Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Watching that guy saw away at a piece of sprue with a serrated folding pocket knife was making me cringe. There's one point where you can clearly see the figure mash and twist against the table as its base folds over, ugh.

I loved the bandage over the fore-finger. You can tell that he both loves that knife and has no clue how to use it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Remember that you can apply the Quickshade/stain with a large brush, this is often more convenient than dipping (you don't have to throw stain all over the place).

BTW, has anyone tried dipping/staining Bones material already? If so, with what results?

I can't find it now, but I saw a video where a guy tried various techniques on an un-primed Bones. Summary: Bones do take a layer of paint without priming, but inks and washes don't go onto an unprimed Bones very well because of the lower viscosity and less 'stickiness' without medium.

Since a base-coat will involve multiple coats anyways, base-coating directly onto a Bones appears to be an option to speed the painting process. However, the long-term durability (especially if most of these will end up seeing heavy table-top use) without a good primer to bind things together remains to be seen.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

shipped:

quote:

Kaladrax Reborn x1
Ebonwrath x1
There Be Dragons x1
Spider Centaurs x1
C'thulhu x1
Hydra x1
Frost Wyrm x1
Fire Giant Warriors x1
Red Dragon x1
Undead Giant x1
Forces of Nature x1
Mythos Monsters x2
Demons x1
Mind your Manors x2
Frost Giants x1
Fire Giants x1
vampire x2
I am intimidated by the task of painting Kal with nothing but brushes, but not ready to commit to an airbrush setup.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Finished Cataloging and I feel pretty fortunate. Out of two vampire sets and 18 add-ons the only errors were an extra mis-cast "Deladrin, Assasin", a missing "Elquin, High Elf Adventurer" and no "Mr. Bones". Overall this was an amazing deal and I have zero regrets.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

From the way they repositioned, weapon-swapped or reduced detail from a lot of the metal originals you can tell that there are limitations on the plastic molding process, which I think is the source of some of the sculpt weirdness.

Does anyone think Kaladrax will require wire reinforcement? I'm looking at the joins for the tail segments and wondering if they will hold the weight well once bonded.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Based on the labelling on all the packages, can we assume that LDPE is what all bones are made of?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Ah, mystery solved. Thanks.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Cross post of some cheap bulk plastic bases I'm thinking of from the minis thread:

400 1" square plastic (3/8" thick?) at about 5 cents each
400 1" square plastic (2mm thick) at about 5 cents each (after expensive shipping)
200 1" round plastic at about 5 cents each
250 0.75" round plastic at about 2.5 cents each

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I finally finished unbagging, despruing, scrubbing, and boiling my two vampire sets.

After going through them all I definitely have some favorites. There are such a variety of styles and scales and my favorites definitely tend towards the chunkier, larger sculpts.

Some of my favorite sets:
- Fighters
- Dwarves
- Heroes
- IMEF Marines
- Swamp Things

Sets that I'm not so hot for:
- Undead Horde
- Dark Elves
- Zombie Hunters
- Pathfinder Iconics 1 & 2

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Working on my rats.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Wazzu posted:

Those are some really pretty rats, well done. Lord knows why you need those many rats (unless you're playing low level Morrowind Characters using miniatures).

I think their most important purpose is as lab rats for practicing painting techniques. :rimshot:

Those were painted without primer and I did various wash experiments on them. For the next batch I'm going to try some two brush blending experiments.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

So I have a quick question about the size of the Bones Rats. How big are they? Do they fit comfortably on a 20mm base, or are they more like 25mm bases in line with the rest of reaper's stuff?

The rat bases are a hair over 1/2", so maybe 13mm. You can almost fit four on a 25mm base.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Dr. Gargunza posted:

...That tears it. When I mass-boil my minis, I'm listening to Basil Poledouris' Conan soundtracks.

Anyone else notice any unsightly residue on their models? A couple of mine had some sort of crusty, light sepia stains on them when they first arrived. I didn't bother washing them at the time, thinking I'd do that prior to painting; but a few weeks later the stains have darkened to the point that they look like this:

Should I be concerned, like contact-Reaper-support concerned, or just attack these guys with Simple Green and a toothbrush?

My batch had a few like that and it looked like contaminants in the plastic itself. I just painted over it.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

down Mr Bones and the necromancer lady who goes with Kaladrax.
You are not the only one - I'm missing the same two minis from my 2xVampire (and that was just about the only mistake).

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

JackMann posted:

Not a different material, just different amounts of plasticizer. Plasticizers are used to make the material more pliable. A certain amount is needed to keep the Bones figures from being too brittle and hard to work with. In theory, they can use this to make different parts as hard or flexible as they need to be. In practice, at least during this huge run, some pieces were made with too much or too little. If you have a part that's too bendable to work with (say, a dragon's leg or somesuch), then you can call 'em up for a replacement part. Or, if you prefer not to wait, you can pin it to keep it straight.

I'm guessing that they intentionally used more plasticizers for certain complex molds such as Kaladrax's head with all its spiky whiskers and Cthulu's head with all its tentacles.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

^^^
Oooh, smooth edit.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones?ref=live

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

e: drat I'm slow.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

With the raging success of the Bones line, how long do you think it will be before the other big mini manufacturers throw their hat in the budget-conscious-plastic-minis ring?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Adding "Core Options" is allowing them to multiplex the stretch goals even further. I.e. aside from Leper's observation that they are splitting options out from core expansions, I'm guessing that they will also eke out individual stretch goals from each individual expansion to each "Core Option X".

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

I'd still like to know a good source to get big old bags of bases for my Bones. :colbert:

If you are not picky, looking for educational tiles can find you some options.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I'm feeling like Reaper made a strategic error here in not coming out of the gate strong with each of the expansion lots. One thing that got people on board early for Bones I was that even the first Vampire lot before stretch goals seemed like a reasonable deal for a retail package, so people could say "hey if thats all there is its still a reasonable deal". The opening offerings for each of the expansions seems nowhere near a reasonable retail equivalent ($50 for four pieces of bonesium modern scenery? $50 for three bonesium mounted and some guards? $50 for a bonesium dragon and some mooks?) so there is no motivation to bump up your pledge until the expansion seems like at least a retail equivalent (where I would guess early pledgers would be enticed) if not a good deal (where I think the bulk of pledgers start to think about it). They are trying to bump up enthusiasm with things like that video, but they should have just made the expansions sweeter out of the gate.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

If they don't rapidly inflate those expansions before the last day I'll probably trim my pledge quite a bit.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I don't see the late push happening. There is no audience that hasn't heard the hype. Everyone who was either in on or missed out on Bones I is probably already in. The stretch structure already rewards increasing your pledge early. My bet is that there is no big pool of people waiting on the fence to jump in and no big pool of people waiting to up-pledge on the last day.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

While we wait for more news, here are some in-progress Bones I kobolds. Left to right: based fireball orange HD, washed crimson red HD, highlighted up fireball orange and pale saffron HD.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I'm definitely not in on expansion 3. I was hoping for a pile of Zerganids and other xeno-bugs to match the pile of IMEF marines from Bones I, but greys and "Camp Attacks!" not so much. I'm on the fence for expansion 2 - the minis are nice but I don't see myself putting the mounted units or angelics to practical use and the guards don't justify $50. I'm definitely in on expansion 1 as it has alot I can see putting on the table.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Looking over these expansions again, if I were to put down that much extra cash I'd heavily lean towards skipping them all in favor of just doubling up on the core. As PnR's analysis shows it is by far the best value. Other than that, for me it is about identifying the desirable options that are at the biggest discount from the likely retail price.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

They would have to dump a swarm of zerganid into exp 3 to get me to buy in.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I'm definitely in for:

core
lords of darkness
water elementals
hill giants
mashaaf
khanjira

total $167

on the fence about:

expansion 1
expansion 2
nathrax
dragons don't share
mouslings
oh rats
gelatinous cube & friends
greater demons
demon lords
thank you pack

up to +$224

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Since its show-and-tell time, have some WIP troll:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Cross posting bones trolls from the mini painting thread:

Left is mostly Reaper HD, right is mostly Vallejo. Both gloss varnished, matte varnished, dullcoted and ready for the table.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

xpost from minis thread: kobolds!

I am now 2/3 done with my double set of Dungeon Attack.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I tried to go for fairly high contrast triads to make the small details pop. For base coasts I went mostly for Reaper MS, but for many richer colors and highlights I went with Vallejo GC. The flesh is all Reaper MS: base fireball orange, wash ruddy brown, highlight pale saffron. The clothes are base Reaper MS solid blue, highlight Vallejo GC magic blue, second highlight Vallejo GC magic blue + white. The "elite" clothes are base Reaper MS crimson red, highlight Vallejo GC gory red, second highlight Vallejo GC bloody red. Wood/leather are mostly base Vallejo GC beasty brown, wash Vallejo GC charred brown, highlighted with different brown tones to create some distinction. Metallics are base Vallejo GC gunmetal, thin wash black, highlight Vallejo GC chainmail. "Elite" metallics are base Vallejo GC brass, wash Vallejo GC charred brown, highlight Vallejo GC glorious gold. I used little shading on the gems to give them a translucent look - they are mostly a bright Vallejo GC base, lightened highlight top and bottom, lighter second highlight top, white high-highlight top. Lines and detail were all done with a heavy ink-based black wash. Bases were just base grey, wash black, drybrush light grey. Varnish was one coat Liquitex gloss, one coat Liquitex matte, dusting of Testors dullcote.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Trying a lazier process for my next batch of 24 Dungeon Attack! goblins: base grey, heavy wash black, paint midtones up to highlights ignoring crevasses and hard-to-reach areas.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Although I've been going high saturation, I like your muted color scheme. Are those a particular brand's range or your own mix?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Thanks, giving that a try tonite.

Also, I need MOAR GOBLINZ for something. I saw on the previous page something about 24 goblins or whatnot. Is this A Thing?
I ordered two core sets of kickstarter #1, each of which included 12 goblins as part of "Dungeon Attack!", so 24 Dungeon Attack goblins. Each core set also had 9 Pathfinder"We Be Goblins". I am drowning in goblins.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Achievement unlocked: Double Dungeon Attack

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I haven't been totally happy with some of the bones bases, so I tried a quick fix on my skellies: CA-glue the base directly onto a 1" plastic chit, then fill in with a sand/PVA-glue paste. Seems acceptable so far. I'll report back when I have them painted.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

I haven't been totally happy with some of the bones bases, so I tried a quick fix on my skellies: CA-glue the base directly onto a 1" plastic chit, then fill in with a sand/PVA-glue paste. Seems acceptable so far. I'll report back when I have them painted.

An update after an embarrasingly long time: Just got around to painting these bases with a quick basecoat, wash and drybrush. I like the results and will probably be using CA-to-chit/fill-with-sand-PVA again in the future for quick basing needs.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

An update after an embarrasingly long time: Just got around to painting these bases with a quick basecoat, wash and drybrush. I like the results and will probably be using CA-to-chit/fill-with-sand-PVA again in the future for quick basing needs.

And the first few are ready for the table:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

The slow march on bones 1 continues ... Finally finished my skellies after many months being distracted by a wedding and a job change:

• Locked thread