Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Seven Deadly Sins has to be one of the most squandered concepts ever since the One Shot was actually really good and quite promising looking. But then we got this loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth TNT posted:

What's Horikoshi known for?

It was okay yes, I do at least like the villain faced good guy. The girl has a pretty neat design as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fabricated posted:

The latest series debut in Jump is about 4 boys who get stranded on an inhabitable planet and are presumably the only remaining humans. Then a space god appears and gives them a medicine that will magically turn one of them into a girl so they can propagate the species.

I find it amusing that the other three immediately start doting on the effeminate looking one soon after the deity gives them the potion making it quite clear what the plan is. Same for the dick to boobs ratio. There's a sort of Grand Blue level of stupid terribleness to them all doing that.

And yeah, no way this isn't getting loving canned and/or ended within ten chapters. The art nice though.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 8, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Question, given that Quintuplets and We Never Learn will likely end next year(confirmed for Quintuplets) it made me think, what was the last major romcom to hit it big that wasn't a harem or had a VERY OBVIOUS lead and best girl the protagonist was gonna pair up with?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mirage posted:

Pseudo Harem. :v:

But yeah, Kaguya definitely. Also Senryuu Shoujo and the Sono Bisque Doll cosplay one, though "hitting it big" may not quite fit that one yet.

Would have said Komi-San Can't Communicate for the first hundred chapters or so, but recently, uhhhh :tugs collar:

Love both of those and agree. A lot of these made me think that it's been quite a while since we had a "regular" romcom or harem series of this type where there's an obvious girl from the get go and it's just how we get there, they're day to day interactions, or them making it to the end game after all the usual romcom hazards.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
In Komi-San I don't mind it quite as much since it's made clear that the relationship as friends shared between Manbagi and Komi is just as if not MORE important that the romantic relationship they'd share with Tadano. Like, this has to have been the most we've seen Komi verbalize her feelings in the entire series.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
From the Quintuplet thread.

Paracelsus posted:

If the childhood friend is the first new girl to be introduced into the MC's life, they will win, just the same as the first alien/goddess/party member/slave to do the same. If the childhood friend was already present in the MC's life, they will lose, because the story is about the new girl's relationship with the MC. If the childhood friend is introduced after the first new girl, the CF will lose just like all the other best girls. That's just how it works.

After some thought, make of this what you will.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 23, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ethiser posted:

We're going to have to break out some PhD level harem math to figure this one out. The initial two girls were already in his class so they aren't technically "new" and Uruka was still always going to school with him and was never "new" so she's out. So the only two options left to him are sensei and tiny sempei since they were actually new people who weren't part of his life before the story started. We always have to remove the actually correct answer which eliminate sensei so by process of elimination tiny sempei has to win.

Edit: I went back to verify my information and it looks like tiny sempei might have been the first to put the idea of Yuiga becoming a teacher in his head so that's worth a ton a points.

I've never liked sensei pairings unless that's the point of the story. Like, I know that harems are blatant wish fulfillment by their sheer nature and thus not realistic in the slightest, but something about her being considered for end girl muh less being in the harem AT ALL just completely breaks almost all of my willing suspension of disbelief.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ethiser posted:

I agree 100%, you're high school teacher should never be a real romantic option. I just really like their relationship outside of any romantic aspects and was also fudging the numbers so tiny sempai could win.

It just makes no sense since assuming sensei is in her mid to late 20's, it would mean that she's either never dated anyone or shown any romantic interest in anyone from HS to now until she met Yuiga which for an adult is a really hard sell. Like I can't not think about how it is possible that she has no interactions with other adult staff that might lead to romance, no the only interaction is with her student and thus potential romance. Even by the usual romcom standards it feels unrealistic. Yes I overthink poo poo a lot. It's why I'm generally TERRIBLE with these types of shows since I instantly feel depressed and awful for the girls who didn't win unless there was "silver medal" already in place to "Pair the Spares" with in a way that made sense.

As for pairings, I like Uruka and if she's gonna go overseas I'd have no issue with it if it's played like in Ultra Maniac where he promises to wait for her and the last chapter/chapters are her coming back or something. Would be a nice little bow to wrap things with.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

Tsutsui is just rubbing it in at this point

I've always found stuff like that to be kind of gross and mean spirited. It's I've started moving away from most harem romcoms.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I look askance at the very premise of the genre in the first place

That monster secrets manga would've been vastly better without the harem aspect that caused me to drop the series. If it had just been the guy and the vampire plus their quirky friends I'd have liked it far more

What was the harem angle in that one since I started it ages ago and l put in the backburner but forgot to return.

Fabricated posted:

Harem romcom series seem made to make big swaths of their fanbase mad because if no one wins everyone gets mad, and most of your fanbase gets mad if anyone wins.

This actually goes into another point I was gonna say in that people get less mad if everyone gets a happy ending of some kind usually via "Pair the Spares" which in turn brings up the issue that the female leads seem to have very few if any social interactions with friends or people not the MC, family, or other potential harem. Vampire and Komi get a pass since their lack of social interactions and friends is the point of the story and the issue being remedied if you will.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

The problem with harem romcoms is I want them all to be happy but nobody has yet had the guts to do it.

Edit: I think Umi no Misaki ended like that. Can't remember if there was a harem rivalry, but in that one the winner was set in stone right from the get go and never really indulged the idea of deviating

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 25, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'd say the real big problem is that they never give the female leads any characters to really interact with. They fall for the lead guy because he frankly seems to be the ONLY guy they interact with(outside of family that is). Komi I wouldn't peg as a harem to be honest since the lead isn't surrounded by girls. Something like Ah My Goddess is very much a harem albeit one where there was always a clear definite winner since the intro chapter.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is exactly why We Never Learn is the best one.

Yuiga is basically the only guy they interact with so it does stumble there, but the girls are all such good friends with each other. That is part of what is gonna make the conclusion so painful.

It would be SIGNIFICANTLY less painful if they had been given more characters to interact with and whatnot since there'd be some implied side ships is my point with that one.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

The only way to have a good solution that makes everyone happy (without a long timeskip or something) is for the author to be willing to set the other characters up with other people, and they're almost always unwilling to do this because it would hurt the ego of the readers (who are self-inserting in the protagonist) if the girl fell in love with someone else. Sometimes they'll do a thing where the loser girl(s) goes "things may not have worked out, but I'm still happy" and that may be better than the "silently pining forever" option, but it's still lame. But there's not really any other option, since the very concept of the "harem" genre exists as a sort of wish fulfillment thing.

The best form for these things to exist in is probably something like We Never Learn where there is a stronger focus on comedy than romance, because the format is fundamentally deeply flawed if someone is looking for a serious romance. This is also why We Never Learn is better than Quintuplets - it's more of a comedy than a drama, while Quintuplets leans more to the latter (though it's still pretty good as far as these things go and has its share of comedy).

So basically Tenchi is the Alpha and Omega of harem anime with Grand Blue Dreaming as it's apostle.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 26, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dunno if I'd call that one a harem to be honest since it6clear from the get go that they're gonna hook up at some point and neither show any real interest in other people.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Clarste posted:

I mean, I don't mean that as a deep insult to the people who like it, and it's certainly comfy enough, but sometimes people talk about it being well-written or put down other harems in the same breath and that confuses me a little.

THAT would be something I wouldn't get either.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Carlosologist posted:

I liked Nisekoi but I agree that the endgame was obvious from the beginning

now Domestic Girlfriend, that's a loving series. I read that whole thing yesterday and it was something else

I generally don't mind the at and actually prefer it, but only in the circumstances that the narrative doesn't try to pretend otherwise by heavily teasing other ships when the endgame is already clear.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

Tenchi Muyo! is one of those weird things like Evangelion in that it's had a whole lot of imitators that copy some of the surface elements but completely miss most of the things that make it unique and weird.

Totally agree about the outfits especially the Tenchi Muyo ones. On that note, what would you say were the things that made Tenchi Muyo unique and weird in that specific way that imitator miss?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mirage posted:

Back to WNL for a moment, but the last five minutes of the final episode of the anime not only did a gigantic time skip from the fireworks festival to the end of the manga, but very strongly indicates that the girl he held hands with when the firework went off was ... ~~****Uruka****~~. This has of course set off a huge shitstorm in the fandom. The mangaka has been cagey online, only saying that he loved the anime and he would do his best going forward ... pretty much what you'd expect.

It makes sense, since the manga is really close to ending and they knew there wasn't much chance for a third cour of the anime, so they wanted closure. But 80% of the fandom is now trying to convince themselves that it was an anime-only ending.

Even if it was anime only I'll take it. Either way, it's a canon version that exists so it's there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ethiser posted:

She’s going to say she’s just telling him for herself since she’s going abroad and push him towards the other two.

Ugh, I hate stuff like that since it implies that long distance relationships can't work even within the context of wish-fulfilment which is BS.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is probably it and it's gonna break my heart. I'm a Furuhashi supporter to the end but I don't want to see Uruka get hurt.

hosed up to hear about the anime time skip though. I get it if a third season wasn't likely but it still sucks to skip content and potentially get an anime only ending. I thought we'd moved past those.

And that is why I'm ok with the anime ending with Uruka winning. Let the nice, genki, tomboyish, childhood friend win for God's sake.

Endorph posted:

Anime only endings arent a bad thing really

:hai:

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 30, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chumbler posted:

I mean long distance relationships aren't easy so it's not particularly unrealistic. I think they'd still be about the same time zone though because she's going to Australia I think, which would make things a little easier.

If it's WAAAY far then yeah. But given that both Hawaii and Australia are fairly popular summer vacation spots in Japan it's a harder sell since there's not much stopping them from seeing each other on holidays. To add to Mulderman's comment, it also adds a layer of guilt in that even if he picks another girl, he now knows it's at the emotional expense of someone else and that REALLY loving sucks to know.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth TNT posted:

I hope this won't go the way I fear it will :(
Fumino usually solved everything by talking.

Zipman meanwhile confused me a little. I feel like I missed a chapter somehow. Art was good though.

Agravity boys continues to be Agravity boys. At least we confirmed the higher being is just a dick

What fear is that? I'm hoping for an Uruka ending like in the anime

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth TNT posted:

I worry that we'll spend a few chapter with everyone being angry at each other. On of the things I like best about this manga is how everyone solves their issues by just talking about it and usually the instigator of that is Fumino. Her now being the possible focus of an argument makes that troublesome.

There's no way those 2 have a shot.

Fumino shouldn't kill steal though. Yuiga is Takemoto's kill.

There was a spoiler for Quints that was loving groan worthy as well. Why do these authors always inject so much cheap drama just as things seem to actually settle down?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

What's the spoiler?

Turns out that I tsuki DOES have feelings for Fuutaro and only realized it when it was too late so new angst.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

We Never Learn is really good and Uruka should win.

Agreed. Just loving have the nice athletic genki girl who likes the MC and is shown having a positive impact on him since far back be the one who loving wins this.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mirage posted:

B-b-but Uruka's GOING TO AUSTRALIA and she's gonna BE AN OLYMPIAN and you can't have a personal life while doing that! Professional athletes never have boyfriends! It's unheard of!

--people who REALLY want Fumino or Sensei to win (i.e., most of Reddit)

She can still go to Australia and do all those things and they can just do the same thing that happened in Ultra Maniac with him waiting for her.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

We Never Learn 147

This sucks this sucks this sucks balls.

Why?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Year of the Childhood Best Friend!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mikl posted:

We Never Learn

YEAAAAAA BOYYYYYYYY

I'm so proud of all these dumb idiot babies :3:

MASSIVE amounts of salt and references to other romcoms with shaded salt over at Mangadex.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Ignoring how racist that poo poo is, does Korea not having tanned people or understand how tanning works? Like WTF?!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Relin posted:

tanned skin is associated with being poor, uneducated, doing manual labor in the sun etc. (along with the usual racism)

i think its weird people like tanned skin because its just skin damage, personally

I've always associated it with country living and athletics in the context of anime and manga that or the tropics(am from the Caribbean and can attest it's no uncommon to be tanned often). That said, I can see where you're coming from about the skin damage.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mirage posted:

The WNL rumor is that every ending will branch off from the fireworks chapter, showing each result as if each girl was the handholding one.

Some folks are further speculating that each ending will get a full volume's worth of chapters. I think that's wishful thinking, but who knows.

In any case, Tsutsui is a crazy person and I hope it works.

I hope that this is true, and that the final ending is the screen going black and then showing that it was all a dating sim someone was playing all along.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I find it odd that we went from Uruka to being the preferred pairing and best girl around these parts or at least the most popular to end with Nariyuki, to now her being less considered for it. Sensei just feels incredibly weird since it basically means that sensei had an unrequited crush on her teacher since she was in HS and never really seemed to move on from it til she gets the hots for said teachers son several years later which is legitimately both kind of creepy and sad.

Either just have the end you made with Uruka and maybe a time-skip of some kind of everyone moving on with their lives, or the ultimate trolling like I said where it all turns out to have been a dating sim game like I said which actually seems more likely now. Alternatively just give him a full on Tenchi harem and call it a day.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe the author wanted to finish it but was told to keep going?

either way the constant ending fakeouts were insane

It apparently was one of the highest grossing franchises for 2019 and seems to make "gently caress you" money for Kodansha so that may be a possibility.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If anything is to be praised about Bleach its the art.
Its really clean, well defined lines, and how Kubo does harsh lighting is all really really good and belies a deep appreciation for the format his work will end up in.

Bleach was specifically done to look stunning in tankobon format with pristine white pages.

If I recall, that was one of the most harshly criticized things about him was his art. Incredible illustrator and character artist and designer, but unremarkable backgrounds especially when compared to his generational contemporaries Oda and Kishimoto.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

While the ratings were on the lower side, BLEACH was still doing well in sales- but it also came out like a year after it ended that Kubo was doing really poorly health-wise. A lot of people suspected that editors just got sick of Kubo dragging his feet with the story, but in hindsight it's much more likely that Kubo was slowly dying from overwork and the editors decided to pull the plug for his own sake, and that's why Kubo rushed the ending.

Y not both?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

Because things that get canceled generally don't end with an immediate announcement of a live-action movie and a smartphone game and all the other Bleach merchandise we've had since now and then

Just because it got canned, doesn't mean you can't milk it and as badas it got, it was still a money maker for WSJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ConanThe3rd posted:

(BTAS) That was Batman pretending to be Killer Croc tho

He actually does try that later on in another episode