Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Yeah obviously I tried to marry the rich boy first.

And know all I knew about it was the description from the previous thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345145 posted:

Kira Kira (slice of life, music, comedy, drama, romance)

A male high school student forms a band with three female high school students. The main focus is on slice of life style comedy, with wacky band hijinks, wacky school hijinks, and wacky cross dressing hijinks. The game becomes somewhat more serious about halfway through when it splits into three separate paths. One path is utterly amazing with one of the best endings I've ever read while the other two aren't necessarily bad but they're kind of bland. The worst thing I could say about it is that the translation quality isn't very good, especially at the beginning of the game (it tends to improve later on though). It also takes a little while to get off the ground. The art and music quality is very solid, there's something like 150+ different background tracks. It also has a fandisc, but it isn't very good.

Oh I guess it says it but I thought by serious it meant "stops crossdressing for laughs."

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I recently finished Deardrops, except for Rimu's route. I'm probably not going to read her's though. I liked it a bit more than Kira Kira. The highs weren't as high (I'm not sure anything will top the truck scene in the cult camp from Kira Kira), but it was much more consistent. The parts I liked least were centered around Rimu, but there weren't any other parts that I particularly disliked.

I liked Riho's route, especially how it included Gonda's character arc, and Kirari's cameo appearance. I also liked how Shoichi actually had his own character arc. It was better in Kanade's route than Riho's, but then again, it was half of the story there.

I have no idea how good it'll be, but I'm looking forward to the release of d2b vs. Deardrops.

Anyway, up next for me are some OELVNs. I've had Dysfunctional Systems for too long, and it deserves to be read.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, I was half-and-half on it when playing it. Even when the assassination on Azai was happening I still wasn't sure and was just mostly confused. The problem I have with the twist is that there are plot holes, plain and simple. They tried too hard to pull that out of nowhere and ended up not being able to fill in all of the details. Those missing details don't really add to the mystery, they just make it feel cheap. Misgivings aside, I did enjoy it. I enjoy it when I honestly don't know what to expect, even if it doesn't always make sense.

Oh wow, that ending. I honestly would've missed the prologue if I didn't get up to chat to one of my housemates.

Susurrus
Sep 8, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Apparently Niconico's going to try their hand at official VN livestreams, starting with Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi, with the game set to auto mode and choices done by user poll.

18+ scenes are going to be replaced with footage of Sumou matches.

On one hand, that's kinda dumb, but on the other hand I can't see this as anything but a master troll. They could have chosen any other game to start with, even a family-friendly(ish) one like Steins;gate or something. But no, they started with Totono.

For those who haven't played it, imagine if in the middle of the original Twitch Plays Pokemon run, the emulator was replaced with the text "gently caress YOU" in the middle of the run, and when the emulator came back all of the text in the game was replaced with "gently caress YOU NERDS YOU SHOULD ALL KILL YOURSELVES".

Speaking of that, I should play Axanael one of these days. Apparently the gimmick (I don't know if this is a spoiler but I'm going to spoiler it anyway) is that every night the entire cast goes through a game of Russian Roulette and the game randomly chooses someone to die? So you don't get to choose the route you go on, it just randomly happens. It kinda seems like a lovely mechanic but I'd be willing to try it out since it's by the same team. Has anyone here played the game?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Susurrus posted:

On one hand, that's kinda dumb, but on the other hand I can't see this as anything but a master troll. They could have chosen any other game to start with, even a family-friendly(ish) one like Steins;gate or something. But no, they started with Totono.

For those who haven't played it, imagine if in the middle of the original Twitch Plays Pokemon run, the emulator was replaced with the text "gently caress YOU" in the middle of the run, and when the emulator came back all of the text in the game was replaced with "gently caress YOU NERDS YOU SHOULD ALL KILL YOURSELVES".

Speaking of that, I should play Axanael one of these days. Apparently the gimmick (I don't know if this is a spoiler but I'm going to spoiler it anyway) is that every night the entire cast goes through a game of Russian Roulette and the game randomly chooses someone to die? So you don't get to choose the route you go on, it just randomly happens. It kinda seems like a lovely mechanic but I'd be willing to try it out since it's by the same team. Has anyone here played the game?

I'm just curious about the part about replacing sex scenes with sumou wrestling. I wanna see the reaction to that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Will the dialog of the sex scenes still play over the Sumou? Has that always been the romanized spelling of Sumou? Fat men slamming into each other after throwing salt Sumou?
I guess I'm thinking it will go like this but I'm already ashamed I spent two minutes on this http://i.imgur.com/8H7yuUe.gif

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 17, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Susurrus posted:

Uh... mind expanding on this? :catstare:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Now that I'm done with G-Senjou, I'm now deciding between finishing LB! or starting Hoshizora no Memoria.
I stopped palying LB because the game wanted me to clear every other route before I could get any further in Rin's one and I didn't know where to start, so I just set it aside I do recall savescumming to beat Kengo when the fight ranking first started. Gluestsick is OP as gently caress :getin:

I feel obligated to finish LB, but Memoria seems pretty interesting... Any help in swaying my decision would be great.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

HiveCommander posted:

Now that I'm done with G-Senjou, I'm now deciding between finishing LB! or starting Hoshizora no Memoria.
I stopped palying LB because the game wanted me to clear every other route before I could get any further in Rin's one and I didn't know where to start, so I just set it aside I do recall savescumming to beat Kengo when the fight ranking first started. Gluestsick is OP as gently caress :getin:

I feel obligated to finish LB, but Memoria seems pretty interesting... Any help in swaying my decision would be great.

I dislike Hoshimemo very greatly (it is incredibly dull) and Little Busters is one of my favorites, so you know where my vote is going.

My route recommendation is Komori -> Rin1 -> Kurugaya -> Haruka or Mio -> Kud. Always start from the beginning (you're really, really missing out if you don't; the skip button is your friend, but the ctrl key skips even unread text, so watch out for that), and when you get to the branching point for a route you've cleared (other than Komori or Rin), try to reenter it there; you can't replay them until finishing Refrain, but there's unique text when you try anyway. See the line for Kurugaya's, if no other route.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Einander posted:

I dislike Hoshimemo very greatly (it is incredibly dull) and Little Busters is one of my favorites, so you know where my vote is going.

My route recommendation is Komori -> Rin1 -> Kurugaya -> Haruka or Mio -> Kud. Always start from the beginning (you're really, really missing out if you don't; the skip button is your friend, but the ctrl key skips even unread text, so watch out for that), and when you get to the branching point for a route you've cleared (other than Komori or Rin), try to reenter it there; you can't replay them until finishing Refrain, but there's unique text when you try anyway. See the line for Kurugaya's, if no other route.

Komori first? She was the only one that I couldn't stand, but I guess it's best to get hers over and done with. A friend told me that Kurugaya's route has some biiiig foreshadowing for Refrain and suggested to do hers last. I've held back on watching the (allegedly terrible) anime until I finish the VN so I haven't been spoiled yet (unlike Clannad, yet to watch the afterstory which practically makes me double Hitler or something, but an unfortunate lurk on /a/ one day dropped a huge spoiler-bomb on me)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Komari's route is also the worst. I think it's recommended to do hers first because there isn't any special stuff that gets added to it by completing any of the others first, IIRC. A few of the other routes have added scenes and stuff if you do some others first.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 18, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It basically does not matter what order you do the LB routes, because when you really get down to it they may as well have been lifted from completely different VNs/stories. They do not gel thematically with the rest of LB at all. They're like the side routes in G-senjou in that you're almost better off skipping them entirely to keep the story more consistent, except this time you have to do them. Just do whatever you feel like and understand the show doesn't really get started until you start Rin 2 and then Refrain.

Susurrus
Sep 8, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Will the dialog of the sex scenes still play over the Sumou? Has that always been the romanized spelling of Sumou? Fat men slamming into each other after throwing salt Sumou?
I guess I'm thinking it will go like this but I'm already ashamed I spent two minutes on this http://i.imgur.com/8H7yuUe.gif

I would laugh my rear end off if they only replaced the visuals. Mind you I'd still laugh my rear end off if the sumo wrestlers came on at any point. drat it, now I might have to tune in to one of these streams.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Uh... mind expanding on this? :catstare:

At one point there were two videos on Youtube that did the job of explaining better than I ever could, but they've been unfortunately taken down so I'll have to do the explaining instead. You can't really expand on it without spoiling the main twist of the game, so if you think you'll play it at any point, don't read. There are two main heroines in the game, Miyuki and Aoi. Aoi believes she's in a game world, and her "gimmick" is that she has a cell phone that can contact God, so she stands on the rooftop all the time, trying to get reception. She's a weirdo. Then there's Miyuki, who is a lot more interesting to me. At one point, the main character complains to Aoi that Miyuki is too good for him or something stupid like that, so Aoi raises her cell phone to the sky... and actually gets a signal. With the game warping and breaking apart, she puts a new rule into the game: that Miyuki cannot fall in love with anyone except the main character.

After that, you're railroaded into Miyuki's route, where in the climax of the story you make a promise under the stars; a promise to love her forever. After that, the game ends. The normal VN player says at this point, "Okay, so now that I've done Miyuki's route, I'll do Aoi's route." So you do. But while you're playing, you get this strange sense that Aoi is cheating on you. Aoi's whole route is investigating into her possible cheating, with the bro-friend character (voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama because he is awesome) and Miyuki. Miyuki is strangely aggressive, sowing doubt in the main character's mind about Aoi's faithfulness and generally spurring him on.

At the end of Aoi's route, you find out that she IS cheating. She does have a "reason" for it though. As it turns out, she's acting as a pseudo-player, gathering CGs on people's "routes". The game even calls her an "NTR heroine" because of her objective, to have sex with as many guys as possible to gather as many CGs as she can. She's a jab at the kinds of otaku that play these games just for wank material, ignoring the story. You have two choices at his point; believe in her or don't believe in her. Not believing in her shunts you onto Miyuki's route so the only real choice is to believe her. At which point, there's another sex scene and then you fall asleep with Aoi. When you wake up, Miyuki is standing over the bed with a bloody baseball bat. She starts beating Aoi to death, and at this point the average player thinks to themselves, "poo poo, I probably chose wrong somewhere, time to reload."

Which is when they poo poo themselves when Miyuki says "Oh, you probably think you can just reload a save, don't you?" The main character says "Who are you talking to?" And she replies. "Not to you." The screen goes black.

And it comes back with her staring directly into the screen, straight at the player.

"I'm talking to YOU."

http://imgur.com/1F6czwL

As it turns out, the promise at the end of her route wasn't between her and the main character, it was between her and the PLAYER. Since Aoi edited her character with the main character's wish, her consciousness carried on between routes. She considers YOU cheating on her, and now she's gone yandere for the player. She reveals that she's stolen Aoi's cell phone that can contact God. She calls God and tells him to apply her patch to Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi... the game you're currently playing. Then, the game closes itself.

When the game comes back on, the player sees the game start to patch itself. When it finishes, the game's UI has completely changed, and you can no longer save or load. If you try, Miyuki's voice mocks you for trying. She starts drugging the main character to keep him docile, trapping him in a hotel room, and consequently trapping YOU in his body (since she knows you play the game from his perspective). What ensues is a battle between the player and Miyuki, the player trying to escape imprisonment and Miyuki trying to keep you there.

It's really cool, and it's a great jab at the kind of otaku that play these games. It doesn't work if you haven't played enough visual novels before, because it relies on you knowing the pattern of "Finish route, restart game, go on another route, finish that route, repeat until all content has been seen." It calls out that behavior, saying that in real life, that kind of poo poo wouldn't fly. It says that game logic is not real logic, and that if game heroines were real people, you would be treating them in a really lovely way if you pulled the poo poo you did in most VNs.

tl;dr "AnarchyDemocracyAnarchyAnarchyAnarchyAnaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH :psyboom:"

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Man, and no one is working on translating that game? Language barriers are a tragedy.

HiveCommander posted:

Komori first? She was the only one that I couldn't stand, but I guess it's best to get hers over and done with. A friend told me that Kurugaya's route has some biiiig foreshadowing for Refrain and suggested to do hers last. I've held back on watching the (allegedly terrible) anime until I finish the VN so I haven't been spoiled yet (unlike Clannad, yet to watch the afterstory which practically makes me double Hitler or something, but an unfortunate lurk on /a/ one day dropped a huge spoiler-bomb on me)

That's the chief rationale, yeah, plus the fact that she has the weakest tie to everything else.

On the matter of foreshadowing... That's actually exactly why you should do Kurugaya's route early on. The overarching route structure of Little Busters is a mystery. There's a lot of little oddities, and it's a long time before you're told what any of them mean, so everything else is more interesting when you know a little more and can start connecting dots. Kurugaya's route gives you a foundation for that without giving the game away.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Einander posted:

That's the chief rationale, yeah, plus the fact that she has the weakest tie to everything else.

On the matter of foreshadowing... That's actually exactly why you should do Kurugaya's route early on. The overarching route structure of Little Busters is a mystery. There's a lot of little oddities, and it's a long time before you're told what any of them mean, so everything else is more interesting when you know a little more and can start connecting dots. Kurugaya's route gives you a foundation for that without giving the game away.

That works out, I'll start getting back into LB this afternoon. Cheers!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't know why, but I'm enjoying the hell out of Moujuu Tsukai to Ouji-sama/Beast Tamer and Prince. I got it for free on the Vita through Playstation Plus and I thought it looked hilarious so I started playing it but it's actually pretty engaging. The fantasy world of the story gets expanded on quite a bit through the extra notes you can read, and having the guys start out as talking animals kind of makes them way more endearing than they would be if they just showed up in their cliche pretty boy forms all the time. Reviews say it doesn't have a very satisfying ending, but I think it'll be entertaining enough even if the story is lacking in the finale.

... and I mean what a perfect otome game for the Vita. You can use the touch controls to pet (non-sexually, obviously) your boyfriends in their animal forms. It's bizarre, but that very bizarreness adds a level of enjoyment to the whole set-up of the game.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 18, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Free for PS+? Was that some limited deal? Did it come out yesterday? Do you need a Japanese account?

I didn't finish reading. Ok nevermind. But still, I didn't see anything for free that's new so I was wondering.

e: Oh thank god. Second route on Kira*Kira ended exactly at the part where it went off the rails on the first. I was expecting more symmetry between the past and the present, I.E. Kirari had a haunted guitar and had to play a song to set the spirit of the yakuza brother to rest, then dies and becomes a ghost and Maejima has to play a song to set her spirit to rest and also move forward. So that means Kashiwara was going to get pregnant and die and I'd have to not commit suicide to break the cycle and also somehow reconcile with her grampa aftewards. It wasn't fitting as a logical thing that could happen but I was bracing for it.

It just occurred to me I didn't get that drug subplot at all. The blonde american was not checking his briefcase, cuddled it all night long while shivering in the communal sleeping quarters on the ferry. He's a drug mule then? But no he's a good guy and it never comes up again, and he's so worried the black guy is a drug dealer that he kicks him in the head and makes him open his pedophilia safe. Then everyone says oh how embarrassing for you and they walk away. So was he mad at the guy possibly working his territory?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 18, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Susurrus posted:

Twitch Plays MGS2

Holy loving christ :stonk: This needs to get translated so I can play it because holy poo poo

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Your gonk emoticon was the last straw. I went back and read that huge block of spoilers. That was for the game I asked about a few weeks back. I don't regret reading that at all. That's a cool premise and I like knowing it's out there in the world. I like these kinds of deconstructions that make you feel bad for reading a VN in the first place. ML:A's ending made me feel the same way.

Susurrus
Sep 8, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Holy loving christ :stonk: This needs to get translated so I can play it because holy poo poo

No, see, I can't even do a good job of explaining it. The game pulls this twist so well that you actually feel threatened. At least, I did.

Even if you can't understand what she's saying, this video shows how well the voice actress pulls this off. She REALLY sells it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esqjVgEcJPo (linked for spoilers)

The other reason I love this game to death is because after a certain point, it starts using the medium itself to gently caress with you. Case in point: I mentioned in my previous explanation that at one point, Miyuki takes over the entire game to trap you. The UI changed, but that's not all. She has COMPLETE control over the game now, with her access to God. Eventually, the main character manages to escape from the hotel room and run away, but Miyuki still catches him. However, the main character notes that it's impossible. She lost sight of him, and he checked his entire body for bugs or trackers or anything like that. There was no way. But when Miyuki catches him, he asks her how she did it. She says that the main character couldn't possibly understand, but YOU (the player) could. She says, "Check your backlog." The main character gets confused again, but the player shits his pants. Yeah, you know the backlog, the thing you read to reread text you've already seen? When you go into it, a giant block of text appears that wasn't there before. It explains that she even has control over the backlog of the game. This means that she is reading the exact same thing you are, and she can track the main character no matter where he goes because of it. She has control over the very text of the game itself.

It reads like a lovely creepypasta but it's real and I love it.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dammit I know it gets into some mindfuckery and I can even read Japanese, but I don't have time right now and those spoiler blocks are so tempting.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Free for PS+? Was that some limited deal? Did it come out yesterday? Do you need a Japanese account?

Yes. As limited as any other PS+ deal in Japan. No. Yes.

Also I was misinformed about the petting mechanic. Apparently they just made a straight port of the PSP version, so you use the analog sticks to control the petting minigame. What a wasted opportunity.

Susurrus
Sep 8, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Dammit I know it gets into some mindfuckery and I can even read Japanese, but I don't have time right now and those spoiler blocks are so tempting.

Honestly, if you have time later, I would SUPER recommend it. The best way to go into it is the way I went into it, IMO. The only thing you should do is watch this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9TnnKhyZOI

DO NOT go on the VNDB.org page for it. You WILL be spoiled.

Bakanogami, don't read this: The best part is, that trailer deliberately dicks with you. They take something that's usually reserved as a game-changing event (a character going yandere) and present it quite clearly in the trailer. They make you expect it-- but that's not the real twist. The real twist isn't that she's yandere. It's that she's yandere for YOU, the player. As I understand it, the game's marketing at the time did that too, saying "Oh no, this game is really dark and twisted!" Otakus eat that poo poo up, so the game draws its target audience. Then, it slams them into the ground.

Then, there's two other things. First, there's a line at the end of the trailer: "I love you." But the way they say "you" in Japanese in this case is "kimi". Miyuki addresses the main character as "anata", a different way of saying "you" in Japanese. But she addresses the player as "kimi". So in reality, she's declaring her love for you, the viewer. That's right, they're spoiling the main twist of the game in the trailer. Oh, and if that isn't enough, it's in the name too. That's right. "Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi". "You and Her and Her Love". Except, the game's actually referring to YOU.

Also I am now permanently traumatized by the Happy Birthday song. That isn't a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Oooookay, so I permitted this thread to exist on the condition that it not get "weird". Apparently I was not being overt enough with this, given that there's been an awful lot of use of this thread to implicitly / explicitly discuss what's essentially outright erotica. It has been argued in this very thread that the vast majority of Visual Novels "good or bad" contain erotic content, which is rather the issue: letting this megathread exist with free reign to discuss all that encompasses has continually led to the kind of discussion we'd rather not have in ADTRW or on Something Awful period.

Sorry to all of you that have been using this thread to discuss non-erotic material, but the damage has been done and it's time for it to go.

• Locked thread