Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The World God Only Knows is a Romantic Comedy manga by Tamiki Wakaki serialized in Weekly Shounen Sunday. It stars Keima Katsuragi, who is able to capture the heart of any girl he wishes. His ability to swoon is so profound and so famous he is known as the "Capturing God" online. Of course, all of this only applies to 2D video game girls.

Keima, who despises the "real" world, is more than content to live his life in the world of games. Unfortunately for him his services are solicited by a devil named Elcea "Elsie" de Rux Ima, whose organization has duped Keima into a contract to capture runaway spirits. The spirits, who hide themselves in the hearts of girls, can be extracted if the target's heart is filled with love. Keima would love to ditch this arrangement, but if he fails to fulfill his end of the contract he'll literally lose his head. Being the resourceful pragmatist that he is, Keima sets out to utilize his capture skills in the dreadful real world. Along the way he and Elsie will find themselves embroiled in numerous misadventures, as well as some dark conspiracies that could threaten both the human and devil worlds.

It's a pretty funny manga with nice art, a good cast, and a surprisingly large-scale story. It has even delivered quite well on drama. Really, the manga just does a lot of things really well.

LAST TIME ON TWGOK: We wrapped up a pretty solid capturing arc with Urara, and then a pretty dumb magical girl Kanon spin-off that everyone will probably forget about it. A third anime season has also been green-lit, which is cool because surprisingly the anime adaptions thus far have been excellent. Probably still not going to make it to Yui though :(

Though maybe all of this is pointless, because we can of course already see the ending...

Old Thread

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was there a break this week?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised this manga went this long without making that pun before.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God some of those pages were hysterical. Also I like how this is literally a plan almost lifted straight out of a Visual Novel.

RatHat posted:

I really don't understand how Dokuro's orb plan even worked but whatever.
It seemed to basically be a reversal of causality. The future where Keima had already saved everyone is not actually connected to any past. So now Keima has to fill in the blanks to make them connect.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Krinkle posted:

If you're going to be vague about which one why even spoiler it? (which one are you thinking about it sounds like a few but not quite)

ohhhhhh okay. Now I know. Nevermind.
Yeah, those ones are probably the most obvious. But it's a fairly common "gameplay" gimmick though; a way to treat something with multiple routes in such a way that there's a reason for it to have multiple routes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Einander posted:

I guess the manga really is wrapping up. I don't think you write something like this unless you're near the End end, even to close off a major arc. It's kind of hard to top this plan.
On the other hand, he did pretty much just introduce a new villain as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not sure what there is to be alarmed about, since it could be anything. For all we know this has to happen anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sorry for the double post, but here's Chapter 226.

I have no idea :psyduck:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 227

Still pretty weird but I think I like where this is going. As always, poor poor Elsie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Behold, the strategy of god!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It'd be kind of weird, but could they do the goddess arc now and then re-visit the older arcs in an actual "III" season?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think more than anything else it'd be a nice twist if some of the higher ranked girls were some of the future captures.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hooray, Ayumi is involved.

Oh no, Ayumi is involved :ohdear:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fairly uneventful chapter this time around.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was pretty amusing. "H... Hello..."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The perfect combination, a new capture target and :twentyfour:.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 234

I think the only thing that would've been a more useless threat to Keima would be "I'll make you play games!"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chihiro was also an interesting case where she fell for Keima before any of the Runaway Spirit nonsense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, I don't want to see this ending :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if that reaction was genuine.

Keima doesn't have any more time jumps at his disposal, right?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm more of a fan of Page 1's "Hey, your page is almost up."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it was a mistake to keep Dokuro out of these escapades, but otherwise it's been a pretty fun with how crazy it's gotten.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Petiso posted:

Agreed, the series is still enjoyable but I kinda prefered the "monster of the week" style from before.
With Kaori and Urara, isn't that kind of what this has settled upon? Just this time with a dash of the "main" plot mixed in as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guess that's it for TWGOK. Been fun you guys.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Really should have had them show up a lot sooner. Either this is still what is "supposed to happen" or we could be seeing some nasty BttF repercussions start happening in the present.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I... guess that's a step in the right direction?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 242

Still wondering if this is how things are "supposed to be" or whether we could be seeing some BttF-style repercussions in the future because the timeline is getting messed with. E: Though they could always wipe Tenri's memories afterwards I guess.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 7, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought that WAS the last chance. Oh well. So Keima is going to get Tenri to play the long con? She knew all along what was going on in the present?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, a new chapter already: 246

I definitely feel like this arc has picked up a lot of steam.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No way is that grudge not going to carry over into the present. Probably for the endgame, at least.

This was supposed to be the "Jupiter" arc, wasn't it? The goddesses haven't really been a factor, besides sending him back in time in the first place I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 250

This manga sure does love the cliche of having a character express a realization without revealing what it actually is. Or at least, I can't remember off the top of my head what Keima seems to be remembering on page 17.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was my first thought, but Nikaido would be wearing a collar in the first place because she is Akari's human buddy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it was ever spelled out, just strongly implied.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
She seems to be a copy/clone of Dokuro with the memories of the original but tasked to do ~stuff~ in this time period and able to communicate across time periods if the need arises. But at this point I fully expect there to be more timeline fuckery involved so I doubt she is just going to disappear into the ether.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For my own part I think this theory is still a pretty big stretch and am a little surprised y'all are running with it as if it were an actual explicit "reveal".

E: This page (look at the neck) hardly a definitive response since it was so early in the manga and could be handwaved/retconned/ignored, but it may still bear consideration for the current topic.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 16, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Einander posted:

Oh, it's not definite, but Keima realized something. It was a reveal, we're just not sure exactly what was revealed right now.
It felt more to me like when Tenri told Diana "something" about Keima, which wasn't explained until he went back in time. Basically, I think we need more information. I mean I'm not going to rule it out but there are simpler explanations for that character and, at least at this point of time, thematically it doesn't really make sense to me and would feel a bit forced.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To put it another way, it makes some of the stuff with Akari kind of weird. Why does Nikaido apparently need Akari to use her powers? Why is Akari ranked higher? We've learned very little of that relationship anyway, so again it could be a case of just not having enough information yet, but at face value it seems incongruous. I vaguely remember Nikaido mentioning going to college and such as well, when she should have been on the run from vintage this whole time. But then again Dokuro doesn't seem to really "know" the future, hence why she hedges her bets on whether they will meet again or not. There could be some memory manipulation shenanigans going on as well. Certainly an interesting plot thread either way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Somehow Shiori thinking that she'd die if Ayumi punched her was the most amusing part of all. That or "Gah! No pictures!"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 253

Page 9 is a little weird... Is Lune talking to a human with a collar from Satyr? Kaori, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually I think it's just a weird transition (she goes from holding a phone thing to the chocolate) + the chocolate wrapper covering her neck. Also the SEELE monolith seems to just keep on talking to no one in particular in a few of the panels.

• Locked thread