Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

it might be due to the translation but i'm a big fan of how forthright all the devils in chainsawman are

there's no dissembling or philosophizing with them, it's all "I'M GONNA KILL YOU CUZ YOU MAKE ME MAD" and "I'LL DRINK YOUR BLOOD AND TAKE A NAP" and "THE FUTURE! IS BEST!"
They have an interesting contractor vibe if anyone remembers Darker Than Black (which does actually seem to be a bit of an inspiration for this, or just parallel evolution based on the idea of contracts). This as an aside is why I think Makima is going to be something wildly different than we're expecting. Because she is coming off as a way more complex character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TriffTshngo posted:

chainsawman is loving wild
"The Devilman of Violence" would be a sweet name for Scurll. That design is great anyway.

He's not a plague doctor he'd plague doctored!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

gently caress Chainsawman owns so hard

Kinda starting to remind me a bit of why I liked Claymore

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Meliodas being a huge creep made 7DS an instant non-starter for me.
I mean there's a reason it gets compared to Fairy Tail ya?

7DS is trash so if you're not in the mood for trash it isn't any good. And like Fairy Tail I actively feel like I'm supposed to not remember because the plot is actively contradictory.

Blockhouse posted:

Interesting that after chapters of getting the "Denji has lost his ability to connect with or care about people!" narrative he still protects that woman on the train.
It's so wild that in between looking like a modern Splatterhouse that CSM manages to squeak in a really interesting set of ideas about heroism and emotional connections as a hero. Or something, but poo poo, that manga is real good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man I actually like Samurai 8 but I think the art just clicks with me and the story sucks but the backstory reminds me of Orion which I guess is giving me false hope. The whole princess thing is so insanely Kishimoto at his worst it feels like self-parody. It could only get worse if Ann's dialogue was delivered by a turd that lives in her sleeve.

Oxxidation posted:

denji shrugs off moral and existential crises like raindrops
He's like every stupid gently caress shonen protag except instead of "wow this girl wants to have sex with me, what is sex though?" he feels wrong about it and doesn't. He is actually pretty moral, and actually stupid, and not shonen bullshit stupid where he's an idiot in an orange jump suit but secretly the most hardworking incredible son of Jesus.

He doesn't bleat out he's protecting people because he's just and moral. He just does it. He says why he wants to punish someone and does it.

You're right, it is so lacking in bombastic poo poo or pretension. He's so wonderfully direct. The manga just chainsaws right through all the bullshit that makes shonen a chore to read. Also the flashback in this chapter is something you might have missed, not three pages of a secondary character explaining powers in detail.

I am really enjoying this manga.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well everyone is overshadowed by Escanor that's thematically his thing

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chainsawman really is better written than it has any right to be

Creepy, funny, creepy again and then just weirdly heartwarming

Although they're more and more feeling like Contractors

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't get why people like Escanor so much.

He's just so... boring and one note.
I like him since he's the 'rear end in a top hat Superman' design but his flaws are way more on display. His powers are killing him, they worsen his relationship with others, and for all that power Merlin pretty much ignores him for the entire manga. He really does suffer for his pride, whereas most of the sins I can't even remember what their sin is. But all that power isn't why he's brave, deep down, he's actually a good guy.

Though just to be clear I read sins because it pops on mangastream and I certainly wouldn't say the manga is good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

Did you forget about Merlin's true form?

Yes. I did forget, drat it. What the gently caress is up with the romance in 7DS? poo poo beats out Fairy Tail for creepy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That design hybridizes her design, a bomb/explosives and then shapes it like a xenomorph

The latter might not be intentionally, but either way, totally my poo poo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

that final panel is 100% meant to recall the xenomorph's design
Yeah I badgered a pair of xenomorph loving friends who don't read manga and both agreed.

CSM continues to own

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jim Dwyer posted:

Y'know, Zeldris. The unrepentant mass murderer. Who is the reason the demon king was revived in the first place. Definitely need to save him, because he's family, or something.
7DS feels written with the fairy tail effect in mind, where manga at such a lovely tier of writing is so completely not memorable you forget details like that and just go with moment to moment. I feel like actually re-reading it and plotting it out none of the acts would connect is any working fashion but I ain't reading it again.

That being said it was implied he feels guilty for Zeldris becoming a mass murderer and all the stuff because he shirked his responsibilities as a brother and/or as a war leader. Does that justify his actions? I don't know, he comes off as a repugnant moron (both of them, really) so to me it fits how lovely he is.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hypocrisy posted:

I like Samurai 8 but that might be because I am fascinated by the massive amount of body horror it has.
It's a really weird creative manga that feels both chained to shonen and yet also not shonen enough.

Also the sexism is offputting and completely needless. In fact I think Daruma's master is a lady?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I started reading Bleach recently after knowing only that it falls apart towards the end. About where should I stop reading?
It's completely readable when it isn't week to week. The big issues are pacing, repetitive storylines and lack of pay-off, and the latter kinda came from people imagining the sick and exhausted kubo was going to pull something astounding out of his rear end instead of what we got. Which is a ton of asspulls.Just keep in mind the last three years (if I remember my rumors) Kubo Tite was in pretty poor health. DON'T have a favorite character.

Oh, but if you can't laugh at the really bad moments don't bother. The last arc has astoundingly hilarious scenes that ... Like knowing he was sick, I wonder if they're fever dreams on the page. There's some stuff that is seriously, really funny.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For all my complaining I really enjoyed Bleach. It was a helluva ride. A+ would take the roller coaster again.
Ok so to go back, did you laugh at: Bones are cookies, brain in a jar, "this sword is SO SHARP its defective", Kenpachi just exploding or the awesome sniper character turning into a loving bird that is then battled by a cyborg lieutenant with a hole in his chest?

And I assume everyone laughs at the dude ripping off his own ears or whatever like that bit in the bad DBZ movie.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Nihilarian posted:

Is fairy tail sequel any good

I never finished the original
I've read random chapters and it felt meandering and samey in a worse way than the original

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think one of the things that makes Mashle work so well is the taught instinct from reading shonen where the veil is pulled back and actually the hero is weak as pissy babby and thusfar you feel like it's going to happen (perhaps subconsciously) but nope instead fingers get to snapping. Then Mashle is like "Oh I guess this coin likes me" which is some real good laconic wit. He's just very gunslinger to me. That tension and instant relief of a legitimately good one liner isn't present when the other characters are on screen so much.

And then yeah the "Luffy punches the Celestial dragon" energy is great.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

dogsicle posted:

though it seems like CSM could at least end up with an anime
The spoilers said that the next chapter "has a huge announcement" so I'm assuming it's that, yeah

CSM is really tight top to bottom but I do feel like he kinda lost interest a little around the Gun Fiend and skipped some stuff that felt like it was brewing.

On the other hand there's room for other stories inside the CSM universe so maybe that's what the spoiler is.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think Mashle (at this stage) works because absolutely everyone looks down on him and poo poo talks him. They're super classist towards him in a general way that doesn't feel explicit, and he just dusts himself off and goes to work.

It works extra well for me since I really dislike half of the stuff being lampooned here and love wizards getting punched.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I started reading Undead Unluck like a week ago and just finished catching up, I'm really surprised by how good it is. Fun characters, a unique story, neat power system, I'm looking forward to more
Since you read it more directly and more recently, did it feel kinda jarring going to where it is from where it started?

I really like where it is but I don't feel like recommending the beginning since it's pretty off.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've been waiting for Mashle to go battle shonen mode and I feel like this might be it

The power up sequence is cool though, your eyeball does a blade job!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I liked Mashle but I think I just like how Mashle, as with OPM, just punks out moments like this.

But also I knew it was going shonen battle mode sooner than later.

Lily Catts posted:

Should I read Zombie Powder?
It's a fun little look at a series that didn't make it, yeah.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shadowlyger posted:

Three entire chapters of build-up for the Falcon Knee of Justice. Entirely worth it.
Yeah I went from "gently caress are you for serious" to "gently caress YES" in one panel

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Weirdly enough, I feel like the entrance exam was... okay? It's not too long all things considered, the tactics and the fights are cool, and it sneaks in some worldbuilding. Oh well.
I think the real issue is you're going to like one or the other, mostly, and flipping between the two just killed it. I liked the stuff before the entrance exam, and after, more but... Well whatever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mashle's art improved so much from the start it is kind of incredible

Desperate Character posted:

I don't care what anyone else thinks, Protect Me Shugomaru! had the absolute best chapter this week in Shonen Jump

holy poo poo i can't stop laughing
committed whole hog to the joke too

sorry I'm not gonna look at someone backlit

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The little detail in Mashle where Finn's second line appears on his face as he's powering up is such a viscerally cool little tweak.

Silver2195 posted:

Super Smartphone continues to drop, but it still has the cushion of Aliens Area, Doron Dororon, and Earthchild. With the return of Elusive Samurai, we have a full 21 chapters with only 2 one-shots.
Isn't Doron almost done? The last couple chapters are pure speed run to the ending.

Kinda sad there's neat designs and ideas just being bloooooown right through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like the side characters in Mashle but if you're gonna snake road Mashle out of the plot for months have him hallucinate about fighting super strong cream puffs or something to break up the purestrain shonen.

But I guess we're rushing through to just see what the cast was intended to do before it ends.