Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

coathat posted:

Batoto lets you pick which translation to read so you don't have to read lovely versions. And since it lists what group translated a series you can get good recommendations that way.

It's funny to see people on a forum you have to pay money to join complain about making a free account to use a website.

this is correct, batoto is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I read 124 chapters of Kengan Asura in Vietnamese* and had a blast, there's much to look forward to over the next couple years as it gets translated

*I do not know Vietnamese

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Get hype with Chapter 39 of Kengan Asura as we meet all 32 fighters in the tournament :black101:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It went downhill like a motherfucker

have you had that tab open since October?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Demon's Plan has had its debut ranking, coming in at #11 out of 12.

That's not quite guaranteed cancellation, but it's a bad start, obviously. 2016 saw six manga debut rank in the double-digits, two of which improved and live (Kimetsu no Yaiba, Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san), four of which stayed in the double-digits and were quickly canceled (Buddy Strike, Love Rush!, Red Sprite, Takuan and Batsu's Daily Demon Diary). Amalgam of Distortion and Spring Weapon No. 1 will go first, but Demon's Plan needs to do better to last long past them.

EDIT: That's actually seven manga in 2016 which debuted in the double-digits, not six. Forgot to count Amalgam of Distortion among them, which technically counts among the still-living, but will certainly be canceled any issue now.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 20, 2017

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Allarion posted:

Hungry Marie is probably the one I'll look out for since it's from Beelzebub author

:same:

Jose posted:

they're all going to get cancelled

Only 2-3 new series survive each year. So at least half are dead for sure.

Ore Golazo had its first ranking this issue: #14 of 15. :rip:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Kuroyama posted:

Jump isn't gonna have another year like 2008 (2009?) for a while.

Got me curious so I looked it up:

WSJ Class of 2008 had 5 graduates: Psyren (lasted to 2010), Nurarihyon no Mago (2012), Toriko (2016), Bakuman (2012), Inumarudashi (2012)
2009 had 4: Kuroko's Basketball (lasted to 2014), Beelzebub (2014), Medaka Box (2013), Hokenshitsu no Shinigami (2011)

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Fabricated posted:

When did Kimetsu no Yaiba start? I'm trying to think of a battle shounen that has survived since Bleach ended.

Kimetsu no Yaiba started February 2016; Bleach ended August 2016. Six manga have started serialization since Bleach ended; two are already dead and the other four will soon join them.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is doing well as it approaches one year of serialization. It was a moderate success in 2016, with an average rank of 7.2. So far in 2017 it's hit 2nd twice, which is a new high, plus it got a second cover/lead color. I haven't seen much discussion of it here, but I may need to give it a shot.

Jose posted:

it sure is good that a naruto spin off continues instead of letting some other series have a go

Since every chapter of Boruto gets a color page, it never gets ranked, so I have no idea how popular it is. But I guess it has to be popular or they wouldn't keep it around...

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Mikl posted:

What about Isobe Isobee Monogatari? Every time I read the Jump TOC it's at the very bottom, and yet it's been going for what, years now? Why hasn't it been axed yet?

From MAL:

quote:

Isobe Isobee Monogatari was originally a one-shot manga published in Shounen Jump in May (#26, 27) to fill in a slot vacated by the suspension of One Piece at that time; however, due to the tremendous amount of positive feedback it received, the manga got serialized.

From Shounen Jump 2015 #11 onwards, the series was placed at the end of the magazine and no longer participates in the ranking system.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Mikl posted:

Also lol, right now you have two series that have been running since the late '90s (One Piece and HunterxHunter, though "running" is not really true in the latter case), one that's been running since 2003 (Gintama), and all the others are from 2012 at the earliest.

The number of WSJ veterans has been cut in half from this time last year, when Toriko (2008), Bleach (2001), and Kochikame (1976) were all still running. Now Haikyuu!! is the 4th-oldest series in Jump, and it's hitting its 5-year anniversary in a month.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
It's Chapter 76 of We Never Learn.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
It's Chapter 77 of We Never Learn.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I can't believe I'm Mineta now.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holy poo poo the number of characters just loving quadrupled.

Don't expect any of them to get, like, character arcs.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Brought To You By posted:

Man, was Nanami driving angry as hell this chapter of JJK. I actually felt bad for sword hand dude.

Check out Chapter 100 of Jujutsu Kaisen for a hell of an asskicking.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Moriking

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Ytlaya posted:

Vaguely related to this thread (wasn't sure where else to ask) but has Mangadex been loading really slowly for anyone else? For a while now it's been painfully slow, so the point where it takes 20-30 seconds to load a single page a lot of the time. My internet itself is fine and has no problems with other websites.

From the front page: "In order to address the explosion in volume of users on the site, we will be upgrading the database, which has loads of >100% during peak times. Therefore the site will be unavailable for up to 4 hours starting tomorrow (27/04/2020) at 1700 UTC. If everything goes according to plan, the downtime will be a lot shorter than 4 hours."

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

I've been having a hard time following Jujutsu Kaisen recently... can't remember who half these characters are or what they do.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Mulderman posted:

New series on Mangaplus.

Monster #8
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007603

Made by Naoya Matsumoto who was an assistant to the mangaka who did Psyren.

Great art and a really neat concept.
I suggest checking it out!

Man, I'm way behind on this franchise. Do I need to have read Monster 2-7 first?

edit: Ok, I went ahead and read it. Hell of a genre shift from the original, but this is promising!

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 22, 2020

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Time Paradox Ghostwriter is done.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1298555732078604288

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Kingtheninja posted:

I really love mashle. It gives me that "luffy punching the celestial dragon" vibe every other chapter.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Fabricated posted:

Latest chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen. :negative:

ok I know this looks bad, but her head didn't fully explode... there's a chance she survives this with a badass eyepatch & scar, right? :pray:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

muscles like this! posted:

A little worried that Moriking might be heading to a cancellation with the rush to endgame. I think the series is fun.

Moriking always gets a sensible chuckle out of me, but it's definitely on its way out.

Jujutsu Kaisen:

Manatee Cannon posted:

considering that guy mentioned treating kugisaki and said she's only "probably" dead, I think there's a good chance she's alive and makes it through this

I believe in Eyepatch Nobara.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I went through a death game phase a few years back, and Alice in Borderlands was one of the best, for all the aforementioned reasons. Had no idea there was a sequel, I'll check that out.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Love to see Junji Ito in my shonen battle series.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ended up blowing through this, imo it was very enjoyable for quite a while but then gotta kinda really yikes toward the back end of what's out. Secretary or w/e lady being told to just let the MC beat her so he can go ahead and calm down got a real cringe out of me

Maria has some extremely good Gremlin Ranna from Rokudou energy, tho

Had a similar experience after just completing a binge of Fight Class 3. It was a pretty fun fighting series; good art, action, characters. I especially enjoyed how many great female fighters there were, and how they were treated as legitimate combatants; I can think of few other series with such good mixed-gender fights. But, from around Chapter 75 on, the original school setting and cast has been almost completely dropped in favor of this new tunnel setting and cast, and the protagonist has undergone a sudden total personality shift to 'psycho', all of which has been a major downgrade. I'm hoping this new direction doesn't last much longer, it's a real shame.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Volume 0 of Jujutsu Kaisen has been added to the Shonen Jump/Viz vault!

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Elusive Samurai has my interest! Good art, unconventional protagonist, funny priest. This was basically all prologue, so I'm curious to see what it looks like chapter-to-chapter. Reminds me that I need to go back and finish AssClass.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's that volume sales are much more important than rankings/the ToC

Yes. Phantom Seer's first volume, for example, is selling very well, despite being in the back of the ToC.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
:bignews:
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1377066170398994432?s=21
This had a good one-shot, if I recall

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I had no expectations for Candy Flurry and wasn't sold on the first couple chapters, but some fun characters have been added to the cast and it's showing some promise.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I loved Beelzebub. It sucks that it got rushed to an ending and he hasn't gotten a good hit since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I like The Hunters Guild: Red Hood's attitude. Had no expectations for it (didn't read the one-shot) and it was a pleasant surprise. Pretty nice art, interesting themes. It has potential.

i tell c is done, as expected. The previous arc with the art thief was pretty fun, but otherwise the series was a bit of a mess. The most interesting thing about the ending is seeing how it wrapped things up in comparison to other series that get the axe early: in this case, chalk one up in the "our adventures continue" column as it didn't offer any resolution to the ongoing plot. That might be the road Nine Dragons' Ball Parade takes too; we'll find out soon.

What else...
The Elusive Samurai has really come into its own lately.
Mashle remain uninteresting whenever Mash isn't on screen.
Witch Watch funny.
I'm getting the feeling Blue Box isn't going to be spending much time at all on the sports matches. Which doesn't bother me much, it's the romantic dramedy elements that are compelling.
Few series are quite as reliable as Sakamoto Days for delivering badass full-page spreads every issue.