Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's weird, Candy Flurry isn't on mangaplus.

edit: It was a few hours after I posted this

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

I don't think it is long for this magazine, but I think "i tell c" is slowly finding a fun dynamic and level of seriousness (or lack of) between it's characters and cases.

Oh yeah? I read the first few chapters and fell off of it cus of the creepy messaging and pretty meh premise, but if it's shaping up maybe I'll catch up.

Is Cop Dolphin still going or did it get canned?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I read the Death Note one-shot. man, that ending is a bummer. I was almost hoping that the MC spreading the money out would have been a loophole for the new rule. At least his family can get that money, that’s some small consolation. :( But also lol that this one kid singlehandedly was the basis for the Shinigami King to write a new rule for “don’t sell the loving death note jesus” cause you’d really think in the entirety of human history some one would have tried to pawn it off

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I started reading Roboco after I saw the Jujutsu parody MV and holy poo poo it's an amazingly fun manga, Jesus.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle: :suspense:

Undead Unluck: Background on Shen!

Sakamoto: Sakamoto has really been getting fun these days. Also really happy to see sniper guy sticking around and be helpful in his own way.

9 dragon balls: Had a few fun gags, but ultimately I just enjoy the characters. They're all just nice.

Witch Watch: Was up to fun magic shenanigans, exactly what I want to see it do.

Elusive Samurai: Tense.I said it last week, but this is definitely getting good.

Roboco: Was cute. Disappointed we didn't see Saiyan armor Bondo go on a date.

Magu chan: Was stupid funny. Dance off! But I'm slowly drifting away from Magu chan. It needs to come up with a better hook.

Blue box: Blue box is cute. I like the art.

Candy flurry looks fun. Such a silly premise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I started reading Roboco after I saw the Jujutsu parody MV and holy poo poo it's an amazingly fun manga, Jesus.

Definitely. I bounced off the first couple chapters, but came back after seeing it was doing well in the reader polls, and I'm glad I did.

It's very much riffing on Doraemon for the core, with other Jump references for flavor, but it does a good job putting its own spin. Having the class "bullies" be the nicest human beings imaginable was a kind of inspired decision, and the core dynamics are fleshed out enough to carry scenes even if you don't get the references.

Also, I appreciate the endless Chainsaw Man praise. Makes the characters feel more relatable.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I'd find it very enjoyable if high school family just did a turn and decided to be a manga about a middle aged man playing high school volleyball.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i like the haikyu reference, and i hope Highschool Family just sticks around forever. Its so dumb but cute. (and i like that everyone acknowledges its weird in universe)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2021

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Definitely. I bounced off the first couple chapters, but came back after seeing it was doing well in the reader polls, and I'm glad I did.

It's very much riffing on Doraemon for the core, with other Jump references for flavor, but it does a good job putting its own spin. Having the class "bullies" be the nicest human beings imaginable was a kind of inspired decision, and the core dynamics are fleshed out enough to carry scenes even if you don't get the references.

Also, I appreciate the endless Chainsaw Man praise. Makes the characters feel more relatable.

Yeah one of the things I appreciate is that everyone is whacky but they're all fundamentally good people, so the gags aren't mean-spirited in nature.

I never watched or read Doraemon and all I know is through pop culture osmosis but it's still fun regardless of that. The series had me on the very first chapter with Roboco pushing Bonda out of the way only for the truck to get utterly demolished over the course of 3 panels upon making contact with her body and it's been great ever since.

Gachi Gorilla, what a guy.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is Cop Dolphin still going or did it get canned?

Still going. It’s now doing a big backstory arc.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Last Celebration posted:

I read the Death Note one-shot. man, that ending is a bummer. I was almost hoping that the MC spreading the money out would have been a loophole for the new rule. At least his family can get that money, that’s some small consolation. :( But also lol that this one kid singlehandedly was the basis for the Shinigami King to write a new rule for “don’t sell the loving death note jesus” cause you’d really think in the entirety of human history some one would have tried to pawn it off

The story was good up until that rear end pull.

Really undercut the basis of the whole series, which was finding out ways to operate within the already fairly strict rules of the the Death Note. They could even still keep the new rule being added, but let the MC live since he did his actions before such a rule was even conceived.

But I guess there's still the whole "Death isn't fair so don't play with it" aspect.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Having the class "bullies" be the nicest human beings imaginable was a kind of inspired decision

This gag (the guys sounding like bullies for one panel before revealing in the next panel that they're actually acting benevolently) never gets old for me for some reason.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My favourite was

*snatches Manga*
Nye he he, really? I think something like this is more your speed.
*gives collectors edition of same manga*

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

This gag (the guys sounding like bullies for one panel before revealing in the next panel that they're actually acting benevolently) never gets old for me for some reason.

It helps a lot that he doesn't overuse it. It only occasionally shows up and when it does it's usually followed by them really being the best buddies a Bondo could wish for in some insane way.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

At the very least people are definitely going to suspect him after that. Guy moves faster than he should be able to, jumps over a ledge and immediately Kaiju No. 8 appears in the place where he jumped, lol.

It gives some sort of deniability, but I don't see how it would work on the people at the scene. The result might just be that the group of people aware of the secret increases by two.

Well, there was no fakeout. Everybody knows he's Monster #8 now and he's getting arrested. That was the most interesting direction to go IMO, so I'm glad he went there. Really excited to see how the story evolves now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really like Monster #8. I thought it wouldn’t last very long, but I’m glad it is selling amazingly and continues to be good.

I laughed at him thinking, at 30, he pushed himself too far for his age. His childhood friend, presumably a similar age, is like the strongest person we’ve seen.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 22, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Eden’s Zero anime is officially out now and three episodes in. Seems ok so far at least.

Out of curiosity, what is Mashima’s obsession with that little snowman? It’s been in basically every series he’s done so far.

Also I can’t tell but is NotErza (I forget her EZ counterpart’s name) still voiced by Sayaka Ohara?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I stumbled on Mashle entirely by chance after finishing the most recent MHA.

This is really good? How have I never heard of it before. :munch:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you weren't reading this thread enough

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle is a bunch of dumb fun.

Speaking of dumb fun Sakamoto is gonna fight a T-Rex in a couple of weeks

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

girl dick energy posted:

I stumbled on Mashle entirely by chance after finishing the most recent MHA.

This is really good? How have I never heard of it before. :munch:
Mashle is really fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He names his "magic" after muscle groups. I loving love this boy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle pulls more bullshit out every chapter and it’s great.
Tartar sauce

Witch watch was great. I do hope it keeps this up.

9 dragon balls was good.

Sakamoto was a bit weird. I liked it, but it felt like a stalling episode. Like what exactly did they accomplish this chapter? They gained a badass dino pic.

Candy flurry is in setup mode.

Me and roboco I didn’t like very much.

Undead unluck pretty cool actually. Good to see someone point out the weakness in undead.

Elusive samurai Holy crap that’s a memable troll face if I ever saw one

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mashle is a bunch of dumb fun.

Speaking of dumb fun Sakamoto is gonna fight a T-Rex in a couple of weeks

Getting some flashbacks to Parasite Eve. And Music Man being betrayed by his one true love cracked me up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just binged all of Mashle in two hours.

And all I have to say is...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

Mashle pulls more bullshit out every chapter and it’s great.
Tartar sauce

Witch watch was great. I do hope it keeps this up.

9 dragon balls was good.

Sakamoto was a bit weird. I liked it, but it felt like a stalling episode. Like what exactly did they accomplish this chapter? They gained a badass dino pic.

Candy flurry is in setup mode.

Me and roboco I didn’t like very much.

Undead unluck pretty cool actually. Good to see someone point out the weakness in undead.

Elusive samurai Holy crap that’s a memable troll face if I ever saw one

Agreed on all fronts. Elusive Samurai is really shaping up well, and I love how creative Undead Unluck is, and of course Mashle rules. I'm not normally into sports series but I'm enjoying 9 Dragons, the characters are fun and I really enjoy the double play moment to seal the game. I'm looking forward to more moments like that. Witch Watch is super fun and I too really hope it sticks around!

Not sure on Blue Box yet, but I really appreciate the chapter ending with characters actually talking to each other and working through problems. Also not entirely sold on Candy Flurry, but it's still super early so whatever.

Roboco was pretty meh this week. I love Roboco overall but more and more often the chapters are forgettable. Hope the author isn't running out of steam cus when it hits it hits hard. Magu Chan continues to be good though, it really has only had a few stinker chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
after it got an anime, I picked up a humble bundle that had the first few volumes of Tokyo Revengers in it and they're really great, I read the fourth volume as well and hoo boy that's a helluva volume alright. Does it stay this interesting throughout or does it turn to poo poo at a certain point? No spoilers necessary, just curious if it stays as good as those first four volumes were or not.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the acceptable scans were up to something like vol14 and i found it consistent through then, though it was either the very end of 13 or beginning of 14 that dropped a big moment i'm unsure how to feel about having not read more for it to play out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
as long as it's not something stupidly gauche and cliche as Naoto was secretly behind it all along for [REASONS]!!! I think I'd be fine with most twists. maybe.

based on the ending of volume 4 I'm also getting this feeling of Life Is Strange-esque "can't dodge fate without some exorbitant price" type situation. guess I'll see! outside of a few things like a weird couple of scenes with Emma, tokyo revengers has been really great. reminds me of Erased but marginally more lighthearted, though totally ready to sucker punch you at a moment's notice and make sure you actually see what's happening rather than imply it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Since there's no weekly manga chapters to discuss at the moment, now is as good a time as any to post our general essays about shonen manga. Here goes:

Top 10 terrible tropes in modern shonen battle manga:

What follows is a list of things I’m tired of seeing in relatively recent series (as opposed to older stuff like Dragon Ball or Fist of the North Star; those have their own annoying cliches). In no particular order:

1. “I’ve always been looking at their backs…”
The female character whose character arc revolves around her angst about not being as strong as the boys. Examples include Sakura in Naruto (toward Naruto and Sasuke) and Momo in MHA (toward Todoroki). The resolution to this is inevitably somewhat disappointing, as the (usually male) main character will almost always end up being the strongest in the end. Plus it ends up being tedious as well as sexist. It comes across as something of a Signal from Fred, with the author’s uncertainty as to how strong the character ought to be leaking into the character’s internal monologue. If you want to include strong (in a fight) female characters, just include them instead of being indecisive about it! I guess in a sense you can consider this an improvement on the older shonen approach of just not having relevant female characters, maybe?

2. “Oh no! I lightly injured my friends!” (or, the overly convenient inner demon)
Naruto and Bleach are the big offenders here. The protagonist has a powerful and allegedly evil (or as least unpredictable) entity inside him, which will occasionally take control of his body and give him a convenient powerup. This will be presented as potentially dangerous to the protagonist and/or his allies, and will result in angst when the inner demon hurts someone other than a villain, but it will always stop short of killing, or even permanently injuring, anyone on the protagonist’s side. Jujutsu Kaisen avoids this by making Sukuna a villain with his own agenda who actually kills innocent people when he gets the chance to take control.

3. Cast bloat
Almost every modern shonen battle manga suffers from this: too many characters! Inevitably this means that some characters that feel important and have a fanbase get neglected (as in MHA), and/or the plot gets bogged down with undercard fights (as in Bleach), and/or there’s too many characters for the reader to keep track of their names, powers, what factions they’re part of, whether they’re dead or alive, etc. (as in Tokyo Ghoul). Even One Piece, which tries to avoid this problem by having a clearly defined main cast that leaves each arc’s supporting cast behind as they travel to a new island, still has too many characters involved in a given arc post-time skip. Older shonen manga tended to avoid this by having very few major characters; the extreme form of this is what I call “ronin shonen,” like Dororo, where there’s really only one protagonist who actually fights and one kid sidekick. This approach had its own problems; it makes for less variety when there’s only one protagonist who fights, for example. Claymore is an interesting case study, as it starts as ronin shonen but eventually develops cast bloat.

4. Good guys take more hits
When the good guys take countless hits from the bad guys until they reach the “you can barely stand!” point, and then win the fight with one or two clean hits. One Piece is sometimes guilty of this (Luffy seems to have twice as much HP in the final fight of an arc as he does at other times), but the worst offender is Fairy Tail. It’s fine when a specific character is established as having exceptional durability or endurance, like One Piece’s Zoro, but it isn’t playing fair when it’s an advantage good guys automatically have over bad guys in climactic fights.

5. No one confirms a kill
Despite living in a world full of superhumanly durable people, no one, not even allegedly intelligent and ruthless villains, ever bothers to coup de grace an opponent they’ve just knocked out. One Piece and Bleach are the biggest offenders that come to mind (although Bleach’s Yhwach is an exception).

6. Fishbone D/Mizuki/Lord of the Coast Syndrome
Since one of the examples in the title involves the very first chapter of One Piece, you can argue how far it can really be called a modern shonen trope, but series as recent as UQ Holder have done it, and I can’t remember really old series like Jojo or Dragon Ball doing it, so I’d say it counts. This is an oddly specific phenomenon in which a first-chapter villain quickly defeats someone who will play some role later in the series (often a mentor character) but then loses to the main character. The problem is that the series will later establish that the mentor character is much stronger than the main character at this point. In other words, Shanks shouldn’t have lost his arm to the Lord of the Coast! At least in the case of Bleach, you can rationalize that the Hogyoku had already weakened Rukia before her loss to Fishbone D.

7. Last chapter romance
Romantic subplots can’t get any resolution until the very end of the manga, either to keep the shippers shipping as long as possible or just because the author doesn’t want to write romance beyond crushes. Seen in Naruto and Bleach.

8. Swordfight Sudden Stagnation Syndrome
When a fight, usually involving the main character but nevertheless not really all that important in the grand scheme of the manga’s plot, drags on and on for no apparent reason. Possibly this is a result of writer’s block. Examples include the “image” battle between Toriko and Starjun in Toriko, Luffy vs. Enel in One Piece, and the Word Devil fight in Black Clover.

9. Valleys on the main character’s graph
In Manga in Theory and Practice, Araki of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure wrote that the main character, and perhaps even the main villain, should ideally always be “rising” rather than “falling.” I don’t take this to mean that the main character should never fail at anything. It certainly can’t mean that the villain can never fail at anything! Rather, I think Araki means that the characters, especially the main character, should never fail in a way that moves the plot backwards. Subplots where the protagonist falls off the Snake Way and takes a few chapters to climb back on, loses his powers and goes through a training arc to get them back, or mopes for a while but gets pep-talked back to his usual personality instead of it leading to actual character development, should be avoided. Although Araki doesn’t single out other manga as negative exemplars, Bleach is a major violator of this rule. Arguably not purely a modern shonen problem, as Inuyasha is another notorious offender here.

10. Insert Madara Uchiha copypasta here
When the villain becomes too strong for the heroes to beat without arbitrarily handing them new powerups or similar contrivances. Bleach’s Yhwach is an even worse offender than Madara.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 2, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, seems like Chainsaw Man avoids everything that you don't like about shonen.

It even reverses the protagonist inner demon thing. Denji's inner monster is a very good boy... who kills a bunch of innocent people basically because they happened to get too close.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I saw a few posts about it here as well, so I thought I'd just comment that a new (and very long) chapter of Fight Class 3 dropped a few days ago and it continues to be insane.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Since there's no weekly manga chapters to discuss at the moment, now is as good a time as any to post our general essays about shonen manga. Here goes:

What follows is a list of things I’m tired of seeing in relatively recent series (as opposed to older stuff like Dragon Ball or Fist of the North Star; those have their own annoying cliches). In no particular order:

1. “I’ve always been looking at their backs…”
The female character whose character arc revolves around her angst about not being as strong as the boys. Examples include Sakura in Naruto (toward Naruto and Sasuke) and Momo in MHA (toward Todoroki). The resolution to this is inevitably somewhat disappointing, as the (usually male) main character will almost always end up being the strongest in the end. Plus it ends up being tedious as well as sexist. It comes across as something of a Message from Fred, with the author’s uncertainty as to how strong the character ought to be leaking into the character’s internal monologue. If you want to include strong (in a fight) female characters, just include them instead of being indecisive about it! I guess in a sense you can consider this an improvement on the older shonen approach of just not having relevant female characters, maybe?

2. “Oh no! I lightly injured my friends!” (or, the overly convenient inner demon)
Naruto and Bleach are the big offenders here. The protagonist has a powerful and allegedly evil (or as least unpredictable) entity inside him, which will occasionally take control of his body and give him a convenient powerup. This will be presented as potentially dangerous to the protagonist and/or his allies, and will result in angst when the inner demon hurts someone other than a villain, but it will always stop short of killing, or even permanently injuring, anyone on the protagonist’s side. Jujutsu Kaisen avoids this by making Sukuna a villain with his own agenda who actually kills innocent people when he gets the chance to take control.

3. Cast bloat
Almost every modern shonen battle manga suffers from this: too many characters! Inevitably this means that some characters that feel important and have a fanbase get neglected (as in MHA), and/or the plot gets bogged down with undercard fights (as in Bleach), and/or there’s too many characters for the reader to keep track of their names, powers, what factions they’re part of, whether they’re dead or alive, etc. (as in Tokyo Ghoul). Even One Piece, which tries to avoid this problem by having a clearly defined main cast that leaves each arc’s supporting cast behind as they travel to a new island, still has too many characters involved in a given arc post-time skip. Older shonen manga tended to avoid this by having very few major characters; the extreme form of this is what I call “ronin shonen,” like Dororo, where there’s really only one protagonist who actually fights and one kid sidekick. This approach had its own problems; it makes for less variety when there’s only one protagonist who fights, for example. Claymore is an interesting case study, as it starts as ronin shonen but eventually develops cast bloat.

4. Good guys take more hits
When the good guys take countless hits from the bad guys until they reach the “you can barely stand!” point, and then win the fight with one or two clean hits. One Piece is sometimes guilty of this (Luffy seems to have twice as much HP in the final fight of an arc as he does at other times), but the worst offender is Fairy Tail. It’s fine when a specific character is established as having exceptional durability or endurance, like One Piece’s Zoro, but it isn’t playing fair when it’s an advantage good guys automatically have over bad guys in climactic fights.

5. No one confirms a kill
Despite living in a world full of superhumanly durable people, no one, not even allegedly intelligent and ruthless villains, ever bothers to coup de grace an opponent they’ve just knocked out. One Piece and Bleach are the biggest offenders that come to mind (although Bleach’s Yhwach is an exception).

6. Fishbone D/Mizuki/Lord of the Coast Syndrome
Since one of the examples in the title involves the very first chapter of One Piece, you can argue how far it can really be called a modern shonen trope, but series as recent as UQ Holder have done it, and I can’t remember really old series like Jojo or Dragon Ball doing it, so I’d say it counts. This is an oddly specific phenomenon in which a first-chapter villain quickly defeats someone who will play some role later in the series (often a mentor character) but then loses to the main character. The problem is that the series will later establish that the mentor character is much stronger than the main character at this point. In other words, Shanks shouldn’t have lost his arm to the Lord of the Coast! At least in the case of Bleach, you can rationalize that the Hogyoku had already weakened Rukia before her loss to Fishbone D.

7. Last chapter romance
Romantic subplots can’t get any resolution until the very end of the manga, either to keep the shippers shipping as long as possible or just because the author doesn’t want to write romance beyond crushes. Seen in Naruto and Bleach.

8. Swordfight Sudden Stagnation Syndrome
When a fight, usually involving the main character but nevertheless not really all that important in the grand scheme of the manga’s plot, drags on and on for no apparent reason. Possibly this is a result of writer’s block. Examples include the “image” battle between Toriko and Starjun in Toriko, Luffy vs. Enel in One Piece, and the Word Devil fight in Black Clover.

9. Valleys on the main character’s graph
In Manga in Theory and Practice, Araki of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure wrote that the main character, and perhaps even the main villain, should ideally always be “rising” rather than “falling.” I don’t take this to mean that the main character should never fail at anything. It certainly can’t mean that the villain can never fail at anything! Rather, I think Araki means that the characters, especially the main character, should never fail in a way that moves the plot backwards. Subplots where the protagonist falls off the Snake Way and takes a few chapters to climb back on, loses his powers and goes through a training arc to get them back, or mopes for a while but gets pep-talked back to his usual personality instead of it leading to actual character development, should be avoided. Although Araki doesn’t single out other manga as negative exemplars, Bleach is a major violator of this rule. Arguably not purely a modern shonen problem, as Inuyasha is another notorious offender here.

10. Insert Madara Uchiha copypasta here
When the villain becomes too strong for the heroes to beat without arbitrarily handing them new powerups or similar contrivances. Bleach’s Yhwach is an even worse offender than Madara.

I agree that One Piece is a massively overrated mess.
I recently tried to read it again, but I just can’t. Art is a horrible mess. Fights drag on. Half the enemies are James Bond villains “muahhahaha, you can’t beat me because my power works like this” and the other half are beaten in a prolonged fight where Luffy ultimately wins because I don’t know. Apparently Fiary tale at least said friendship power, Bleach bullshits its way through by showing that Ichigo had all the powers all along.
Last time I couldn’t continue after Luffy again fell off the boat with Enel (that’s the lightning guy right?). This time the whole Kaido thing is just barf.
One thing I do notice though is that a lot of examples or from older series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah One Piece rules

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I agree that One Piece is a massively overrated mess.
I recently tried to read it again, but I just can’t. Art is a horrible mess. Fights drag on. Half the enemies are James Bond villains “muahhahaha, you can’t beat me because my power works like this” and the other half are beaten in a prolonged fight where Luffy ultimately wins because I don’t know. Apparently Fiary tale at least said friendship power, Bleach bullshits its way through by showing that Ichigo had all the powers all along.
Last time I couldn’t continue after Luffy again fell off the boat with Enel (that’s the lightning guy right?). This time the whole Kaido thing is just barf.
One thing I do notice though is that a lot of examples or from older series.

I don't think One Piece is that bad (it's definitely better than Bleach or Fairy Tail, at least), but I do agree that it's overrated, or was until quite recently.

I guess a lot of my examples are from "older series" in the sense of series that have already ended, but I did nevertheless try to stick to relatively recent series, as opposed to things like Dragon Ball or the first few parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. "I'm only using 10% of my full power!" is an example of a trope I didn't include, because Bleach is the only recent series I can think of that uses it in its pure form. (Naruto has a lot of power-up modes, but there's usually some actual tactical reason for characters not using them immediately, such as conserving chakra, waiting for the optimal moment to launch a surprise attack, or the power-up permanently damaging the user's body. In Bleach and Dragon Ball everyone just holds back all the time out of arrogance, laziness, "honor," etc.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No One Piece is actually that good. It's not flawless, but it's unarguably one of the best shounen series.....ever. And the fact a lot of people can seriously debate if the current arc is the best, nearly 25 years after the series started, speaks to a level that a handful of series of managed to reach. Again, ever.

Doesn't mean anyone has to like it of course. But it is that good, and if you think it's not you are flat out wrong.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the fact that recent arcs have all devolved into some battle clusterfuck like what's currently happening in Wano just saps my enjoyment of the series and it's hard to keep much enthusiasm for the thing as a whole.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mulva posted:

No One Piece is actually that good. It's not flawless, but it's unarguably one of the best shounen series.....ever. And the fact a lot of people can seriously debate if the current arc is the best, nearly 25 years after the series started, speaks to a level that a handful of series of managed to reach. Again, ever.

Doesn't mean anyone has to like it of course. But it is that good, and if you think it's not you are flat out wrong.

people will debate "if the current arc is the best" in literally anything. I have no strong opinions on One Piece but popularity is absolutely not an indicator of quality

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

By and large none of these are really exclusive to modern shonen manga, or manga in general. I am at a loss for older examples of #6 though. Like even Master Rosshi was skilled but constantly stated and showed that he wasn't much for the new generation of fighters, especially when Tien showed up. His claims to fame were blowing up a mountain, shoving a cucumber into a rice cooker, and cosplaying. Most of these other observations can be explained with the assumption that writers don't usually plan their serializations beyond a certain introductory point so things like obscenely powerful antagonists, drawn out battles, side characters (not exclusively female) suddenly realizing they are irrelevant but never really changing that status by the end of the story, etc happen often enough.

I would however nitpick some points like Claymore and Cast bloat. We get a bunch of new warriors after the siege of the north and the timeskip. But the story puts them all into perspective and gives them good amounts of screentime and development as a group. So I don't really consider that bloat the same way MHA has a cast split between 2 full hero classrooms, over 20 professional heroes, and various recurring villain factions and groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
One Piece is good, actually, but has three super big defects.

1. It's been going on for, like, forever.

Almost a quarter century at this point! Sooner or later, people will lose interest. Heck, I've been following it since the beginning and nowadays I just skim the most recent chapters, to get a general idea of what they're doing. This also results in some fans coming in who have no idea what the relationships between characters are: I know for a fact that there's some people reading One Piece who don't know, like, how Luffy met Zoro. Or when some character, like Smoker, shows up in a panel, they have no idea who that character is.

Now, I'm not going to gatekeep any fandom: fans can come in at any point. But in my opinion the fact that Oda is trying to tell a single, cohesive story, and yet some readers have no idea of the "whole thing," speaks volumes.

2. Cast bloat, and as a consequence lots of character go out of focus for quite some time.

Like, when's the last time Usopp did something significant, that affects the overall plot? Chopper? Franky? Zoro? Nami? They're just being swept along by the plot, having basically little if any agency of their own. It doesn't help that Oda keeps introducing new characters: please, solve some character arcs, before starting new ones. I beg you.

Which brings me to the final point.

3. There are, like, a million plot points in the air, which barely get addressed.

And if they do, they get resolved years later, after everyone has forgotten those plot even existed. And, again, Oda keeps adding plot points, without solving the previous ones. It's becoming really difficult to follow the overall arcing plot beyond "This is the current Bad Guy, go punch them."

It doesn't help that every time Oda tries to do a Big Battle Scene, it turns out super chaotic. Every chapter you have one page, two at most, detailing how part of a fight is going, before switching POV and going to check out something else. As a result, it's extremely fragmented and hard to follow.

I love One Piece a whole lot, and it's a good manga, but it's absolutely far from perfect.