Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So, um, which version of FMA should I be watching? I've seen the first chunk of Brotherhood (up to about the point where it breaks off from the original) and it's pretty great, but I've been reading bits and pieces about the original and it sounds... kinda batshit insane but also really dope.

Watch Brotherhood because the original FMA anime turns into Sho Aikawa's usual "poo poo on the characters as much as possible because heroes deserve to suffer" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He's also responsible for the abortion of a show that was Eureka 7: AO, which took two of the most likable protagonists ever in Renton and Eureka (along with one of the most feel-good ending ever) and completely shat on them.

He's a hack writer completely dependent on an awful shtick.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Three of those are terrible :haw:

The problem with Aikawa is that there is no real meaning or lesson behind Aikawa's cruelty other than "gently caress heroes, they're poo poo." It's lovely, spiteful cynicism that puts characters through hell just for the sake of doing it.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 18, 2014

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Any winner that wasn't Yui was a bad call.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It started off fairly interesting and then became just completely and totally mediocre. Or at least that was the general response to the anime. I dunno about the manga or whatever.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sindai posted:

It's kind of eh. Also the manga is still nowhere near caught up with the anime, which was nowhere near finishing the story, so it feels like it could be a decade or more before it's complete considering it's monthly.

Yeah, I remember some time back going "Oh, I haven't checked in on the manga in a while and want to see what's happened beyond the anime" and then enjoying some big time disappointment upon finding out just how far ahead the anime was.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's basically Good Friendship Instigator and the only thing he ever consciously uses the effect for is to try to not get beat up.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh no....Marry Grave has already been cancelled. Chapter 52 was the last chapter. That sucks.

Oh godddamnit :(

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I really, really enjoyed this first chapter. From what I can gather, this actually started a couple of years ago and JB decided to pick it up, so I want to assume it maintains quality if it was decided to start on it at this point.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I for one think it's loving hilarious

It is absolutely loving hilarious.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MHA has had the problem of both not being particular interesting to me and making some very questionable narrative choices; issues that have been heavily compounded by it sharing reading space with perhaps one of the strongest periods One Piece has ever had (with occasional appearances by an a loving great HxH arc).

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

dogsicle posted:

i read mha out of inertia like most wsj things

yaiba and chainsawman are the only things i really feel compelled to read

yeah yaiba is loving great and easily hangs with One Piece for me, largely because it's extremely good at hitting its emotional notes

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sounds like you just got weary following a 21 year old series tbh. I cant agree with any of that, and in general WCI and Wano have been incredibly well received. Even tbp, the dude who spent literal years complaining about every single chapter, has loved these two arcs.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gonna continue pouring one out for Marry Grave

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

souma and bleach's endings both felt like the culmination of a bunch of bad decisions over the course of several years, but they were bad in different ways

like souma's more insulting on a character level but bleach hadn't had real characters in years

yeah if i had to put it one way it'd be that while bleach just kind of ended on a fart, souma's last leg was just so insulting that it ruined any lingering good will toward the product.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Glad that WSJ immediately killed what goodwill it had from firing the Act-Age guy by giving the Toriko dude a new series but hey I guess that's what being friends with Oda buys you

I think they gave it to him because he's the Toriko dude

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tosk posted:

I have an offering for this thread!

Fight Class 3 is a (black and white, manga-page style) manwha! It's a battle manwha with a pretty typical shonen protagonist, but in which the story gains momentum in other directions after a point, and I find it extremely good. I want to avoid any form of spoilers for anyone who reads, but I gobbled it up in a solid day of reading and I'm going to be paying close attention to its release schedule now.

Ended up blowing through this, imo it was very enjoyable for quite a while but then gotta kinda really yikes toward the back end of what's out. Secretary or w/e lady being told to just let the MC beat her so he can go ahead and calm down got a real cringe out of me

Maria has some extremely good Gremlin Ranna from Rokudou energy, tho

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I did forget to comment that Yeo Eun-Sol is extremely good which, yeah, makes the shift to the tunnel even worse

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 20, 2021

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think my general opinion is that i dont necesarrily object to the idea but the execution has gone incredibly overboard in ways actively detrimental to my enjoyment

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I disagree with the comparison someone made between Maria and Ranna from Rokudou, though; Ranna is portrayed as genuinely being some sort of bizarre demon person outside of the influence of Rokudou's ability, while Maria obviously has an actual personality and forms some degree of actual bonds with people, even if her trauma and goals take precedence.

To be clear I just meant that they go into the same little weird gremlin mode.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Larryb posted:

So having finally finished Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time I was curious, is Hunter X Hunter any good? If so, should I watch the 1999 anime, the 2011 anime, or just read the manga?

It's fantastic, and 2011 anime

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I love the narrator in Chimera Ant and wouldn't trade it for anything

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

There have been 3 chapters of Ragna Crimson fresh out the oven.
gently caress! guess I'm joining gimme the GOD drat candy in the Starlia riots. loving Chad Thundercock shows up and ruins everything.

this is loving bullshit

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My week is consistently made better by One Piece being in it :)

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

One piece (from my limited exposure) seems to have been hit by this hard as well.

One Piece is loving constantly doing goofy poo poo lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'm genuinely kind of shook in way I didn't think I could be that One Piece is doing the "Luffy gets knocked off the battle stage with the big bad and now has to presumably climb back up" like Skypiea again. I'm close to thinking that OP is just kind of bad now rather than something I've grown kind of bored with, I've held out for about as long as I've been able to take.

It's you.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think that it's just more noticeable since everything is on official apps now instead of at scanlator whim

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I feel like it really needed to do another werewolf hunt as they traveled to take the entrance exam, as a better look at what to expect from those now that Velou could no longer count on his own familiarity with an area and it's people. Idk how effective it would have been but this exam just felt way too early.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh hell yeah something else from the Jigokuraku author

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1011891

Ayashimon's first chapter is out and it loving owns also has a big ol' oof moment

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno Jack poo poo about the Ayashimon author’s last work but I’m super onboard to watch this weird hosed up shonen protagonist find a world where he can live his best life (by brutally massacring demons) and also maybe learn how to do all the cool moves his favorite heroes do for real like the Kamehameha and whatever the move is when Kenshiro implodes a guy real good.

Jigokuraku/Hell's Paradise is really loving good and you should give it a read!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Kimetsu no Yaiba being such a huge mega-hit is so baffling to me. Don't get me wrong, I think its good, but I feel it lacks anything that makes it really stand out. Only explanation I can think of is that Tanjiro is different from most protagonists in the Shounen Jump magazine.

I think it really excelled at its emotional moments in a way no other manga in the magazine other than One Piece manages to do, and did so pretty consistently.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anyway I will genuinely be baffled if Ayashimon gets axed. I feel like it's done pretty much everything right that a new manga can do in terms of early structure; it has fun characters, some great gags, good fights, and I find the syndicate interesting. Just very much a "what the gently caress" for me if it's doing so poorly it gets cancelled.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

this loving sucks

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

chefscientist posted:

loving sucks, but also I could honestly imagine this artist being hampered by being in Jump when Jump+ probably suits them better. On top of that I think a lot was made out of the elements that were present so far, but on the other hand I don't think Ayashimon had that much room to grow and develop. It is possible to get a good amount into making a story and realize there's just not many places for it to go after all.

I can kind of agree with this but at the same time I also wonder if it might be due in part to the author feeling like they had to rush poo poo (for apparently good reason).

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah when I think "squandered at the start", I think Red Hood. Not Ayashimon, which consistently did the right things early in terms of introduction and progression.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't think it was remotely possible for it to end well where it was.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

And it executed its formula fabulously

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I just don't understand why Ayashimon was a priority to shove out the door over some other poo poo tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ayashimon died so Aliens Area could...die.