Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Larryb posted:

I’ll probably wind up watching both then.

Also is this a Yu Yu Hakusho situation where parts of the manga were a bit iffy but were thankfully toned down or removed entirely by the anime adaptation or are the two more or less equal in this case?
HxH is imo the best shounen manga. I think only peak one piece and peak Jojo compare with it. It's really incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That level of wordiness only happens in the very last (unfinished) arc and that page is specifically infamous. In general HxH is wordier than most shounen but not by a crazy amount.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I wasn't that into that fight either. It didn't feel like Hisoka/Chrollo were actually trying to kill each other (something HxH fights tend to convey very well) despite all the bystander death. Just lacked something, hard to say.

Boat is fun but I don't expect to ever get something on chimera ant's level again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

last ~30 chapters of Jojo4 > Chimera Ant > Impel Down

That's my top 3. It took me so long to come around to chimera ant at the time because for a while it felt like it was actually going to kill the manga but in the end he pulled it off and reading it all again now it's just incredible.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you gave up on food wars number 311 is probably still worth reading. It's the one where you find out about Soma's mom, and was looks like something the author came up with at the start of the story.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Manga authors dont make much unless they get a mega hit. A big perma series takes them from scraping by to multi-millionaire. Even if the author doesnt enjoy doing it it's just too rewarding to not do if you get the chance.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Since there's no weekly manga chapters to discuss at the moment, now is as good a time as any to post our general essays about shonen manga. Here goes:

Top 10 terrible tropes in modern shonen battle manga:
"He's good at gathering people around him"

I was actually upset when One Piece dropped this line recently. It's just pointless but every shounen these days seems to require someone to explicitly point this out.

Despite my many complaints about OP compared to what I consider its peak it's unreal how committed Oda has been to it for 20 years. Any normal human would have lost their mind by now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 3, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I knew someone was going to bring up the one moment in a full war arc that was funny.

Like I said, I have limited experience. I'm just going off of what I read which involved an endless fight against Crocodile, an endless dull fight against Enel (though I did love the whole "why can't I hurt you!" angle, really refreshing to have a big scary and powerful villain be completely powerless against the main), and a part of the Kaido fight.
I think a lot of OP fights go overlong but Oda is very committed to keeping gags all over the place all the time for the vast proportion of most arcs. You read three of the ten or so long fights in the manga (the others being Don Krieg, Arlong, Lucci, Oz (a less serious fight in general), Hody, Doflamingo, Katakuri), so yeah you got fights. But all ten of those fights combined probably take up less than 10% of the manga, the rest is so gag-heavy readers can't even parse it all.

The most serious arcs in the manga are imo all pre-timeskip (Arlong Park, Saobody, Marineford).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 4, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A lot of shonen manga have a few things they want to convey and use manga cliches as glue to fill out characterization and content and connect plot pieces that are actually interesting. I read 100 chapters of Black clover and it appeared to be made entirely out of glue, though some of the characters are fun enough despite that (like the BB commander).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 9, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gambling Emperor Zero is Fukumoto doing something that feels more like Liar Game than Kaiji does (ie main character is a super genius), but isnt as serious as either kaiji or LG. I love GEZ part 1 but he hasnt worked on the series after part 2.

One outs has a lot of similarities with "death gamble" manga (but its about baseball).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 2, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Well it’s still better than when he didn’t skewer Ryusei when he started introducing money and poo poo.
I stopped reading the chapter they introduced dessert and currency to the world. Maybe will go back and finish it some day.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not even picking it up until I know fulgore and kyanchome are back.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not the only one who sees it, right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

I often call One Piece "The Textbook Shounen", it is really good but also never anything other than a Shounen Manga.
I definitely disagree. The scope of the world in OP is unbelievable, goes so far above and beyond shounen mechanics. Individual arcs can get formulaic but the broader plot is so much more intentional and meticulous than shounen ever was supposed to be. (Zatch Bell is to me the platonic shounen as well)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 23, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Apparently there was some talk online going on about the "under 19 club" last year for series cancelled before they hit 19 issues. Maybe WSJ didnt like the meme and they want earthchild to hit 20 issues before cancellation.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Zeon's such a straightforward shonen villain but he's so good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

I know at least a few shonen authors have made long term plans that they carried through, especially in shorter runs. For example, Tatsuki Fujimoto explained the names of some of his characters in a way that confirmed he knew how things would end with them from the start.
Yeah - having a few late game things planned from the start but not knowing how you'll get there is super shonen. The most obvious recent one I remember is the super late reveal about soma's mom in shokugeki no soma that was about 10x better than the chapters before or after it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you do give up on soma chapter 311 is a good chapter that can stand on its own and was clearly planned from day 1 so it's worth it.

(Mimasaka was definitely my favorite character, hacking the shokugeki format was such an ideal villain power)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

latest pppppp chapter kinda reminds me of when naruto threw out its theme of the protag being just some guy that got good through hard work to claim he was secretly ninja jesus this whole time

oh, lucky was the most genius of all from the start but he has split personality disorder or something? okay then
That was never naruto's theme...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Naruto terrified everyone because he had an invincible animal inside of him. Hard work saves his soul and earns him the respect of the village, it isn't the source of his chakra.

Kishi makes this as clear as possible early on when he puts the genius of hard work vs the worst person in the world and hard work loses.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 20, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't think any amount of work in Naruto World can make you catch up to innate talent. Rock Lee basically exits the story after his loss to Gaara, his memorable scene being to cry when he sees that Sasuke is a genius of HW+T. The entire point of the zombie war was to justify the hard work of the chakra-impaired. The attempted message in naruto on that topic is that hard work is worth it even if you can't ever catch up to godly talent though maybe draw the line at popping out eyeballs.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 21, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Neji is a super hard worker. The fight is about beating Neji so that he stops believing in his destiny (although in the end he does in fact die protecting Hinata... one of the cruelties of the story).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 21, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like having a new series in WSJ must be one of the most incredibly stressful job experiences

Just dreading the possibility of being cancelled, and then being told what's happening in a meeting (or however they notify the authors).

It must be even worse if it's your second or third time, like that one guy who did both Red Sprite and Iron Knight and had them both cancelled.
The crazy part is this all happens on top of physically drawing for 60+ hours a week. It's not just scary, there is so much straight up labor that has to happen alongside it. Most mangas that start have a ~25 chapter hook to really grip people but then have to figure out what they'll do afterwards when they get lucky and don't get cancelled. And they have to figure this all out while drawing 8+ hours a day. It's just wild, the most extreme form of storytelling possible.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 11, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Alacron posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/a62d8c81-b772-4a2b-b78d-38eab4924607/1

New chapter of Kanchome and Folgore.

God, Kanchome's powers suck so much, it rules.
Goddamn what a chapter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I have never read it I realize. Did it get an English release?
If you find a translation it's really good cant recommend it highly enough. It got crowded out in the US a little because the big 3 was at its peak when it released. But there's stuff in there that's better than anything.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow the translation stopped at volume 25. In the middle of the faudo arc three volumes before Zeon is defeated. What a hosed up place to stop translating.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they've been churning through new series looking for the next big hit. they don't want moderately popular, moderately successful manga. though to be fair, most of the stuff getting the axe is complete garbage.
I kind of get it. Nougami neuro ran for 200 chapters but what's really the point when rear end class was immediately 10x more popular. I enjoy plenty of longer running series that arent explosively popular but it doesnt make a whole lot of business sense in WSJ specifically.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I remember really liking Magi, but I fell off around when they went to the magic school and faced off with dumbledore and scharezade`s... clone?
Wow that was exactly when I lost interest too, I went back and finished it but there's a lot I don't remember. It's an ok series but it has that shounen thing where characters introduced early on become world-historically important because they stick around in the narrative and it feels wrong. Alibaba going from being a guy to the most special human in the world just doesn't suit him imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

(Versus) The humans' plan just succeeded, idk why we're talking like they have no chance. They wont win in a shonen battle but thats probably not where the series is going.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, Ippo is still running?
Yes. It's actually been good for the last 4+ years too I recommend.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Alacron posted:

- Greed Island is easily the worst arc with the worst villains. Bomberguy was very boring and he looked like Egon from The Real Ghostbusters, and I can't remember anything about his partners.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Setting aside what my feelings might have been when I read the first ~18 volumes twenty years ago and then set it down for reasons I forget, when I got around to the 2011 anime a few years ago I was struck by how much I bristled against and in general disliked Gon as a character. He felt almost incongruous with the type of setting established in HxH and I certainly found myself with far less patience for that type of plucky overly optimistic shounen kid protagonist than I would have in the past. However Chimera Ant I feel retroactively snaps a lot of his character into focus in a way that makes a lot of his actions in the past make far more sense and feel more at place in a brutal setting like HxH's world. Doesn't hurt either that he and Killua basically cleanly exited the manga in a way that felt satisfying enough.
I feel like this was pretty clear by Gon's final test in the Hunter's exam. Gon always seemed like a crazy person to me and Killua was much more relatable even when he still had his sadistic streak.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If black clover never came back would anyone notice?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

panko posted:

heed your own words and look elsewhere than the manga magazine marketed mostly towards the underaged for your bounteous 2d fix
you're telling me to read Aiki AGAIN?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SJ has cancelled roughly 80% of series before they hit 26 chapters and has done this since the 80s. They just weren't translated before so you would never see it happening if you weren't in Japan.

https://landofobscusion.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-tangerine-terminator-look-at-shonen.html

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Did his crush ever find out about the body swap? The permanent plotline of keeping that a secret (and trying to make the reader invested in that) was probably the dumbest part of that series.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

In epilogues/sequels:
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo

As part of the main story:
  • Goku
  • Taiyo/Mutsumi

I'm sure there are others, but I'm not thinking of them off the top of my head. Unless Woble calling Kurapica Dada counts?
Half the jojos too.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 5, 2024