Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
They didn't tell him to piss off, they told him that it was a good story but they felt that the tone and subject material wasn't right for a Jump manga (which is totally correct, in my opinion). I suppose the wording of it was a bit harsh, but it's not like they thought it crap or anything. The holy trinity of Shonen Jump has always been "friendship, effort, victory," and Kyojin pretty much shits all over that. Even in Jump SQ, Shonen Jump's monthly magazine (which has very different criteria and guidelines than WSJ does), it would've stuck out like a sore thumb.

Then again there are people who think that they should have taken it anyway considering how much of a hit it's been, so perhaps the guy who turned Isayama down did get fired. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

toanoradian posted:

I hated all shonen sports series and went on a long spree of not reading them due to the abomination that is Prince of Tennis. Goddamn, that manga.

So I've been missing on plenty of shonen sports series. What do you recommend? I'd prefer if it wasn't baseball.

Prince of Tennis is less about sports and more about, I dunno, fujoshi-oriented Fist of the North Star fought with rackets.

Anyway.

Slam Dunk is pretty much the golden standard for sports manga. As you can guess it's about basketball. It's pretty much a perfectly done story except for the ending, which many people thought was disappointing or abrupt (it wasn't). It's an amazing manga and if you only ever read one sports manga, make it Slam Dunk.

Adachi Mitsuru's manga are really good too (Touch is generally considered the best, with H2 following), but they're about baseball so I dunno if you'd like 'em.

Eyeshield 21 (American football) was the closest thing Jump ever got to repeat of Slam Dunk's popularity with sports, but unlike Slam Dunk which ended exactly as the creator intended, ES21 sort of overstayed its welcome and many people believe that the WSJ editorial department forced the story to continue until its popularity dropped enough to cancel it. Still a great manga, if a little more fantastic than the previous recommendations. It's notable for its art, which thanks to artist Murata Yuusuke's dedication and effort started out okay and then went on to be amazing. Also notable for never taking a single break over the entirety of its 300+ chapter, ~7 year run.

Kuroko no Basuke is another basketball manga, though this one is closer to the Prince of Tennis "The way I dunked the ball was so cool it literally started the ice age that drove the mammoths extinct" sort of fantastic overreactions. I haven't read it myself so I can't comment beyond that but it's still running and very popular, especially with female readers.

Initial D! (racing) is also pretty good, but its art style is an acquired taste. I'm not sure if you'd include racing as a sports manga or if you're looking for more conventional -ball sports, though.

Hajime no Ippo (boxing) is one of the greats, though over the course of its extremely long run readers have rightly begun criticizing mangaka Morikawa George for recycling his plots, pushing characters the audience doesn't like to the point of absurdity, and basically being lazy and coasting on the series' established popularity. Still, when it was good, it was really really good.

Drawing a blank on others right now, may edit the post later when more come to mind.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 17, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Someone drew a one-shot titled Jump Super Stars featuring all the big name protagonists of WSJ mangas.

Yes it is every bit as awesome as you would imagine that to be.

EDIT: Now I'm not actually sure if it's Murata.

Also, yes, it seems pretty old! But it's the first I've ever heard of it.

It's definitely Murata's style.

Here's a better quality version, since that link is a downsize of a downsize.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 12, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

King Golf, the most shonenest of golf manga has received a shitload of updates. Thrill as a mostly less assholeish Agon from Eyeshield goes from king of the bullies to a scratch golfer in 2 months after repetitive shonen training and teaching sessions from a camp of children.

Dude what. The title of most shounenest of golf manga indisputably belongs to Dan Doh!!, a manga where an Japanese grade schooler goes pro because he wants to earn enough money to bring back his absent mom and ends up golfing against the likes of Jack Nicklaus. Also he can literally see the wind.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

This thread is getting pretty shounen itself, what with all the stronger people showing up out of nowhere! :v:

But yeah it's been like over a decade since I read Dan Doh!! My greatest memory of it is one scene where a bad guy gets an albatross and everyone reacts like he personally executed Mother Teresa and Gandhi at the same time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I haven't read the scanlations of One Piece but I distinctly remember a scan of the page where Donquixote Doflamingo and Bartholomew Kuma are first introduced as "Tanjihado Lofulamingo" and "Bisoromi Bear." Also, who can forget the immortal yukiwaliso?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You take that back or there'll be a fight in this thread.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well I'm sorry but the glass is half-empty on this one.

Regardless the fact remains if anyone else did that (which is to say submit chicken scratchings, then constantly go on hiatus) they would be fired on the spot (as is right and proper) and it's distressing seeing good manga cut in their prime (Double Arts, MxO, the one about the Zoo that fought other zoos I can't mind the name of) whilst Togashi gets a free ride and the person who did Double Arts is now 100+ chapters into a half baked Orange Road rip-off (-psychics, pretend to + Mobsters but not really) that, by all rights, shouldn't have mustered 50.

Blame Jump for treating Togashi so badly during YYH that the blank check style contract they gave him was the only way they could keep him from jumping ship to another magazine after it ended.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

What was the story behind that? It sounds interesting. I've never read YYH or really followed the story around Togashi and his infamous habits before HXH.

Long story short, YYH was hugely popular, but Togashi wanted to end it because he was sick of pulling all nighters and said he "didn't want to die of exhaustion for the sake of a manga." It ended up running around 7 months more than he wanted, and afterwards Togashi was so sick of Jump that he threatened to leave for another magazine. Jump was so desperate to keep him that they gave him a contract that more or less specified he'd have the final word on anything he drew, including how to draw it and when to draw it. Jump doesn't break the contract because HxH still sells like gangbusters.

I mean, Togashi's not entirely blameless, since Usuta Kyousuke has a similar contract and you don't see him taking year long breaks. But from the things he wrote in his author's notes back during YYH it really does come across like he was at a breaking point and Jump forced him to go over that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I remember that some parts are a bit more gruesome in the manga (such as what Hiei ultimately does to Mukuro's abusive father).

I love YYH a lot. I still think it's the only time I've truly enjoyed a tournament arc in a shounen story; everything else feels like a pretender. Man does the quality fall off a cliff once (Sensui arc) Yusuke is revived a second time though. It's almost jarring how different it is before/after.

Overall though I'll even go out on a limb and say that I like YYH more than HxH, if only because it never became the shuffling corpse that HxH has become ever since Greed Island ended. Even that would have probably been forgivable if not for the terrible release schedule and artwork.

Coincidentally that's exactly where Togashi wanted to end it, yeah. I don't remember if he mentioned half-assing it deliberately as a gently caress you to Jump, or if he was just that tired and burnt out.

Also personally, I really liked the chimera ant arc, especially after I reread it in one go once it was done, with the redrawn volume scans instead of the WSJ scribbles. Togashi experimented with another way of narrating that I think worked really well for it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pandaK posted:

I felt this way with HxH. I just don't understand why it's popular. Everyone I talk to says that it's because it's a great shonen series with good action and creative fights, and maybe if I just looked at the pictures I would agree. But the mangaka felt necessary to include text boxes in practically every scene to narrate just what was going on. I felt it was telling the story a lot more than showing. Am I alone in this feeling?

Like everything "show don't tell" is a suggestion, not a rule. Togashi (and Mori Kouji, and Itagaki Keisuke, to name some others) are really good at using the third person omniscient narration style to carry stories. If you don't like it then that's a shame, but but I think that saying his narrative style is bad just because he has a lot of text boxes is kinda, I dunno, missing the point, in my opinion.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno, I loved the Ryodan but I thought it was cool how Togashi branched out and didn't have subsequent antagonists be "like the Ryodan, but more powerful/eviller!!" and I liked them equally as much in their own way. Meruem and the royal guards were amazing and even Pariston, that smarmy jerk, was very amusing to read. That said the Ryodan were definitely great characters and it's a shame there's not really any room to fit them into the current arc (if Togashi ever continues it).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

In this thing's defence, the human transformation thing (as well as AoT's to a given extent) has common ancestry in the likes of Ultraman (there's a heavy Kamen Rider bent to it too with the human experiment angle) .

That said, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as far as pinching it from AoT if only because it'll probably get the axe before to long for not being a complete write off as is standard Jump COA.

Honestly, if I was a comic author in Japan in 2014, I'd stay the gently caress away from Jump. They were always a bit crap at keeping quality works (and calling time on the stuff that was milked to death) but something snapped after they let AoT slip through their fingers.

Why do people keep saying Jump didn't recognize Attack on Titan's potential or whatever? They said it was a good series when Isayama brought it to them, but they turned it down because it didn't fit with Jump's themes. Which is completely correct. Jump's motto is Friendship, Effort, Victory; you can argue that Death Note didn't fit that motto and was still a big hit anyway, but it was a massive gamble even with an established artist assisting a writer who had at least done one work before, whereas Attack on Titan is Isayama's first work period.

Besides, the draft he submitted to Jump had some really bad art.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 3, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Rumiko Takahashi is hack and a profoundly dull writer. Tedious is really the best way to describe Inu Yasha and anything else she worked on. There is never decent payoff for slogging through the epic-length stories that claim to be romance, but never actually progress in any meaningful way.

Hey Maison Ikkoku was good, and

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

What is people's opinion of Dragon Ball these days? I didn't really watch DBZ as a kid and I just read through Freeza in the manga, and it's entertaining enough. It's interesting to see what other peoples' opinions are seeing as it's the most well known shonen in existence. Having just gotten into anime/manga I have nothing to compare this to beyond limited middle/high school nostalgia.

I will say though that I'm not super impressed with the anime, even the Kai remaster. I think I'm just too old to overlook the fact that it, and shonen in general I guess, was written for 13 year olds, and this seems to bleed through a lot more in anime in general than it does in manga. I haven't read Naruto (yet) but rewatching episodes is something of the same experience.

Not crazy about the anime. The manga is really solid; though it starts to show cracks as Toriyama changes the plot according to fan and editor wishes around the Cell arc, it's still good as long as you don't mind the traditional battle shounen formula (that Dragonball itself helped shape).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Randallteal posted:

I'm way late to the party on this one, but I was looking through Viz's digital releases for the last few months, and I saw they had released four volumes of a manga I had never heard of with art by Takeshi Obata. I'm such a huge Bakuman fan that I bought all four volumes without reading the free preview, and, well:

Ral Ω Grad has to be the stupidest comic (with great art) that I've ever read. I can't believe I didn't think to look to see who the writer was. I've been waiting forever for the Death Note and Bakuman team to do something else, and I just assumed this was it. Apparently it's a ten-year old tie-in to the Blue Dragon RPG. I have no idea why Viz decided to pull this out of their back catalog in 2013 when great titles like Slam Dunk and Jojo's are still physical-only.

Hahahaha I remember reading that years and years ago. It was monumentally stupid, yeah. Isn't the guy who's obsessed with tits a dragon or something?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

If you like Kangoku Gakuen you should read Me and the Devil Blues by the same mangaka, it's very similar

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I think it's reasonable to say just from glancing at Prison School that Hiramoto really hates the people who would unironically enjoy it, and wishes he could do more Me and the Devil Blues (which he is now!), but at that doesn't mean I wanna read it. It's great that there are enough people who do that he gets to keep a roof over his head, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Undead Lovers, a cute but also really sad series with 3 out of around 12 chapters currently scanlated. I am bad at summaries so here's the one the scanlator used:

quote:

Kouno Jun is a lively character who lives life with all his might. In kindergarten, he falls in love with Hasebe Rino, the most beautiful girl in his class, and he confesses to her. Hasebe accepts his love, but the moment she gives her answer, she vanishes on the spot. Failing to figure out what's going on, Kouno asks his friends about Hasebe, only to find out that no one remembers a single thing about her. She has just vanished, along with all memories about her, except for those of Kouno.

While Kouno leads a weary and desperate high-school life, Hasebe appears again as a transfer student. However, this Hasebe is not exactly the Hasebe he knows...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Toriko is great. Currently everyone is waiting for a gigantic monkey whose balls just dropped (literally) to beat the poo poo out of an evil bird woman because she got in the way of him dancing with his ghost girlfriend

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Isn't Toriko written by a pedophile? Checking... yup, convicted for violating child prostitution laws.

Okay...?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

considering the charge was suspended its possible he didnt even know she was 16

I'm not about to make excuses for Shimabukuro's enkou fantasies, but imo it would be a shame to give Toriko a pass for that reason, is all.

Like the Baki mangaka said, hate the person if you have to but not his works. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Suspension of Disbelief is a hell of a thing. You know you've hosed up if people are confused by your otherworldly invader story but can roll with something like Toriko or Assassination Classroom.

Toriko is great because it straight out presents you with ridiculous numbers like "and five billion people were at the stadium, and by the way that's only 0.1% of the world's population" and it's dropped so casually you just nod and go hmm yes I see and don't think about it. It's the best.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pandaK posted:

Has anyone here ever heard of or read Law of Ueki? I've been an avid follower of the mangaka ever since his first work, but I'm starting to feel like he might be a one shot wonder now. Takkoku was alright until it just abruptly ended, and Anagle Mole started off really interesting but just spluttered off until he fell into medical issues and that too had to be cut short soon after he recovered. He's started on a new series called Saike Mata Shitemo. I've only read the first chapter so far, but it just feels off right from the beginning. It just seems to follow the "debbie downer kid who thinks he has no aspirations in life suddenly finds himself in Groundhog's Day" formula really hard, like I mean really hard. It's painful seeing someone I've been looking forward to for a long time turn out like this...

We don't talk about Law of Ueki +

I remember that Ueki had a guy who was immensely proud of his ability to turn tomatoes into magma and I was like yeah okay and never read another chapter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I love Yanda

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I personally prefer the Bleach approach of everyone facing off against each other in big groups and then inexplicably splitting up into 1:1 duels that never affect one another at all

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Zatch Bell is probably one of the more underrated shonen. It uses all of the tropes, ALL OF THEM, but it does so well and is a fun, passionate story throughout. That it ended the way it did was kinda refreshing as well.

The artwork can be pretty bad at times but when it counts, he nails it. And he's like, the master of two-page giant creature spreads.

VRAAAH

VRAAAAH

VERY MELON

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Hunter X Motherfucking Hunter

HxH loving owns and has the best fights.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Togashi's art is loving amazing I dunno what you guys are on about

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno if the volume version of the manga is available in English, whether you're buying it or just trying to find it online. If not, then I definiltely say anime--Togashi did some really bad work in some of the arcs (notably the chimera ant arc) where he basically submitted napkin sketches and they put those in the magazines. He fixed them up for the published volumes, but without access to those, well, the anime is still really good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

What a coincidence. I, too, only recently finished Fist of the North Star.

The series as a whole really goes downhill after Raoh's death, but it's probably some kinda testament to Buronson and Tetsuo Hara's teamwork that it manages to remain pretty entertaining anyway. It's insane and silly and gratuitous and manly.

That whole last volume though, sheesh.

Everyone I've ever talked to considers the series to have ended after Raoh died. It's pretty obvious from the brief glut of filler chapters afterwards that they'd planned on ending the series right there and had to churn out meaningless bullshit while they tried to come up with a suitably impressive arc to follow up on what was meant to be a finale.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I think my favorite scene is "What kind of old lady looks like you?" followed closely by "What color is your blood?!" and "gently caress you Ken-oh."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

The funny thing about that manga is that the author literally finished it on his deathbed. His magnum opus was a mediocre shounen fighting manga, which I don't think will ever stop being funny.

It started off pretty strong and then tapered off as the author was literally dying of liver cancer, which I can imagine might have had some small impact on the quality

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

The manga for YYH has a pretty amazing middle, though, and that part holds up very, very well. The beginning spends too much time with Yosuke dead but you mostly only feel that because you already know how the story is going to change. Then after the Toguro fight it kind of wanders around and tries to figure out what it wants to be while sifting through some great ideas it doesn't do much with and also less great ideas it also doesn't do much with. There's one mostly cohesive arc in the manga after the Dark Tournament but even that flickers through a few different ideas of what it wants to be and settles on a bland retread with some great moments. Then the last few volumes happen and it's like the writer just has no idea what he wants to do and can't stick with anything.

So yeah. The start's a little slow, the end wanders around, but the middle is faaaaaantabulous. Haven't seen all of the anime though so I don't know much beyond how they tightened up the start.

Togashi really wanted to end YYH while it was still good, and editorial made him keep it going, which many people point to as the reason why YYH's ending was so weird. He was so pissed he threatened to take his next work to another magazine, so Jump made a desperate bid to keep him by giving him a contract that basically gave him the final say on every aspect of his comic. This is the reason he can take so many hiatuses (outside of his legitimate health issues) and not have to worry about his manga being canceled or anything.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Helck is really good, read Helck

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I don't agree with the Helck-Saitama comparison. It's only superficially true in that they're both ridiculously strong for their setting. But the way the story handles their ridiculous strength is way different.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Helck is really good, thanks for that. It runs on a magazine or is more like a webcomic?

It runs in Ura Sunday which is an online magazine and also in the smartphone app-only service Manga One.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Frenda's not dead, she just had to split

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

This seems to have already been removed from beartato. Considering all the praise it got, I'd like to check it out. Anywhere else this was uploaded? (I'd check myself but the title was never mentioned)

Now I really want a Beartato manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Batoto... is good.