Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ConanThe3rd posted:

So the manga that "won" October 22's Manga Plus bronze creators awards got put up and oh boy they're some derivative crap.
One (Ruthless Render) is trying entirely too hard to be Chainsaw Man and the other (I Sold My body To A God) is 20 years too late to be serialised in Raijin Comics with Fist of the Blue Sky and Bomber Girl.

Gotta give them credit for having the cajones to try and copy Chainsaw Man, especially right now.

It's not a smart decision to make, and from one chapter you can tell that they do not have the ability to make it work, or really an understanding of why CSM works, but by god they had the balls to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ethiser posted:

The end of the latest chapter of Ranger Daishikkaku is pretty crazy.

It's wild and god I hope it's not a fakeout it'll be so funny if it gets played straight.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I can only hope this actually worked.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

I can only hope this actually worked.

The narration made it sound like it was going to stick so fingers crossed.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ethiser posted:

It’s bad rear end.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lmao, I decided to check out Rangers Daishikkaku a few days ago and this is the chapter I caught up to manga. Talk about a cliff-hanger. :stonklol:

I really hope it sticks. Red Ranger seems to have a pretty inhuman strength, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he is an Executive or Trooper, or something else (a dragon?) in deep cover, but he is also unlikable psychopath and I want to give our protagonist a guilt-free win.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It would be extremely funny and ironic if the guy who is obsessed with strength and his image dies anticlimactically like a chump in his underwear.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ibblebibble posted:

It would be extremely funny and ironic if the guy who is obsessed with strength and his image dies anticlimactically like a chump in his underwear.

Best way for a guy like him to go out

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

So the manga that "won" October 22's Manga Plus bronze creators awards got put up and oh boy they're some derivative crap.
One (Ruthless Render) is trying entirely too hard to be Chainsaw Man and the other (I Sold My body To A God) is 20 years too late to be serialised in Raijin Comics with Fist of the Blue Sky and Bomber Girl.

The second one started as a hentai version by the artist lmfao I had no idea it had a sfw version and is now being published on mags

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Plutonis posted:

The second one started as a hentai version by the artist lmfao I had no idea it had a sfw version and is now being published on mags

that explains the vibe
im guessing in the hentai version the essence suck is actually just rape

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did Gachiakuta really just immediately kill off the new girl as soon as the main characters left? Jesus Christ.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

Did Gachiakuta really just immediately kill off the new girl as soon as the main characters left? Jesus Christ.

It certainly looks that way, huh?

Gonna be real between the content of the flashback, the length of it and this, the momentum is kinda dead on Gachikuta for me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 5, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mashle is back on point. Underground boomerang physics.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kdrudy posted:

Mashle is back on point. Underground boomerang physics.

It feels so good to be back to why I love this series.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Mashle: Ew, old man hand

Brought To You By posted:

It feels so good to be back to why I love this series.

:hmmyes:

Blue Box: Feels like things are heading towards bringing Chinatsu's friend back to the basketball team, which, uh, I don't think I'm particularly interested in seeing. I do think it's a good idea to give Chinatsu more characters to interact with, but her friend has kinda sucked so far.

Witch Watch: This storyline, and Ms. Onizuka especially, feels like a GTO homage

Ichigoki's Under Control!: man, this is worse than Protect Me, Shugomaru!

Jiangshi X: I'm begging you, do something, anything interesting

Cipher Academy: these next couple of chapters probably aren't going to work well in English, unfortunately

Ayakashi Triangle: is continuing to do something

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Ichigoki's Under Control!: man, this is worse than Protect Me, Shugomaru!

I haven't been reading it for a while, but it appears you aren't alone in that assessment; it's one of the series doing poorly in the rankings right now, alongside PPPPPP, Tokyo Demon Bride Story, Ginka & Glüna, and High School Family. Those other four series may save Ichigoki from the chopping block for a while, though.

Aside from High School Family (which I don't think I've ever read, so it could be a masterpiece for all I know), the bad series are the only ones doing badly, which is a relief. As of last week, Akane-Banashi is doing great, and Cipher Academy, Undead Unluck, and Elusive Samurai are in the middle of the pack.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
PPPPPP is getting a lot of critical accolades but that doesn't necessarily add up to much in terms of Jump.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Mashle: This week was a real return to form. Makes me wish it had never stopped being this kind of manga, you know?

Elusive Samurai: Hey, have I told you guys how much I love the art in Elusive Samurai?
Just writing a letter and he decides to heighten it into something interesting

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Aside from High School Family (which I don't think I've ever read, so it could be a masterpiece for all I know), the bad series are the only ones doing badly, which is a relief. As of last week, Akane-Banashi is doing great, and Cipher Academy, Undead Unluck, and Elusive Samurai are in the middle of the pack.

I think HSF is good, but I can see why people have fallen off of it; each family member is basically involved in their own manga (with the dad dominating), and the premise of the series has gotten a little old.

Fabricated posted:

PPPPPP is getting a lot of critical accolades but that doesn't necessarily add up to much in terms of Jump.

Yeah, it's grown on me a bit, and I think there's an interesting story there, but I think PPPPPP suffers from the format. It would probably do alright as an anime

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Elusive Samurai: Hey, have I told you guys how much I love the art in Elusive Samurai?
Just writing a letter and he decides to heighten it into something interesting

Similar things would happen in his previous series Assassination Classroom. People just taking a test turned into full on wargames and SAW puzzles.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's grown on me a bit, and I think there's an interesting story there, but I think PPPPPP suffers from the format. It would probably do alright as an anime

I'd say the problem is that it's a manga about music, but it shows no signs of the author being particularly knowledgeable about music. It would work somewhat better in a medium with sound, but it still wouldn't actually be good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: This is more related to last week but it's really cool how two people performing the same act with the same technical precision can come off so different due to their differences in experience / age / style. Anyways, Akane rules so much and I love how she views her rakugo as something that'll grow and change as she gains more experience. That said, I feel like this one sorta leans hard on the swerve. It's sorta necessary to have the impact hit the readers, but as a result the reader sorta loses out on the realization that the audience, who are more familiar with the story, have. Like with Jugemu, we had the entire story of Jugemu and the actual ending of the story revealed beforehand, so the readers and audience had a relatively equal level of familiarity, but with Fetching Tea, the readers are deliberately left unaware of the second half to set up the twist, which sorta (very slightly) dampens the experience.

Elusive Samurai: drat I remember that prince. What's interesting is that (according to a post on Reddit) the guy who killed the prince does go down in history, but not as a traitor. Rather the dude becomes a legend? And some legends even claim that he let the prince live?

quote:

Here he's portrayed as a weasel and the Prince said his name will forever be tainted as the Prince Slayer.

But... that's not what happened. History has not painted Fuchinobe as cowardly. This man actually has multiple legends attached to his name. One is a dragon slaying legend, and other is a legend that he actually secretly let the Prince live and arranged him to escape, then cut off all ties with his own family as to prevent wrath upon them. The bridge where the legend says he cut ties with his family still is known to this day as the place of severing bonds.

His death is also recorded as that of bravery, rushing into the enemy forces upon unsurmountable odds and certain death.

But a written record says otherwise, having the killer throw away the prince's head because it was glaring at him. Also the prince loving apparently did catch the sword in his teeth for realsies.

quote:

Fuchibe sat astride the Prince, pinning him down as he struggled to rise. And drawing the short sword he wore at his waist, he tried to cut off the Prince’s head. But the Prince turned his head and firmly caught the tip of the sword between his teeth. Now Fuchibe, a man of considerable strength, pulled back on the sword to prevent the Prince from seizing it, leaving about one inch of the tip broken off [in the Prince’s mouth]. So Fuchibe threw away the short sword and, pulling out his wakizashi sword, pierced the Prince twice in the chest. When the Prince appeared to be weakened from the stabs, Fuchibe grabbed his hair and sliced off his head. When Fuchibe ran out of the cell to inspect the head in the light, he saw that the Prince’s mouth was still biting the tip of the sword, and his eyes looked alive. Fuchibe thought, “Precedent would suggest I not show a head like this to my master.” So he threw it away in a nearby thicket and rejoined [Tadayoshi’s] troops.

G&G: Reddit seems convinced it'll die. Sadge. I'll miss it, I loved the fusion between the setting's creepy wizards and the genre's shounen trappings.

Mashle: Mashle calling out his evil birth dad for being a cringe edgelord was great. Also Doom is still just fuckin' there now as a part of the peanut gallery which is so funny to me.

Roboco and Me: Series has been on a roll of good chapters lately. They may not be stellar but the recent ones have all been really enjoyable to me and this week's no exception.

Sakamoto Days: Things feel like they're headed for a big mid-manga climax. Like we have the different factions - Sakamoto, Slur, JAA (mainly the Order), and now Akira & Kanaguri in an uneasy teamup. I assume Kanaguri's gonna be an evil mentor to Akari cause I don't think she's even close to his level yet even with her grimdark powerup.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I haven't been reading it for a while, but it appears you aren't alone in that assessment; it's one of the series doing poorly in the rankings right now, alongside PPPPPP, Tokyo Demon Bride Story, Ginka & Glüna, and High School Family. Those other four series may save Ichigoki from the chopping block for a while, though.

High School Family has been living at the back for years now. It's a short gag series by a vet, so it seems to be playing by different rules than the default.

I'd say it's good, but not amazing. Still, I tend to enjoy reading it every week, and it had a color page recently enough that I'd be reluctant to assume it's on the chopping block.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How often does something that is as far in as High School Family get canceled?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

How often does something that is as far in as High School Family get canceled?

Hard to say. Not many series last that long to begin with. Further, once a series has years in, it's tougher to tell when it's getting a warning to start thinking about wrapping up, and when the author's just ready to finish.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not sure what about Ginka smells like cancellation other than ToC placement, which isn't a real thing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

haypliss posted:

Not sure what about Ginka smells like cancellation other than ToC placement, which isn't a real thing.

If you say something's dying every week you'll eventually be proven correct when it happens.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayakashi Triangle is dying.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haypliss posted:

It is a real thing. It's not as big a thing as people sometimes say, but interviews with editorial have confirmed that reader surveys are one of the factors that determines placement. It's not like it's one to one, but series that are doing well tend to be earlier in the listings, and series that are bombing tend to be towards the back.

As for Ginka, we also have the sales ranking for the first volume, which is pretty low, even compared to fellow back rank dweller Tokyo Demon Bride story. It's very rare for a series to sell this poorly and survive, especially if it's not a gag series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll be honest, it feels more like Demon Bride was gonna finish up soon if anything.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I keep forgetting that Tokyo Demon Bride exists. Also Blue Box was interesting for a little while, now it's gone back to being insanely boring, but I know that I'm in the minority for thinking that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Blue Box is just OK, IMO. Not especially interesting, but not insanely boring either.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RE: Elusive Samurai

We are approaching the battle in which Ashikaga Takauji historically crushes the Hojo rebellion, right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plutonis posted:

RE: Elusive Samurai

We are approaching the battle in which Ashikaga Takauji historically crushes the Hojo rebellion, right?

Takauji comes and retakes Kamakura shortly after the Hojo's take it forcing Tokiyuki to flee. After that he claims the title of Shogun and gave his followers land without support or permission from the Emperor. He claimed he was still loyal, but the Go-Daigo decided he was not trustworthy and sent Nitta Yoshisada to reclaim Kamakura and take care of Takauji and his brother. The Ashikaga's win however and start a war with Kyoto. Tokiyuki after fleeing, becomes subordinate to Go-Daigo and the Southern Court. There is still a good deal of time and possible events the conflict with the Ashikaga's goes for a couple decades.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 6, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'll be honest, it feels more like Demon Bride was gonna finish up soon if anything.

Different manga respond to looming cancellation differently. Some start rushing towards the finish as soon as things look bad (creating an awkward situation if they don't get canned), others start creating an off-ramp just in case without committing to it until the axe is confirmed, and still others basically just put "And the adventure continues!" at the end of the last chapter which is otherwise exactly what it would have been.

It's why the ToC and sales chart can be helpful. Means cancellation is less likely to blindside you.

(Speaking of weird structure, man. PPPPPP has felt even more unanchored since the mom died. I don't have any idea where that one's going.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MonsterEnvy posted:

Takauji comes and retakes Kamakura shortly after the Hojo's take it forcing Tokiyuki to flee. After that he claims the title of Shogun and gave his followers land without support or permission from the Emperor. He claimed he was still loyal, but the Go-Daigo decided he was not trustworthy and sent Nitta Yoshisada to reclaim Kamakura and take care of Takauji and his brother. The Ashikaga's win however and start a war with Kyoto. Tokiyuki after fleeing, becomes subordinate to Go-Daigo and the Southern Court. There is still a good deal of time and possible events the conflict with the Ashikaga's goes for a couple decades.

Plus the real guy lived to be like thirty in what seems to be a pretty chaotic period so a lot of stuff to do still.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Ayashimon felt like they told the guy he was canceled halfway through the chapter he was on

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Ichigoki’s Under Control had a pretty funny first chapter followed by the most vicious and brutal beating of a dead horse i’ve ever seen. dude thought of one joke and built a series around it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dangerous Person posted:

Ayashimon felt like they told the guy he was canceled halfway through the chapter he was on

Still kinda sad about that one, not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Me too. It turned me off of getting invested in a series until it has a good backlog of chapters