just be into an older, "more attractive" form, not a sick rear end six eyed devil wolf thing.
The author's previous series, Jigokuraku, has a lot of cool rear end monster forms too. If anything, Urara's new form isn't monstrous/cool enough, but that could be the weekly pace taking it's toll.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

The author's previous series, Jigokuraku, has a lot of cool rear end monster forms too. If anything, Urara's new form isn't monstrous/cool enough, but that could be the weekly pace taking it's toll.

I think it's just the case that the current story hasn't gotten to the level of buddhist hell abominations that Hell's Paradise allowed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: Still good.

Elusive Samurai: Hell yeah ninjas and subterfuge, dope poo poo.

Mash: Who knew skipping stones could be so deadly???? Go kick the daddy boy's rear end, Mash!

Robocco: Not gonna lie I actually like the idea of a chair that's actually just a folded desk.

Sakamoto: Ooh, a mysterious third peer to Sakamoto and Nagano mentioned. Wonder if they'll ever show up.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ayashimon: I too was ready for her to become hot. Instead she became cool. I also didn't expect Moero to get beaten already, I was expecting him to get back up. Cool.

Doron: Cool chapter. Yet, something about the pacing feels off to me. Not sure what, because I also appreciate how they didn't dwell.

Elusive: Getting ready for ninja's! The uncle's gag was great.

Sakamoto: Speaking of gag's. The imaginary murder gag returns, except as a compliment. This chapter was quite funny. Hyo and NAgano are the perfect buddies.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Sakamoto: Ooh, a mysterious third peer to Sakamoto and Nagano mentioned. Wonder if they'll ever show up.
:confused: They already did? Wasn't X the third guy?

Mash: :tviv: I think this is the first time Mash is actually threatening to kill someone. This should be cool.
Mash trashtalking :allears:

Maguchan: That was a weird ending for the infinite one. Still, quite heartwarming. I wonder where this is going.

Witch Watch: Minecraft magic shenigans! :woop:

Roboco: A good chapter again. That shelf was hilarious.

Undead Unluck: This is al very confusing, compelling but confusing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto: Speaking of gag's. The imaginary murder gag returns, except as a compliment. This chapter was quite funny. Hyo and NAgano are the perfect buddies.

:confused: They already did? Wasn't X the third guy?

Nah, I'm talking about the Akao dude who was mentioned.

Slur/X is Adachi.

Hyo (the big Order dude) says he never heard of Adachi (Nagano also says that Adachi didn't leave much of an impression), but that the standout students in Sakamoto's trainee days were Sakamoto himself, Nagano, and a dude called Akao (who's shaded out without any features shown).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Nah, I'm talking about the Akao dude who was mentioned.

Slur/X is Adachi.

Hyo (the big Order dude) says he never heard of Adachi (Nagano also says that Adachi didn't leave much of an impression), but that the standout students in Sakamoto's trainee days were Sakamoto himself, Nagano, and a dude called Akao (who's shaded out without any features shown).

Must've read too fast then. Thanks for setting me straight.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Hell's Paradise was an absolute banger visually, though I am to this undecided what I think about the ending, story-wise.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Warden posted:

Hell's Paradise was an absolute banger visually, though I am to this undecided what I think about the ending, story-wise.

I think the biggest flaw with Hell's Paradise was how the big group fight that happened in the castle basically got reset and they had to fight all the weak points but with a slightly altered roster so we could incorporate the executioners that showed up after the main group did. Other than that the boat fight was fine and I like the ending for what it is. Story just needed to wrap up to that point sooner rather than pad it out another dozen or so chapters.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo the worst part about hell's paradise was how it treated the mc's wife. she feels kinda pointless and she's so far removed from the plot that whether she's even real is its own sub plot. like I get that she's the mc's motivation but it's p lame.
kinda wish they'd actually gone through with her being an illusion because it would have been more interesting

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad Gabimaru's wife was real and that Gabimaru could have a peaceful life cause if she'd been an illusion people would have been clamoring for him to be paired with Sagiri.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu Chan appears to be nearing its end.

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1486649285118730242?s=21

Though a little bit is a lot of wriggle room. I would be happy if it ended soon, better to end strong then to be a shambling zombie.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yeah magu has been killing it lately and its best to end on this high.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The current setup is also good for a natural conclusion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is definitely a premise that could just kind of run on forever but it is probably better to give it a definitive ending and then move on to something new.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I haven't caught up on Magu but I read a good chunk and found it to be pretty funny. I'd bet that it gets some kind of continuation on Jump+ if it's ending in the magazine but not ending.

Hopefully this is good news for some of the newer series as well, I want to see Ayashimon and PPPPPPP go on for a while. I know that PPPPPPP doesn't get a ton of love here but I really enjoy its unique focus on music and the character designs are really starting to work for me.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Cloks posted:

I haven't caught up on Magu but I read a good chunk and found it to be pretty funny. I'd bet that it gets some kind of continuation on Jump+ if it's ending in the magazine but not ending.

Hopefully this is good news for some of the newer series as well, I want to see Ayashimon and PPPPPPP go on for a while. I know that PPPPPPP doesn't get a ton of love here but I really enjoy its unique focus on music and the character designs are really starting to work for me.

i've been reading PPPPPPP as well from the start and i've also been digging it. it's got a neat vibe.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth TNT posted:

Magu Chan appears to be nearing its end.

https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1486649285118730242?s=21

Though a little bit is a lot of wriggle room. I would be happy if it ended soon, better to end strong then to be a shambling zombie.

I'd be happy if this means Kei Kamiki gets to try something new. While it certainly wasn't a runaway success, Magu chan has been charming me every week and seems to have been strong enough to avoid the chopping block and end on its own terms; if this is the end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

M.Matsuda posted:

i've been reading PPPPPPP as well from the start and i've also been digging it. it's got a neat vibe.

I'm still not remotely sold, but it's been showing signs of life, which is good for the people who like it. High profile promotions, not sitting at the back, much better sales than expected, special promos announced...

Might survive after all, which is a bit of a surprise to me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm still not remotely sold, but it's been showing signs of life, which is good for the people who like it. High profile promotions, not sitting at the back, much better sales than expected, special promos announced...

Might survive after all, which is a bit of a surprise to me.

I wasn't a huge fan until I started listening to the music referenced in the chapters while reading it, that really helped me get into the story

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

I'd be happy if this means Kei Kamiki gets to try something new. While it certainly wasn't a runaway success, Magu chan has been charming me every week and seems to have been strong enough to avoid the chopping block and end on its own terms; if this is the end.

This is exactly where I stand. Maguchan has been charming. There was 1 arc with Muscar where it felt like the mangaka didn't know where to go, but overal it's just been slice of life with heart warming characters and silly gods.
The way this arc is set up, if it sticks the landing then this will definitely be remembered (by me) as an extremely charming and light hearted read.
If the mangaka gets another chance then I'll definitely give it a shot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Any chance of Magu getting an anime? Mostly just want the Christmas arc to get animated and voiced definitely my favorite story in the manga.

Also speaking of almost ending, Fire Force didnt end on an even 300, but it looks like it's going into the epilogue, maybe?

Anyway this made me laugh

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Magu-chan really shined in those little holiday arcs--showed its heart.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mash: what are you going to do? Tell daddy? :master:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was definitely a final chapter of Magu-chan. I assume the follow up chapters will involve flash forwards.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's a pretty good send off chapter. Good luck on becoming everybody's mom Ruru.

Darth TNT posted:

Mash: what are you going to do? Tell daddy? :master:

So loving good

These chapters in Witch Watch with the teacher and student talking about their favorite manga continue to be real good.

Mangaplus has all the English chapters for a bunch of series if you download the app, but you can only read each chapter once I think?
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/578/

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
goddamn Tabata has just been killing it with the artwork and chapters of Black Clover since Lucifero manifested. Absolutely my favorite devil design of the series.

the last panel of today's chapter is peak shonen :black101:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ayashimon continues to be good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That was a lovely sendoff chapter for Magu-chan. Feels a lot like it was an authorial decision to end now.

I'm really excited about the upcoming arc in Elusive Samurai--total change in setting, lot of political intrigue, should be good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Dr Stone: Not impressed, get on with it.

Yokazura: Wow, that's a deep cut referencing When the Wind Blows of all films.

Undead: Well. That's just existentially terrifying.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

That was a lovely sendoff chapter for Magu-chan. Feels a lot like it was an authorial decision to end now.

I'm really excited about the upcoming arc in Elusive Samurai--total change in setting, lot of political intrigue, should be good.

Yep. This is pretty much how I wanted Magu Chan to end. Just plain sweet. Mom was there, Ruru was grateful. The gods are secretly good. I’m going to miss these goofs.

(Also lol at the 10 holy knights in disguise.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yokazura: Wow, that's a deep cut referencing When the Wind Blows of all films.

I can't believe that got referenced lol. I'd have thought if it was something like that it'd be grave of the fireflies but clearly it traumatised the other too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

These chapters in Witch Watch with the teacher and student talking about their favorite manga continue to be real good.

I always feel bad for the translator for those chapters because there's just so much writing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Witch Watch: I'm ashamed to admit I didn't finish it yet. I like sensei and her friend, but there's just so much rambling text I lose focus.

Roboco: Very good

Elusive: Very good, looking forward to this arc.

Sakamoto: Old guy backstory! Sort off. And, we're all set for sheninigans. This is going to be awesome. :woop:

Undead: Getting bored again.

Doromn: This is pretty standard shounen, but I still like it.

Ayakashi: This is hardcore.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ngl I don’t read all the rambling, I just gloss over it, I think that’s the “point” anyway until things veer off from it, like the Genos backstory bit in One Punch Man.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: Woah.

Elusive Samurai: Things are getting exciting now that Toshiyuki is forced to venture out of the safety of the Suwa Shrine and right into the heart of the enemy forces. I look forward to seeing how poo poo plays out and learning more about this enemies!

Mashle: Somehow this fight has less tension than the previous one. I guess part of it is just... going from people who fight using more obscure concepts and then going to a dude who fights using, uh, water, feels sort of less threatening. Which isn't to say that water isn't weak, but it feels so simple. Also the dude already going ANGER SUPER MODE makes him like he's already showing his hand.

Roboco: The loving Goreinu joke made me laugh out loud, it's such an obvious joke but the fact that it hadn't been used yet caught me off guard. Complete with the downside of losing 3 players at once if Gachi/Goreinu gets knocked out. I also dig the joke of drawing a gigantic hulking behemoth and calling it an elementary schooler cause that poo poo's funny to me.

Sakamoto: Mainly setting up stuff for the next arc but I look forward to seeing everyone in Assassination Classroom.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Doron Dororon -- I still like this very much. It has an Early Bleach feeling which I find quite charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto: Old guy backstory! Sort off. And, we're all set for sheninigans. This is going to be awesome. :woop:

I just love that his backstory boils down to ":shrug: he's basically just a force of nature that nobody can understand or predict" because any actual explanation would probably be a let down.