Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JackMann posted:

They've posted a painted version of Wyrmgear.

Now I feel ok with not including it in my order. The scetch looked better IMHO, and it was still no my cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I thought I bought a bunch of extras, but it was nothing compared to you guys:

Vampire x1 $100
Fire Giants x1 $10
Frost Giants x1 $10
Figure Case x1 $25
Nethyrmaul x1 $25
Kaladrax Reborn x1 $10
C'thulhu x2 $20
Undead Giant x1 $10
Red Dragon x1 $10
Fire Giant Warriors x1 $10

Now that we've seen more sculpts, I'm really happy that I sprung for the undead dragons. I'm planning to use my Bones to make a dungeon crawler for my nephew, he is turning 5 so the softer plastic should be just perfect for him.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm in Sweden and got mine 10 hours ago.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

11 items, but still no sign of a e-mail. The average items/order ratio is climbing quickly, some people must have ordered a bizarre amount of plastic crack.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Argh, it seems I got bumped to the end of the queue because I wanted an extra Mr Bones. Oops :shobon: Still, I'm telling myself I have a few extra weeks of shipping anyway (what's the delay for EU shipping, BTW?).

VVV: This way when they inevitably melt in the courier van, you'll be able to separate them into their own misshapen blobs :v:

It also seems to only be US orders until the end now. I had way fewer lines than what's being sent out this week, and I haven't got an e-mail yet. But with "only" 5000 orders left they should be done in a week or two.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

It better loving not be, given that mine hasn't shipped yet.

I worded that completely wrong. I meant that they seem to have done a single day of non-US shipping last week, and then they saved (at least most) of the non-US orders for later. So we will be processed at the end.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TheLawinator posted:

So, what game do we play with all of these? It wouldn't be hard to stat em up in Song of Blades and Heroes, but are there any other skirmish games that can work with this kinda variety?

I am planning to do a homebrew version of Warhammer Quest. With a gazillion different encounters.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ROW here too, I feel a bit bummed that they didn't post anything through the kickstarter about having troubles with shipping abroad. Then I wouldn't have checked for shipping e-mails.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, it didn't update all day so I guess (I hope) it broke - given that I don't have my shipping note yet. I think they were shipping ~1000 a day last I checked, so hopefully it might all be polished off by friday.

E: yeah confirmed on the big book o'face

"Due to USPS policies, our tracker data is very out of sync. We're going to take it down now. Goodbye tracker! You were fun!"

Still no e-mail, so I guess I'll get mine among the very last ones as well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I haven't received a message either, and according to some guys posting on the Reaper site, the expected ship-off date for those of us ROWers who got left out is creeping into August. Normally I don't care, but it is a bit lovely of Reaper to completely alter the expected shipping without posting updates. It would be one thing if this was just a slight delay, but some people have had their stuff for months now, and we were told a month ago that our stuff was just about to be sent. Well, gently caress us for living abroad, I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

PST posted:

There's a lot of international shipping still to do before the undertakers (well, they said it would be before). Reaper's communication for the US shipping wasn't too bad, but it's been bloody awful ever since they switched over to doing the rest of the world.

Yes, I have still to hear a peep about my order, which sucks now that most people have had theirs for a long time.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm a little pissed off that people can now buy these in stores before I've got mine >.< Before mine have even shipped, even.

Same here. Reaper sure dropped the ball on ROW shipping. Still no e-mail.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Mmm, that too. I'd only vaguely heard of Reaper before I came here, and before Bones was sort of vaguely considering buying some things from them. Then when Bones hit, I did. But now that it's hit, and gone far beyond their deadlines on several occasions for it being delivered, I'm back to 'probably not' again.

Rollercoaster rider.

I'm in the same boat. It's easy for a lot of the US regular customers (who also happened to receive their stuff in June) to say that they have done business with Reaper before, and that they are swell guys who always pull through. But for me (like many ROW backers), this is my first experience of Reaper, and it is an experience that have seen both a lot of gently caress-ups that Reaper is probably not to blame for, and a lot of gently caress-ups that Reaper probably is to blame for. And at every point possible, ROW backers have been pushed further back into the queue, in favour of US backers, be them private or retailer customers.

First, we lost "every third day is ROW packing day". Then, we were told "ok, at least once per week is ROW packing day", which lasted for an entire week before ROW orders were shut down again. Then we were assured that while our orders were going to be packed last, they wouldn't touch the undertaker level before every ordinary order was shipped. Now, most undertaker level backers have had their stuff for a week or more, and I would be very surprised if the normal retailer are not going to get their bones before the ROW orders are shipped. I was not surprised that it would be a lot faster for me to buy the stuff that US backers put up on e-bay, but now I'd be better off if I had put my order from a normal hobby store!

So, previous repeat customers might think that this is not such a big deal, especially if they are in the US (or got lucky) and already have their stuff. But now I'm seeing reports of ROW backers with both fewer and more lines than me receiving their stuff this week, so I guess they have made a third switch of how to pack ROW orders this week, or they are just pulling them out of a hat. It is surprisingly frustrating to see.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 3, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Found on Reaper's forum, sent to one of the international backers:

Delayed again, with no update of course... :(

...wait a moment...

...WHICH AUGUST? :argh:

The kicker (*drumroll*) is that this is a standard answer that all ROW backers who email Reaper gets, just that they tack on another week to the date now and then. But given the few numbers they reported for ROW shippers, there's no way they'll keep the latest estimate either.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I seriously have to wonder what is going on with these ROW orders at the end. Reaper, very long-established good-guys company, runs what is probably still the gold standard for kickstarter management almost three-quarters of a year later, ships out most of the stuff at a pace that is pretty amazing given the sheer ungodly scale of the undertaking, and then... falls down just when they're almost done :psyduck:

Since we now no longer get proper updates, we don't even know how many orders are left. 1500? 150? At least mine is once of them, and not a peep from Reaper.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

You'll get your minis shipped within three weeks. This is a final and immovable date :v:

Speaking of which, yesterday they changed the "first ro second week of august" reply to "definitely before the end of the month". The last scheduled day for delivery is jumping back two weeks every week now! Yay!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Full comment (names redacted):

So, it's OK to string people along with a fake shipping ticker and moving the shipping date god knows how many times, but if we're late to ask for a refund, it's our fault? And the comment about "technically not having to return a thing"... Well Reaper, technically I don't have to be a return customer. And with these kinds of comments you've convinced me not to. Seriously, if you're gonna hold the technicalities over our heads after admittedly finishing 90% of the order, your reputation's gonna go down the drain faster than you can say "Was it really a success?"

Yesterday's Reaper posts pissed me (as a person still waiting for my e-mail) off worse than anything in this project before. I could chalk up the non-existing communication by assuming that they were too busy, but the condecending and snarky communication is another thing. Then they locked the thread on international shipping on their forum. gently caress me for being a dirty foreigner, I guess. Not feeling like becoming a repeat customer at the moment.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

The shipping confirmation email (where to?)? Good for you, I hope I got mine soon. But I'm very wary of ordering ANYTHING big from them now (unless I know I can get the transfer reversed the moment they gently caress something up). That RMS paint mega set I wanted? Looking less and less likely now.

Yeah, I've heard all sorts of positive buzz about Reaper before, but now it seems that everyone but Brian is a bit of a dick, and Brian is barely posting anything anymore. So we're left with either no info, or sass. Great.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JackMann posted:

All I can say is that this is not how they've acted previously. Before this, they had almost a golden reputation for customer service.

It doesn't excuse their actions, but I think part of it is that they've gotten burned out from the comments. I mean, when they announced they'd do the simple orders first, there was a cry for blood from the people with large orders. Even when they were fairly forthcoming about delays, they were getting a lot of abuse.

But it's still their job to do customer service. And they need to be able to distinguish normal, frustrated customers from entitled dipshits.

I'm still going to buy from Reaper. I've ordered two packages from them since June, and both arrived in Afghanistan within two weeks. I believe that this is a temporary aberration of their usual practices. But I can't argue that they haven't given people a lot of reason to be skeptical lately.

Yeah, they seem to have no problem to send out normal orders at an ordinary speed, even normal international orders. But international Bones shipments? No can do, because the Magical Mystery UPS truck can't pick them up. All I really want is an honest update on what the real deal is, and I'd be a happy camper. But for some reason Reaper will do anything but post such an update, which is baffling to me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Last time I ordered anything from Reaper it took 3 months for them to ship it. And now this.

I finally got an e-mail from Matt Clark, where he asked me to provide my address (for the third time). Turned out they only had my zip code and country. Maybe they've had problems with their pledge manager as well?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Wazzu posted:

Yeah, it seemed like they got to the final 2,000ish orders and just stopped. Haven't gotten my notice yet either. Did they make some minor miscalculation and need to order in more Dragons/Cthullus? Are they actually trying to make sure each of those orders have nothing missing? I just don't know, and I'm confused as to whether there even is a hold up, or just it just really feels like it.

I got my email, finally. Reaper has now said that they are sending out the last parcels randomly, and won't count how many are left, so it's impossible to know how much they have left.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got mine last week. I'm still a bit mixed in my reception, as I find it really frustrating to get that first coat to grab on. Some paints are better than others, and I'll probably get to used to it after a while, but they are still frustrating to get started on. I just finished my first one, a chaos warrior type, and it's not so obvious that he's not a "normal" mini until you pick him up.

In the end, the Bones might simply end up as the minis that I can bring out when friends bring their kids around. They'll usually get excited about my collection, but I have nothing that I can let them play with. Now I can just chuck random monsters at them and leave them to play with them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Well this has been a ballache for sure - I've got a letter now from Border Force, but luckily I've got everything in Gmail so I can find my Kickstarter email from Reaper and the Amazon payments email really easily. Hopefully that's enough to let my parcel go, but now I've got to pay customs on a $202 order. I don't even know how much they'll want, I'll have to dig around online.

I had to pay roughly the equivalent of 25 pound.

And thanks to the people reminding me to was the bones in warm water and soap. It didn't make it feel like painting a properly primed mini, but still a lot less annoying than straight out of the bag. Off to paint some spiders!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I got an email today from Reaper, regarding the one faulty model I received (it was missing a weapon arm). They've credited me with a $7 gift certificate for their store, which is "double the retail price" of the model.

So, that's shifting the hassle of fixing the error to me, but the $7 is enough to cover the cost of the figure ($2.79) plus shipping ($2.58) plus handling ($1), with sixty three cents left over, so I guess that works.

e. It's also worth noting that everything from the Bones kickstarter seems to be for sale on their site now, including a boxed vampire set option for $324.99. And yes, Mr. Bones is available for $1.99, I know there was someone in this thread who didn't get one.

Yeah, I didn't get the Mr. Bones either, seem to be a very common problem. Honestly, I haven't bothered to check that my order was packed correctly. It's not like I'm going to go sleepless over one or two missing out of the hundreds that lies unpainted.

Yesterday I noticed that the Bones miniatures really got me painting faster. Maybe it is because I don't "care" too much, or the fact that I don't need to prime them. No matter why, I've been picking up a model every other night or so, and just powered through them in an hour or two. I already have five of them painted up, and soon I'll have enough to plan out a simple dungeon crawler for my nephew. It's quite refreshing compared to painting huge batches of almost identical troops, especially ones requiring a lot of preparations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

It took a long time, because they had to write their own survey tool thingy. I think it was a good 8 weeks or more? I assume they'll use the same tool this time, though, so it'll probably be a shorter wait.

Yeah, it was a fair bit between the end and the pledge manager. I'm still on the fence, but after painting my first five or six bones, I think that the material is better than I expected. But at the same time, I have tons of them already.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Interesting. I might not want another hundred bucks of bones, but a few options should be more reasonable, especially when international shipping is considered.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Looking at what's available, it's just hard for me to argue why I should back the kickstarter when the stuff I would like are individual miniatures in the core and the different expansions. So either I put in some $200, PLUS a huge shipping fee, PLUS import tax... or I wait a year, and spend far less on a few individual minis.

I'm still in it at $1 just in case, and I might get some few things, but I'm not seeing a huge boost. In two months I've painted some 15-20 minis from Bones 1, so it's not like I don't expect to have some unpainted ones left in a year.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 22, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

90% of the things that appeal to me are either add-on options or available as separate options from the core anyway. Except for the Barrow Wardens. Those look just awesome!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Yeah, I didn't get in on the last one, so I'll probably stick this one out (I'd like to start playing more DnD with my friends, so I'm looking for tons of minis). That said, if you were a Bones 1 kickstarter I'm not really sure why you'd back this one at the core level. Maybe you want to pick up a few models here and there, but I can't imagine that anybody finished painting their bones 1 minis yet.

This. One core, no matter if it is Bones 1 or 2, is awesome for getting a big bulk of random minis to paint and play with. So if I had missed out Bones 1, I'd definitely get the core for this. But now I have the Bones 1 core, and I have only painted like 10% of it, so I'm going to get a few items from the core, some addons and maybe expansion 1. That way the total cost including international shipping will be relatively low ($40-50), and I'll get some new stuff in a year to add to the Bones that I've painted up by then.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, yeah, the problem was that they sicced a lawyer on a thing that they had no business siccing a lawyer on, then found cause later. It could all have been settled much more amicably, and I think it put the frighteners on anyone else playing explicitly with Wizards IP.

Also, that Baphomet. It is nice. It's kind of a shame, really, that I don't wildly want much from that expansion. I'll discuss the possibility with Krush though.

I'm at the stage where other than the bits I'm getting from core with krush, I'm probbaly just going to buy bits from the expansions retail or resale rather than try to get them in the KS.

Overall, I think the expansions were a decent idea, but they could have done with being a bit more focussed in order to make people want to buy them. The scifi one is cool, but there's not enough to it. But if there's been one with all the big and small demons, for instance, I'd probably have been right on board with that.

If there was a "scary undead bad guys" expansions, I'd be so in on it. But I'm thankful that they opened up for buying separate parts of the core, which means that I can get some nice undead stuff from it without buying the entire core.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

To out do the last KS they will need to make over $700,000 in the next 8 hours. I don't know if I see that happening.

E: I hope they do, for the most part I like Reaper and I like Bones, I just don't think this KS was as well run as the last one.

For good or bad, i think this kickstarter is better managed, as in the division into shipping waves, added international shipping and fewer really good deals will hopefully mean that the fulfillment part will be done a lot more smoothly, with fewer mistakes. However, I agree that some of the choises, especially in the expansions, are not perfect. So it is obvious to me that they learned something from Bones 1, and I think they will learn something for this one as well.

I think this one will do slighty worse, but still over 300k. Also, there will be a lot of money added afterwards through the pledge manager.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Myself, I'm happily surprised to have finished 40 bones already, even though a dozen of those are rats and other small vermin and the bases need a bit of finish. The pressure is so low to paint them to some high standard that I can just sit down and get them done really quick. It's very refreshing for me, and they end up looking decent anyway.

Since I've given some bones away, that's like a sixth of the Bones, in roughly two months... so in a year, I should be pretty much finished for Bones 2! :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 30, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It is a pretty awesome bone giant though, even without the option. Highly recommended.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What have been people's experiences with hot water bending Bones figures? My Colossal Skeleton is a bit too laid back for its own good.

I've dunked all my bones in water that is either very hot or almost boiling, no matter if they need correcting or not. The warm water washes of whatever it is that prevents paint from going on somewhat smoothly without a primer. I haven't experienced a lot of difference between hot or boiling baths, or long or short ones. Just heat them up with water, and drop them in a pot of cold water, and you're golden.

PS. Do not try to pick up minis from boiling water with your bare hands.

In other news, we just playtested a homebrewn tactical RPG-light boardgame based on the Bones 1 set. It was a lot more fun than we thought, so now I'm motivated to paint the 3-5 minis left to have a painted 50 mini set to continue the playtesting with. I also might need to buy more basic monster Bones. The madness begins...

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 18, 2013

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm going back and forth over finalizing the pledge. As an international backer, it's way harder than last time, given that any option also bring a very sizeable increase in the shipping. A 15 dollar spider is not as tempting when it's got 13 dollar of shipping tacked on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

They made a profit, but the shipping increase (not only international) ate more of it than they expected. Still, it wasn't like they were losing money on the Kickstarter.

I'll probably just go for one of the 50 dollar sets, and pick a few extras separately from the core box.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

After waffling around and comparing the costs with shipping included, I decided to just go for the 100 dollar box and some extra beastmen and ratmen. It's not like I'll run out of things to paint and use anyway, even if there were some very nice additions.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I tried painting my first Bones mini without washing it, and it was horrible. Absolutely horrible, with the paint beading up everywhere, and impossible to get an even layer. Just dunk them in some soapy water and dry them off, and they'll be good though. I think Reaper didn't mention that it's necessary in their initial hype around Bones not needing any preparation before painting.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

As long as they don't repeat the international shipping fiasco, I don't care. This time they actually post about the delay, and do it in advance! So, a huge improvement IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Godspeed, Bones Kickstarter III: Bone Hardest: 'Twas All For Bones, but I am so incredibly completely uninterested in those minis. :(

Yeaaaaah... sharp angled mechs with long straight guns might not be the best way to showcase the Bones material.

• Locked thread