Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

It’s also why I’m eyeing Witch Watch with suspicion. So far it’s been pretty standard and just a fun little adventure with the lamest magic ever. But It just feels like it’s going to go Bleach on us any minute now.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting vibes of Witch Watch going full shonen at any point, and it'll be disappointing when it does.

Meanwhile, I dunno what I had expectedout of Ayakashi Triangle, but it's barely a romantic comedy, and Matsuri is only bothered by being turned into a woman because they think that girls can't be with girls, not that they seemingly mind being one, so it seems like a wasted angle. It's managed to stay pretty light hearted, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

chumbler posted:

The only one who seems to care is Suzu and she needs to get over it.

I think she only cares because she thinks Matsuri cares about it. She seems like she's still attracted to them regardless of gender.

It's such a non-angle. The only reason anyone cares about returning Matsuri to normal is because they think they should care, not because Matsuri cares about being a guy or that it negatively affects them or any of Matsuri's relationships with their friends and family. They're all fine with it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mikl posted:

In case anyone's interested, Ayakashi Triangle is still a thinly veiled excuse for Yabuki to draw some T&A. I'm still reading it weekly because :effort: and it had some interesting ideas at first, but I seriously wonder how long it will last (I've checked the WSJ rankings and it's regularly hovering around 10-11-12 or thereabouts, not at the bottom but always below the middle).

e. And also for the record it has some really bizarre ideas about gender and sexuality. In case anyone's interested I might do a brief effortpost explaining why it's bizarre.

Go right ahead. I'm still reading AT for the same reason you are, but it's not particularly good, and the premise doesn't mean much other than for T&A purposes

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I think that the only reason that the series has stuck with the whole "only boys can be with girls" thing because there's otherwise no reason for Matsuri to change back (and thus no overarching goal for the series). Shirogane's the closest thing the series has to a big bad but is powerless, Matsuri's fine being a girl, all the people he knew before the transformation are fine with him being a girl, he's made more friends since becoming a girl, and he's closer with Suzu than ever before. He's literally in a better place than before it happened, and there's no other reason for him to have the goal to change back than some backwards thinking

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Dexo posted:

Shrug. The Author has good humor and fun art.

They'll likely get another shot at a series.

Like only I remember Oumagadoki Zoo, and then Horoshiki goes on to create MHA after that gets cancelled.

I'm really interested to see what the Phantom Seer and the Candy Flurry author come up with next.

Because both of those series show the Author is real good. They just need to find the right hook.

Which is hard, but I like their chances.

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a case of a mangaka coming back to a failed series after hitting it big with their next work?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Witch Watch is just behind Sakamoto Days for best new series in Jump for me

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mikl posted:

There's a manga similar to this which I really like: Tsuyokute New Saga.

The premise is basically that The Hero, Kail, finally defeats The Demon King, but at great cost: all of his friends and allies are dead, and the whole continent has been devastated by the war against the demons; Kail himself is dying of his wounds. Exploring the Demon King's castle after the battle, Kail finds a suspicious-looking gemstone, and grabs it.

This immediately transports Kail's consciousness several years in the past, when the demon war hadn't started yet; Kail then proceeds to use the knowledge he'd acquired to try and avoid the Bad End he'd been subjected to.

It's fun.

Yeah, this has been pretty sweet so far.

I do like that so far Kail is willing to get dirty to prevent the Bad End from happening; I've read up until he killed the King to prevent him from sending more assassins after his daughter. Also, it seems like he'd be more than okay with his childhood buddy dying

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I read Ayakashi Triangle as well, but there's not really much to discuss. The art's nice to look at, but otherwise it's pretty basic and I forget most of it by the time I'm done reading the rest of the series I follow.

It's a shame, I really like the premise, but instead of doing anything interesting with it, it's just an excuse for more fan service

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Sindai posted:

"Awesome! Now, time to rip off his head! :keke:" Elusive Samurai is really good.

:hmmyes:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The author should have teased this earlier, and got the plot on faster.
Im assuming were going to spend some time with these characters so why did bonker's backstory have to take up an entire chapter of precious startup time when there were no real hooks at that point except a quick tease of the plot to come and large muscular ladies.

Yeah, this feels like too little, too late. I like Red Hood, but a chapter like that is not a good sign.

quote:

Sakamoto Days

Im a real sucker for seeing artists improve in real time and hot drat if this manga didnt get a glow-up. Its not just the art thats improved its the flow of the art and of the dialogue.
Really neat to see

That last page is exactly why I got into anime and manga in the first place. It's so loving good.

Witch Watch and Blue Box were nice and wholesome, as always, as was Kubo.

PPPPPP is still really bad

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Like father like son, Boruto the manga is also doing a great job at treating its women and girls.

Yikes, that's unfortunate.

I don't like Boruto overall, but the movie was pretty solid, and did the "overworked former protagonist neglecting his son" plot way better than Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which came out around the same time

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Kinda meh week to me, with one exception. Felt like most of what I read were setup chapters that didn't really do a lot for me.

Witch Watch - not really feeling this Student Council storyline. Last chapter really felt like an one-shot, but it seems like it's going to be a storyline going forward.
Ayakashi Triangle - on one hand, good, Matsuri and Suzu admit their feelings towards each other. On the other hand, they found the most contrived reason for why Matsuri doesn't want to date her, and roll with it (although good on Suzu for not putting up with it). I really feel this chapter embodies a lot of why I find AT frustrating at times, it stumbles into something interesting, but then actively fights against itself back to mediocrity

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mikl posted:

My feelings exactly. "I'm a girl now so I'm not really me, me dating you means you would be cheating on me with... me. So let's wait until I turn back into a guy."

What the christ, Matsuri.

Yeah, it's a bad reason, and it pissed me off.

Darth TNT posted:

Because others were talking about it I checked out Ayakashi again. Anything good this manga tries to do is pretty obviously accidental and generally immediately weakened by some cheap suggestive stuff. Like hell, she just confessed her love and then we get close ups of her mouth munching down on some long thick ...sweet potato. And I don't mind suggestive stuff, at all. I read Eden's Zero. But it's so...in the way of things. (for me at least)

Yeah, you hit on a great point here. Eden's Zero is full of fan service too, but it doesn't feel nearly as awkward as it does in AT. It probably helps that EZ can still tell a story with fan service in the background, while AT is focused on fan service, and the story is secondary.

quote:

But this rejection is the weirdest poo poo. I mean I think it makes sense that he's suddenly more aware that he's a girl now. A guy who ostensibly identifies as a hetero, is suddenly a girl and is suddenly aware that he's in love with a girl sounds like something that would be confusing and thus he wouldn't immediately jump at a relationship or at best start cautiously. But then just make that the reason. None of these weird other excuses. Ayakashi succesfully reminded me why I don't want to read it.

Your reason would have been a great idea, and would have came off much better than the actual excuse. There hasn't really been any real dysphoria or motivation for Matsuri to become a guy otherwise; his only given reason up until now for why he wants to become a guy again (and it only took him a few dozen chapters to come out and say it) is that he thought he couldn't be with Suzu as a girl, and in the meantime Suzu's still been into him despite the transformation. She doesn't care, so now they gotta come up with another reason for they're not together, and it just feels unnatural

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Oh, what a fantastic start, I am hooked already

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I can't really explain clearly why Ayakashi Triangle's handling of Matsuri puts me off so much whenever I go back to look at it. Yuri-bait is whatever but even at its most heartfelt it still gives off this impression of "lol, girls hooking up with eachother is a funny joke and not something that can really happen!"

I think the crux of the problem with AT (other than the horny) is that the writing is fighting against itself. My read is that the story is naturally steering Matsuri into staying as a woman, but then the manga-ka and/or SJ editorial remembers, "oh yeah, Matsuri is supposed to want to be a guy again," and introduces some dumb reason for why Matsuri would want to change back: "oh, uh, Suzu would only be with me as a guy, so I have to change back. Wait, she wants to be with me now? poo poo, uh, well, I won't date her until I become a guy again! Yeah!" It's contrived and forced, because Matsuri's only stated reasons for changing back revolve around Suzu, and she doesn't care at all what form Matsuri has.

There's no outside impetus to force it, either. There's no scenes of dysphoria, Matsuri's friends and family are okay with the transformation, Suzu's family doesn't care about her dating a girl (her brother is a supportive wingman!), it's only affected Matsuri's school life positively... the only being who cares is Shirogane, who transformed Matsuri in the first place... and he's a bad guy! The reason why he did it was because he hated romance (girls can't be with girls!), so the whole point of the manga should be to spite him! Ugh.

Anyways, onto some actually good manga.

Witch Watch: Solid, if very conventional chapter. Guess we're getting a fight next chapter

Sakamoto Days: Great, great chapter. It's setting up for what promises to be a cool as hell fight, and we have to wait a couple of weeks for it? Okay, fine, but I don't have to like it!

Blue Box: Continues to be a cute, enjoyable read. It's been going a little slow for the past few chapters, but I'm okay with it.

PPPPPP: This still isn't what I would consider to be "good," but it is getting better.

Doron Dororon: Not sure how I feel about this yet, but Ginchiyo looks to be a fun character.

Ayashimon: Still enjoying this a lot, and I'm glad we're getting more worldbuilding.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
The added slapstick will be more girls kissing and fondling other girls

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I really hated the reveal that Yuno actually is royalty because it just reinforced the classism that the story previously seemed like it was against.

That's just a reoccurring theme in Jump, isn't it? Premise argues against _____, turns out to be, no, we've been secretly _____ all along

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Old man is my favorite character now. nobody comes close to this level of excitement and anticipation.

Yeah, it's such a great scene that's all goofy, cool, and terrifying. I'm really hoping they nail the landing when he finally does make his entrance.

Someone in the comments of the SJ page suggested that the old man might be Sakamoto's dad, which I hope isn't the case

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I'm really hoping the reason the rear end in a top hat expelled Akane's dad and five others from Rakugo isn't some toxic poo poo about how he cared about them and thought they'd do better with a life outside of Rakugo. It's still too early to see how this shakes out, but Akane being upset at others congratulating her dad for getting a "real job" is a hopeful sign that this won't end with her having to understand the rear end in a top hat's point of view.

Yeah, agreed. Even if Akane's dad and the others ended up in a better place financially (and for all we know, he might have been the only one to be successful afterwards), he still had something precious maliciously taken from him, and Akane is right to be upset for him.

I'm really enjoying this series so far. There's a whole lot of promise.

quote:

It's well-meaning, but ultimately bad. It reduced someone's personal journey into a bunch of gags, and culminates with a rape-y visual of the pick-up artist holding them down and forcing it upon them. Not to mention the ending's focus is about how the pick-up artist is cool for doing this.

I think I can forgive it for the gags considering it's a gag manga, but otherwise, yeah. It's cool that he doesn't care about what's in her pants, but dude's still a creep

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mikl posted:

At this point, I read it only by inertia and because it's there on the website.

This accounts for like 80% of the webcomics I read, and several Jump manga

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
It's still getting an anime, right? If this was a sign it was cancelled and ending soon, seems like a weird time to do it.

Not that there's any ongoing storyline to wrap up, the series could tie everything up in a chapter if they wanted to

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kyte posted:

She'd realized that for a while now, it's just Matsuri is a nerd that is still taking her early words seriously so she insists on turning back into a boy before they date even when Suzu's said it's 100% fine.

I assume Suzu'll turn up the heat now that Yabuki's free.

Yeah, this chapter was more about Suzu realizing that Matsuri turning into a girl was a good thing for the both of them, while kinda officially wrapping up the early plot point of the series of Suzu dealing with figuring out she's bi

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Please do. :allears:

New Manga:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013160

I think it's interesting and oddly progressive in a way.

Oh, that was a great first chapter. Very interested to see where it goes

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Okay, MARRIAGETOXIN is off to a great start. I'm really enjoying it so far

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I read it through the app and was exposed to reader's comments which were... surprisingly okay and mostly consisted of 'JUST MARRY ALREADY YOU TWO'.

I mean, they're right

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Mulva posted:

Listen, he can try.

:hmmyes:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Dexo posted:

Yeah Blue box works as like a semi realistic take on it, like people have mostly human realistic reactions to poo poo.

Yeah, it's something I do appreciate about it. There was a scene early on where Taiki took a bath after Chinatsu and there's a moment where he's making a big deal about it in his head before going "no wait, that's weird," and stopping. That's an easy gag most manga would have made a big scene out of and BB didn't

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Am I the only person who read Super Smartphone and had a problem with the main character being nicknamed Q and dealing with children going missing? It lowkey bothered me; afaik, QAnon wasn't huge in Japan, but it did have a few believers there

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As someone who's not American I never think of Qanon and i'm assuming most people in Japan are the same. So I think you might be reading too much into it.

Probably, it's more than likely

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Every time i see a new chapter of Ranger Reject and read the words "Bailong Exams", i die a little inside

please just end

Yeah, it's been dragging a lot, and it's slowly killing my interest in the series

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Thought you guys were talking about a different Ranger manga https://mangadex.org/chapter/d820e285-aaff-439f-849b-e05c3649001b/1 and I was wondering why opinions on it had soured so much.

Nah, that manga's great.

And I will say that the latest chapter of Ranger Reject was the best in a long while

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

amigolupus posted:

The real question in Earthchild is when will Kareri's parents bring up the fact that some adult married and got their underage daughter pregnant.

You already know the answer to this

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Chiming in on how great the latest chapter of Sakamoto Days is. If this ever gets an anime adaptation it better get all the money, because I'll be upset if that fight ends up looking like poo poo.

Also, cute chapter of Witch Watch. That look on Morihito's face was so dumb, it was perfect

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Apparently, like me a lot of people hated her face. She did grow on me over time though. But character interactions are easily Doron's strong point. It's like Candy Flurry done right.

I didn't really get enough of her to have an opinion, tbh. It felt she was meant to be developed out over time, but whoops she disappears and that's that I guess.

quote:

I'm fairly certain Shugo is about to die. And I won't miss it. It had some good gags, but it's just not good.

I agree, the last chapter feels like it was meant to set up a final arc, or at least allow the creator to end things properly if it get canned.

Jerkface posted:

Really sad about Ayashimon. The art was great and I really liked all the weird yokai characters, and Maruo was a fun protag :(

Same :(

All these newer series on the verge of possible death and meanwhile PPPPPP is still chugging along

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I read some of it when I was a teen. All I remember is that it was extremely horny (I feel like the protagonist was a creep, but it's been a while) and all the spells were names of metal bands.

Oh yeah, he's definitely a creep

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

How about a list of justly canceled: Ghost writer manga? I tell C? Cop and Dolphin? Shugomaru?

I'd throw Build King in that list for sure

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Jose posted:

sakamoto is great

My favorite panel of the chapter

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Important news:

They announced the Uron Mirage anime.

It seems the fans and the studio did kinda keep at it.

Finally

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Ruri Dragon chapter 2 was a bit disappointing. This chapter was basically a training arc, without much of the first chapter’s sense of humor.

Also, feels like the mention of her healing quickly might be for setting up for a possible battle manga turn in the future

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Earthchild - this might be the first chapter I actually liked, so hopefully we're done with this series after next week.

Witch Watch - I like the teacher/student chapters, but they feel so disconnected from the rest of the series that it might as well be its own manga.

Sakamoto Days - I feel Sakamoto has shown more emotion disguised as his wife than he has the entire series.

Ruridragon - continues to be cute.

Aliens Area - continues to be boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I'm starting to suspect Sakamoto enjoys presenting as a woman