Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Settling in for the long haul on this one. I've kind of picked up a lot of Mario knowledge and trivia though certain ongoing projects of mine, so I'll be sure to remind you if you miss anything of note in the Mario series.

By that I mean don't think I'll let you get away with "forgetting" about Hotel Mario. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm just gonna put this out there. On the one hand, I perfectly understand why the Paper Mario games aren't getting full playthroughs. However, I'm still a little bummed the Paper Mario games aren't getting full playthroughs. They're some of my favorite Mario games.

In general, I think this is a larger problem with the Mario games than the Sonic ones. With Sonic games, there's a pretty clear delineation between the "core" games and the "side" games. With Mario, you have all these weird spin-off franchises which have ended up becoming just as if not more popular than the core. There's probably someone out there who's upset you won't be giving the full treatment to the Mario Party series, too.

EDIT: There's also a much smaller percentage of Mario games which are complete garbage. Even their stupid budget shovelware like Mario Sports Mix usually ends up way better-produced than it has any right to be.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 30, 2013

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
My only problem with Sunshine is that the actual platforming physics aren't as good at Galaxy. Mario has less friction and I find myself sliding off of platforms far more frequently in that game. In Galaxy, he's very "sticky," and even when he does slide it has a lot of controllable weight to it, which is to the benefit of the platforming.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wait... how will you guys know when a game isn't connected enough to the Mario franchise for you to ignore it? Y'know everyone says that the ref in the original Punch Out!!! was Mario. What about the Wario games? He's been in a few Mario games, they're brothers! Mario's Picross? He's in the game but it has nothing to do with Mario gameplay!!! Do you have to play every Mario-related sports outing game ever?

Jesus, where does it end??!!?

YOU MANIACS

This can only end in tears.

Or WarioWare.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

kalonZombie posted:

It's also a clever explanation as why Bowser always survives being thrown into lava every level. When you kill him he turns into a different enemy in every castle except castle 8. It's because he's enchanted some of his minions to have his likeness (bowser dabbled into a lot of sorcery back in the old days).

Well, when you're raised by Kamek, a little of that has to rub off.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Frionnel posted:

Hey i didn't know that bros. was an abbreviaton of brothers also, but then again, english is not my first language :v:

It's not common. I wouldn't be surprised if Super Mario Bros. was a lot of native English-speakers' first exposure to it, too.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Choco1980 posted:

So, some fun facts about the game itself. That artwork there? Drawn by Miyamoto himself as part of the concept art. Bowser, King of Koopa looked...weird at first.

Apparently early concepts for Bowser were something more akin to a minotaur. His modern design still retains some bull-like features, the horns in particular.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have never drank a lick of beer in my 24 years of being alive but if the Mario 2 video starts with "HEY DID YOU KNOW THIS IS DOKI DOKI PANIC IN JAPAN" I may consider starting.

It's not Doki Doki Panic in Japan, it's Super Mario Bros. USA. :v:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Choco1980 posted:

It seems so funny to me that only in like the last couple years has it become common knowledge among gamers in the west that Doki Doki Panic was indeed ORIGINALLY designed to be a Super Mario game, then changed part way through to tie in with the TV characters it used. Hell, Miyamoto himself worked on it heavily.

So it got Kirby's Epic Yarn-ed halfway through production? Man, Nintendo has a long history of doing things like that.

(Kirby's Epic Yarn was not originally a Kirby game. It was supposed to be a new IP starring Prince Fluff. Eventually it was decided that Prince Fluff was a really boring protagonist and no one would like it, so they crammed the game full of Kirby characters until they thought it would sell.)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It's amazing to learn that meme-filled ROM Hacks are actually one of the oldest traditions in gaming.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
These were also the days when you were very much expected to read the instruction manual before playing. Even if you didn't know exactly what it looked like, you had warning there would be poison mushrooms and would be wary of a different-colored one.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
A forum goer who's name I can't remember how to spell did an LP of some of them a few years back. They were kinda cute, but mostly nonsensical as I recall.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zinco posted:

Has Miyamoto gone on record with his feelings about the New Super Mario Bros. series?

I do know he's gone on record saying he finds Super Mario World too embarrassing to play these days. While he doesn't dislike it, he just sees all the things he would have done differently if he could make it again, and it makes him really hard for him to enjoy it.

I always thought that was interesting, and a good reminder that creative people will always find their older work embarrassing, even if it's considered legendarily good by their audience.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

Considering that we're talking about both of these games, what is the deal with the Koopalings? Why were they retconned so that they are no longer Bowser's children?

Yes they were. This should clear things up.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Why hasn't that sheep returned as an Assist Trophy in Smash Bros?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Somethingdumb posted:

I know, its insane.

Generally breakfast food isn't that filling. I can understand not wanting breakfast when you're hungry for dinner.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
This is going to end in some sort of Mario 2 race thread, isn't it?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

19LettersLong posted:

Mario 2 will not end here.

How many hours do you have recorded so far?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

alcharagia posted:

Probably DDR Mario Mix, notable for being literally the only time Waluigi was a major villain.

Yeah, when Kyle and Keith get there, a full LP of that story mode is something I'd really love to see.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Yeah I never liked SMB2 all that much as a kid. Too many of the mechanics felt weird and arbitrary compared to other games in the series (which is saying something).

That being said, the one thing I really liked about it when I was a kid was super jumping. The mechanic of holding down for a second to charge a super jump just felt really "right" to me and I wished more platformers going forwards would include it. I still kind of which it had become a staple platforming trope.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The relationship quiz tests whether you and your partner have compatible senses of humor by seeing if you'll pick the same obviously ridiculous answers on terrible questions. It's pretty brilliant really.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

StevenM posted:

Of course people care about Toad! Why, you can play as TWO Toads now!

:argh:

Nintendo has said the only reason Peach isn't the fourth in NSMB is because they didn't want to do cloth physics for her dress.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Choco1980 posted:

So in response to Chairman Mao posting a clip from the Super Show, and the boys talking about the live action movie as homework, I found myself wondering how many "official" film portrayals of Mario there were. There was the Saturday Supercade Donkey Kong cartoon mentioned before, and the Super Mario Super Show in all it's different incarnations, from multiple hosts--originally Captain Lou Albano as Mario, or later some XTREME! teen hosts, as well as the show sometimes double-billing with stuff like Captain N; Then there's also the fact that the show updated itself with each new game up through Super Mario World for the SNES. However, I knew if I looked I might find a gem hidden from American eyes.

And I did.

Apparently in 86, in Japan a feature length Anime was made out of the game property, with Mario's famicom game magically opening a gateway to the Mushroom Kingdom. I haven't watched it yet (and I think we all have our homework assignment now) but bits and pieces I've see are most interesting. This game came out in 86, yet the art style shows off character designs that wouldn't be "standard" til sequels to the game. Like Luigi being taller than Mario (though he wears different colors here. Weird.) Bowser's iconic second design, etc. The link I gave is probably the best quality you'll find in the English fan-subtitled edition. There's higher quality prints on the ute-oob, but they seem to either be un-subbed, or French subtitled only.

I'll do you two better. There are two deeper circles of Live-Action Mario Hell.

First, we have Super Mario Bros on Ice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue4Bca8DbAQ
Even though I just posted this video, I somehow feel the need to say that I'm not making this up. This is a real thing real people payed real money to see. Yes, that is Mr. Belvedere as Bowser. Yes, Peach sounds like May West. Yes, this ends with the single-file execution of the Koopa Troop at Luigi's hands before a crowd of childred screaming for blood. This comes from that glorious era (similar to the Super Mario Bros movie) where everyone wanted to cash in on the Mario Bros but there was no consistency of branding that had been created. You just had a sprite sheet and some character names to work with, and the rest was up to you. What we got this time...was magic.

But there's an even more obscure level. Something only a person who's spent way to much time on the Mario Wiki would ever know about. It's something so twisted, it only ever aired on public access in California, and few solid records of it ever existing survive to this day. I give you...King Koopa's Kool Kartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNEY31XZbE
Soak it in.

Beyond the intro and that other little clip at the end, the show itself was basically Captain Kangaroo, only with a guy in a horrifying monster costume screaming at children between showing public domain cartoon clips. By all accounts, the whole production felt more or less ad-libbed, with the guy just shoved in front of the camera and forced to stomp around and growl whatever came to mind.

I wish more than anything in the world that a full episode survived on YouTube.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Seer235 posted:

The lower path is actually the one I've always taken. I was actually kind of surprised when I saw people taking the other path. It also let me notice the discrepancies in the boss room (It doesn't really seem to change the difficulty of Bowser though, so I'm not sure why it's different).

Bottom-path Bowser has a slightly larger area of floor through which he can fall, so I guess that technically makes it "easier" even if the difference is minor.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Blenheim posted:

Shoot, speaking of Tetris and the 16 million permutations thereof, I forgot to mention the New Tetris rants one of the programmers inserted into the ROM.

The New Tetris sucked, by the way. Perhaps the only Tetris game in existence with framerate issues.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Laocius posted:

The best thing about Mario games is that football players seem out of place, but a fruit-eating, frog-tongued dinosaur pal seems completely appropriate.

I think they seem out of place because they look human, which is unusual for enemies in Mario games. In concept art, though, they do look more like monsters.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Laocius posted:

Really? They discontinued the console in Europe and Japan last month, so I figured they'd stopped making games for it.

I think Nintendo of America has actually said they're going to keep it alive in North America.

I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign for how Nintendo's doing over here.

EDIT: Oh, right!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Gimbal lock posted:

I think we can all agree that it being a lovely game was a poor excuse for the time that it took them to figure out what the game wanted out of them. But drat, some of you are ruthless. :stare:
We should probably cut them some slack.

Mario is Missing was the Dark Souls of its time.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Akratic Method posted:

Am I to understand there are more such abominations to be suffered by K&K?

I played all the main Mario games and the well-known spin-offs like Kart and Party, but I didn't know there was this whole other world of shittiness out there that Mario lived in.

Oh there's much more. We haven't even hit the Virtual Boy yet. :getin:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Squallege posted:

I'm neither Kyle nor Keith but I'll be picking it up since my Wii U since it needs a reason to not go in the closet. Also because if you register your copy of Mario Kart you get a free game.

I can't imagine what game Nintendo could be giving away for free that I don't already own. I have NSMB U, 3D World, Pikmin 3, and Tropical Freeze. I think the only 1st-party Nintendo title I don't have is...Nintendo Land.

The free game is going to be Nintendo Land, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Regy Rusty posted:

This game is hideously ugly and I hate it

I've recently realized that, if they ever did an HD remake of this game, it should use the same claymation art style as Rainbow Curse.

• Locked thread