Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fairly uneventful chapter this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Finally a capture arc again

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://mangafox.me/manga/the_world_god_only_knows/v28/c232/1.html

Shiori and Tsukiyo chapter in the present-time!

EDIT: That chapter was painfully adorable.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 22, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Huh. Was that an alternate beginning or something? Art style is distinctively different, and Elsea looks a lot older.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Artificer posted:

Huh. Was that an alternate beginning or something? Art style is distinctively different, and Elsea looks a lot older.

Mangafox also has the original one-shot that the current manga evolved out of, I'm guessing you ended up on that page instead?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - http://mangafox.me/manga/the_world_god_only_knows/v28/c232/1.html

Shiori and Tsukiyo chapter in the present-time!

EDIT: That chapter was painfully adorable.

books do not work that way shiori

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

"Those who had the talk" "Those who haven't" :laffo: I don't care if this was the original intent or the translation but the double entendre is brilliant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was pretty amusing. "H... Hello..."

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://www.mangareader.net/the-world-god-only-knows/233

Keima continues to have only one trick in his bag - kiss his enemies into submission. But as Bruce Lee said, "I fear not the man who has practised ten thousand kicks once, but the man who has practised one kick ten thousand times."

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 29, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The perfect combination, a new capture target and :twentyfour:.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Of course it's a new capture target, when all you have is an extraordinary ability to make girls fall in love with you (hammer) everything's a capture target (nail). :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh, it's Keima just having giant brass balls again. Well, certainly makes up for what he's wearing.

Defending champions setting timers are always going to end up running them out, just wait and see :colbert:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Chin up, Elsie, you had it right! You were almost helpful! :unsmith:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I love how Keima knows he has exactly one useful skill and is willing to milk it for all its worth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is gonna be hilarious if Urara and Kaori shows on the present time trying to 'rekindle' their relationships with Keima in front of the godesses :haw:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
And with the horrifying consequence of having the misconception he's either an alien explorer or a cheeky young crossdresser.

vvv You are making me very nervous about how much Yui will be animated next month. :smith:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 30, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

And with the horrifying consequence of having the misconception he's either an alien explorer or a cheeky young crossdresser.

He is a cheeky young crossdresser though. I mean, she doesn't know what his plan is exactly, but it's pretty clear he has one, and is willing to crossdress for it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://blog.wakakitamiki.coolblog.jp/?eid=1311103

Translator on /a/ posted:

Ranks 20 to 16:
20: Jun Nagase (18 votes)
18: Sumire Uemoto and Nanaka Haibara (21 votes)
17: Mio Aoyama (26 votes)
16: Minerva (28 votes)

Ranks 15 to 11:
15: Kusunoki Kasuga (35 votes)
14: Apollo (36 votes)
13: Minami Ikoma (51 votes)
12: Yui Goidou (57 votes)
11: Diana (83 votes)

Now for the top 10:
10: Tsukiyo Kujou (85 votes)
9: Trap Keima (90 votes, including 6 otes for the past arc version)
8: Chihiro Kosaka (114 votes)
6: Elsie de Lute Irma (176 votes, including 2 votes for the child version in the OVA)
6: Tenri AYukawa (176 votes, including (4 votes for the past arc version)
5: Shiori Shiomiya (199 votes)
4: Ayumi Takahara (200 votes)
3: Keima Katsuragi (201 votes, including 4 votes for the past arc version and 2 votes for the body-swapped version)
2: Haqua du Lot Herminium (221 votes)
1: Kanon Nakagawa (230 votes, including 2 votes for the child version in the OVA)

Next up will be two lotteries: one for the top 10 to decide 4 winners for the message papers and another one for the ones ranked 11 to 20 to decide one winner for the last message paper. Wakaki said they would be held soon.

As usual, the Japanese make the wrong choices.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Rodyle posted:

http://blog.wakakitamiki.coolblog.jp/?eid=1311103

As usual, the Japanese make the wrong choices.

Kanon at number one justifies all the irrational irritation I have had with Japan. Christ, she's done all of one thing in the series and that was to be struck with a near fatal injury. I shake my head at Haqua too, but at least she's done something and had some character traits sketched out.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

cafel posted:

Kanon at number one justifies all the irrational irritation I have had with Japan. Christ, she's done all of one thing in the series and that was to be struck with a near fatal injury.

Maybe so, but she's got a large number of character songs and spin-off content and usually appears on color spreads/covers. I admit I don't know what order this came in, but Wakaki seems to be pushing her.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Yui, Kusunoki, and Jun being low is pretty ridiculous :|

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kanon is complete garbage in every arc save her very first one where she was kind of funny.

It should be Keima>Yui>Mari>Crossdresser Keima>Haqua>the rest.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think this ranking was actually done just right. The numbers were just accidentally reversed from bottom to top. :smuggo:

Kanonchat:

I don't know if chicken came before egg came before chicken, but Kanon's apparent popularity really had a lot of engineering and manufactured resources put into it, from my ignorant impressions. That's how I rationalize her being at the top.

In no chronological order, there's Wakaki pushing her as a somewhat unique character concept for this day and age, there's Manglobe pouring much of their budget into animating her initial arc complete with performances and insert songs, and from then on I think the non-3D idol allure somehow perpetuated itself from there.

I'm not really down on her as much as I could be, though--her sales do keep TWGOK animation somewhat alive (albeit in hyper-condensed form) for now, it seems. At least until that stupid spin-off happens.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sonata Mused posted:

Yui, Kusunoki, and Jun being low is pretty ridiculous :|

Rodyle posted:

Kanon is complete garbage in every arc save her very first one where she was kind of funny.

It should be Keima>Yui>Mari>Crossdresser Keima>Haqua>the rest.

I find the lack of Chihiro in your lists disappointing.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

chumbler posted:

I find the lack of Chihiro in your lists disappointing.

Chihiro is so great she transcends lists.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 234

I think the only thing that would've been a more useless threat to Keima would be "I'll make you play games!"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

What's the pun about Kaori's terrible personality, or is it just Kaori = scent?

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Okay someone's gotta tell me what a "Mistress of a Western House" is to the Japanese. Particularly the "Western" part. Do they mean Osaka? China? Virginia? Someone help me out here.

AnacondaHL posted:

What's the pun about Kaori's terrible personality, or is it just Kaori = scent?

Probably that. One of the kanji for her name is "香" which means aroma/fragrance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Western almost certainly means "European" in this context. A European-style house would refer to the architecture, as in anything not traditionally Japanese.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Clarste posted:

Western almost certainly means "European" in this context. A European-style house would refer to the architecture, as in anything not traditionally Japanese.
If that's the case then I guess the next question is, when does this sort of thing appear in the games he's been playing?? (I mean I can kind of see the Doctor one if it's a school nurse or something, if not for the pipe part, I'd think smoking would be a no no.. regardless of where, what kind of Doctors are allowed to smoke on the job??) Followed by, what difference does it make what kind of house it is?

It makes a bit more sense if by "mistress" they mean "young mistress," you know, someone more like Yui and not a literal mistress, but figuring out what they really mean would probably mean digging up the raws and- :unsmigghh:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Zogundar posted:

If that's the case then I guess the next question is, when does this sort of thing appear in the games he's been playing?? (I mean I can kind of see the Doctor one if it's a school nurse or something, if not for the pipe part, I'd think smoking would be a no no.. regardless of where, what kind of Doctors are allowed to smoke on the job??) Followed by, what difference does it make what kind of house it is?

It makes a bit more sense if by "mistress" they mean "young mistress," you know, someone more like Yui and not a literal mistress, but figuring out what they really mean would probably mean digging up the raws and- :unsmigghh:

I just assumed he meant the female head of the household. That's what would make sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zogundar posted:

They're not on the job 100% of the time, are they? Anyway, the way I imagine such a character is basically the same as Hinoki. An "adult" who looks down on you as a kid and doesn't take you seriously as a love interest. She's in control of her career, her emotions, and her life. Back in that arc he was making a big deal of bringing them to the same level, but ultimately he failed to woo her and had to rely on her connection to her sister. S-rank difficulty. Smoking is just symbolic of adulthood, and a pipe is more playful than a cigarette. I wouldn't take the doctor part too literally either.

As for the second, I think comparing it to Yui basically explains why he emphasizes "Western". An "Eastern" equivalent would be soft-spoken and submissive, like Yui was originally. Because those are considered traditional Eastern values. By contrast a Western mistress of the house is expected to be domineering, bossy, and maybe a bit sadistic. Keep in mind that we're on the "queen" scale.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zogundar posted:

It's probably the snobbish foreigner girl of a high class family cliche, if I had to guess, though that character type might fall under princess or queen. Or you could go with a dirtier mindset and it's referring to a brothel mistress type, a la sexually mature older woman cliche who's usually in charge of younger girls, in which case Keima's been playing some hardcore stuff. The smoking Doctor is a fairly common cliche though, even already exists in the form of Keima's teacher already (the one who has some connection to Hell somehow).

EDIT: Clarste defined it better, but that's probably what it is.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Zogundar posted:

Don't know about the Western Mistress bit, but strong/predatory female doctor/scientist who smokes is a decently common archetype in anime stuff. They're not related to school settings so much, usually they run a clinic. Often they practice Chinese medicine for an excuse to have them in the Chinese style dresses, the pipe thing plays into this. I don't play dating sims, so I'm not exactly sure how they'd work in a game setting, but they are an anime/manga thing.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nate RFB posted:

Chapter 234

I think the only thing that would've been a more useless threat to Keima would be "I'll make you play games!"

Useless threats, she's acting out physically to regain some perceived sense of control. I call explicit character revelation shenanigans, stupid closed-eye characters, hey look, now I'm narrating this comic!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Allarion posted:

It's probably the snobbish foreigner girl of a high class family cliche, if I had to guess, though that character type might fall under princess or queen. Or you could go with a dirtier mindset and it's referring to a brothel mistress type, a la sexually mature older woman cliche who's usually in charge of younger girls, in which case Keima's been playing some hardcore stuff. The smoking Doctor is a fairly common cliche though, even already exists in the form of Keima's teacher already (the one who has some connection to Hell somehow).

EDIT: Clarste defined it better, but that's probably what it is.

Oh, he's certainly talking about the kind of character out of a Hardcore Eroge. After all, he did say that he wasn't interested on the Slave ending.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Still not very happy they skipped the Yui Arc in the new Anime. Though I guess they really wanted to get to the Goddess Arc. Still does look promising though.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Dexo posted:

Still not very happy they skipped the Yui Arc in the new Anime. Though I guess they really wanted to get to the Goddess Arc. Still does look promising though.
It's out already? I thought these things weren't coming out until the 9th for some reason.

also:

FFS :bang:
Goddamn, it kills me that there are shows that crap out endless filler due to lack of content, and this one has plenty of content to keep it going for a good amount of time and they are completely squandering it. :tizzy:

Just how much are they skipping?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zogundar posted:

It's out already? I thought these things weren't coming out until the 9th for some reason.

also:

FFS :bang:
Goddamn, it kills me that there are shows that crap out endless filler due to lack of content, and this one has plenty of content to keep it going for a good amount of time and they are completely squandering it. :tizzy:

Just how much are they skipping?

Everything from the Tsukiyo arc (chapter 43) through the Akari arc (chapter 113).

So about 70 chapters. There are a few bits that were done in OVAs, so its a little less than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jonjonaug posted:

Everything from the Tsukiyo arc (chapter 43) through the Akari arc (chapter 113).

So about 70 chapters. There are a few bits that were done in OVAs, so its a little less than that.

But that stretch covers two of the Goddess hosts (Tsukiyo and Yui). Are they planning to cut Tsukiyo and Yui from the Goddess arc as well?

• Locked thread