Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, I'm intrigued how the present connects to the past now. Wonder when we'll jump back to the present again.

Meanwhile, chapter 9 of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
PSI Kusuo Saiki 8.5 wherein we learn the uselessness of psychic powers, other than exploding terrible people.

edit: Just realized this should go in the absurd daily life thread.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 19, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So Akira Toriyama's new manga, Jaco the Galactic Patrolman just popped up. Seems interesting.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I typically use All Mangas reader, but it has its issues especially if it crashes and you lose your manga list. Any manga reader site with account bookmarks works fine just as well though, like Kissmanga. Mangaupdates.com is actually pretty useful to know about the various scanlation groups working on manga, and will list everything since it's not a manga reader site, so it's nice to have a reading list on.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
A whole volume's worth of chapters for Again, starting from Chapter 53.

Man, I feel like I've seen protagonist baseball teams lose more than actually getting a win in shonen, and they never go to Koshien.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Finally read Iron Knight to see what all the fuss was about. The change from one-shot to serialized wasn't that unexpected though. One-shots tend to give more leeway in what the writer wants to do and try out, as well as possibly having an ending. Now that it's serialized, and there's an editor overseeing it, there's bound to be changes in order to make it more marketable to a wider audience.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's something always entertaining about a Dark Lord and his minions when they're involved in non-typical plots. Curious to see what it's building up toward.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm starting to think than Sagara it is the Demon Lord and the idea of him being a mangaka is the plot for the actual manga (a Buzz Lightyear sort of thing). Mainly because on one of the sequeneces with the editor we saw a blonde guy instead of him

Personally, I thought that Sagara and the Demon Lord switched places since there is something to those dreams he had, but your idea is equally plausible at the moment. Regardless, I'm hoping for some solid character growth for our main character, as well as being intrigued about what happens to the former "main" character, since at present, it seems the cast's development growth as people are dependent on Sagara growing better as a writer and person, which I just find to be an interesting concept if the story follows through on that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So with Beelzebub ending there are 3 new series replacing it (Hachi and Koi no Cupid also ended, but those never got scanlated/nobody read those so who knows if they were good or not).

Also everything I'm linking is from the Japanese Jump online store chapter preview, so look at it if you want to look at pretty pictures or practice your Japanese.

So our new series are:

Stealth Symphony from the team of Narita Ryougo, author of Baccano and Durara, and being drawn by Amano Youichi, dealing with with various fantasy races coexisting in Kamibo town, which is pretty par for the course with Narita so it should hopefully be interesting. It's premiering next week internationally in Shonen Jump Alpha so check it out there.

Illegal Rare from Hiroshi Shiibashi, author of Nurarihyon no Mago, which is being described as fantasy black market crime action, and from skimming through the chapter, looks like the dealings of our hero group lead by a vampire vs the illegal trafficking of fantasy people like mermaids, so it sounds like a fun premise. I actually liked Nurarihyon no Mago so hopefully this gets picked up somewhere.

And lastly, i Shoujo, which looks to be your typical romcom with lots of fanservice, so probably not worth your time. The plot premise sounds a lot like Video Girl Ai though if I parsed it correctly. No preview chapter so probably dodged a bullet there. What little I've seen makes it look pretty terrible.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 21, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Illegal Rare is out. Seems pretty cool.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nondevor posted:

Getting stabbed by music measures really hurts, you know!

On a more general note for this chapter, I'm surprised that the characters are shocked by Kamine's conducting; the way they were acting, it was like they had never seen anyone conduct with guiding gestures.

If your conductor's not a novice/terrible, then "realistic conducting" like the one displayed is the norm. Immersion ruined, that must be why they kept failing 5 years in a row. :colbert:

Well last time they saw him, he was a complete novice. That or his "realistic conducting" is almost like telepathy in that they understand him completely.

Also, Illegal Rare 2 is out.

Didn't quite like this chapter this as much as the first one, but that's almost a given as he sets up his world more.

Additionally, Lasboss x Hero 11 is out, where we get to see a little of the other antagonist who's been hinted at.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

HenryEx posted:

Can anyone tell me what the gently caress's going on with Tokyo Ghoul? :psyduck:

The three most recent chapters. No, i didn't cut any out. Take note of the upload date, too.

ninjaedit: Apparently it's supposed to be seinen? Eh, the question still stands.

I don't read it, but if I were to guess is that 2 other random scanlators decided to upload later chapters for whatever reason. The weird part is you'd assume they would skip to the latest chapter which is around volume 10, but yeah due to the nature of scanlation, sometimes groups will skip chapters, or work backwards, etc. The usual main group working on Tokyo Ghoul is Twisted Hel though.

EDIT: Also new Illegal Rare 3. Stealth Symphony is also around unofficially now though I'm not sure whether I should link that considering all the other licensed manga that gets linked.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 14, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

jackofarcades posted:

Even shounen protagonists who can read people's hearts can't figure out when a girl's romantically interested.

Well Saiki from PSI Saiki Kasuo can, but he also kind of hates everyone regardless. Shame that manga is too wordy or full of puns that no one wants to translate it, it seems to be a pretty funny manga. He's even in that newest Jump Vs. game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It'll probably be Soul Catcher(s) unfortunately, but then again Soul Catcher(s) isn't at the complete bottom consistently like Iron Knight was since it jumped to rank 5 a couple weeks ago so it'll hopefully last. Course it's hard to tell since the translation for Soul Catcher(s) is about 20 chapters behind the current chapter so they could be in their last arc for all we know. Stealth Symphony is still too new to be ranked properly and Illegal Rare just got ranked at 11/14 so it's starting out pretty low too. Of course, low ranking series can stick around for a while if their volumes sell really well, a prime example being To-Love-Ru which only ended due to the author's divorce problems.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

This is what I meant. Dood's a layabout and given the field of Japanese Comic writing I find that deplorable.

Oh don't get me wrong, I get the field of Japanese Comic writing is deplorable as is with it's 2 hour sleep work schedules (That number is probably not accurate) but Togashi's own work ethic is outright disgusting and the fact that that he continues to have a free ride makes WSJ a joke.

Well he does do some work as an editor for other manga, so he's not completely just wasting time presumably. Togashii's lenient contract only came about due to Yuu Yuu Hakusho's rushed ending, and probably came up again once he was basically submitting scribbles for the weekly magazine. It's possible he's basically using his lenient time to do batches. Course, if you're feeling pessimistic about it, he could also be just resting on his and his wife's laurels since all their manga series were super successful.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I find both repetitive, especially the anime due to filler padding. Manga doesn't have the padding, but the arcs themselves still generally go through the same motions over and over again from what I remember.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nate RFB posted:

I can't think of a single redeeming factor for Eureka Seven AO, at least. It was pretty bad.

Its music was decent. Not as good as its predecessor's soundtrack but there were some decent tracks in there. Eureka Seven AO was just terrible all around though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Saiki Chapter 12

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
14 Days was already a sequel to GTO, so this one would probably follow after that. Really need to pick up the volumes for that sometime since the scanlator stopped when it got licensed, and it only fully translated last year. That and Shonan Junai Gumi I really want to finish sometime. I think Shonan Junai Gumi finished, though Tokyopop shutting down kind of slowed that down.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Stealth Symphony 10.

Mermaid vs Dragon :black101:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yamada and the Seven Witchs 109.

This newest witch seems fun.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also a new Saiki where we learn his one weakness.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New Stealth Symphony. Interesting variation on the Midas Touch there. It hasn't been doing well in the rankings for a while, so I worry about it. Admittedly it's not the greatest manga, but I still think it's interesting enough to become good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Huh you're right. Releases have been inconsistent so occasionally scans have come out a week before-hand like One Piece, Naruto, etc. Still not sure whether linking Stealth Symphony is ok or not considering a lot of the other manga are also licensed, but I'll stop.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

Well this can't be good. :ohdear:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

EDIT: Additionally 2 more chapters of Soul Catcher(s) got translated.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 29, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's nice to see that Narita keeps up his usual trend of having a morally grey cast in Stealth Symphony, even if it did start off pretty standard shonen at the beginning. That assassin was as good as his word. Wish the manga had more time to build up its cast more, since I always liked Baccano and Durarara for building up a fairly varied cast of characters, but it seems Stealth Symphony is rushing towards its ending.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Stealth Symphony ended as well as it could. Other than Illegal Rare, all the new series ended, and Soul Catcher(s) got bumped off into Jump Next sadly, so Shonen Jump has another new set of manga.

Boku no Hero Academia officially started last week actually and seems pretty rad, given it's from the creator of Barrage and Oumagadoki Zoo. Click the link if you can read moonspeak, but I recommend skimming through it since DETROIT SMASH! Premise should be fairly obvious though, kid wants to be a superhero, but has no powers, and everyone around him has powers. Hopefully someone picks it up.

The other two manga haven't offically launched yet, though Mitsukubi Condor starts this week, and Yoakemono starts next week. Mitsukubi Condor basically stars your usual idiot protagonist, this time he's a thief, presumably stealing magical treasure and artifacts from assholes. Also probably has some dark demons in his past par the norm, so your usual shonen manga and can go either way of being good or boring.

I didn't figure out much info about Yoakemono other than it's from the creator of Enma Gavel, and it's starring these dudes who are Shinsengumi.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It wouldn't be too surprising given his last few series didn't last long either. Course then again, he could strike gold and have Nisekoi-levels of success. It's just a nature of the business that unpopular or unmarketable things tend to get shafted unless they're a favorite of the higher ups. This is true of Western media as well. But you are right that Jump is stricter than other Japanese magazines so Stealth Symphony probably could have done better in another magazine.

Anyways, might as well mention one other series just for completion's sake on Jump's current lineup, which started 2 months ago, Hinomaru Zumo which is basically about sumo wrestling. Not something I'm that interested in, but apparently it's liked enough to have its first ranking be number one last week, which is pretty good considering all the other new series from this year started their ranks either in the middle or low.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Jump just puts up this image to me that anything that's remotely interesting and not a battle manga (Souma being the noted exception and OP beging the one battle manga I don't mind) is doomed to the two volume gently caress you treatment regardless where everything sits at the end of the day. Just to point one example that's not HxH (for once) Bleach has been farting in the lower half of the rankings for years now and the cartoon's done so the gently caress is it being allowed to spend years writing up it's finalé? More to the point why wasn't it's cheap rip off of the Chapter Black story arc not it's finale?

If I had to guess, it would be because Bleach's volumes still makes sales despite the drop in popularity it had. To-Love-Ru was in a similar position in that it never ranked well, but its volumes made enough profit that it stuck around till he had to cancel it due to his wife leaving him and he had to take care of his daughter alone. Alternatively, Bleach built up enough good will that Kubo is given freedom to do his final arc for as long as he wants, though I'm inclined toward the former since plenty of other good manga ended up getting rushed endings.

Also to be fair, there's quite a few non-battle manga that generally sit near the top, unless you count sports manga like Kuroko's Basket and Assassination Classroom to be battle manga. Even if you consider those to be battle manga, the most prominent non-battle manga example is PSI Kusuo Saiki though, which is a straight-up absurd comedy manga that has been around for 2 years and has generally always done well in the rankings. There's also the unscanlated samurai comedy Isobe Isobee Monogatari which has consistently sat fairly comfortably above the midline. Anyways, there's always bound to be stuff that gets canceled if they're unpopular or turn out not to be that great, or they're just mismanaged because management doesn't get their appeal. It's just business as usual in any media business.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Again.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Probably lack of interest from scanlators, or they've got a full plate of stuff to work on already, no good raws etc. Saiki Kusuo no Sainan didn't really get updates till this year, even though it started 2 years ago. A spike in popularity or an anime usually gets people's attention like what happened with Attack on Titan, which started in 2009, but only started getting translated in 2011. Just hope someone picks it up.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Twin Star Exorcists.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
3 new chapters of Again!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah, that bit was great. I'm hoping that it's going to be a regularly updated manga because I'm loving it so far.
The shopkeeper is such a bro :allears:

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but it's an adaptation of a light novel which tend to not have good track records of being regularly updated for whatever reason. Rpg stories are pretty fun though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I stopped reading Black Butler in the middle of the arc where he was infiltrating the school a few years ago. I'm just not a big fan of it since I'm probably not part of the demographic it's aiming for, and I just ended up losing interest as a result.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So Shonen Jump Alpha is doing a new thing that's pretty neat, basically translating the first few chapters of whatever Shonen Jump is debuting in Japan, which there is a fair amount of as they're basically throwing stuff out as they're probably looking for something to replace Naruto and Kuroko's Basketball. We still miss out on Boku no Hero Academia, but that's been doing well so maybe it'll be picked up sometime. Anyways, this week we got Judos, a judo manga about a judo village that is the best in the world at judo, which every judo practitioner wants to beat. Features lots of manliness. I'm not that big into it, but I'm usually not into sports manga so can't really judge it yet. Next week is Hi-Fi Cluster, which seems like it has potential based off the one-shot. I can get behind an older hero with cyborg barcode powers. After that is Sporting Salt, which seems to be your typical ecchi manga about a perverted doctor who helps athletes. There's a translated one-shot of it out there if anyone's curious, but probably not worth it.

And just because I like to sperg about Shonen Jump rankings, Yoakemono and Mitsubuki Condor are basically hosed, both having their first ranking all the way at the bottom, which based off how Iron Knight and Stealth Symphony went, is practically a death sentence. Naruto is still in the middle after that drop from last week, being beaten out this week by Assassination Classroom, One Piece, Hero Academy, Shokugeki no Souma, and Haikyuu. So yeah, Hero Academy is doing well, which is pretty nice. I actually went back to check what Barrage's initial rankings were, it started out midline, and immediately tanked, so in comparison, Hero Academy starting in the top 5 is probably pretty good for a new manga, in comparison to all the other debuts this year anyways. The only other new manga that had a good debut was Hinomaru Zumou, the sumo manga which again I don't really know much about other than it's been doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So I still think Hi-Fi Cluster is pretty rad. Go check it out right now if you are subscribed to shonen jump alpha. Or look through the one shot raw I linked earlier since they're practically the same, and it's somewhat easy to tell what's going on even if you can't read Japanese. Like I said earlier, I can get behind a setting where barcodes give you abilities, and the main character is a cop who can channel past heroes. Kind of like sci-fi shaman king now that I think about it, combined with police genre. You also have your other more typical shonen protagonist who has no talent with barcode labels, but will probably be added to the squad as the new rookie next chapter.

I'm still not sure about Judos, other than a Judo village that has battle royales every full moon night is cool I guess.