Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

toanoradian posted:

One of my favourite series is Konjiki no Gash, which is somehow transliterated into my language as 'Gouache'. I liked it mostly because the guy really knows how to jerk my tears and the fights (until the last arc) had been creative and entertaining. So on that note, there's an extra chapter, set after the ending! It's short and sweet, though it makes me wish the series didn't end the way it does.

Boy I'm glad I clicked this thread and glanced at some replies, or else I wouldn't have seen an extra Gash Bell chapter. It's still about as shonen as shonen can shonen, but eh, so what. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not sure where to put this, but it's marked as shounen, so I suppose this is where it belongs.

Been reading this pretty new series called Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa which looks to be shaping up to be mostly high school shenanigans and harem hijinx. It's pretty inoffensive and doesn't seem like it'll really tread any spectacular new ground and likely won't go super deep into plot stuff in favor of comedy stuff, though the class rep being a thumb-sized alien who pilots a "giant" robot version of herself is pretty amusing, as well as the Ranma-esque werewolf. I think it's amusing enough and thought I'd share, there's not really any absurd fanservice or anything so far(though one of the newer characters revels in it), it's mostly just goofiness. I find it just fun to see what the new gimmicks are, or gag versions of monsters weaknesses such as vampires getting really harsh tans when exposed to sunlight and such.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, right, I thought it might go there but hadn't checked since it was marked shounen on Kissmanga. Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh boy, new Plug-In Girl!

edit: um, :stare::stare::stare:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 15, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please don't make me read Linebarrels of Iron :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is Sgt frog even still a thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The important question is, is it stupid in a good way or bad way?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Plug-In Girl is apparently ending in a few chapters, which makes all the setup it had for an expanded world dissipate in a puff of failure. What a wet fart of a series. Great art and designs but not much else!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:pwn:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

icantfindaname posted:

Looks good to me
Nah she's got some :downs:-eyes going on there

Look at the left eye, then the right eye and you'll see it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ICFAN never jokes around

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

jwang posted:

That reminds me: does anyone know a good shounen series that actually have decent romance without the harem shenanigans?
You should probably be reading Truthism

It kinda appears to be a harem manga at first with the female to male ratio, but honestly it's way more honest than harem series are.

It's also genuinely funny for a manga, most manga aren't really humorous but damned if Truthism isn't hilarious in its absurdity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did it kill One Piece for you too, because he used a timeskip to avoid a training arc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cake Attack posted:

that is also a dumb manga

post manga and i will tell you if they're dumb

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568801

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Three new chapters of Tsukai no Yome! Haven't read'em yet but I can only hope they're as good as chapters 1-10.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bushmeister posted:

It is incredibly dumb, probably right up there on the level of the magical girl apocalypse manga

I don't know what you're talking about, Magical Girls of the End is a masterpiece of high fiction

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

do you like huge tits because if so fairy tail is for you
YET ANOTHER thing they stole from One Piece. UGH

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, the ending to the Lafalle arc is pretty god drat great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spirit Circle isn't really shonen, is it? Seems like it deals with a lot more serious stuff than your average shonen. Also, a fair amount of pretty significant gore and dismemberment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

you generally seem to have really good taste in manga
Lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My adtrw approval rating is in the toilet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But what if I am hating a hater, does that count

I am all about the love, let me link you to my Shojo thread post history. ..

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sure it is, that's just not your reading style.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zatch bell is outstanding, best example of generic yet great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because he is a crazy person

He probably holds a grudge against fma because hohenheim was a lovely dad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can set your watch to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well uh, huh. Gan-Kon started getting (very badly) scanlated again, and I didn't really expect it to get quite so dark. Huge spoiler from the latest scanlated chapter: http://i.imgur.com/dib5xSN.jpg

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe you should so you look less like a chode, nutsucker

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Magus Bride. Probably one of the more zen-like chapters of anything I've read in a while. Lots of great imagery too, this series is very pretty. Also melancholic and hopeful.

I really like the Earth Dragon's design. What amounts to a stegosaurus-rhino-anklyosaur, with the sage advice of a, well, sage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, Gan-Kon very clearly got cancelled, as it wrapped up what was going to be a no doubt final or semi-final arc in 3 chapters, resulting in an ending so rushed you could set it to yakety sax. A shame, it was pretty fun for a battle romance series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Today is the most enjoyable day

Yotsuba/Yanda slapfights are my favorite thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really, really like Rin. It's such a fun series, even if it falls back on some cliches(such as in that chapter, even if the author made the best of it) occasionally. I like the characters, I like the art, and the story's fun too. Some twists are contrived at times but mostly it's pretty good about explaining things rationally. I like both Honda and Rin as characters from two different worlds, and it's interesting to see the forced choices here. That Fushimi has earned his way up through perseverance, hard work, creativity, and imagination rather than riding along on innate talent makes it much more interesting to read the manga-making sections too, and everything to do with his family, especially his sister's illness, hits way too close to home and brought me to tears a few times. It's rare that a manga or comic will display a person's slow physical breakdown from a debilitating disease that is truly palpable instead of just Coughing Up Blood Disease, and his sister is an awesome character despite not getting that much page time compared to everyone else.

It manages to be fun, and sad, and dramatic, and hilarious, all while looking good and flowing smoothly. The supernatural aspect, while a bit of a deus ex machina to move the plot along at times, never really felt too forced outside of the island story. Rin's a definite pro-click story. That it's a shonen about someone not bound to a school of some sort is pretty interesting as well.

Are we up to date on scanlations for it, or are we way behind, does anyone know?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahahaha jesus that's a lot, way more than I expected. Is Rin monthly or weekly, or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zatch Bell is probably one of the more underrated shonen. It uses all of the tropes, ALL OF THEM, but it does so well and is a fun, passionate story throughout. That it ended the way it did was kinda refreshing as well.

The artwork can be pretty bad at times but when it counts, he nails it. And he's like, the master of two-page giant creature spreads.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now if only they'd offer something like that for One Piece

Especially if it was the color edition of One Piece

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New chapter of Rin.

I kinda wish his manga-within-a-manga was real. It's got a neat premise as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Ancient Magus Bride.

This one's a real relaxing, melancholy backstory about Silky. I really like this series for the way it depicts supernatural creatures in places other than Japan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Rin. I really enjoyed how the decision between the two girls had been kept fairly ambiguous this entire time, I could absolutely have seen him going with either of them. But now it seems like the choice has been made, or perhaps Lu is wrong! And I really like the way the Yatagarasu guy is represented. Just a dude in a suit, with some baggy sweats and a big loving smug bird mascot head on

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Exactly. I also really like Rin because it's basically like reading multiple manga at once, you get the story about Fushimi, and then you also get the pretty great story about hunting down the Polycoriac Man in multiple realities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you read the latest chapter? It's been hinted at since, yeah.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is Lu-san a possible choice?
If only :allears: