Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Don't know if it's been mentioned or not but of the recent anime adaptations being revealed; an adaptation of Kazuhiro Fujita's "Karakuri Circus" has been announced. It's going to be handled by Studio Voln (who adapted Ushio & Tora). As of now all we have is a PV consisting of manga panels and the voice actors have not been announced although there are auditions for the role of Masaru Saiga going on.

Here's hoping for a good adaptation, and maybe someone will pick up the manga translations either on an official capacity, or picking up where the previous scanlator dropped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

and I was not a fan of polygamy pillar
This statement is the opposite of Flamboyant. But I really did like Chad Ninja after he got some more characterization. His first appearance with the other pillars made me think he was just some jerk, but then I realized he was actually a cool dude with a lot of respect for both his job and the lives of his comrades.

In general I agree that Kimetsu starts off very bland, it arguably is still a very generic shonen but a combination of the art and characters makes it interesting to read despite that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I agree about David not working well as an antagonist. Sinbad was a much better and more interesting antagonist, in my opinion, and I really liked the whole idea of having the final thematic conflict being between him and Alibaba, rather than David/Aladdin.

Honestly Sinbad was a drag on the series when he became the full on villain and the reason my interest in the series tanked when we went into the final arc.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jorenko posted:

Silver Spoon 127! Quality dadmom content again this week. Unfortunately it seems we're back on haitus after this.

I would gladly watch Predator vs Brown Bear vs Mom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

So is this actually supposed to be new or just Fairy Tail time skip 3: Kids Edition?
For some reason I think Fairy Tail had 3 time skips already in the manga but either way I left after the first one and never looked back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

King Golf and Dan-Doh kinda succeeded there.
I want to say that part of this is because they are in different magazines. Outside of Haikyuu and maybe a sumo manga I don't remember a sports series really thriving in Weekly Shonen Jump as of recent. Sesuji wo pin got a decent run and that's the last one I can think of. Surprising that Dance Sport got as much love as it did in recent years.

quote:

What's really a death sentence is trying to do soccer in Weekly Shonen Jump after Tsubasa
RIP Shudan, at least Yokota had another project he could work on.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

IceBorg posted:

FT greatest moment was the moment in the final arc where Mashima had a character whose magic only affected people who had sex just so we could finally see who was a virgin in that series.

All series need something like that tbh.
I'm sorry what?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nalin posted:

It really happened. Chapter 508.

:cripes: You know, one of the things I noticed before I dropped the series. And even afterwards based on images and comments floating around was just how hard Mashima leaned into fan service and related stuff with Fairy Tail. But I don't even know how to describe this, just feels outright stupid as a plot device in a series about wizards punching each other.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, medaka box was trash until it reinvented itself several times

Those are some strong words and I respectfully disagree, I actually got less interested during the later arcs with the freshmaker and grooms.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I actually quite like Jujutsu. I can imagine it being a good ~100-150 chapter shounen, with the pace its on.
And I quite like the artstyle l, rough patches and all. The artist has shown they can flex their style hard when they need to.
For a very transparent discount NarutoxBleach it's pretty good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Orient wrapped up its intro and established the aim of the story.

But its straight up weird that in a story with a Musashi and a Kojiro its Kojiro who is the unsure slacker type.

Not sure if I'll keep up with this one really. Magi had a strong start but Orient isn't really gripping me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

How far did you read?

All of the currently translated chapters, it just feels really generic with it's setup and Musashi himself isn't that interesting of a main character combat scythe aside.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
PV for Karakuri Circus came out a week ago. I'm honestly excited for this show since it's an amazing manga series, the studio and author have been working together to hammer out what is going into it (unfortunately some plot lines have to be cut to fit the budget but Fujita is making the decisions on that), and this trailer shows they got some good voice talent for the three main characters.

Between this and Thunderbolt Fantasy this fall is going to be filled with puppets.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

there is another fairly dark series starting https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/tokyo-metropolitan-magic-technical-school/en/0/1/page/1

is jujutsu kaisen still doing well or what?

Not sure how well its doing but given it got a spinoff so quickly at the very least the magazine is promoting it heavily. Was a decent first chapter too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Last panel looks like Zoro, Hawkeye Mihawk, Natsu, and Luffy at the same time and it bothers me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

new Jujutsu Kaisen https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/22/page/1

hopefully it ends up ion shonen jump because the scans are erratic enough i forget what happens

I hope salaryman Shaman doesn't have to put in too much overtime.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'll be amazed if he's still alive within the next few chapters

That is my fear because we just had Kakashi own a grudge. So it feels like it's time to have someone do the job.
And conveniently a literal salaryman shows up

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulderman posted:

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/79/page/1
We never learn

I summon up the powers of the God Hand!

I was expecting some dream sequence with dragon kicks and chain yankers. This is an acceptable substitute.
also I should probably read this from the beginning because I have no idea who anyone is

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We have three chapters of Jujutsu Kaisen today.
Salaryman survives to clock in for another shift. His overtime ability does remind me a bit of how nen powers work in HxH which was cool, getting more powerful if you've been on the job too long is a nice ability.

Then we get pure suffering with Junpei because he finally met someone to share in his love for obscure movies only for his mom to get Nom'd and now he's going down a very dangerous road

One thing I don't necessarily like about this series is that it feels almost like chapters or pages are missing sometimes. Had to go back and re-read parts of this arc and it's like a record skipping in the middle of a track.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of Jujutsu, we have two more chapters. The first which features a fight and some much needed kindness. The second which features a really funny joke. The punchline being humanity and friendship. :unsmigghh:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

We're back on the clock boys.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's been a long-rear end time, but a new chapter of birdmen is finally out. https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/birdmen/en/9/44/page/1

predictably, it is good.

Yellow really loves that incredibly ominous face shading, especially for Takayama. The seven wings is also a neat hook although what gathering them all together means begs the question of the origins of the Birdmen because the biblical allusions are hard to ignore

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think Jujutsu is still missing "something" to really make it a standout series. Kind of like how I feel about Kimetsu as well, they are both good series, but also the first series from both authors and it feels like they are a bit too rote to really be memorable but still have strong character moments and good action.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
To be fair Inosuke is really annoying and one note, but he grew on me over time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I fell off of UQ Holder around the time they introduced the girl that could use save points. Was that the video game immortal or did we ever get someone that has a stock/Life system as well? Was really interested in the ideas of multiple forms of immortality co-existing in the same setting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

The character with literal video game extra lives (complete with having invincibility frames upon resurrection) is someone else.

You wouldn't happen to know what chapter they show up would you? I can't say any of Ken's stories have ever been one I could finish (meandering plots is his forte) but I-frame dark souls immortal sounds like the kind of thing I would pop my head in to see.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ok, so he has smash bros invulnerability. That's really cool and yeah, he's one of the guys from way early on with mermaid guy.

Also the witch of the rift is still a great character, optical illusion tele grab and all. Thanks.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kyte posted:

SQ probably refers to Jump SQ, which is Jump's monthly magazine. That should be a lot better for Ashihara.
Could mean SQ.rise as I think jump SQ or one of its spinoffs was closed down earlier this year.

I just remember that Beet the Vandel Buster and D. Gray man were moved from on SQ to another. And world trigger is another of the hiatus Manga jump had so it kind of makes sense to put it there too as its quarterly and the writers or artists of those other two series also had health complications.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

what shonen had the best magic system in your eyes? kinda like boku no hero's take on powers (though i have so many questions about it).

As far as what makes the "best magic system" it's gotta be one that really makes the story shine for it's presence. I have a couple that fit the bill and since HxH has already been mentioned I'll skip that one.

Beet the Vandel Buster
This is probably one of the earliest manga I picked up and it's been one I've kept a fan of over the years even with a 7+ year hiatus. The premise of the world where humanity is combating a race of monsters called Vandels, who are humanoid creatures that can command lesser monsters and wage war for the sake of some ancient prophecy.
Divine power in Beet is an elemental based magic system (Fire, Wind, Lightning, Water, Light) with the idea that humans channel these elements through the atmosphere and there is a good amount of flexibility in offense/defensive traits to each type so it's not really rock/paper/scissors but applications of the ability that matter. Most humans can only use 1 type, but if you put in the work you can learn more, and at the pinnacle you can even merge them together.
And like I mentioned, Humans conduct divine power through the atmosphere. Vandels have an equivalent power called 'Dark Power' and has all the same elements but replace light with Dark. And they conduct their stuff through the earth. Which leads to some interesting moments like the Main character interrupting a vandel's attack by hitting it as it channels through the earth. Or a vandel employing poisoned moth scales to choke people, restricting their ability to cast divine power.

The other part is the Saiga, a living weapon that a human can manifest when they have sufficient control over their element and it's something that starts to form over time. Saiga have your elemental attribute as a default, it manifests as the preferred weapon of the user (only one type), and being a part of the user if it's damaged it reflects onto you as well. Saiga also have at least two modes; a normal one as well as some transformed secondary mode that might give you a specialized attack or secondary ability. For example: One Saiga is a wind attribute gun that fires air as bullets and effectively has infinite ammo so long as your breathing is in sync with it but stores 6 bullets at a time, it's second form converts it to a sniper rifle that fires a compressed beam of air long distances and was shown to 1-shot a vandel that was fleeing, along with the giant monster he was riding on.

This one is more nostalgia since it's not anything really special on it's own. But it led to some great fights in the manga and it's one of my favorite series out there, glad it finally came off of Hiatus.

Magi
Magi has a pretty complicated magic system because much like Nen it has a lot of fields of specialization and facets to it. In short magic is broken into 8 types with sub-types (Strength, fire, sound, lightning, etc), and used by two broad categories of people; Magicians and Metal Vessels.

Everyone has Magoi, the MP of the story, but only magicians can consciously convert that magoi into any of the magic types. Other people have to settle for using dungeon tools, magical objects found within the ruins of an ancient civilization, or by using Metal Vessels (objects that are possessed by the spirit of a Djinn). Magicians are capable of some amazing stuff but instead of just having them be the largest threat in a confrontation, Metal Vessel users usually shine in that regard.

A metal vessel allows it's user to cast spells of the Djinn's magical affinity as well as giving the user the ability to perform a 'Djinn equip' which alters the users body as they semi-merge with the djinn. Their fighting abilities increase greatly and they can also perform what's called Extreme magic which is some Final Fantasy "I cast meteor" level spell. Djinn equip also has the side effect of turning the user into a playable character in Dynasty Warriors because they can pretty much destroy normal humans and even magicians so long as their Magoi holds out. Metal Vessels can also create what's called a household; which is what happens when the Djinn seeds objects that belong to people loyal to the weilder of the vessel. This gives the household member access to a smaller range of spells and they can also merge with their household item, although this change is more permanent and turns them into monsters.

Magi's magic is great for the series because it really is more than just for combat and flashy moves, it's also used to reinforce the themes of the story. The central idea of magi is the examination of what it means to be a King. So it's no surprise that most of the great leaders in the story are Metal Vessel users as typically those who acquire one go on to create their own country. But even the magician side of things plays out wonderfully in setting up the dichotomy of people born with magical powers and those who aren't and delves into the societal problems that arose from that.

Full Metal Alchemist
Like Magi, FMA's alchemy also works into the overall theme of the story, one of which is the pursuit of truth. Don't think I need to explain what it is, but alchemy and the various styles the different state alchemists, and Alkehesty users go really gave the cast some flavor. And fights like Ed vs Greed went a ways to emphasize that it's not raw power that is the alchemists strength, it's their intelligence and ability to manipulate the forces they have studied. Probably one of the best shonen I've read out there and Alchemy is just super cool both in concept and in execution.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I disagree with this, despite Magi being one of my absolute favorite shounen series (probably #2 behind HxH). I've always considered its combat and "mechanics" of the magic to be its only major weakness, and thought that it would have been almost perfect if it fully exploited the whole elementary variety of metal vessels. Like, there was a lot of potential in its system, but that potential was rarely realized. As a result, the fight scenes generally weren't very interesting.

I'm only speaking of the mechanics, though - the lore behind the magic/vessels was great.

But that's the thing, the magic isn't just the mechanics of combat like it is in stories like Beet or HxH, it's also a component of the lore in a significant way. But as for the fights, mage fights were fun. And I can't agree that metal vessels didn't get the use out of their elemental stuff, especially during the post-magnostadt battles. Time skip is where things also focus on practical applications of magic.

If I had to criticize Ohtaka for anything in her fights it is that towards the end of the pre-time skip stuff there was an overuse of Extreme magic for metal vessel users and her art making following actions somewhat difficult. She really likes to smear people to show them moving fast which is nice, but having a busy background and intricate character designs makes it a pain sometimes to read.

There is a lot more that could be done, and stuff like Dungeon Exploration felt like it got dropped way too early in the main comic, and wasn't as interesting in the prequel either so I agree that there was potential for more to be shown. Really one of my biggest gripes is that Alibaba never gets to have that second conversation with Amon but a lot of things went downhill during the last arc really. But as is I still think its a very realized series of magical tools and principles.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, whoa, Beet is off hiatus? I remember reading a bit of that manga when it was in US Shonen Jump and really liking it, but then finding out it was on perma-hiatus and getting discouraged from checking out the rest.
Yes, it came back two years ago in Jump SQ. Then when that it moved over to Jump SQ crown until that folded and got moved to Jump SQ.rise this year. It's in the same magazine with D. Gray Man and Kekkai Sensen but it's seasonal so only 1 issue every 3 months.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Begemot posted:

The thing that's great about stands is that there is really no system whatsoever. Araki paid some lip service to types and stats and rules in the early days, but at this point anything goes. Anything can have a stand, stands can do absolutely anything, you never know what to expect.

The tree from Part 8 was a great setpiece for an arc and I hope it comes back later.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

From 0 to best character in a few pages. Impressive

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

The greatest sin is that it was not Kongou Banchou that got an anime.

Manime is all but dead.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Isn't Jojo extremely popular though?

We've entered into the post HnK Jojo stuff. Men are still men but now they are more fabulous than ripped. Bruno is still one of my favorite characters though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Suddenly I'm reminded I still haven't beaten P4G.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

So of the Seven birdmen needed for this next step. We have a switchboard operator/Mind controller, and a Megaphone/Amplifier. I can imagine if the end goal is a global birdmen network they would also need someone to help manage the vast amount of information that hundreds of thousands of minds connected together would contain. Maybe that could be two people together.

Really interested in where this is going to go because it's looking like multiple factions are striving for a "Thousand year kingdom" scenario and it's just a matter of who gets to come out on top. I'm also a bit disheartened re-reading through this series that it still hasn't gotten an official english translation. Yellow is a phenomenal mangaka and I want to say Kekkaishi was popoular enough to get both it's manga and anime adapted into multiple languages so the lack of anything Birdmen related out in the west sucks.

Jesus don't throw a flashback in like that. That's how people die immediately afterwards and there were so many death flags that just got tripped.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm convinced the only thing that keeps me coming back to 7 deadly sins is Escanor. I have no idea what is happening, I've missed out on maybe 30 chapters. So many questions fill my head. But that can wait.

Praise the Sun!

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 13, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulva posted:

Also the answer to "Well why don't they just have him fight everyone" is "Ok" and it's great.

He racked up 7/10 wins against the commandments. Can't argue with those results. And the mustache was 100% an improvement to his design. I cannot imagine him clean shaven ever again.

Also, remember that time when Escanor was actually some 60ish year old butler with super powers? Good times

If you haven't give Kongou Banchou a read, it's fun through and through.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

A man murdered on his wedding day was revived because his wife spent the remainder of her life going on a big adventure to gather the magic ingredients she needed to do a dark ritual to bring him back, and now hes going on the same journey to revive her

and it snaps between the two of their perspectives in time and the art design and creatures are gorgeous and its just got a relentless pace and revels in joy and it rules, its not generic at all.

Thats Marry Grave.
That's a hell of a sales pitch. Consider me sold though.

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of generic shounen

This could be some bizarre chrono trigger roster. Genie looks nice. Also elder statue of liberty

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was not expecting to binge the entire comic. This is really good. I actually remember reading the first chapter when it came out and have no idea why I didn't keep up with this. But that cliffhanger.
Even though I was reading it all in one go, it was easy to forget that the wedding day was the day everything went to poo poo. Was a little like Berserk all over again.
It seems like one implication of a betrayer in the city is that Dante is a mole or deep agent for the demons. He's equally unusually trained for someone so young when he met Sawyer, just like Rosalie was. It depends on the nature of this loose end really. Being the dark brooding man doesn't automatically mean he's also a sellout to his species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Nah the mole is probably that cultist that got away. He just led the demons there out of spite.

Then why bother with the line about questioning if the betrayer will reveal himself. Seems to imply that the traitor was someone from within. Which could mean anyone really

Dexo posted:

Rave is great
Rave Master was great when I first read it as a kid. Does not hold up as well during a re-read but still manages to be decent overall.