Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
One of my favourite series is Konjiki no Gash, which is somehow transliterated into my language as 'Gouache'. I liked it mostly because the guy really knows how to jerk my tears and the fights (until the last arc) had been creative and entertaining. So on that note, there's an extra chapter, set after the ending! It's short and sweet, though it makes me wish the series didn't end the way it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Speaking of It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular, its spinoff It's Not My Fault My Friend's Not Popular had a short new chapter! I wonder if Komi will eventually phase out of the story or appear in the main story.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
BREAKING NEWS! Weird people come to Tokyo. Kiruko 14.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Always nice to see another Konjiki no Gash Bell fan.

There's a new chapter of Sengoku Youko, in which there are some more cloud-on-roof actions.

I know she's a kid, but does anyone think Tsukiko looks too thin on the last page?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The new Sket-Dan is here! And it's good! It's about Gesu and breasts sexy dinner.

But you know what's better?

Another new Sket-Dan chapter! Featuring our most beloved characters: tsundere fanboys.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 14, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I don't usually read Kuroshitsuji (also known as Black Butler), but the current saga, about stuff in an old English academy, had an interesting arc starting from Chapter 76 to 80. This arc is probably the first time I ever read shonen-style cricket matches.

I don't think you need to know much about the series beforehand to understand it. The main character's the one with eyepatch named 'Ciel', the people cheering from him are his friends. Ciel is the 'Earl of Phantomhive'. The tall guy wearing black is Ciel's demon butler pretending to be a teacher. Other characters don't mean much. The school is divided into four houses, Blue the smart one, Purple the creepy one, Red the handsome one, and Green the sporty one. 'Fag' means an underclassman who serves upperclassman, almost like a butler.

The basic rules of cricket are explained in chapter 76. So just go and read it. Cricket.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Good news? Maybe? Kiruko gets an important job to do in chapter 15.

After that, we have shonen. And eels. Chapter 16.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

DrSunshine posted:

The latest SKET Dance is really hilarious!

I don't know which 'alternate' Sket-Dan I like better! Nah, just kidding, this one is already miles better than the other one.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Four new Kiruko chapters! A moderate amount of shipping at the latter two. Other than that, they're pretty much on the side of good.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the main problem was that the author was far too attached to this archetype he had created.

I agree. The author made a one shot last year (around July) called 'Double Bullet' which literally stars Bullet. The same body shape, same look, same personality, same history of being an ex-soldier, same weapon and everything.

The difference between the author's earlier one-shots and Shinmai Fukei Kiruko is that the gender is reversed. That's it. The normal-powered police tsukkomi is a man and the super-powered ex-soldier hellbent of becoming a police despite destructive tendencies is a woman. In Kiruko he added few characteristics like ghost-phobic or the fervor to be liked by everyone, but he keeps returning to the trite "Kiruko is too strong for her own good" trope. I thought the social pressure she felt from the Tokyo chapter could bring some fresh comedy, but then it returned back to Kiruko destroying everything. I still liked it though.

do not search for kiruko fanart on pixiv while you're working

jonjonaug posted:

Didn't someone post earlier that it was getting canceled?

Angry Grimace posted:

The rumors are flying that Kiruko is going to be ending in WSJ Issue #22/23

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
EDIT: Not a single thing in this post was fit for this thread.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 11, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I hated all shonen sports series and went on a long spree of not reading them due to the abomination that is Prince of Tennis. Goddamn, that manga.

So I've been missing on plenty of shonen sports series. What do you recommend? I'd prefer if it wasn't baseball.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I liked Prince of Tennis at the start, but by around its final year the matches are just so unlikeable (the 'comedy' doubles and the clone/copy/mimic Fuji match) and that final match had a lousy end. Then there's the baffling New Prince of Tennis.

Weird how the only sports manga I bother read up on is the one that makes me hate sports manga in the first place.

AnonSpore posted:

Slam Dunk, Adachi Mitsuru's manga, Eyeshield 21, Kuroko no Basuke, Hajime no Ippo

Out of all of those, the only one I haven't read is Kuroko no Basuke. I'll try that out. Thanks!

DrSunshine posted:

Aww, no mentions for Yowamushi Pedal?

Pretty much the only reason I want to get back to reading shonen sports, honestly. All that enthusiasm and ~improbable developments~ except without the smugness.

psyer posted:

Sports manga I am reading right now is Giant Killing and Chihayafuru.

Oooh, soccer. I'll give Giant Killing a try. Thanks!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There's a new chapter of It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular! In this here chapter, a gamer turns her life into games.

Couldn't find The Onion article exactly about this same system, -10 points.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
There's a new chapter of Sket-Dan in which a kid is programmed mentally. Sick stuff.

However, the more important new chapters are these two, which starts the How Switch Joins Sket-Dan arc. I don't have a joke for this; if you're a Sket-Dan fan, start getting hyped.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Kiruko went through her toughest enemies in the new two chapters. In Chapter 21: Greeting Phantom she fought people unable to distinguish professional colleagues with romantic partners. In Chapter 22: Decisive Battle! she fought a helicopter.

The fact that the main guy keeps acting like a lecherous lowlife is interesting, but I can't like the guy.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular had a new chapter, in which a regular trope of the shounen romance genre is used in a malicious manner.

:siren: Kuroki may have gotten a new friend :siren:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Yowamushi Pedal just got shonen. If you are familiar with the manga, you should be aware of how remarkable this statement is.

In VOLUME 6, we meet the toughest team of rivals, the one equal to the main protagonist, the hint of something even greater within the main protagonist, people everywhere getting serious, intra-team rivalry Arc II, intra-team rivalry Arc II Part 2, Shonen friendship, and super Shonen friendship. All in all, deadly amounts of shonen with enough hot-bloodedness to keep a naked man alive in Siberia. Don't read in one sitting without heavy amounts of J-Rock on the side.

There is far more strategy to team biking than I ever thought. And holy goddamn, Onoda still hadn't had the complete biking equipment? By the time he wore all he should and riding a bike suited for him, he'll be the national champion.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 16, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I agree completely with the positive tone. I don't think that's going to last, though. There will be an evil bastard someday, or else it's not shonen! But then we'll figure out the bad guy just had a bad past and he is restored by the belief of his teammates and Onoda's cheerfulness. Shonen gotta shon :v:

Regarding the art, I would also call it 'stretchy'. Some of the limbs are far longer than they should be, it's like a muscular version of CLAMP's noodly people.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Hey, remember from the last thread that amazing oneshot about a deaf girl and bullies? The series, based on that oneshot, starts now! You should check it out.

I would much rather the series continue on their high-school days with small bits of flashbacks here and there, but I suppose elementary school bullying is the point.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 8, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
This is not new at all, but the guy who drew Zetsubou-Sensei made a oneshot titled Contract Detective Nokori Kasuhiro, which I think is quite good. It's about a detective who only handles cases every other detectives had given up on.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Waffleman_ posted:

Kiruko-san was only crap because the author actively refused to let it get off the ground. Is the new serialization just a straight reboot or do I need to read the last couple chapters of the Jump series?

It's a continuation, but you don't need to read the last couple chapters of the first series. The only thing worth knowing is that because the whole team (except the section chief) went after a criminal with ties to 'powerful people' in the police, they're all fired. But then the same criminal forced the police department to accept the whole team back.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
edit: Doubutsu no Kuni is licensed as Animal Land. Go buy it if you have the funds.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 3, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

coathat posted:

I wish people would stop posting licensed poo poo all over this forum.

I apologize. I didn't bother to check the licensing status because I've rarely bought manga in English, only in my native Indonesian. It's so easy to check whether it's been licensed or not, too :doh:

As exchange for my laziness, I want to ask the thread: have you been following the serialization of Koe no Katachi? Because you should. It's now past the elementary school chapter (which, since prolonged, feels more painful to read) and into the truly new developments.

I think the girl forgives the boy far too easily, but can't deny that when the two actually interact it's both awkward and adorable :3:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

AnonSpore posted:

Dude what. The title of most shounenest of golf manga indisputably belongs to Dan Doh!!, a manga where an Japanese grade schooler goes pro because he wants to earn enough money to bring back his absent mom and ends up golfing against the likes of Jack Nicklaus. Also he can literally see the wind.

Now, to be slightly fair, he didn't exactly golf against Jack Nicklaus, he acted as caddy to someone who played against Jack Nicklaus. Jack Nicklaus can also see the wind.

To be even more fair, in the sequel (Dan Doh!! Xi) he did go to St. Andrews (after getting his golf set stolen in Thailand) and played his way into The Open, eventually colliding against a man so anti-golf he humiliated like a whole set of pro-golfers by playing an entire course using only a putter and a black ball. The man has an evil dog as well. Also this same man basically played ping-pong using a golf ball against Dandoh's teacher while simultaneously killing a bunch of wasps. Dandoh of course won shooting his ball so it can ride the winds of a storm from a museum inside a golf club into the green. Dan Doh is nuts. I think the author's other Golf manga is a bit more grounded, though.

Dan Doh at least has their golf matches on actual grassland. Pro Golfer Saru has them on a fuckin' volcano.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm a much greater salmon than any of you :colbert:x2

AnonSpore posted:

This thread is getting pretty shounen itself, what with all the stronger people showing up out of nowhere! :v:

But yeah it's been like over a decade since I read Dan Doh!! My greatest memory of it is one scene where a bad guy gets an albatross and everyone reacts like he personally executed Mother Teresa and Gandhi at the same time.

He was using a special golf stick that will ruin his arms if he used it too often! So Dandoh used a putter to make a 100% accurate shot through a space between the tree leaves to score an eagle on the final hole! Dan Doh!! was great, Dan Doh!! Xi was a bit less and the fanservice is kind of creepy, Dan Doh!! Next Generation was just a bit too rubbish.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Clearly what we need is a hot-blooded romance.

Witness, the face of fury and wrath and unbridled umbrage!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

More Hot-Blooded Romance (Koe No Kotachi 12) :v:

I'm liking the way plot's going even if I would prefer Shouya not becoming your classic protagonist that got everything work out because his acceptance of things, seems kind of cheap.

Yeah, as much as I like Shouko and how...'saintly' she's been acting, Shouya is forgiven far too easily. Not saying all the bullying Shouya's been through isn't horrible, just that well...there's not much he has done to redeem himself to Shouko. I'm kind of hoping Shouya starts thinking that Shouko's forgiveness isn't enough for him to forgive himself and he attempted to do more.

Also why is there that jocular emoticon on your post Koe no Katachi is nothing if not hot-blooded:

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 19, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is like the author's reading us, he pretty much tackled our complains and gave a pretty good answer.

My problem with Koe no Katachi is that there isn't enough hot-blooded conversation in Japanese Sign Language.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I like the big X's on Kawai's face. It's like a unique way of having a character wear an eyepatch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Oooh, speaking of things that are long, there's a long due update for the Smallest Hero!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I didn't reply to this earlier, but the bunny-girl seems pretty simple to explain.

The bunny girl is a character from a 'prototype' one-shot of Iron Knight called Goblin Night, released in 2012. You could see that the serialized Iron Knight borrows certain things from Goblin Night, such as the 'goblin-fication' being a voluntary transformation instead of permanent, the ability to speak in goblin form, and the flame powers. Very likely the girl-bunny will have snow powers as well. Also, the girl in the last two pages of the Iron Knight oneshot resembles Yuki from Goblin Night.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 6, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Hey, Yowamushi Pedal, perhaps the most relaxing biking shounen ever made, had just updated with Volume 9!

In the latest volume, we get the chilled-out disappointment, we meet the foreign concept of 'always carry your ID', we are introduced to the best guy in the entire series, him and his team of clowns (it's all unicycling, things get wacky), an anime otaku nerd being cool in front of a girl, the fact that lying to your parents is fun, and a healthy dose of youthful energetic SHONEN you've come to expect from Yowamushi Pedal.

All in all, pretty good way to start the weekends.

The length of Midousuji's limbs is approaching Slender Man proportions. I like how he's pretty much a Joker-type of a guy. I wonder how hard he's going to troll everyone.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

The last page was interesting and baffling to me. I've read a few articles (like this one or this or this) and while I get the general sentiment of the phrase "the moon is beautiful" as having the same effect in Japanese culture as the phrase "I love you" in English culture, I don't understand the reasoning behind the usage of the word 'moon'. Is it because the moon is a symbol related to love in Japan?

For whatever reason, though, if Shouko does interpret Shouya saying the 'moon is beautiful' as him reciprocating her love, that'll be a really unique basis for a misunderstanding. I wonder also if the fact that 'moon is beautiful' arises from the difficulty of translating from one culture to another, the possible misunderstanding here is a metaphor of the difficulty in a non-deaf person communicating in the language of the deaf. That's nice. Also really cute :3:

Did any of you read The Cooking Master Boy? It had been released to the last volume of its sequel in my country and I love it to pieces. I love the setting of old China, which makes the development in the last half of the series sort of fitting. The cooking itself does get ridiculous, but it often stays at the level of Addicted to Curry instead of Yakitate.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
...I'm sorry. I'm not sure what happened. I think Yowamushi Pedal has an update of two volumes? I remember this brief spurt of excitement and a blinding white flash of burning spirit, but not much else.

Midousuji is the best godfucking drat character in the entire series.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 8, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Shields need more love.

V neeeeerds

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 2, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

JosephWongKS posted:

I did a Wikipedia search and checked the series' description on Mangafox to see what the fuss was.

Nothing controversial or skeevy disclosed on Wikipedia. It's even an award winner. How bad could it be?

Hmm yup, I think that's enough red flags for me not to want to read the series.

No, no, you see, this is an adult manga, full of thoughtful discourses, such as an investigative, almost insightful, conversation on the evolutionary aesthetics, using such advanced topics as paleontological anthropology and the Hirschfeldan theory of psychology. There's also a prolonged, extended, arc (both character and story, amazingly) regarding hermeneutics of ancient Chinese classical literature, where the inter-relationship of literary characters are probed and explored to an extensive, some would say excessive, detail.

Also, a girl sucked on a boy's thigh.

:fap:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
You all should just read Black Butler for the simple fact that it tries to make cricket shonen.

DrSunshine posted:

The scanlator's been posting chapter regularly as of late, and it's just a lot of good, clean fun.

What do you mean good clean fun all I see is psychological torture

On me because I just want these two to get together already uggh :cry:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

RatHat posted:

Taught me more about cricket than anything else :v:

Can matches really last DAYS? gently caress.

Not literally 24-hour days. There are three types of match in Cricket: a "Test", a "One-Day International" and a "Twenty20". Only the first, a Test, could last five 'days'. Each 'day' start from 11 to like 6 in the afternoon, with two breaks. Only if the weather's good, though. If the weather's bad the match is stopped. 'Bad weather' includes being cloudy enough that the cricket field is dark. This is England's sport. If after five days the team didn't finish their two innings, the match is considered a 'draw', no matter who had the highest score.

DrSunshine posted:

Read more shoujo manga, you'll quickly become accustomed to this feeling. :D

I am reading Last Game, I can't handle more of two people who so very obviously like each other and yet still not with each other.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 8, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Literally The Worst posted:

I mean it's still a bad series but going "ugh it's just tits" is missing the point really hard.

Yeah, I mean, it's about rear end as well. Plebs just can't see true art, I guess :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
All mangaka will one day be tempted by the devil at the crossroads, of moe and fanservice.