Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Some people have answered our prayers and given to us eight new chapters of Abidani's magical adventures aka Gamble Fish

Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
We also got three new chapters of Gamble Fish today. Unfortunately with Abidani's backstory ending in the previous batch we are back to its fanservice self.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Anyone reading Soul Catcher(S)? Seems to be another relatively new jump manga.

It's about a guy who can see people's hearts but has always problems interpreting them and instead of helping the situation made things worse which resulted in him being a loner, until his own heart gets swayed and he gets slowly dragged into the Concert Band Club.

So far it has been pretty fun although you could say that it is generic as hell in it premise, still I like it. So far 12 chapters have been scanlated and its up to 30+ chapters in Japan.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Allarion posted:

Time will tell on that front, but have another chapter of superhero highschool!

I've mentioned it before, but it has started off at a good ranking from the get-go, bumping into the top 5 right away, and even managing to beat out One Piece and Assassination Classroom on one occasion. Even if it's doomed, Jump is promoting the hell outta it at the moment since it just got two color pages in a row, as well as staying within the top 5. I haven't been paying attention to rankings long enough to know if it matches the trend of sticking around forever, but I know that it hasn't gotten the death knell of starting in last place which happened to a lot of other new manga this year. If its first volume sells well, Jump will definitely try to keep it around.

Don't ratings only apply from the 7th issue onwards or something? I think I remember reading something about that. Or are we simply behind in scanlations which would obviously solve that issue and make sense.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
New spin-off where Kuroko and the generaton of Miracles take on their own racist Americans. Remember all those glorious facts Eyeshield brought to us and wait to see them reimagined just with basketball this time :cheeky:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Dexo posted:

I freaking love Kuroko's, full disclosure I also loved Prince of Tennis throughout.

Racist disrespectful Americans are a troupe I can always get behind. It's a good cheap trope to get behind when you don't have time to introduce actual characterization for a group of people.

But shrug, This will be better than Eyeshield as, the players are are all just as cocky as the Americans (well besides Kuroko).

No doubt this will be one big dick-waving contest which streetball is quite a fitting premise I think. Also I love Kuroko, Captain Tsubasa, PoT and co. althought with the ridiculousness of Kuroko and PoT middle/high school students I just wish to see what actual pros could do in universe (given that attempted murder in PoT seems to be an acceptable way to win a game of tennis especially in New Prince of Tennis :cheeky:)

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Dexo posted:

Eh, that dudes Art has been pretty similar since Groove Adventure Rave. I wouldn't say it was stolen from One Piece. Or at the very least, his style has always been like Oda's.

I'm not sure if it's true but I think Mashima worked together with Oda as an assitant on Kenshin. Might just be hearsay though.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

Have there been any fighting manga starting since Naruto? I read OP\Bleach\Hero Academy but I'm like a drat crack addict. Horrible tropes are my fuel. I need more. :goatdrugs:

MAR, Black Cat, Kongoh Bancho, Busou Renkin, Houshin Engi, Shaman King, are all shounen series with varying amount of tropeness. All of them are finished as well.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
New Silver Spoon chapter is out with more or Hachiken's Dad which is always a good thing.

http://sensescans.com/reader/read/silver_spoon/en/0/126/page/1

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Alacron posted:

Okay, finished up Kuroko's Basketball. That makes 3 sports manga that I've finished now (Eyeshield 21 and Haikyu being the others).

It was pretty good, but also the lesser of those three I'd say. Maybe I've been spoiled by Eyeshield but I have a hard time remembering most of the team names and which players are which, but Haikyu had a similar problem and hey, not all artists can be Yusuke Murata.

I also think that its ending was a bit weak, it could have used another chapter for some denouement. Haikyu definitely beats both of the others in that department.

If you don't mind unfinished manga then I second the recommandation for Ao Ashi. Giant Killing is an amazing football/soccer manga as well. Days and Whistle are also really fun mangas, with Whistle being finished.

Slam Dunk is a classic and Prince of Tennis is full on shounen sport nonsense (The sequel being even more ridiculous).

Major is another classic though I'm not the biggest fan as I find the main character to be a prick. One Outs is fun as well.

There is no shortage of fun sport mangas so you have a nice road ahead.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know which other webtoons I should take a look at but drat, the stories in Lookism and Viral Hit are hitting me real hard now.

I'm real glad that the art style in Lookism leveled up, had no idea I was supposed to take Vasco as serious as the manga wanted me to at first.

Personally I really enjoy Eleceed by the same person who did Noblesse. Not super serious from a story perspective but a fun read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Cicero posted:

Hmm, I’m in the Seattle area so I can check out Kinokuniya and maybe some comic shops, just not confident in being able to find volume ones of random manga there, either.

He likes Call of Duty zombies, and Fortnite. Maybe other stuff too, I can ask my son.

I’m looking at maybe just grabbing solo leveling and record of ragnarok, not sports but maybe they’ll be appealing (I’ll have to see how violent/gory ragnarok is).

Thanks!

Ragnarok is seinen and very much a gorefest and revels in it. A fun fighting manga but it certainly doesn't shy away.

The classic baseball manga is Major though i personally don't like it all that much. Diamond no Ace is pretty good as well. Bungo is a bit more over the top and comedic in the beginning but mellows out on the slapstick comedy.

Basketball has Slam Dunk as the classic. Kuroko no Basket is a bit more superpowered for a basketball Manga but by no means a prince of tennis or captain Tsubasa level. Real is about wheelchair basketball though the game itself is more background as the main focus is about living with disabilities and the challenges of it. There are plenty of generic basketball mangas which all don't stand out much but had decent runs and can be a nice casual read.

CVE fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 4, 2022