Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

coathat posted:

Tetsugaku Letra just got pick up by an non-lovely group and they released the first 4 chapters. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/tetsugaku-letra-r5557

It's loving great to get some more Sahara Mizu manga.

I really like this, wow.

But why does everyone have hosed up goblin ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's anyone's guess as to why she draws ears like that.

Kiruko got the ax this week apparently. Althhou it sad to see her go it gives me hope for Cross Manage holding out for a while longer since there have been so many series ending lately.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Do other people here read Sports manga? Baby Steps, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Last Inning are 3 of my favorite ongoing series right now but nobody ever talks about them. Maybe I should make a Sports Manga megathread.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I read a ton of sports manga, baseball mangas especially are great if you want some "burning spirit". If you're following the 3 series you mentioned you'll probably also like Daiya no A and Buyuden if you're not already reading them.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I hated all shonen sports series and went on a long spree of not reading them due to the abomination that is Prince of Tennis. Goddamn, that manga.

So I've been missing on plenty of shonen sports series. What do you recommend? I'd prefer if it wasn't baseball.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ZerodotJander posted:

Do other people here read Sports manga? Baby Steps, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Last Inning are 3 of my favorite ongoing series right now but nobody ever talks about them. Maybe I should make a Sports Manga megathread.

I've been enjoying Kuroko no Basket.

It hits the sweet spot that early Prince of Tennis hit.

Between DBZ The Last Half of Prince of Tennis and being grounded in reality.

Though seriously I don't know how if like standard fighting shonen, how you could hate Prince of Tennis.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 16, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eyeshield 21. Good jokes, wonderful art (Murata!), consistent character development. Has a pretty lovely final arc and a bit of awkward racism against black people.

Also, Adachi Mitsuru has like a dozen different completed sports manga, mostly baseball.

Edit: I hate PoT because of how insufferably smug the main character is. I don't get angry easily, but that prick really pisses me off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eyeshield 21. Good jokes, wonderful art (Murata!), consistent character development. Has a pretty lovely final arc and a bit of awkward racism against black people.

As a Black person I am perfectly ok with them portraying me as better than every one else.

And it wasn't like Panther was even dumb or anything. He was pretty smart and well adjusted.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edit: I hate PoT because of how insufferably smug the main character is. I don't get angry easily, but that prick really pisses me off.

It's great. the Author literally has no reservations about how stupidly powerful the main character is.

He's the son of the greatest Japanese tennis player ever. He's going to be cocky.

Plus Everyone in that series besides was insufferably smug. At least Ryoma didn't start every match making the crowd chant his name.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Eyeshield was boring, read Slam Dunk instead, Cross Manage is pretty cool too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

toanoradian posted:

I hated all shonen sports series and went on a long spree of not reading them due to the abomination that is Prince of Tennis. Goddamn, that manga.

So I've been missing on plenty of shonen sports series. What do you recommend? I'd prefer if it wasn't baseball.

Prince of Tennis is less about sports and more about, I dunno, fujoshi-oriented Fist of the North Star fought with rackets.

Anyway.

Slam Dunk is pretty much the golden standard for sports manga. As you can guess it's about basketball. It's pretty much a perfectly done story except for the ending, which many people thought was disappointing or abrupt (it wasn't). It's an amazing manga and if you only ever read one sports manga, make it Slam Dunk.

Adachi Mitsuru's manga are really good too (Touch is generally considered the best, with H2 following), but they're about baseball so I dunno if you'd like 'em.

Eyeshield 21 (American football) was the closest thing Jump ever got to repeat of Slam Dunk's popularity with sports, but unlike Slam Dunk which ended exactly as the creator intended, ES21 sort of overstayed its welcome and many people believe that the WSJ editorial department forced the story to continue until its popularity dropped enough to cancel it. Still a great manga, if a little more fantastic than the previous recommendations. It's notable for its art, which thanks to artist Murata Yuusuke's dedication and effort started out okay and then went on to be amazing. Also notable for never taking a single break over the entirety of its 300+ chapter, ~7 year run.

Kuroko no Basuke is another basketball manga, though this one is closer to the Prince of Tennis "The way I dunked the ball was so cool it literally started the ice age that drove the mammoths extinct" sort of fantastic overreactions. I haven't read it myself so I can't comment beyond that but it's still running and very popular, especially with female readers.

Initial D! (racing) is also pretty good, but its art style is an acquired taste. I'm not sure if you'd include racing as a sports manga or if you're looking for more conventional -ball sports, though.

Hajime no Ippo (boxing) is one of the greats, though over the course of its extremely long run readers have rightly begun criticizing mangaka Morikawa George for recycling his plots, pushing characters the audience doesn't like to the point of absurdity, and basically being lazy and coasting on the series' established popularity. Still, when it was good, it was really really good.

Drawing a blank on others right now, may edit the post later when more come to mind.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 17, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aww, no mentions for Yowamaushi Pedal? It's about cycling, I posted links to it a couple times before. Still, it seems like it'd be up your alley, it's got plenty of ~shonen friendship~ and HOTBLOODED COURAGE :kamina:!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't really care about sports, so sports manga which are crammed completely full of nothing but detailed depictions of playing a sport bore me to tears. Slam Dunk literally put me to sleep.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Sports manga I am reading right now is Giant Killing and Chihayafuru.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I liked Prince of Tennis at the start, but by around its final year the matches are just so unlikeable (the 'comedy' doubles and the clone/copy/mimic Fuji match) and that final match had a lousy end. Then there's the baffling New Prince of Tennis.

Weird how the only sports manga I bother read up on is the one that makes me hate sports manga in the first place.

AnonSpore posted:

Slam Dunk, Adachi Mitsuru's manga, Eyeshield 21, Kuroko no Basuke, Hajime no Ippo

Out of all of those, the only one I haven't read is Kuroko no Basuke. I'll try that out. Thanks!

DrSunshine posted:

Aww, no mentions for Yowamushi Pedal?

Pretty much the only reason I want to get back to reading shonen sports, honestly. All that enthusiasm and ~improbable developments~ except without the smugness.

psyer posted:

Sports manga I am reading right now is Giant Killing and Chihayafuru.

Oooh, soccer. I'll give Giant Killing a try. Thanks!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

AnonSpore posted:

Hajime no Ippo (boxing) is one of the greats, though over the course of its extremely long run readers have rightly begun criticizing mangaka Morikawa George for recycling his plots, pushing characters the audience doesn't like to the point of absurdity, and basically being lazy and coasting on the series' established popularity. Still, when it was good, it was really really good.

Drawing a blank on others right now, may edit the post later when more come to mind.

Don't start reading Ippo. Read RRR instead.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Ippo is pretty loving awesome. It will never hit the highs of Takamura vs Hawk again. But It's still an awesome manga for the most part. Even better when you can blitz through chapters rather than reading one at a time.

AnonSpore posted:

Eyeshield 21 (American football) was the closest thing Jump ever got to repeat of Slam Dunk's popularity with sports, but unlike Slam Dunk which ended exactly as the creator intended, ES21 sort of overstayed its welcome and many people believe that the WSJ editorial department forced the story to continue until its popularity dropped enough to cancel it. Still a great manga, if a little more fantastic than the previous recommendations. It's notable for its art, which thanks to artist Murata Yuusuke's dedication and effort started out okay and then went on to be amazing. Also notable for never taking a single break over the entirety of its 300+ chapter, ~7 year run.

Kuroko no Basuke is another basketball manga, though this one is closer to the Prince of Tennis "The way I dunked the ball was so cool it literally started the ice age that drove the mammoths extinct" sort of fantastic I haven't read it myself so I can't comment beyond that but it's still running and very popular, especially with female readers.

Not to bash Eyeshield, as it is my favorite sports manga probably in my top 5 of all shonen, but Eyeshield is comically more over the top than Kuroko. It's closer to Prince of Tennis than any other manga on this list.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

Ippo is pretty loving awesome. It will never hit the highs of Takamura vs Hawk again. But It's still an awesome manga for the most part. Even better when you can blitz through chapters rather than reading one at a time.

Not to bash Eyeshield, as it is my favorite sports manga probably in my top 5 of all shonen, but Eyeshield is comically more over the top than Kuroko. It's closer to Prince of Tennis than any other manga on this list.

In Eyeshield 21, they refer to the speed of light as the maximum speed a human can run at. Sort of silly, but they don't pretend anyone is really moving at light speed. If it was PoT, it would literally refer to the speed of light.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

In Eyeshield 21, they refer to the speed of light as the maximum speed a human can run at. Sort of silly, but they don't pretend anyone is really moving at light speed. If it was PoT, it would literally refer to the speed of light.

Technically in Prince of Tennis they don't do that. Even when the ball turns into electricity or something stupid like that it's still just a tennis ball.

The 3 things that really pushed PoT over the edge was, Kikumaru playing doubles by himself(jesus christ that was retarded), SOSA stage 1 and 3(2 could reasonably be explained away), and the KamehamehaHadokyuu

Also 4.2 is the maximum speed that those silly Nippon can run. The weightless run of a black man can hit 4.1 :smug:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I've updated the OP a little, and added Witch Craft Works and Nanatsu no Taizai.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

Seconding.

Also, if you can mentally squint past all the baseball and pretend it's just the story of a hot-blooded teacher helping out a class of delinquents with great, super-expressive art, Rookies is a lot of fun.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

SpazmasterX posted:

I've updated the OP a little, and added Witch Craft Works and Nanatsu no Taizai.

I hope people are reading Nanatsu no Taizai because it's one of the funnest series I look forward to reading every week. For the unaware, it's by the creator of Kongou Banchou, which is absurd and great.

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
If you like racing read Capeta.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

I hope people are reading Nanatsu no Taizai because it's one of the funnest series I look forward to reading every week. For the unaware, it's by the creator of Kongou Banchou, which is absurd and great.

The title page of the latest chapter was kinda gang-rapey, though.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

The title page of the latest chapter was kinda gang-rapey, though.
I just chalk it up to the author doing what he has to appease the masses unfortunately... The story has been a blast so far and I find myself looking forward to it each week just as much as the other big shounen titles. I especially love how crazy all of the armor designs have been.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watch the Ippo anime, imagine that the whole thing was canceled after that, and then read RRR.

This is the best way to go about it.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 37!

OK, kinda dragging a bit. I do like how headbutting things seems to be Usami's go-to course of action, though.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There's a new chapter of It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular! In this here chapter, a gamer turns her life into games.

Couldn't find The Onion article exactly about this same system, -10 points.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

There's a new chapter of It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular! In this here chapter, a gamer turns her life into games.

Couldn't find The Onion article exactly about this same system, -10 points.

Read the chapter quickly hoping to post it with a witty way of saying "new chapter", only to find someone else had done it earlier, -50 points. :smith:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In case anybody remembers it, there's a new chapter of Ratman, after like forever! http://www.mangareader.net/ratman/47

I admit, I had to read a couple chapters back.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There's a new chapter of Sket-Dan in which a kid is programmed mentally. Sick stuff.

However, the more important new chapters are these two, which starts the How Switch Joins Sket-Dan arc. I don't have a joke for this; if you're a Sket-Dan fan, start getting hyped.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Nanatsu no Taizai 29 is out.

Well we know what Melodias did in the past to earn his "sin". I imagine that his broken sword somehow seals that part of himself which is why he vows to never let go of it. Also, I honestly did not see the demon in Ban's gaiden chapter to make a comeback. It seemed pretty important due to being sealed away in an ancient war.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think it was the same demon. The whole demon clan was sealed away so it's probably a different one.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

I don't think it was the same demon. The whole demon clan was sealed away so it's probably a different one.
I think it is, just because it's all scarred and stitched back together. Just check out the similarities between these two:
Ban's fight and the one Hendrick has. This is still shaping up to be really interesting though.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 38!

More smoochin, more headbutts.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Kiruko went through her toughest enemies in the new two chapters. In Chapter 21: Greeting Phantom she fought people unable to distinguish professional colleagues with romantic partners. In Chapter 22: Decisive Battle! she fought a helicopter.

The fact that the main guy keeps acting like a lecherous lowlife is interesting, but I can't like the guy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Again!! 39

My, three chapters in the same week. Nice to see VI giving this some love at last.

I love the way Hiro immediately jumps to abusing the Again!! for fun and profit. Every time a fictional character gets their hands on a time machine and fails to break the world in half I die a little inside. :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Seven Deadly Sins, Chapter 30

That cover looks like a reference to Gurren Lagann! I can definitely see the influence in terms of the "feel" of the comic.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hah, so the Holy Knights are like the Grey Wardens? With all the drinking of demonic blood and the chance of dying by doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Seven Deadly Sins, Chapter 30

That cover looks like a reference to Gurren Lagann! I can definitely see the influence in terms of the "feel" of the comic.
Haha, I love Prince's fat-slob reaction faces and whenever he gets ignored trying to do stuff with Diane.