Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

Psyren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Well then.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Thank you guys for the Mob Psycho recommendation.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Reading World Trigger right now. The way this comic deals with fights can be pretty fun, the current invasion arc and the previous invasion arc have been pretty entertaining. Interesting watching the team try to find the right balance in the rank wars as well.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Relin posted:

so world trigger is a never ending tournament arc?

occasionally theres an alien invasion or something.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks to whoever recommended jujutsu kaisen, it rules

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

drat son

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

New juju up on mangaplus

Young Satoru is.....

A bit of a brat

I have no idea whats happening. Like i know what is happening, but this was so abrupt and now theres this chapter...

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I can’t wait to see their smart rear end solution.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know it doesn't get talked about much here or at all, but dang the latest chapter of Haikyuu.

Feels like it's speeding towards an ending. Or a timeskip,

yeah that was really out of the blue.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Elfface posted:

Mitama Security is good fun too.

For some reason the art reminded me of Zatch Bell, which I miss alot.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know nobody else reads it but i'm really enjoying this final Haikyuu arc. Getting to see a match after everyone's gone pro is very cool.

I enjoy reading Haikyuu, and I agree. This is a good ending arc.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Anyone reading World Trigger? I gave up on the series once the second battle with Hyuse started, I can't take the pace as it is, so I was just wondering if that battle is finally over or if it's still happening.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

i flunked out posted:

Anyone reading World Trigger? I gave up on the series once the second battle with Hyuse started, I can't take the pace as it is, so I was just wondering if that battle is finally over or if it's still happening.

That fight finally ended, thank god. I know the author has medical issues, but it was truly a slog to get through on a monthly basis. I went back and read it from the beginning again, and well, quite frankly I think it was pretty good. I liked that Hyuse's role in the actual battle was cut short in a pretty realistic way and he didn't just trample over everyone, and that the win came more from the development as soldiers that he pushed Osamu and Chika towards.

I also liked the one commentator from Tamakoma 1 completely losing her poo poo in the final moments of the battle. IT's nice when the characters in the comic are surprised in the same way a reader is.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

RatHat posted:

I have no loving idea how that 24 fps power is supposed to work other than it freezes you if you don’t follow its bullshit rules.

Same.

I’ve enjoyed haikyu lately, especially as someone who plays beach volleyball.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Sometimes I forget how good Ju Jutsu Kaisen is and then I go back and re-read older chapters and remember how good it is. The arc where Itadori is presumed dead but is secretly getting training from Nanami that culminates with Itadori and Nanami fighting the soul guy is really good.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

New Jujutsu isn't disappointing in the slightest. But some things that were lost in translation that shed some light onto Sukuna's powers would point towards His ability being cooking related. His Domain Expansion also translates to Imperial Kitchen, and the editor's blurb that wasn't included in the Mangaplus translation states ""The kitchen of certain death has been revealed!!" which puts some things into context. Sukuna's cutting might just be him using a "knife" and the fire he pulled out a couple chapters ago wasn't him copying Jogo per-say, just him using his own "stove". I have to troll around 5ch some more but there might also be a mythological precedence for Sukuna and cooking as well. At least one japanese diety with the name Sukuna is credited for the invention of Sake and there is apparently a connection to hotpot as well.

Basically, Sukuna might be a master chef and this will become Toriko

This is pretty cool tbh. Gotta agree with it, given I cant make a connection between fire and slicing otherwise.

This is an interesting Shikigami that the Zen'in Family have on standby here. It seems perfect to be a last stand "If I die, they die" sort of shikigami.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Re: Jujutsu

drat. Poor Itadori, first the recognition of what Sukuna had done, then immediately losing nanamin afterwards.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
My JJK review:
MAhito needs to die already.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Todo, bros...
that loving clap though.

oof

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Watching Mahito's smug rear end face start to panic has got me feeling good, even if it's temporary.

Is this where it gets revealed who the brain inside geto belongs to?

Edit: Also what a testament to Boogie Woogie and Todo that he can still use the threat of boogie woogie as a bluff.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

RatHat posted:

He says something about the Jujutsu sorceror's of "this era" being pretty good at one point so I think it'll probably be this guy.

that would make for an interesting combo too, the most evil sorcerer in history vs the king of curses when he and sukuna inevitably clash

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
The new chapter is pretty great. Whatever denjis innate ability rocks.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

outstanding

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
i mean it seems fairly in line with the Zoldyck family to train the poo poo out of Killuas physical prowess before they move onto nen.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Zerilan posted:

The keeping in the dark seems fairly exclusive to Killua too, since his youngest sibling is a nen user and member of the Troupe at age 10.

Silva always viewed Killua as his successor, it makes sense he treats him differently.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Jose posted:

Checks out as he's the only blonde child

lol

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
TBH I'm a big fan of World Trigger, but there's no doubt I'd love it more if it wasn't in a monthly format. The pace is really hard to deal with. It still feels more like a weekly with hiatuses between issues than a monthly.

That being said I hope the author doesn't strain himself too much, it seems like his health isn't great.

nrook posted:

I still can’t believe World Trigger just did a whole chapter that’s exclusively minor characters sitting around discussing the power rankings of other minor characters

It’s the most WT chapter ever

I was surprised about how much I enjoyed this.

Silver2195 posted:

Even though the big picture of the setting doesn't really make much sense (the responsibility for fending off alien invasions has essentially been entrusted to an after-school sports club in one town), there's a lot of thought put into all the little things - not just how the superpowers work, but also human touches like how the different teams arrange the furniture in their meeting rooms.

I love the dichotomy of not great writing RE: Setting and larger world (strictly earth) stuff combined with insane attention to detail in fights and character development.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I'd find it very enjoyable if high school family just did a turn and decided to be a manga about a middle aged man playing high school volleyball.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

amigolupus posted:

It's weird. 9 Dragons is an okay sports manga, but I feel like the dad's volleyball chapters in High School Family somehow have more heart in it.

its genuinely a very good arc that is quite heartfelt.

CodfishCartographer posted:

What

I gotta catch up on high school family

Its been... good as of late? The volleyball arc has been handeled well.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I don't see people talking about it all that much, but High School Family is a pretty great gag manga. Each member of the family has their own genre or sport so it never gets stale. It's also really good at using its jokes to build up to a punchline at the end of the chapter. And while the artstyle is goofy like Shugomaru, it manages to keep the proportions consistent, unlike Shugomaru.

It does best when its a sport manga.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I'm catching up on the last year's worth of World Trigger.

It's such a strange series sometimes. The characters are all playing a video game based off of themselves, lol. Entire chapters of characters just doing random commentary while gaming. I think we're at a third level of abstraction now: real fights -> rank battles -> video game battles

I still enjoy it, though!

I get the feeling this arc will be very cool, in about a year or two after its fully published and you can read it in one sitting.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Oh boy, I just finished Show-ha Shoten and I am HEATED. gently caress Nazutani, all my homies hate Nazutani

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Is there a thread for Show-ha Shoten or is this it?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Fabricated posted:

There's no thread so I'd post here.

My only complaint is the regular complaint for this sort of thing: Why does it have to be generic anime blood coughing disease- you can't just loving use google for like 30 minutes and find something

lol, 100% agree.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Well High School Family got cancelled.

booooooo. Gomez is the best.

edit: it does make sense, unfortunately I guess...

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Good list imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Alacron posted:

Akane has been on fire the last couple weeks.

HOLY gently caress IT'S DAD

Absolutely. What a beautiful chapter.