Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Mangastream version: http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/39275120/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nahxela posted:

For a quick summary on Oracion Seis, they were the evil guild/group that went and kidnapped Wendy so they could revive Gerard. They wanted Gerard for the Nirvana magic weapon that Wendy's original guild's former members/founders created. It was a magic weapon that basically flipped people's good and evil natures if they were in the moral grey area. The Guild ended up being ~ghosts~ and Wendy joined Fairy Tail afterwards.
Cobra was one of the guys in Oracion Seis, he was a Lacryma Poison Dragon Slayer and had good hearing, as well as a pet snake that he fought with. Natsu fought him and beat him by yelling.

To be fair, he was fighting pretty evenly against Natsu before Brain shot him in the back.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

It means dont think about time travel too hard in media aimed at tweens.

Remember how Hermionie used time travel to double up on her studies in like, the second movie, and they never used it again even though Time Travel is incredibly broken and useful for all heroes? Just dont think about it.

She used it in the third one. All the Time Turners were destroyed at the end of the fifth book, probably for precisely that reason.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

No, I think it's the other way around.

In Timeline 1 the gate opened and all 10,000 dragons came through. Future Lucy then goes back in time to stop the gate from opening, creating Timeline 2.

In Timeline 2 Future Lucy successfully closes the gate, but Acnologia ends up ruling the world. Future Sting goes back in time to prevent Future Lucy from closing the gate, creating Timeline 3.

Timeline 3 is the current one. Because of Future Sting's intervention the future isn't going to be the same as Timeline 2.

Rogue, not Sting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thoren posted:

I had no idea we were playing with multiple timelines here until that graph at the beginning of this chapter.

Really weird way to break info to the reader about such a thing.

Yeah, it felt like Mashima thought we already knew all that and just needed to be reminded, even though some of it was actually new.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

It works on living things. She used it on the giant tree and gave everyone a power-up with it.

Plants don't count as living. She can't revive animals.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait, what? When did this happen?

During the Oracion Seis arc. Gerard used an ability called Flame of Rebuke or something like that to let Natsu use Dragon Force against Zero.

Zogundar posted:

Is that really what he meant though? Even ignoring the anime arc (Which I'm not sure you should since it's supposedly canon) there's only four of the original members worth freeing including himself, since I'm relatively sure Brain/Zero died, and Richard/Hoteye joined Team Friendship.

I think Brain is alive, but Racer is dead. And Angel is useless now because Lucy took her keys. So only three members worth freeing, including himself.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

At this point I kind of have to wonder how it is that the Magic Council always has such a hate boner for Fairy Tail. Apparently they've been a collection of the world's greatest mages for over a century, save the world on a fairly regular basis, and all the most important people apparently were members at one point or another. Is the not-king of Edolas just pissy because Markov won't get rid of the embarrassing pictures of not-king of Edolas' initiation?

It's because they cause too much property damage.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I want a Dragonslayer, or perhaps some kind of magic-user anathema to them that has a puppy sidekick now. One who gets on with Happy, chases Charle and is scared shitless of Pantherlily perhaps for the full range of reactions.

Maybe the God Slayers will get dogs.

I wonder what the deal with God Slayers is. Did they actually learn their powers from gods? What does it even mean to be a god in FTverse? Are there gods still around? Did some of the God Slayers actually kill gods? Would it be possible for one of the God Slayers to become a god, like Acnologia became a dragon? :iiam:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Also she was super hating on Lucy from the moment they met.

I'm not sure "hating" is the right word. :gay:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

This is really small, but it has been bugging me all day.

Tartarus are basically Fairy Tail's Satanists, but they have a demon slayer in their roster. It seems weird to me, and I've figured out 4 explanations that I'll accept.

A) It's just a title. Demon-Slayer magic is just really powerful, but gains no bonuses from use against demons.

B) It's insurance in case any of the demons they summon get out of hand.

C) It's to get rid of the competition. Tartarus doesn't want you serving those demons, they want you serving these demons.

D) Tartarus are running a massive con on the guy to keep him from finding out the truth.

I really want it to be D.

I'm leaning towards E) It does make you more effective against demons, but that doesn't mean every Demon Slayer likes killing demons; Natsu doesn't go around killing dragons.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogundar posted:

So, who will step up to the plate to defeat him? I don't think either Wendy or Lucy ever punch anyone. Some of Lucy's summons are melee and oh god why do I feel like I'm picking party members for an RPG boss fight :cripes:

Their best bet is probably either Gemini copying Natsu or some kind of stalling tactic to give Lucy and Gemini an opportunity to use Uranometria.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm actually not going to call bullshit here. Natsu had Wendy there to heal him while Lucy stalled, and his trick of positioning the affected part of his body to allow himself to eat the explosion makes sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

...did they just hint at lesbian action between the two female demons?

I missed that the first time I read the chapter. :aaa:

Mashima will be Mashima. :pervert:

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 18, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/369/2230/1

That's quite a cliffhanger.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Not that the chairman wasn't being dumb but... it kind of seems like the demons are being just as dumb? I mean, he's under their thumb anyway and is supposedly the only one who can use this apparently extremely useful super archive, kind of seems like they've thrown away something really valuable!

He won't be able to use Super Archive after Face goes off anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

The Face system they're trying to gain access to will render all magic void across the entire continent in perpetuity, leaving only them with power since they don't use magic but demon power. Which makes you wonder why he worked with them in the first place. Having magic seems like a pretty sweet deal to me, why would you help someone get rid of it for you and everyone else?

I assumed Kyouka brainwashed him, but come to think of it, that would mean he's a demon now and would be able to use Super Archive after Face anyway.

Prediction: Face will succeed, but Fairy Tail will use Ex-Balls to get their powers back.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 1, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

He unlocked his Mangekyo Sharingan, duh. :spergin:

I guess he got it when Ultear died? :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

attackbunny posted:

Evil Natsu Dragneel?

That makes a disturbing amount of sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Cana's 'arc' just revealed that she is largely incompetent and kind of dumb even when given an enormous power boost. Her latest bit was probably the first time she has done anything but get drunk in the background successfully. I think she might have won a fight in the tournament too, but I'm probably mistaken.

It wasn't a direct fight, but she won a game in the tournament with Fairy Glitter.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

One thing that puzzles me about Fairy Tail is how the creator is able to knock out four chapters like that, a feat he has done several times in the past (I recall Zeref's introduction was something like 3 chapters in one week). Every other weekly manga author is made out to just barely be completing a weekly strip alongside no social life and only a few hours sleep every night. Mashima's schedule seems no different than anyone else and I can't recall anytime he has ever missed a week due to illness/personal issues.

I wonder how that relates to FT being faster-paced than most shonen manga. I think Mashima just thinks fast (which isn't the same as being a good writer).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

I want to say it gets by on the strength of the characters, but I honestly can't even agree with that that much. Natsu is bland as hell, and while I like Lucy, Juvia, and Gray they get constantly sidelined. That pretty much just leaves Erza to carry the series, which she ably does. Maybe it's conditioning or desensitization, but Erza has been shown to be weird and kind of a little dumb enough that I'm okay with her choices of outfits, exploitative as they may be. That said, I don't think we've really had a strong arc in a while, probably not since the guild vs. guild fight way early on. A few decent moments, sure, but basically everything after Wendy's introduction has been kind of lame.

But seriously, Mashima, let Lucy, Gray, and Juvia actually do something for once?

I liked the tournament arc; it had a bunch of weird competitions that weren't straightforward fights, Erza fighting ALL the monsters, Cana actually accomplishing something with Fairy Glitter, and some focus on characters who weren't from FT. This supports my view that tournament and rescue arcs tend to be good, while war arcs and arcs where a bunch of protagonists fight a single powerful villain tend to be bad.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

I look forward to Lucy finally getting to do something cool on her own. And by do something cool on her own I of course mean immediately find soeone else and then they do everything, because Lucy is never allowed to do something cool on her own :(. Best we can hope for is that the other person will at least be Juvia or Kana,the other two chronically neglected prominent characters.

Kana already had her moment this arc, though.

And Lucy can never do something cool on her own, because her power is specifically summoning other people to do things for her. Interpreting "on her own" in the broader sense you probably meant, she can summon Cancer to cut everyone loose, I suppose.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogundar posted:

I.. guess you could say "Keith/Skull Man made him do it" to answer some of the questionable actions Silver did but that still leaves the "Filthy/disgusting name" line in reference to Gray as making little sense (Unless someone wants to dig up the raw to see if multiple translators got it wrong!)
Oh wait, he had enough free will to do other stuff like slaying demons or freezing villages on his own. I guess Mashima just wrote himself into a corner. :shrug:

I'm assuming the "Filthy/disgusting name" line was him pretending to be a loyal zombie.

It feels less tacked-on than Ultear's backstory/motivation, at least.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
END being a flame demon supports the "Evil Natsu Dragoneel" theory.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Mashima isn't very consistent about Zeref's motivations, is he?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thunderbro posted:

Sure he is, Zeref has been trying to get someone to kill him every time he's showed up! It's all he cares about!

I think you're making some kind of joke here, but I don't get it because I am dumb. Could you please explain?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Thunderbro posted:

Nope. Every single time he's met Natsu he's gone "So you're not strong enough yet huh...". The reason he cares about Natsu is because he has the potential to one day kill him. He basically has psycho mode where his powers are active, and good guy mode where they're mostly sealed but he indiscriminately kills everything around him without control. So he wants to die.

What about him wanting to kill all the other humans because he considers them evil, though? Which is especially silly because it's not like the demons are any better.

Edit: Or did he only want to kill all humans in psycho mode? I thought that was actually his goal when he was "good", while the "evil" Zeref wanted to do basically the same thing with even less of a reason, but I don't really remember.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 2, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

It's weird how shonen always seems to bend toward the main character having the least interesting personality and powers.

Least interesting personality, maybe, but I don't agree about powers. Luffy's rubber body and Naruto's Shadow Clones are pretty interesting, for example. In this particular case, I'm not sure why Gajeel's powers are any more interesting than Natsu's.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Reiche posted:

Haha I really thought this was gonna link to Togashi's romanized names for Hunter x Hunter.

I actually had the same thought.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

So I started reading this. I'm in the middle of the Galuna Island arc.

I like this manga! Like, a lot! I hope it doesn't self-destruct in a horrible way later on.

It doesn't really self-destruct, but it gets gradually dumber in certain respects over time

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

So do main villains get any cooler than Hades or is he pretty much the zenith

I'm not even a particularly big fan of Hades, but I'd say he's still a better main villain than the ones that come afterward.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
So Avatar is down to Arlock, Abel, and D6 now. Arlock's "Just as planned!" is obviously an attempt by Mashima to preserve tension, but it doesn't really work.

I wonder why Gray was going to kill Frosch. I don't think Mashima is enough of a hack to forget about something like that completely, but he's definitely enough of a hack to hand-wave it away instead of going anywhere with it.

I'm not thrilled with the revelation a few chapters ago that there were other branches of Avatar; Zeref cultists aren't a very compelling villain concept, and I'm not interested in seeing several more arcs of Avatar.

I do like the running gag of Lucy turning normal kicks and punches into shouted attack names.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 30, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogundar posted:

:sigh:

I love this manga but that was pretty disappointing.

At least we got a few tense pages out of it before the handwave. For Fairy Tail, that's better than expected.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

kohon posted:

I wonder if Mashima is going to explain how others can use Law. Considering what it did to Mavis when she used it.

Mavis used Law before she'd fully mastered it, IIRC.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 25, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Zeref's characterization actually makes sense now that it's clear the contradictory motivations are intentional.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm guessing Natsu's trump card involves Acnologia's lost arm.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cozz posted:

You know, I was just thinking that what this arc needed was Lucy and another female to sit naked in a bath tub.

Mashima's obsession with sexualized humiliation has gotten to the point where it's not just gross, it's tedious.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I was impressed too. When I read the previous chapter I'd assumed Erza had just won immediately by BELIEVING IN HER FRIENDS AND TRYING HARDER the way Fairy Tail characters sometimes do, and was relieved to see that Ajeel wasn't down yet and wouldn't be beaten by Erza alone.

Also interesting that Erza fought Ajeel instead of Dimaria, even though Dimaria is implied to be he one with powers similar to her own.

Speculation time: Wahl Icht has some kind of ability to trump rule-setting magic, which he used to undo Freed's barrier, much as Marin can trump spacial magic.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nilbop posted:

This has become one of those mangas where I'm cheering for the villains just because of how implausible their losses are and how the main cast refuse to do anything new or interesting.

Is there a new chapter out or are you talking about Ajeel? Because his loss seemed pretty plausible to me.

• Locked thread