Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Marriage Toxin continues to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lmao at the Water User being the most typical, heavy-duty tsundere you can get without having twintails. It's great. :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Make the Exorcist fall in love
Welp, time for the mentor figure to die.

Warden posted:

Marriage Toxin continues to be great.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

When a literal demon lord looks at your past and says “Jesus Christ”

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Just lmao at the Water User being the most typical, heavy-duty tsundere you can get without having twintails. It's great. :allears:

:hmmyes:

RatHat posted:

When a literal demon lord looks at your past and says “Jesus Christ”

Yeah, that was something

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Edens Zero:
Witch having no idea whats going on is just the best :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, with Eden’s Zero currently in what appears to be its final arc has Mashima said anything yet about whether he’s doing something else afterwards?

Also if I remember right the anime should be starting back up again in a few months (100 Years Quest is apparently also getting an anime but I don’t know if we’ve heard anything more than “it’s happening”)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not AFIK, he did take a sabbatical when he was done with FT going into EZ so I'm not too worried he's going to vanish into the aether or anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How involved is he in 100 Years Quest for that matter (the new artist seems to be aping his style pretty well at least)?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not AFIK, he did take a sabbatical when he was done with FT going into EZ so I'm not too worried he's going to vanish into the aether or anything.

Dude loves big boobs too much to just stop.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mashima occupies a weird middle ground where he tends to write a lot of strong female characters but at the same time also enjoys putting as much fanservice in his work as he can get away with (though I don’t remember Rave Master being quite as bad in that regard)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There was a fair bit of Elle being put through the wringer if memory serves right.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mashima specializes in extremely mid shounen manga with lots of titties, which is a perfectly fine niche. but then every so often he dips into rapey bdsm poo poo. can't say i'm a fan of that.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
TSUYOSHI: The one who no one can win against 1-9

Someone just recently started translating this again after like 3 years, and I ended up starting it the other day because of that. It's pretty entertaining.

It's about the world's strongest martial artist (maybe), only he's a convenience store clerk who would rather do anything but fight. It's kinda funny! The MC's fighting style is a bit...unorthodox.

X

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RubberLuffy posted:

Someone just recently started translating this again after like 3 years, and I ended up starting it the other day because of that. It's pretty entertaining.

It's about the world's strongest martial artist (maybe), only he's a convenience store clerk who would rather do anything but fight. It's kinda funny! The MC's fighting style is a bit...unorthodox.

X

Okay, I'm three chapters in, and this is great

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

RubberLuffy posted:

X

Just read this last night and it’s quite enjoyable. I love the sweet old lady who hands out candy to people she likes much to the chagrin of all the old guys who don’t get any :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
guy punches so many dicks he should have a theme song

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

Mashima occupies a weird middle ground where he tends to write a lot of strong female characters but at the same time also enjoys putting as much fanservice in his work as he can get away with (though I don’t remember Rave Master being quite as bad in that regard)

There's Julia wrestling a dude who can turn into acid by jumping off an airship while holding onto him.

The dude turns into acid to break free from her hold only to realize that he's effectively killed himself by doing so because the acid is sent flying all over the place and he can't reform himself.

Also Julia is topless cause her shirt melted from the acid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Julia kills one of the 4 Demon Kings by french kissing her and breathing fire into her throat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Julia rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah yes, forgot about that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larryb posted:

Ah yes, forgot about that

Don't forget about Julia's backstory where Let and Julia's incel friend Jerkoff betrays Let and brainwashes Julia and keeps her in dragon form because he lusts for her and uses her as his dragon mount (even though Jerkoff is himself a dragon).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Electric Phantasm posted:

Dude loves big boobs too much to just stop.

Mashima will keep drawing lucy getting into situations that involve being naked or near enough naked.
he will not stop
he cannot be stopped

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
When he tried to stop, he just renamed her Rebecca and put her in space.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, with Eden’s Zero currently in what appears to be its final arc has Mashima said anything yet about whether he’s doing something else afterwards?

Also if I remember right the anime should be starting back up again in a few months (100 Years Quest is apparently also getting an anime but I don’t know if we’ve heard anything more than “it’s happening”)

I wonder if its going to be another remake of fairy tail but in a different setting.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I don't know exactly what I was expecting but that was a solid face reveal in Choujin X.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

I don't know exactly what I was expecting but that was a solid face reveal in Choujin X.

drat I can’t believe Big Mo didn’t make it. I’m fully in on the weird world that Choujin X has created. Everything has this touch of surrealness to it that just works for me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wonder if its going to be another remake of fairy tail but in a different setting.

Plot Twist: This time it’s a remake of Rave Master but in a different setting

Seriously though, why does Mashima reuse character designs so much (also the snowman dog Plue and some form of Jellal have been in literally every single one of his works that I’m aware of)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 26, 2023

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If Osamu Tezuka got away with it then the horny shounen author can too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ethiser posted:

If Osamu Tezuka got away with it then the horny shounen author can too.

Fair point (though Fairy Tail didn't copy from Rave Master nearly as much as Eden's Zero copied from Fairy Tail), and at the very least he usually changes the personalities/backstories of the characters just enough that they're still somewhat unique despite the visual similarities

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 26, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i've finally gone through and read undead unluck over the past day (i'm a few chapters behind now) and hey it's real good

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I never understand 100% of what’s going on in Choujin X, but I like it

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Mumbling posted:

I reread Choujin X from the beginning because I had no idea what was happening in the latest chapters. I still don’t know wtf but I’m fully engrossed in the story

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Elfface posted:

When he tried to stop, he just renamed her Rebecca and put her in space.

https://twitter.com/hiro_mashima/status/1144590738228797440

I feel people overstate the similarities.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
exactly. their bangs are all pointing in different directions!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is there any love for Gachiakuta here? I think there are only fan translations at the moment but so far it’s loving cool as heck

https://twitter.com/garmtwt/status/1615796843644084224?s=46&t=ryrtrUC2Asf_W44Qm2BK-Q

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 27, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mumbling posted:

I can't decide whether I like it or not. Sometimes I do and then I try to understand what's happening or try to follow the action and I just short circuit my brain.

Edens Zero is pretty fun. It's the only thing I've ever actually read by Mashima though and it's such a...weird experience. I kinda respect the dude for simultaneously getting his horny on while mostly keeping the women strong and capable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the giant collection of dead moms to harvest mom power (??????????) is a legend of weirdness.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I can't decide whether I like it or not. Sometimes I do and then I try to understand what's happening or try to follow the action and I just short circuit my brain.

Edens Zero is pretty fun. It's the only thing I've ever actually read by Mashima though and it's such a...weird experience. I kinda respect the dude for simultaneously getting his horny on while mostly keeping the women strong and capable.

That’s basically how all his manga are in my experience, yeah (and I’m not sure how much involvement he has in the Fairy Tail sequel but whoever’s behind it appears to be following in his footsteps pretty closely)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The new Ragna Crimson rocks, I'm a sucker for "aaaaah stupid hero how will you get through our impossible impassable many-layered god-fortress?" > "i punched it" jokes.