Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not sad for Medaka Box, but for Kiruko. I genuinely enjoyed the daily adventures of that naive but stupidly strong rookie cop! :unsmith:

Seems like I have a habit of enjoying WSJ manga that get canceled! I loved Oumagadoki Zoo, too.

Oumagadoki was the best and I was tremendously sad to see it go. Barrage was a lot of fun too, I'm afraid that mangaka is doomed to never last in Jump. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thanks for posting that! Somehow I never read the last two chapters of Kiruko's first run. It's good to have her back.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

pandaK posted:

There's a new comic called Iron Knight out. It doesn't really feel like it's trying to go for any gimmicky wow factor, but I feel like it may be a contender for part of the next big three.

Hot drat. Thanks for linking this. Did you check out the One Shot version too? That got real dark. It definitely seems like it'll be worth following for a while, I want to see where it goes from there.

EDIT: Or at least see how long it goes until he finds the human resistance holed up trying to preserve their old lives... in High School.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/iron-knight/2

Well, that was disappointing. I wasn't going to jump down its throat for being worse than the one shot after only the first chapter, but the direction its heading doesn't seem to resemble it at all.

Dang. I thought it was going okay, if a bit over-marketable (SJ, I know), but the end was a bit much. "This rabbit sticks out like a sore thumb," indeed. Does the kid grow bigger when he Iron Knights, or is the rabbit just tiny? The perspective on that was weird.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

Yeah, so I know I'm a few years behind and there's probably a thread for this somewhere, but I started reading Katekyo Hitman Reborn! a few years ago while I was in college. It was like mid-Future arc when I stopped because I have trouble keeping up with things that aren't finished and sort of put it to the back of my mind.

I found myself thinking about it recently and wanted to find out how it ended, so I went on a reading spree for the past few days and finished it earlier today. And now I miss it. I really enjoyed the characters.

The characters were fun, but that ending was just god awful. You're still as terrible as you were in chapter 1 Tsuna, despite all that happened, but at least you have friends now to help you try and not be quite as much of a gently caress-up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well I'm sorry but the glass is half-empty on this one.

Regardless the fact remains if anyone else did that (which is to say submit chicken scratchings, then constantly go on hiatus) they would be fired on the spot (as is right and proper) and it's distressing seeing good manga cut in their prime (Double Arts, MxO, the one about the Zoo that fought other zoos I can't mind the name of) whilst Togashi gets a free ride and the person who did Double Arts is now 100+ chapters into a half baked Orange Road rip-off (-psychics, pretend to + Mobsters but not really) that, by all rights, shouldn't have mustered 50.
Oumagadoki Zoo. :cry: I loved that series. He even got a second shot with Barrage, but it got canceled too. I wonder what he's up to these days.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That is such a shame. I heard similar things about it back when it started but I love Sengoku Basara so much that I always want to try it out whenever I see it listed. Thanks for shoving that curiosity back down, I don't want to ruin the good memories.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Reborn is great as long as you stop after the Varia arc. I read it to the end and while there are cool bits scattered throughout mostly it just gets convoluted and dumb and has the worst non-ending to a shounen I've ever read.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I figure it's topical enough.

I've been struck by the desire to experience Fist of the North Star. Other than some clips over the years, I've never read or seen any of it. What's the best way to go about this? This is the manga thread so I figure the answer will be 'manga,' but I'm nonetheless curious. I did some reading and it seems like the movie is abridged and entirely different while the anime is less so but it still changes some things around; is there filler too, or is it still over-all good and faithful? Or no, stick with the manga?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

I get the feeling that The Promised Neverland, if it makes it past the escape and becomes a long runner, will end up as something that would have worked better as a short story focused just on the escape.

I don't know. It's possible, but personally with the twists and surprises this series has managed so far, I'm most interested in how they'll execute the escape but still quite interesting in finding out what's out in the world beyond the walls.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, he did Iron Knight? I totally forgot about that series and never noticed it was cancelled, but I remember enjoying it. The guy is a great artist, so I hope he manages to succeed with something someday.

Agreed, I didn't realize he was the Iron Knight guy. That series had some fantastic art and designs.

Seconding Jose, hope this guy finds his MHA soon. Even though I'm still bitter that Oumagadoki was canceled, that series was wonderful.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

The second chapter of Demon's Plan reveals that there's going to be a Highlander-style battle among 108 otherwise-immortal demons (including Boro and Carlos) with the winner getting their wish granted. I guess the idea is that to be selected by the Demon's Plan in the first place, you have to want whatever you wish for badly enough to be willing throw away immortality for a chance at it. Though if Boro and Carlos are the last two standing, I suppose nothing would stop them from just staying immortal instead of killing each other. Or maybe it will end with Boro being the last survivor and using his wish to bring Carlos back to life, assuming the manga doesn't get cancelled first.

This went in a somewhat different direction than I expected from the first chapter, but it's still not super-promising.

Well, after they got super powers at the end of the first chapter there was no way this wasn't going to be a Battle Manga, it was just a question of how they were going to do it. But I didn't expect the Hunger Games either.

I gotta wait til Monday to find out how the execution is though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Does anyone know if Beet The Vandel Buster has started up again? I remember reading articles saying it was supposed to come back in Jump Square this year, but I can't find any confirmation as to whether or not that happened.

I ask since I recently found out Beet was written by my favorite Tokusatsu writer Riku Sanjo, so I became interested in reading his other works. But I also know that Beet went on hiatus ten years ago so I don't want to get invested if I know it'll Hunter X Hunter me at the end.

In the meantime I picked up the first volume of Dai's Big Adventure, which was apparently him too and I hear some good things about.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's kind of a shame, the guys on the Shonen Jump Podcast were kind of pulling for it like it was gonna be the next Bleach or something.

How's Spring Weapon doing? That one seemed really funny from the first three chapters they published.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

Dai's Big Adventure is Really loving Good. Officially it's Dragon Quest, but I find that it's rather a Dragon Quest Tokusatsu in manga form.

Well poo poo, I was already sold on it based on the author but now I'm hyped.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba seems fine. Never at the bottom, and always hanging around. Sometimes even pops up near the top. Anyways, rankings give a decent idea on the health of a series. Red Sprite started low, stayed low, and now it's dead. Basically if it's consistently near the bottom, especially if it's a new series, it probably won't last long. This has been true for all the other canceled new series too.

Good to hear about Yaiba. I never picked it up after the Jump Start, but it seemed promising and MS' Authors Comments had them saying "Thanks for the support" last week or so which I'd come to associate with the end of a series.

EDIT: Speaking of which I just read this week's and Oda went to lunch with Shimabukuro and Kishimoto. I guess they just weren't close but Oda completely ignoring Bleach's end while celebrating Naruto and Toriko is endlessly funny to me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hopeford posted:

Promised Neverland is surprisingly good. It's not like there's a singular "Whoa" moment, but every two chapters or so has a slightly unexpected way to develop the plot and combined with the super tense premise it's more than enough to keep my attention. It's the kind of thing that I can't say if it will turn out good or not since it's so early on, but it's keeping a VERY good atmosphere of suspense. I look forward to it every week and yeah, it's just pretty fun. Kinda of thing that I hesitate to recommend to people because of how this kind of series can turn out great or terrible depending on how the plot turns, but so far it's doing a great job at keeping me interested in everything.

Due to being busy and generally lazy it's been a long time since I've sought out and read any scanned manga on my own. Because of that, I'm so drat thankful that WSJ both ran The Promised Neverland and added it to the line-up because it's one that I would never have found and followed on my own but love as a series and look forward to ever week. It's got an interesting world full of potential and some drat smart and spry kids that fill the children-plotting-against-their-parent-figure-sized AssClass hole in my week.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yuuna-san probably sticks around to fill the "that manga" slot when Food Wars can't.

I enjoyed what I read of Demon's Plan (haven't read past the Jump Start three chapters) and hope it finds its footing. Amalgam I can take or leave since its first three chapters didn't have a good enough hook for me.

Spring Weapon on the other hand was really funny in its first three chapters so I hope it can find a way to survive.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

A manga by the Eyeshield 21 guy? I don't know the artist but sign me the gently caress up.

Same goes for the Beelzebub one. The rest, we'll see.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Pewdiepie posted:

The artist, Boichi, is extremely skilled at drawing Titties and rear end.

Well Eyeshield 21 had Murata who was skilled at drawing Everything, but I guess just the essentials is fine too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

booksnake posted:

The translated title, We Never Learn, has a better thematic resonance with the main characters' refusal to give up

Yeah, I saw that name on Jump's Facebook and immediately approved. We Can't Study is the literal translation sure, but We Never Learn has layers and is much catchier.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

If you were going to buy Jump this week for U19 I wouldn't bother.

The thing reads as someone's Pill Popping nightmare vision of Japan's nonsense (The P4 Kanji stuff, specifically) steeped in with the current US Political landscape and is about as subtle about it as I'm making it out to be.

FFS They have the bad guys running around with Nazi Armbands and would be a less obvious analogy if they screamed out "DOLF IS JUSTICE!" every panel.

I haven't read U19 yet, but I did buy the issue because this week's MHA and OP were so loving good I had to have them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

Huh. I could've sworn it was longer. I thought it was out before Black Clover, but Wikipedia says May 2015.

Did someone think it would not be a good idea to have this compete with Welcome to the Ballroom?

Wait, are there two different manga about Ballroom dancing running right now? Or were, rather, since Straighten Up just ended.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Allarion posted:

Yuuragi-sou no Yuuna fills the ecchi niche, while We Never Learn is probably more aligned with Nisekoi, especially since the mangaka did a Nisekoi spinoff for a while.

Yuuragi is hilariously shameless. Soma can get bad with the fanservice, drat, this ones on another level. I had no idea Yuuragi was even a thing until I got to Japan and flipped through a new Jump and there were just pages and spreads of blatant tits and rear end. Does anyone actually read it and know if the story/characters or any good, or is it just there to show off its, uh, art assets?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Alder posted:

I'd seen the dub quite a lot from my childhood :sigh:

I'll go with anime since I read they handle the ending better and time to complete that dream of seeing beyond the Dark Tournament after over a decade.

I will never forgive Cartoon Network for banishing the last episodes to the ungodly hours of the morning.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Alder posted:

gdt they completed the season?! Also I thought they aired the late night anime because it wasn't for kids...

They didn't put it in the morning line up for kids. When I say morning, I mean they were playing it at like 5:30 AM. I love YYH, but nothing is worth getting up that early. I tried for a few weeks, but it just wasn't happening, especially since I was up late during those days. A quick google search revealed that this was apparently back in like 2005, and I am pretty sure there was zero advertising for it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat, really? The first three chapters of Ole Golazo were great, Bamba used his own name as a sound effect. :( No idea where it went after that so maybe it deserved it, but it still feels like a shame.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Seems like the love interests all have nicknames with a fairy tale theme.

Science girl with glasses - "Thumbelina"
Literature girl with long hair - "Sleeping Beauty"
Swimming girl with tanned skin - "Little Mermaid"

That leaves slots for "Cinderella", "Rapunzel", "Snow White", "Little Red Riding Hood" and "Beauty" (of Beauty and the Beast).
Is We Never Learn being translated online still? I rarely venture outside of MangaStream these days but I would definitely like to continue reading it if it doesn't get picked up by the English Jump. I didn't know there was a third girl!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

One of the six series (Dr. Stone, We Never Learn, Hungry Marie, Robot, Poro, U19) is gonna start running in the English Jump next week too.

Yeah, but only one. :( And as much as I liked Hungry Marie and We Never Learn, and Poro too, if they only pick up one it better be Dr. Stone.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'd rather have Hungry Marie but I don't really have strong positive opinions about any of them. I haven't read any of Robot or We Never Learn tho
Dr stone is ok I guess

None of these really enthuse me like, I don't know, the first chapter of The Promised Neverland, which to be sure is a high standard.

As a Beelzebub fan Marie is definitely my #2, We Never Learn was a strong #3 due to cute character designs and an absence of generic feel-good romcom in the magazine since Nisekoi left. But Stone is my #1 for sure, it's interesting and entertaining enough and having the writer of Eyeshield 21 gives it more than enough faith from me.

I will agree that Neverland had the most killer first chapter though, and it deserved to be picked up immediately by the magazine based on how absurdly good and interesting it was. The new six don't quite match that, but I think a lot of them have potential.

I would have liked them to keep Spring Weapon #1 too, though. The magazine could use a gag manga and the first chapters were pretty funny. It's still going too, unlike the other Jump starts from that time (Amalgam, Demon's Plan, ect) so I wish they'd kept it back when it ran.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man that looks cool as hell and I hope it gets added to the line up next week.

Also my computer background is that big spread Horikoshi drew of all the Jump heroes from way back and man it is crazy to look at it now since like 3/4 of the series' represented are over or got canceled quickly.

Phone posting or I'd post the image for reference.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Two more series were added to English Jump: We Never Learn and Robot x Laserbeam.

I am very happy to have these two, but I also really want to read Hungry Marie in there too.

also Poro but between the five it is the one I am most willing to let go of. Give me all the manga, WSJ, but also thank you for giving me more manga already

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm enjoying We Never Learn. It's not deep or innovative or anything like that, it's just nice.

I like it a lot too! Even if the latest chapters have been playing into the fanservice/tropes a little harder than it did early on, it's consistently charming and fun to read and the characters are cute as heck.

Rizu in particular.

"Rizu, are you alright? You've been staring at Yuiga for a while."
-Blank stare panel.- "...Who has?!"
"You!"

I don't know why but that scene really got me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

According to the latest Author Comments, Samon-kun got the axe as well. Shame, but at least it lasted considerably longer than Plan, Love Rush, Red Sprite, U19, ect.

Please be safe, Marie and Spring Weapon. I will read you one day.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't know how well it was doing, I never paid attention to its placement in the ratings, but it had a minor presence at Winter ComiKet and its volumes were placed in visible spots for a long time at Animate so I thought it was doing well enough. I only flipped through a handful of recent chapters and it looked like it was doing some more serious/higher stakes arcs, so I guess I may have been skimming its endgame without knowing it.

Is it being scanned/read by anyone in the thread? I'd be interested to know if it ended abruptly like Bleach or escalated and ended somewhat naturally? Or alternately went apeshit and made the most of its last chapters ala Toriko?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Has anyone ever read Law of Ueki? Is it any good? I keep seeing it in stores and am curious about it, but can't find much in the way of reviews or impressions, so I figured I'd ask here before checking it out.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'll admit the 'weird powers' angle is definitely the driving force behind my interest. The wikipedia article on it told me nothing about the plot other than it being about Superpower Tournament Battles, but the only thing I've ever known about the series that's stuck with me is that the main guy makes trees out of garbage and I want to know how that works. Is it strategic tree growing, are they Kurama/Usopp style random anime-trees with their own powers, is he made of trees, I just gotta know. I'm sure I'll sit down and read/watch it one day.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, for some unknown reason it got a very faithful anime adaption. nothing skipped, nothing rushed, okay-ish animation quality. that pretty much never happens for shounen manga.

Oh drat, like start-to-finish faithfully adapted, the whole series? That's great to know, thanks! That is like finding a unicorn, and I like quality anime adaptations more than I like unicorns.

RatHat posted:

Other notable ones in the series:

Towels into Iron
Marbles into Bombs
Tomatoes into Lava
Sound into Drawings
ect
The last one is a little less impressive since JoJo's had Sound into Dinosaurs already, but up until that point it was like that Expanding Brain meme and I am rightly sold.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Double post, but the newest We Never Learn was painfully cute. I really do like these dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

How's We Never Learn doing in Jump ratings-wise? They just introduced a new character, and it seems it's heading the Nisekoi way, which seems like a ratings stunt and would be a shame because thus far it hadn't gone full harem.

I hope it's doing well, I haven't compared its place in the magazine. Losing it has been among the worst parts of having to discontinue my WSJ subscription, it's such a cute series and the scans are so slow. I miss my weekly antics, Ogata is stupid cute.