Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spoilers Below posted:

Let's talk about one of the major influences on Anno himself, and Evangelion in particular: UFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XAIXP937Ac

Giant robot shows seem to love UFO for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsJj7qR6Djw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Spoilers Below posted:

Let's talk about one of the major influences on Anno himself, and Evangelion in particular: UFO

To add more the connection; some of Evangelion's character designs were also based on the actors in UFO. Gendo is heavily based on Ed Bishop who played Ed Straker (I mean, just look at the picture in the post), and Fuyutsuki is based on George Sewell in the role of Col. Alec E. Freeman, who has pretty much the same post in SHADO as Fuyutsuki has in NERV.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 27, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shoehead posted:

I wonder how much the Ghibli short was influenced by Anno being super into Gerry Anderson. It really felt like an episode of Thunderbirds were everything explodes for 20 minutes, not to mention the marionettes.

I loved how it mixed live action footage in at the beginning, then it's just a straight-up guy in a suit rampaging a cardboard city. It reminded me of the monster fights in Power Rangers with FX updated for 2013.

Were those things at the beginning supposed to be the First Ancestral Race returning, or was it supposed to be the 3rd impact and those things are all the Eva's we see when Kaworu takes Shinji to see the destruction he caused?

EDIT: Someone pointed out they were Marionettes and I think that's correct. There's a walking shot and the monsters have like NO weight to them, which is a shame because the shot looks amazing paused, but it's lame in motion.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 27, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well, finally saw the third movie. Not sure what to think right now, my only impression being that very little of substance actually happened at all.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

ACanofPepsi posted:

I loved how it mixed live action footage in at the beginning, then it's just a straight-up guy in a suit rampaging a cardboard city. It reminded me of the monster fights in Power Rangers with FX updated for 2013.

Were those things at the beginning supposed to be the First Ancestral Race returning, or was it supposed to be the 3rd impact and those things are all the Eva's we see when Kaworu takes Shinji to see the destruction he caused?

EDIT: Someone pointed out they were Marionettes and I think that's correct. There's a walking shot and the monsters have like NO weight to them, which is a shame because the shot looks amazing paused, but it's lame in motion.

I'm pretty sure those are the Kyoshinhei that destroyed most of the world in the prologue of Nausicaa, with it being a Ghibli short and all.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Popehoist posted:

new subtitles are out that are timed to the home release. So you can just load these into your media player after you insert your 3.33 blu-ray disc.

Having trouble making these work. I'm using VLC which has worked before. Grrr

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Sakurazuka posted:

Well, finally saw the third movie. Not sure what to think right now, my only impression being that very little of substance actually happened at all.

Is this a joke? Or are you just stupid?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two Worlds posted:

Is this a joke? Or are you just stupid?

Stupid, I guess. Thanks for the insightful reply though!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sakurazuka posted:

Stupid, I guess. Thanks for the insightful reply though!

Just off the top of my head...

Shinji no longer has any sync ratio with Unit-01.

Asuka has an better reason than ever to hate Shinji, but has matured enough to help and maybe even forgive him.

Gendo killed SEELE which basically rules out a direct repeat of EoE.

Mari is old enough to have known Yui when Shinji was born.

Rei is still alive post-Third Impact, albeit without memories. (I think/hope they're going for a double-fakeout here, Shinji accepted that it isn't "really" her awfully quickly.)

"Hope and atonement."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just off the top of my head...

Shinji no longer has any sync ratio with Unit-01.

Asuka has an better reason than ever to hate Shinji, but has matured enough to help and maybe even forgive him.

Gendo killed SEELE which basically rules out a direct repeat of EoE.

Rei is still alive post-Third Impact, albeit without memories. (I think/hope they're going for a double-fakeout here, Shinji accepted that it isn't "really" her awfully quickly.)

"Hope and atonement."

Yeah, I got most of that though I'm unconvinced that that's the pre-Third Impact original Rei, since there as a deliberate scene of her outside the 'Rei cloning tank'. I guess my perception of story progression has been completely thrown off by the break from the original TV series, even though I knew that was coming.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Regarding Rei, I don't necessarily mean physically. It's not like the degree to which each of Rei's incarnations is distinct from the others (or even from Yui) was ever made clear to begin with, and who knows what's actually up with the tape recorder.

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Aside from the Curse Of Eva (or whatever) what do you mean? did i miss a major point where they show that she knows Yui?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FakeBlood posted:

Aside from the Curse Of Eva (or whatever) what do you mean? did i miss a major point where they show that she knows Yui?

Mari, or someone who looks just like her, is in the photo that Fuyutsuki gives Shinji. Then later she tells Rei something along the lines of "You know, your original was a lot easier to get along with."

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mari, or someone who looks just like her, is in the photo that Fuyutsuki gives Shinji. Then later she tells Rei something along the lines of "You know, your original was a lot easier to get along with."

It's more likely that the -nami girls are all clones.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

who knows what's actually up with the tape recorder.

zillion percent chance it contains her soul

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Riddle of Feel posted:

It's more likely that the -nami girls are all clones.

I think she's really just that old. She doesn't have the achromia thing going on that Rei and Kaworu do as artificial humans, her "original" comment implies she has clear memories going all the way back, she has an incredible amount of experience and confidence re: Eva piloting compared to Shinji or even Asuka, plus in the absence of more concrete evidence it's the explanation with the fewest assumptions.

single-mode fiber posted:

zillion percent chance it contains her soul

I hope so, and that it's restorable, but Rei has gotten hosed so many times in Evangelion that it wouldn't surprise me if it's a dead end.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 27, 2013

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think she's really just that old. She doesn't have the achromia thing going on that Rei and Kaworu do as artificial humans, her "original" comment implies she has clear memories going all the way back, she has an incredible amount of experience and confidence re: Eva piloting compared to Shinji or even Asuka, plus in the absence of more concrete evidence it's the explanation with the fewest assumptions.

I figured the red eyes/silver hair thing is a result of Kaworu and Rei being angels in a human vessel, though. Asuka and Mari could just be plain ol' humans who were created artificially for the purpose of Eva piloting. It's interesting that they went out of their way to change Asuka's name so that all the girls' names in -nami. There's also the fact that Asuka was selected to test pilot Unit 03 instead of Toji, and no mention of the Marduk Institute or Shinji's class being potential pilots in Rebuild, iirc. These are small departures from the original show, but if they didn't mean anything why would they bother making those changes in the first place? I think there's something definitely suspect about Mari and Asuka, even if they aren't straight-up clones

Segata Sanshiro fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 27, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I thought that the woman in the photo of Yui and Shinji was Asuka's mom, for some reason. That said I have no idea what Asuka's mom looks like outside of a swinging silhouette..

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
is the 10 minutes live action thing available somewhere on its own?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Feranon posted:

I figured the red eyes/silver hair thing is a result of Kaworu and Rei being angels in a human vessel, though. Asuka and Mari could just be plain ol' humans who were created artificially for the purpose of Eva piloting. It's interesting that they went out of their way to change Asuka's name so that all the girls' names in -nami. There's also the fact that Asuka was selected to test pilot Unit 03 instead of Toji, and no mention of the Marduk Institute or Shinji's class being potential pilots in Rebuild, iirc. These are small departures from the original show, but if they didn't mean anything why would they bother making those changes in the first place? I think there's something definitely suspect about Mari and Asuka, even if they aren't straight-up clones

An all-clone pilot corps would explain why Shinji was never trained to pilot. Also, the three girl's names don't just share the -nami bit, the Shikinami and Makinami were warships of the same class as the Ayanami. That could be a reference to all three being clones, or it could be a reference to all three pilots' mothers working for Nerv- Yui's maiden name is Ayanami in rebuild.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Shoehead posted:

I thought that the woman in the photo of Yui and Shinji was Asuka's mom, for some reason. That said I have no idea what Asuka's mom looks like outside of a swinging silhouette..

I agree with this, Its too old to be Mari and it looks a hell of a lot like Asuka.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FiftySeven posted:

I agree with this, Its too old to be Mari and it looks a hell of a lot like Asuka.

No, she really doesn't. And the age thing is pretty easily explained if Evangelion pilots don't age.

For reference, here's the picture: http://i.imgur.com/Nv0w1xv.jpg

And here are a bunch of Mari: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Mari_Makinami_Illustrious

Mari has the same glasses, the same hair, the same face shape, the same color scheme. I mean she might conceivably be Mari's mother or clone stock or whatever, but she's definitely the one she's related to.

I don't think we ever get a good look at Asuka's mother in any media, but her page has this as a portrait: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Kyoko_Zeppelin_Soryu

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 27, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, she really doesn't. And the age thing is pretty easily explained if Evangelion pilots don't age.

And here are a bunch of Mari: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Mari_Makinami_Illustrious

Mari has the same glasses, the same hair, the same face shape, the same color scheme.

I don't think we ever get a good look at Asuka's mother in any media, but her page has this as a portrait: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Kyoko_Zeppelin_Soryu

I think it's interesting to note that the glasses-chick in the photo has the same hairstyle as Asuka, along with the little "ear" thingies. I literally just finished watching the movie and just saw that preview, and it looked to me like (at least in the final few seconds of the preview) the non-green Eva was a combination of Mari's and Asuka's eva split right down the middle. I'm not sure where I stand on this Asuka-Mari relationship, but it seems obvious that there's obviously something weird going on.

Also, in regards to Mari's experience in piloting Evas, I'm pretty sure that she makes some comments at the start of 2.22 that imply it's the first time she's piloted an Eva. However, I don't have the time right now to go look that up.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's also possible that they went the same direction as Rei and Mari is in fact a clone of Asuka's mom. Except the kicker is she's a more successful clone compared to Rei because she has a personality and other defining traits as opposed to Rei's doll-like demeanor. That could also explain why she was able to pilot EVA-02 so efficiently.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
As always, there's a hell of a lot to process.

Gainax still puts on a son et lumiere like no one else, and I still love all the stuff they do with the support systems for Evas. They completely throw traditional narrative structure out the window, though, and that makes it a bitch to get a good handle on.

I still get the feeling that if anyone in Wille had bothered to tell Shinji anything at all about what had happened and what they knew about what was going on, things would have turned out differently. "Brat Shinji!" is not a very good way to convince someone to stop what they're doing.

It felt like some of the characters were primarily there to make room for some big-name VAs to get in on the fun.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I feel like I just watched the middle chunk of what was originally a 3 hour long movie. Really pretty and action packed, but with little to no reason for me to care about any of the new characters or what might come after this now that the Angels are all gone and Instrumentality was thwarted.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 28, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I still get the feeling that if anyone in Wille had bothered to tell Shinji anything at all about what had happened and what they knew about what was going on, things would have turned out differently. "Brat Shinji!" is not a very good way to convince someone to stop what they're doing.

Well, Rebuild Shinji is child-like. This is emphasized throughout the movies, for instance when Gendo dismisses his hijacking Unit-01 to attack NERV HQ as a childish tantrum. Of course Gendo of all people knows that Shinji is in no position to make informed, adult decisions because he relies on Shinji being incapable of making them.

Misato is more complicated; on the one hand, she actually cares about Shinji. On the other hand, from the very beginning of the TV series she's used Shinji as a tool in her revenge against the Angels and lived vicariously through his successes. Third Impact is basically Gendo taking her toy away and using it for himself, and she reacts to this as if Shinji personally betrayed her. But the time of 3I itself, she was cheering him on. So in 3.33 she treats him like garbage, hands him a death sentence, and only begins to understand how badly she hosed up when Gendo once again uses his superior understanding of Shinji's psychology to snatch him away from her.

(Incidentally one of the things that makes Rebuild Gendo even more hideously evil than series Gendo is that yeah, he absolutely understands what Shinji's going through. He's knowingly pushing his own trauma onto his son in order to cure himself of that trauma.)

Kaworu is interesting because he's like a vision of what Shinji "ought" to be: sanguine, all-forgiving, ready to take on the guilt of the world. But it doesn't change anything. Kaworu is simultaneously just as manipulated and used as Shinji, and potentially complicit in his manipulation. He befriends Shinji, essentially by being the only person who treats him like a human being, then tells him he's to blame for everything, and nothing else. Not a word about SEELE, or Gendo, or anything else to put it in context: just "Even so, you did this." And it's not like Kaworu doesn't know; he's constantly muttering to himself about the "King of the Lilim," the spears, etc. He claims to be Shinji's friend, but he treats him, in every respect -- like a child.

And it comes back to bite him in the rear end, because when the moment of truth comes along, Kaworu is paralyzed with indecision. Remember the scene with the piano, where Shinji is a total novice and Kaworu is a master? Piloting Unit-13 is supposed to be "just like that." Now, to be fair, he finally suggests that they back down and not do anything. This is after like half a (film) hour of guilt-tripping Shinji and pushing him down this exact path, but still, Shinji pulls out those spears on his own. And at least just before he dies, Kaworu gives Shinji some good advice: that what he needs is a place of peace where he can find his balance and think of a way to atone.

And that's the crux of 3.33: Shinji slowly, painfully inching towards independence while every mistake he makes is amplified into cataclysm. A pretty decent metaphor for being a teenager, except that what should only be a disaster in his own mind is one for the whole planet because his parents and surrogate-parents are all abusive monsters. It's pretty obvious what the fix is, though: let him grow up. Conveniently, the Evangelions are literally machines that stop you from growing up; Misato is right, he has to get away from the things.

I kind of need a rewatch so I can frame this more coherently, and also pay more attention to Asuka and Mari's role in 3.33, because they're the ones who actually want to offer him the chance to see the world and grow, in the end. And that's the most promising thing about 3.33's ending: Shinji is finally in the company of people who can help him until he's able to help himself.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 28, 2013

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mari has the same glasses, the same hair, the same face shape, the same color scheme. I mean she might conceivably be Mari's mother or clone stock or whatever, but she's definitely the one she's related to.

Honestly, aside from the glasses I think she looks nothing like Mari, and she looks too mature in the picture to be her.

Mari has a twin tail hair style which is parted totally differently, the hair is a much lighter colour, and the front of the hair is pretty much identical to how Asuka's hair is styled.

Honestly though its a big claim to make from a 5 second glimpse of a photo. Speculate all you want but there is absolutely nothing concrete either way. I personally think its likely Asuka's mother, it makes a hell of a lot more sense considering that she is known to be the test pilot for Eva Unit two, and is extremely likely to have known Yui around that time period, considering they both just had children around that time, and they would have certainly known each other considering their jobs. But hey, its just speculation, I dont get why you feel that its so certain.

EDIT: Have a closer look. http://i.imgur.com/pd4WlJ3.jpg

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 28, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ha, well that was something. I would agree that it felt like a lot of style over substance, with all kinds of eye candy and not much in the way of an actual narrative outside of Kaworu's interactions with Shinji. On its own I felt this was kind of a poor movie, but there was absolutely nothing that would dissuade me from getting excited for the fourth film.

Also the UTW 1080p encode was either helluva awful or my computer was throwing a fit; saw a ton of artifacts all over the place.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FiftySeven posted:

I dont get why you feel that its so certain.

Mostly because Mari talks about knowing Rei's "original" later in the film. If I'm not misremembering, she never even met or spoke to Rei in Rebuild 1 or 2, so if not Yui, who is she talking about?

I'll get you an exact quote and timestamp after I rewatch it with the UTW translation.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mostly because Mari outright talks about knowing Rei's "original" later in the film.

I'll get you an exact quote and timestamp after I rewatch it with the UTW translation.

That could easily be a reference to an earlier clone. I doubt there will be a huge twist related to Mari because she's not that important of a character- she's mostly eye candy and a foil for Asuka.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That could easily be a reference to an earlier clone. I doubt there will be a huge twist related to Mari because she's not that important of a character- she's mostly eye candy and a foil for Asuka.

I don't really agree but considering it's going to be at least a year until we have any chance whatsoever of resolving this argument, I'd rather just drop it and talk about the stuff in my other post. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Given how 3.33 was it would not surprise me in the least if it was never brought up again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't really agree but considering it's going to be at least a year until we have any chance whatsoever of resolving this argument
Resolution of mysteries? In Eva?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Given how 3.33 was it would not surprise me in the least if it was never brought up again.

The question to ask is, "Is this relevant to Shinji's personal journey?" and if the answer is no, it probably won't get much focus. A 26 episode television series has room to develop a cast of secondary characters, a series of four ninety minute films doesn't, at least not in as much detail.

So far these films have been very economical, cutting out a lot of material that isn't relevant to Shinji's journey. Even the bit where Kaji tells him about Misato is for his benefit, and to establish her motivations in the cheering scene at the end of 2.22- she's not cheering Shinji on, she's living vicarious through him. Kaji has no relationship to Asuka because Asuka's psychological issues from the series aren't present. The puppet she keeps is there as a signal to the audience that her "origin story" as such doesn't apply her; it's literally the opposite of how that other character behaves.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The question to ask is, "Is this relevant to Shinji's personal journey?" and if the answer is no, it probably won't get much focus. A 26 episode television series has room to develop a cast of secondary characters, a series of four ninety minute films doesn't, at least not in as much detail.

So far these films have been very economical, cutting out a lot of material that isn't relevant to Shinji's journey.
Except the character in question is one that was added for this series of movies, and I certainly wouldn't say she was relevant for his journey in the second movie. And what is there in the third isn't very substantial and from this very conversation boils down to guesswork.

I will say that 3.33 has at least seemingly managed to make her not seem like a fanfiction-added character, at least. Though it's not like she actually has any sort of arc in the movie either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mari is probably going to have a purpose because otherwise there's no reason for her to exist other than to give Maaya Sakamoto a paycheck. Considering that the movie otherwise has been extremely economical with removing characters it doesn't make much sense to introduce a new Eva pilot and not have her be meaningful in some way. It's pretty dumb that it's going to take at least three movies to get to the point she isn't Maaya Sakamoto Gets A Paycheck though.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Nate RFB posted:

Also the UTW 1080p encode was either helluva awful or my computer was throwing a fit; saw a ton of artifacts all over the place.

I have watched three different encodes, and the utw one was the best by a mile. I didn't see any artifacting and there was almost no banding, and I was watching on a professionally calibrated 50" screen.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I'm pretty ambivalent on the movie as a whole but their sound design just floored me. It's just such a beauty to listen to, everything sounds like it's coming from massive metal monsters when it needs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEARS IN THE BARN
Oct 9, 2004

Even the bit where Kaji tells him about Misato is for his benefit, and to establish her motivations in the cheering scene at the end of 2.22- she's not cheering Shinji on, she's living vicarious through him.

There's a scene in 3.0 that really drives this point home and I'm glad you worded it in the way that her cheering him on was living vicariously through him:
At the beginning when Ritsuko and Asuka are dropping knowledge on Shinji aboard Wunder, Shinji asks where Rei is to which Asuka responds with:
All this fuss over one person. The world doesn't have time to cater to your ego. Isn't that right Misato?
While Asuka wasn't there when the whole thing happened and may not even be aware that Misato was cheering Shinji on, that comment+delivery still came across really standoffish. Even so, I'm sure since both of them share the same rank now Asuka is at least aware that Misato is guilty over the last 10 minutes of 2.0.

Also Rei II(I?) totally picked up the SDAT at the end and will somehow inspire confidence in Shinji in 4.0 with it. The magic SDAT of hopes and dreams.