Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I like it just because the main character is so goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Is there any on going baseball manga?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The art is iffy in Retired Heroes but its pretty good!!

Meanwhile thanks to the awesome viz subscription I tore through Haikyu! in like 3 days. Working from home in quarantine has given me way more time to consume manga/anime and Viz's sub lets me go after stuff I normally wouldnt like a shonen volleyball manga. I gotta say I enjoyed it a lot, volleyball definitely has a good setting for a shonen sports anime due to the individual skill expression and the teamwork element. I also liked that it definitely didnt outstay its welcome and knew when to end: I think it would have gotten stale if we had followed them through any more high school stuff so I was pleasantly surprised when it skipped all of it! I liked ending it on their first tournament, no need to introduce new 1st years and do more interhighs etc. We get the nice lower level HS tournament stuff, then bam we see what everyone is up to while exploring some beach volleyball differences, and then ending it on a much higher level pro game into the last chapter showing Kageyama/Shoyo/Oikawa again. It was great! Felt like overall the art style was really nice, dialogue and stuff pretty typical shonen fare but not bad, some funny recurring gags. Only thing that was maybe a little mehhh was Tanaka ending up with Kiyoko. I would have liked it more for a character growth thing if he was with no one we knew or the volleyball girl. I don't like it when pushy guys end up with the girl in these mangas even though Tanaka was overall a great guy so hes like the least worst example I can think of (unlike some OTHEr recently ended jump manga *cough* kimetsu no yaiba). And I should say everything else around Kiyoko was great, especially the reveal of her competitive athletic past and her hurdle at nationals.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 7, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I'm glad Roboco got back to normal.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

I didn’t really understand this week’s Jujutsu Kaisen. Sukuna’s domain expansion failed against Mahoraga so he just uses a different technique to one shot it? What?

I think his thing is that he doesn't do the kind of domain expansion we've seen so far, where you put up a barrier, instead its just a wide rear end AOE

edit:
I misunderstood the question, read this one
\/\/

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 31, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't mind it as much as the rest of the thread does but man it doesn't hold a candle to roboco

Yea Roboco is way more dense and consistently funny panel to panel, but I'm not hating HS family. its trivial to read so I'll let it take me on whatever weird ride its trying to do.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Kingtheninja posted:

I really love mashle. It gives me that "luffy punching the celestial dragon" vibe every other chapter.

How come it doesn't get talked up more? I checked it out on a whim after your post and its really funny. The gag is a little one note but its a good gag!!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

It's pretty much Saitama goes to Hogwarts and it works, tbh

Shonen manga that takes the piss at Shonen formula is very amusing to me. I was always a fan of like Naked GUn and poo poo so I guess I just love parody and satire. I'm only up to Chapter 18 on Mashle but there's already been so many funny moments which are making fun of the "big" moments in other mangas. I loved the reveal of the enemy house gang for the BATTLE ARC.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

Latest chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen. :negative:

Do not like, the main 3 characters right now are 2 guys and a girl, if anyone should be dying it should be dog guy.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 11, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Jujutsu question: Can't Sukuna heal Nobara? Didn't he do that for megumi at one point? Give me eye patch Nobara or riot

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Brought To You By posted:

I'm worried for Todo because literally everyone Yuji could possibly care about are making a conga line to Mahito. And as much as I trust the best brother his presence here puts a solid death flag on him. Doubly so because I believe his mentor is currently a brain inside Geto's body so using him for the surprise reveal seems appropriate.
But hey, reinforcements have arrived so maybe Mahito will in fact die?

Well in this very specific instance the right guy is there, as the swap places power is pretty useful when you're facing someone you don't want to touch you. Especially if he can swap with someone who is immune to the touch powers. Please just let this be the end of this fight :( The beginning part of the chapter with Gojo's shirt was so good. Let them all survive !!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

I don't know how I feel yet about Sakomoto. The first and second chapter were pretty fun, but not nearly as fun as MAshle, nor nearly as cure as Magu. I'm not sure if it will be able to build a solid identity to hold my interest. But I'm still on board for now.

The clear art style and above average action direction is carrying it for me right now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I'm usually pretty good at following manga but I seriously don't know what's happening in JJK right now lol

About to wiki whoever those 2 at the end are.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
No one wants to be in charge during a major scandal, OP

Thats true for anything.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Witch Watch is really fun

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
High School Family owns.

I hope Witch Watch is popular, it's really good and the art is great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i like the haikyu reference, and i hope Highschool Family just sticks around forever. Its so dumb but cute. (and i like that everyone acknowledges its weird in universe)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 19, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

9 Dragon balls: Them going after the "average" guy in the background is just perfect. :allears: And apparently the Mangaka received some points because now he actually gives background on some of the numbers and terms he throwing out there. I don't know the first thing about Baseball, so that's very welcome.

As a baseball super fan being able to follow a new baseball manga from the beginning is fun, and so far there hasn't been anything to really complain about! Its doing a great job. The notes have all been pretty accurate!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
There is also like a very easy to understand numerical marker for the pitch count: In the modern game starting pitchers usually throw between 90-120 pitches in a given start, so seeing more pitches lets you get to that limit faster. Non-workhorse starters almost always get taken out at around 100 pitches. For pitchers the average number of pitches per inning is around 15 and they are usually gone by the 6th or 7th inning. Most teams have 2-3 reliable relief pitchers, and then some guys who are really hit or miss. If you get the pitcher out in the 5th inning, you get more shots at those weak guys.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

9 Dragon balls: As a baseball noob, how many players do they need? I wonder if the extra speed is a warning. I hope not. I mean it's not special or anything, but I just love these kids. It had some nice jokes as well this time around.

You need 9 players minimum, which is your 8 fielding positions (C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF) and your pitcher. Generally you would also have potentially a designated hitter who bats for the pitcher, some other pitchers(starters and relievers), and maybe some bench players but I don't know how deep they are going to fill the roster.

TBH I don't think there is any editorial intent here, if you devote like 2-3 chapters for each position with some faffing about it'd take a long time before they actually get to some real games and this manga is going to shine when they can actually play full games.

They still need a centerfielder and a right fielder to complete their position players, sports mangas also usually have some bench players who get to comment on the games and maybe get a heroic entrance at some point. And some other starting pitchers/relievers unless their main guy pitches every game but that'd be slightly unrealistic and this has hewed pretty close to reality so far despite the cartoonish character designs.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
This week's Roboco is incredible. "What a callback!"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Candy Flurry being full of cute but dumb characters is great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I dunno if they actually editorialized 9 dragons or the author panicked but you need a lot of players to actually play baseball and have stakes. it's not like volleyball where you can do 2v2 or basketball . they really needed to get the full team assembled so they can start playing games.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I really like Blue Box, I think the art is really nice and the story is like pretty easy going.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Candy Flurry is really fun, I love how loving stupid everyone is and the candy power conceit is pretty fun.

roboco this week... very powerful gorilla gachi batflip panel

high school family was great this week too, heaps of Gabe!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 14, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

9 dragons balls: Hey, an actual chapter that didn't feel rushed. You know, I think my lack of understanding of baseball got in the way here. Because while I'm invested in the characters I have no idea what's happening to the game. They're 3 down. The ace is doing some special stealing technique despite a special throwing technique? :confused: I do like how he did the same thing Tsurugi did when faced with Ryudo's hardest ball. Just force that fucker with brute force.

The deal with this guy on the opposing team is that he is basically a super star prospect. In high school, the ultra best players that are going to get drafted highly right into pro or go to a top college are usually so much more athletic or talented than their high school peers due to like early growth spurt or good genetics or WHATEVER ands o they're taller/faster/more powerful. They tend to play pitcher, because their arm is just better than their peers so they throw harder, as well as one of the "key positions" like Short Stop and Centerfield because they are more athletic and rangey compared to their peers. They also tend to hit at the top of the order and be very good. So you'll have a high school pitcher who throws like a 1 ERA (doesnt give up many runs) and strikes out tons of people while also batting .400-.500+ (very good in baseball and average that high doesnt happen in proball). They also play good defense.

These are kids so its all about the slight differences in strength and stuff that comes with being a prodigy. It CAN look as unstoppable as this guy. He basically throws hard and has multiple pitches. Most high schools have 1 pitch thats actually any good and maybe some others they throw which need work. Then batting wise he is really strong so he can muscle pitches out. And he is fast enough that he can steal bases. In the chapter he stole on the Dragon Ball battery because the pitcher takes too long to get rid of the ball (you can safely start running once the pitcher starts to throw) and the catcher nerd has a weak arm. The catcher, in order to stop stolen bases, would likely do stuff like call a pitch out where the pitcher very quickly throws directly to the catcher outside of the batters reach so he can throw as soon as possible to second base or call high fastballs that are easy to catch and easy to throw to 2nd. In this chapter he doesnt get a chance to do that so the guy is stealing off his weak arm + the long stride of the pitcher. In the majors, pitchers will throw over to 1st to deter stealing or try for a pick off and may go to a slide step where they dont use their full wind up and try to release the ball quickly towards home. you usually lose some speed off your fastball when you do that.

Finally, the idea of these guys who are like carrying the entire team in all facets of the game can be absurd BUT THERE IS AN ACTUAL PLAYER IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES DOING THIS RIGHT NOW. He is a japanese phenom named Shohei Ohtani and he is currently close to the top of the pitchers statistics as a starting pitcher for the Angels and on his non-pitching days he also hits and plays the outfield and is tied for the league lead in home runs. He is so loving cool. There is also a mets pitcher named Jacob de Grom who does not bat on his offdays but when he hits as a pitcher in the NL he does very well so he is currently hitting .400 in ~25 PA with more runs batted in for himself than runs GIVEN UP as a pitcher.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

cisneros posted:

Neru feels like some really old manga someone suddenly decided to scanlate

I really like it so far, I like the character designs and they do look pretty old school. It has some nice interesting paneling and I liked the humor in the chapter.

This weeks high school family was great too. I just love how leaned in to the premise they are. Don't have typical parent-child arguments here!! Great HxH ref too

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 12, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Witch Watch :ohdear:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Lily Catts posted:

Apparently Look Back is influenced by the Kyoto Animation arson tragedy? A fan mailed Fujimoto saying he inspired them to become an animator, said person went to KyoAni and perished in the fire, so these feelings are real...

no way if that's true that's loving gut wrenching

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
They never should have cancelled zombie powder.

As for the current titles they shouldnt cancel anything I read.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The thing about Candy Flurry is that all of the characters are very dumb, and very cute. Even the bad guys.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
hell yea, 10000 new characters, 1000000 new shikais, 10000000000000 new bankais

edit: God the lore of soul society is so good and continues to be incredibly hosed up, they sentence their captains to hell!!! hilarious

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 6, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Is it really out of the ordinary for high schoolers to be guarded about their feelings? I don't recall being very forward to any of my crushes 😩

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Candy Flurry cant die after this... cmon... a lollipop Mecha...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
JJK's strongest chapter in a while was Maki running through the Zenin household, and the most recent stuff before and after that has just been whatever (I'm still not sold on this stupid death game) IMO.

Sakamoto kicks rear end. I think the character modeling on it is really good everyone looks nice and distinct and weird and the author's shown a pretty deft hand at quickly sketching out characters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I think JJK messed up by introducing a tournament/HxH-esque game and then noodled around for a bunch of chapters. This chapter it felt relevant because the characters were discussing ways to break the rules and out smart the contest, which is always half the fun of these dumb arbitrarily ruled games. If the game had just started the previous chapter you'd get the initial rush of "ok there's going to be a tournament-ish arc, lets see where this goes!" and then follow that up with the characters immediately strategerizing and trying to be clever.

Might be a writing misstep or maybe it all reads fine once its over, but I think sticking closer to convention would have been better for this particular plot. Also the rules of the contest were so obviously bad for the good guy heroes that you know they'd have to either introduce dozens of fodder bad guys or have them find some way to out clever it, which isn't a great design in a manga where the characters cleverness usually just extends to how they punch people.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i think chainsaw man should get an anime and it should release right now. Where is it Mappa :argh:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Sakamoto was very hell yea today, it's so we'll drawn actionwise.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

doomrider7 posted:

Finished catching up on Dandadan. So...we're all in agreement that it's awesome and wod look batshit insane and awesome animated right?

The art style is super clean and very dynamic in the actions and poses of the characters, and the story is interesting. It's top tier. Maybe a little too horny if there is anything bad to say about it.

I think the premise and dynamism of the art style just elevate it above any of it's cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Is Red Hood gone for sure or is this just speculation based on the insane exposition dumps the past 2 chapters so it can wrap up by chapter 20 and get 2 volumes out?