Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Electric Phantasm posted:

It was only Naruto that did that and it was like the only good part of the Kaguya fight.

Also Boruto just had this happen recently in the anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjwJedRBZOE

Cmon naruto, can't your clones poo poo for you? Shameful hokage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

It’s also why I’m eyeing Witch Watch with suspicion. So far it’s been pretty standard and just a fun little adventure with the lamest magic ever. But It just feels like it’s going to go Bleach on us any minute now.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting vibes of Witch Watch going full shonen at any point, and it'll be disappointing when it does.

Meanwhile, I dunno what I had expectedout of Ayakashi Triangle, but it's barely a romantic comedy, and Matsuri is only bothered by being turned into a woman because they think that girls can't be with girls, not that they seemingly mind being one, so it seems like a wasted angle. It's managed to stay pretty light hearted, though

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only one who seems to care is Suzu and she needs to get over it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Naruto literally had a scene in the final battle where Naruto and Sasuke turned into hot naked guys and gave the evil alien goddess a nosebleed

One Piece literally had this scene not like six chapters ago were the three main fighters got into a game of chicken to see who would flinch from a fireball in the face first that looked like this

I knew someone was going to bring up the one moment in a full war arc that was funny.

Like I said, I have limited experience. I'm just going off of what I read which involved an endless fight against Crocodile, an endless dull fight against Enel (though I did love the whole "why can't I hurt you!" angle, really refreshing to have a big scary and powerful villain be completely powerless against the main), and a part of the Kaido fight.

Silver2195 posted:

I think "the current slaughter" in Twin Star Exorcists is the second-to-last arc of the manga anyway. As it is, the introduction of the new Basaras is a something of a contrivance to keep the story going.

Twin Star Exorcists is also suffering from a bad case of cast bloat, incidentally. It's almost all guys I don't remember vs. guys who were just introduced now. Even the wiki isn't doing a great job of keeping track of everyone.

It doesn't help that the fights are somehow simultaneously too simple and too complex. Basically just energy blast vs. energy blast, but with a lot of obfuscating technobabble, as far as I can tell.

I binged twin stars 2 months ago so I don't have that problem. However, the cast felt pretty bloated at certain points, but it seems like every time there's cast bloat the Basara attack and the cast is culled. Like now, I'd be disappointed if some of the big guns don't die or are removed from combat/story due to missing limbs.
I don't think the Mangaka does a good job of portraying the flow of combat most of the time which is why I only recently started reading it. I remember seeing it on Jaiminisbox originally, tried it and bounced off hard due to the hard to follow art. But I recently opened it again and saw a slaughter so I figured I'd give it another try. It's been an interesting read.

I Am Fowl posted:

Cmon naruto, can't your clones poo poo for you? Shameful hokage.
Since Naruto can learn from a clone going poof, does that mean a clone that eats can feed Naruto?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chumbler posted:

The only one who seems to care is Suzu and she needs to get over it.

I think she only cares because she thinks Matsuri cares about it. She seems like she's still attracted to them regardless of gender.

It's such a non-angle. The only reason anyone cares about returning Matsuri to normal is because they think they should care, not because Matsuri cares about being a guy or that it negatively affects them or any of Matsuri's relationships with their friends and family. They're all fine with it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Saying that's the "one moment that was funny" is just a lie.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Darth TNT posted:

I knew someone was going to bring up the one moment in a full war arc that was funny.

Like I said, I have limited experience. I'm just going off of what I read which involved an endless fight against Crocodile, an endless dull fight against Enel (though I did love the whole "why can't I hurt you!" angle, really refreshing to have a big scary and powerful villain be completely powerless against the main), and a part of the Kaido fight.
I think a lot of OP fights go overlong but Oda is very committed to keeping gags all over the place all the time for the vast proportion of most arcs. You read three of the ten or so long fights in the manga (the others being Don Krieg, Arlong, Lucci, Oz (a less serious fight in general), Hody, Doflamingo, Katakuri), so yeah you got fights. But all ten of those fights combined probably take up less than 10% of the manga, the rest is so gag-heavy readers can't even parse it all.

The most serious arcs in the manga are imo all pre-timeskip (Arlong Park, Saobody, Marineford).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 4, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

The fight against Crocodile, the fight against Enel and the fight against Kaido are all final climaxes of huge 100+ chapters long arcs full of jokes and general goofiness, so saying that OP is humorless because those specific parts have just one or two jokes is extremely weird take.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth TNT posted:

Almost every chapter has gag moments like that though. Maybe don't talk about things you haven't read like you're an authority on it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd get it if they were talking about naruto but one piece? you'd have to have not read it at all to think that's the only joke oda makes in this fight

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

The fight against Crocodile, the fight against Enel and the fight against Kaido are all final climaxes of huge 100+ chapters long arcs full of jokes and general goofiness, so saying that OP is humorless because those specific parts have just one or two jokes is extremely weird take.
:shrug: I don't know. Maybe I just didn't find One Piece funny enough to remember. I'll cross out the part about one piece in my original post.

Julias posted:

Almost every chapter has gag moments like that though. Maybe don't talk about things you haven't read like you're an authority on it.

Are we talking about Naruto? Because the quote you quoted is regarding Naruto. Which I read. Recently even thanks to the re-edition on Mangaplus.
As opposed to One Piece, which I didn't read much and admitted to?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh, I think everyone jumped to OP because the post you were replying to had a picture for it but only text for Naruto so it stood out more. And that arc (the current arc) could also be described as a war arc. If you'd said ninja war arc or even final arc people would have known what you meant. Honest mistakes all around.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 4, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth TNT posted:

:shrug: I don't know. Maybe I just didn't find One Piece funny enough to remember. I'll cross out the part about one piece in my original post.

Are we talking about Naruto? Because the quote you quoted is regarding Naruto. Which I read. Recently even thanks to the re-edition on Mangaplus.
As opposed to One Piece, which I didn't read much and admitted to?

My apologies, yes I thought your post was refering to One Piece's most recent arc and the picture that was being quoted in your post, especially since you followed it up talking about one piece.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Julias posted:

My apologies, yes I thought your post was refering to One Piece's most recent arc and the picture that was being quoted in your post, especially since you followed it up talking about one piece.

No worries I understand. It does look a little confusing, when I wrote it I thought the line break would be enough. But looking back with a fresh mind I could’ve made it clearer.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth TNT posted:

Since Naruto can learn from a clone going poof, does that mean a clone that eats can feed Naruto?

Naruto and his clones quickly become like unto a plague of locusts and strip the countryside bare.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like Elusive Samurai is letting the author go a little more wild than he was able to with Assassination Classroom (and with more experience and obviously pre-existing popularity than he had when he did Neuro).

Like you could see some of the weirder stuff from Neuro pop up in Assassination Classroom, but it was obviously tuned down a bunch. This new series seems to allow itself more violence and a less immediately "digestable" premise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
neuro was great because it was, despite the name, absolutely not a detective manga. it was also incredibly dark! no one really knew what to do with it, including the studio that animated it. despite the premise which seemed specifically designed to make parents mad, assclass was much more conventional. i'm not sure what elusive is even about yet. it probably isn't really about what it has been thus far.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There's something really surreal about reading old threads for serialized media more than a few years back. For example, the original Naruto manga thread (from back during the Sasuke Retrieval arc in 2004): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=878054

Probably the thing that strikes me most about it is how sexist, homophobic, and generally tasteless people were on SA back then. But it's interesting to see what people were speculating would happen, which characters they liked and disliked, etc. Several people had fairly accurate predictions of Itachi's true motivations. There's a fair amount of argument about whether Choji and Neji were really dead, whether the Fourth Hokage is Naruto's father, and power levels. What's really interesting is the impression I get that ADTRW posters then generally didn't understand things about shonen manga conventions, quirks of the Japanese language, etc. that seem to be common knowledge here today. For example, Dragon Ball is pretty much the only other anime/manga mentioned as a point of comparison, and no one seems to know about Jump taking Golden Week off.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

There's something really surreal about reading old threads for serialized media more than a few years back. For example, the original Naruto manga thread (from back during the Sasuke Retrieval arc in 2004): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=878054

Probably the thing that strikes me most about it is how sexist, homophobic, and generally tasteless people were on SA back then. But it's interesting to see what people were speculating would happen, which characters they liked and disliked, etc. Several people had fairly accurate predictions of Itachi's true motivations. There's a fair amount of argument about whether Choji and Neji were really dead, whether the Fourth Hokage is Naruto's father, and power levels. What's really interesting is the impression I get that ADTRW posters then generally didn't understand things about shonen manga conventions, quirks of the Japanese language, etc. that seem to be common knowledge here today. For example, Dragon Ball is pretty much the only other anime/manga mentioned as a point of comparison, and no one seems to know about Jump taking Golden Week off.

TBF calling Sasuke an "emo-(f-slur)" was all over the Internet back then

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
2004 predates onemanga and easy to find scanlations, so that’s not terribly surprising. Around that time you likely found stuff from xdcc bots on irc, and Dragon Ball was much more recent; I think the anime dub had only finished around a year before that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

TBF calling Sasuke an "emo-(f-slur)" was all over the Internet back then

Yeah, I should clarify that it wasn't exclusively an SA thing; that was how a lot of Internet culture was back then. Which doesn't really excuse it, of course.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, I should clarify that it wasn't exclusively an SA thing; that was how a lot of Internet culture was back then. Which doesn't really excuse it, of course.

Yeah you're right. Speaking of which the trend of emo-bashing really messed me up as a kid. It was like "IF YOURE SAD YOURE A PUSSY LOL"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

2004 predates onemanga and easy to find scanlations, so that’s not terribly surprising. Around that time you likely found stuff from xdcc bots on irc, and Dragon Ball was much more recent; I think the anime dub had only finished around a year before that.

To be fair, on page 63 someone alludes to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Though as this is 8 years before the Jojo TV anime, many of the other posters are completely baffled by this ("What is this 'Stand' you speak of?"). Another poster explains that Stands are "Something like the Alters in Scryed."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Roboco: i wondered how long it was going to take mom to start referencing Ayakashi Triangle.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Roboco is so good lol

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Witch Watch: Breaks the record for words in a chapter while not being exposition. I enjoyed it though. It was pretty sweet.

Elusive Samurai: I guess this is setup for the next arc? The end made me laugh though.

Sakamoto: Awesome

Roboco: Was really funny again. And I'm not sure if Ayakashi Triangle is safe Bondo. :ohdear: Nice how subtle the Blue Box thing was.

Mashle: Cool chapter, not very funny though. I'm a little disappointed even after the hilarious use of tartar sauce last chapter.

Undead unluck: Shen look so happy while being perforated :ohdear:

Magu chan: I get this feeling that Magu doesn't know what it wants to do anymore.

Candy Flurry: The whole candy theme gets a bit tiring after the original novelty. I do like this new character though.

9 Dragon balls: Them going after the "average" guy in the background is just perfect. :allears: And apparently the Mangaka received some points because now he actually gives background on some of the numbers and terms he throwing out there. I don't know the first thing about Baseball, so that's very welcome.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

9 Dragon balls: Them going after the "average" guy in the background is just perfect. :allears: And apparently the Mangaka received some points because now he actually gives background on some of the numbers and terms he throwing out there. I don't know the first thing about Baseball, so that's very welcome.

As a baseball super fan being able to follow a new baseball manga from the beginning is fun, and so far there hasn't been anything to really complain about! Its doing a great job. The notes have all been pretty accurate!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Witch Watch was incredibly funny this week. The contrast between the teacher's monologue and the way she actually blurted out stuff in dialogue was just perfect.

Sakamoto was also really fun and good.

Didn't care for Elusive Samurai, outside of the splash spage that visualized Takauji's charisma as some kind of eldritch horror.

Candy Flurry seems like a shonen so far. Too early to judge it.

I don't think anyone on these forums is reading them anymore, but Blue Box is aggressively okay and I expect it to get cancelled, while i Tell C is inexplicable in how long it's running considering that its gimmick wore out early, but at least by focusing on imaginary number crime divisions and phantom thieves it feels divorced enough from real life that I don't feel dirty reading it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I love Blue Box.

It's cute. And the characters are fun

Although sometimes it feels like it's speed running the tropes in such a way I wonder where it goes. But it always can focus more on the sports to escape that I suppose.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaPlusENG/status/1391756959293005832?s=19

Sui Ishida, the creator of Tokyo Ghoul, has a new series. Apparently the schedule will be irregular, so don't expect regular updates.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Blue Box is early enough I'm still reading it, though honestly I'm not really sold on it yet. I Tell C I have totally dropped though.

Magu-chan really isn't great at being Shonen, I dunno why it's trying to be one. I hope it's not headed for cancelation and thus trying to wrap up the story, it's perfectly fine just being a warm fuzzy slice of life.

Roboco was great, I love it riffing on jump. I hope to God it gets animated so we get riffs on popular anime.

Definitely enjoying Nine Dragons, though I had to look up what some of the terms meant. Why is it a good thing for batters to have 4 or more pitches per at bat, wouldn't you want less??

Elusive Samurai was good for what is obviously a setup chapter. Some cool fight stuff - I loved the panel of the heads getting cut off, and the villain just bopping the attacks away before catching the sword with his pinky. Big Mashle vibes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Pitching is hard, so it’s bad for the pitcher if they have to throw a lot of pitches. Batting in comparison is easy (or rather, batters do a lot less batting than pitchers do pitching). If you watch a pro baseball game, they will often point out the number of pitches thrown by the current pitcher, under the expectation that the pitcher will be relieved by somebody else once they’ve thrown a lot of pitches.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Definitely enjoying Nine Dragons, though I had to look up what some of the terms meant. Why is it a good thing for batters to have 4 or more pitches per at bat, wouldn't you want less??

So a number of reasons.

1. Seeing alot of pitches means you have good vision and aren't swinging at bad pitches. Which means when when you swing you are usually swinging at a pitch that can actually be hit solidly.

2. It means you likely draw a ton of walks, which is a free base.

3. Like was stated above. Pitchers generally have an limited for lack of a better term stamina meter for their arm. If you make them constantly throw pitches, fouling balls off, not swinging at bad pitches etc etc, you eat into their pitch count. Which means they won't last in the game as long, as they lose velocity and movement on their pitches(or if they get kept in they start to get blown the gently caress up). Which means you go to the Bullpen sooner, who tend to be weaker, or more accurately more specialized pitchers than the starters. Who aren't intended to see a team more than once around an order(hell in some cases you have relievers who are only there to face like one or two types of batters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPWNmtK-SJA

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
There is also like a very easy to understand numerical marker for the pitch count: In the modern game starting pitchers usually throw between 90-120 pitches in a given start, so seeing more pitches lets you get to that limit faster. Non-workhorse starters almost always get taken out at around 100 pitches. For pitchers the average number of pitches per inning is around 15 and they are usually gone by the 6th or 7th inning. Most teams have 2-3 reliable relief pitchers, and then some guys who are really hit or miss. If you get the pitcher out in the 5th inning, you get more shots at those weak guys.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
That all makes sense! I was just thinking about things in terms of "you wanna hit the ball!" and didn't consider all the other factors. Guess this is why I'm not getting scouted by plucky high schoolers trying to build a dream team!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Julias posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaPlusENG/status/1391756959293005832?s=19

Sui Ishida, the creator of Tokyo Ghoul, has a new series. Apparently the schedule will be irregular, so don't expect regular updates.

I just read the first chapter and it felt like reading a fever dream and not in a good way.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I just read the first chapter and it felt like reading a fever dream and not in a good way.

Doesn't that describe a lot of Tokyo Ghoul? There's a lot of confusing scenes where it's not clear if something is actually happening, if the viewpoint character is hallucinating it, or if it's some kind of metaphor.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not sure what about it really qualifies as fever dream (negative). it felt very standard to me, but with excellent art and some cool paneling that was sadly wasted on my phone. setting details like the skyline being wrecked in multiple places by obviously different choujin powers was cool as well.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It looks like some pages were missing when I first read it, which explains why things seemed to just be happening with no setup or reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I kept expecting something to happen to give it a twist but it ended up going completely as expected.