Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
My first experience with Eva was my dad sitting me down and telling me about this awesome show with giant robots fighting each other. I think I was around seven or eight at the time as well.

The first thing I saw in the first episode Eva I ever sat down to watch? Shinji yelling that he had no choice but to kill someone and then words on a black background asking him why he did it. I didn't know what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The crazy apocalyptic imagery in Evangelion 3.33 is so good. From those failed crystal beings, the landscape detailed in the above posts, the crevasse of teeth, the huge decaying body of Lillith and the field of skulls, the ruined NERV base and the blasted geofront, the dessicated head that Gendo speaks to... It's all so amazing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

You don't ever go full Gendo.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Gendo is, perhaps, my favourite character in NGE and, so, here is my reading on him. In short, he's a dark mirror of Shinji. Same feelings, similar life but where Shinji hurts himself, Gendo hurts others. Gendo is not a sociopath, he knows what he is doing is wrong, he knows what he is doing hurts people, but it's all in the service of restoring Yui and, perhaps, in doing so, restoring what Gendo sees as his humanity. In Gendo's mind, I think he thought he could just bring Yui back then make amends with Shinji. I don't think Gendo understood the true extent of the damage he was doing ('It doesn't matter, Shinji will be happy to have his mother back and we'll be a family again!'). He's not sociopathic - just extremely selfish and coldly logical - and had enough self-awareness to be scared that he would be a bad father to Shinji without Yui.

Yui must have known that vanishing into Unit 01 would destroy Gendo and revert him to his misanthropic personality as he had been before they met. It's almost tragic that the puppetmaster was most manipulated by the one person he would never suspect would do him harm. It's very NGE, that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I thought it was obvious that Gendo and SEELE's plans for Instrumentality were almost certainly mutually exclusive and that's why SEELE decided to wipe NERV out. Gendo had outmanoeuvred SEELE to such an extent that they had no option except the application of overwhelming force.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think the alien stuff is dumb as heck and the best interpretation of Eva is when, yes, they're actually angels and such. It's much cooler to replicate a literal god or angel through science than it is to just clone some sort of alien being. :colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

For handchat, there's also Rei asking Shinji in EoE "Then what are your hands for?"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zeruel posted:

Guys,
what's with the giant red maw in Eva 3.0? Seriously its boggling my mind, I can't figure out what it is.

Was it GNR's skull what was buried underground?

I literally have no other clue.

Can't be that. And that's because we see the GNR head in NERV HQ.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GpeXAsIKY

I like this one. It's like some weird mash up of Red Dwarf and Eva. "Oy, you startin' us, Gendo? You betta' stop startin' us, Gendo!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I thought Pen-Pen was the 17th Angel.
Misato sent him to live with someone else in one of the later TV episodes.

I think she sent him to live with Hikari and her family.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Del Toro hasn't seen Eva, but Travis Beacham - the writer - has.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

trucutru posted:

They are emotionally unstable maniacs that have managed to survive in a lovely, lovely place for more than a decade.

We don't know how well they managed to survive. Given that the human race has seemingly dwindled from a world to a motley fleet and that a lot of the characters we know are absent (prsumably dead), they certainly haven't managed to survive very well.

Also, given how different the world is to what we saw when Shinji saving Rei, it seems likely that a whole lot more was blamed on him than what he was actually responsible for.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Didn't Gendo show Fuyutski one of the EVA-00 prototypes? I remember him showing him that after Fuyutski threatens to go public with everything and Gendo asks Fuyutski to help him 'create a new genesis for mankind' or something?

Gendo doesn't have Aspergers or anything of the sort. Gendo was a different person before Yui was lost to him. This is something directly stated by Fuyutski. They might have been friends prior to that but, since that day, and definitely by the time of the series, it's a pair of old men who don't really like each other, trapped by sheer inertia and fate to finish what was started no matter the cost.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

For some reason, one of my favourite scenes - in the sense that it sticks with me vividly - is a scene from End of Evangelion. It's the scene where Shinji meekly asks 'Is it okay for me to be here?', is promptly met with a black void of nothingness and silence, and he just screams.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I kind of wish that we got to see more about the SEELE moon base and the big thing they found there. That was cool.

I think ImpAtom is right as far as Rebuild 1.0 goes. It was just a straight up remake of the show. Even 2.0 pretty much was. It seemed to be heading for a 'things will go down differently during the last 'arc' and it might be a happy ending!' It was only 3.0 where things started to get really weird, but 3.0 is still fantastic.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Speaking of Yui, the flashback/memory shot of her in 3.33 makes her look something look Unit 13. Arms crossed over her chest with red glowing circle things on the back of her hands, just like Unit 13's secondary arms.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Do you think one of the SEELE monolith guys was all "Um, excuse me, excuse me, I have something to say. Um, hi, I'm just wondering, should we really be putting our life support system in each reach of this Gendo guy? I mean, he's not exactly trustworthy..."?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I also can't really think of any sex or sex appeal that is presented throughout Evangelion that isn't creepy, weird, horrific or otherwise has a negative effect on the characters.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Good point, GulMadred. That is probably the only one. I think I meant to say that there isn't any sex or sex appeal from Shinji's perspective that isn't creepy, weird, horrific or negative - not that that's any slight on what you presented!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

This has pretty much nothing to do with what you said, but god loving drat Hyuga and Misato standing in front of the terrifying bandaged EVA-01 is a powerful image.

I love that - the use of masks and bandages and such to hide the faces of Evangelions and Angels evokes such a wonderful 'you cannot look upon the face of God' idea.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, I'm mostly speaking in the sense of holy gently caress EVA-01 looks scary like that. :stonk:

Well yeah, that too!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Does rebuild do that? I know that having units all the way up to 13 makes the Eva's less special, but...hmm actually yeah 3.33 makes them seem a lot more like standard mechs... Now I'm sad. What was up with the giant Eva unit that had the sears in it though?

That was ___Lillith___

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Are you referring to the Mark 6? :psyduck:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah but apparently they had no problem potentially triggering a nuclear meltdown with their sabotage. I mean, Misato only barely manages to stop it. :v:

Misato didn't stop it, did she? I was under the impression it was cancelled remotely at Gendo's behest. Like, doesn't she board it and try to stop it and at the last possible second everything is mysteriously fixed and cut to Gendo getting off the phone or something?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

To be quite honest, I think Gendo was a completely different person when he knew Yui. Just look at how he acts in the flashback episode. Sure, he was involved with SEELE but he was hardly the amoral pragmatist (Gendo isn't a sociopath) that we all know and love at that point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Squallege posted:

The whole ordeal with Bardiel makes him pretty unsympathetic in my eyes.

Units Zero and Two were down and Shinji was refusing to fight, stating that he would literally 'rather die'. What else could Gendo do?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

While the TV and EoE endings can work together, I will always insist that they are different and not perfectly compatible. In EoE, Shinji rejects Instrumentality. In the series, Shinji appears to accept it and this acceptance is greeted by the applause of everyone around him - alive or dead - in a strange, bizarre landscape.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

sniper4625 posted:

I was linked to this: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/22755/20140522/neon-genesis-evangelion-live-action.htm

Haven't been able to find any more reputable sources confirming, but if true, that's uh...unexpected.

I want this to be true. I want this to be so very true.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Squallege posted:

I'll always remember One Hour Photo for that dumb kid saying that the Mass Produced Evangelion was a good guy that grows giant and kills bad guys with a sword.

Wasn't that intentional thanks to Robin Williams?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

So that Transformers x Evangelion thing I posted a while ago has more information.

Although, the following is all you really need to see to understand:

Ahahaah what the gently caress :psyduck:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The first episode of Eva my dad showed me was the second-last one. Yeah.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I can only imagine people really disliking EVA coming into it now because the whole 'angels are actually aliens and it's all super-technology' thing is widespread all over the Internet. It's possibly the least interesting take on EVA possible and, really, makes EVA lose a ton of its narrative punch without the crazy religious bent. The main antagonist isn't a sad, lonely man facing down the natural order itself to get his wife back, it's just some guy who found the on switch for some alien technology, basically, and sets a whole different tone and set of conventions and expectations for the story. I've said this a few times in the thread though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, you've seen Rebuild I presume so your opinion is definitely of more worth than mine on this but all I've heard is people saying it's quite different. You're saying it's more or less the same as the original?

Rebuild 1 is virtually exactly the same. Essentially a shot-for-shot remake with new visuals and one or two plot changes.

Rebuild 2 is similar. It's pretty much exactly the same, plot-wise, as the series although there are a number of differences. However, the film goes completely off the rails in the last fifteen minutes or so.

Rebuild 3 has some similar themes, ideas and characters from the last part of the series but is completely new as far as plot and story goes. This film is incredibly divisive - I personally love it.

I'd check out Rebuild. My girlfriend couldn't get past the third episode of the TV series but has seen all the Rebuild movies.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 20, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

FPR, you are kind of grating, dude.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

DrPop posted:

I just rewatched EoE and it got me thinking again. Some questions:

• What were SEELE's goals in directing the JSSDF to attack NERV HQ? Obviously kill the Children and anyone involved with NERV, but then what? Were they trying to take Adam back from Gendo, to then initiate Instrumentality under their own terms? What would the purpose of the Evas then be? They seem to still want to have all souls be jammed up together, and don't care--that much, despite their attack on NERV--by which means that's achieved (given Lorenz' seeming apathy toward getting zapped into LCL and ostensibly being aware of the fact that not everything is going as they wanted)
  • Along those lines, just what exactly are the MP Evas/SEELE doing to Eva-01 as Gendo hangs out with Rei in Terminal Dogma? They probably didn't know what was going on down there when they started their "Red Earth Purification Ceremony," so were they presumably planning on doing the whole merge-Adam-with-Lilith thing after turning Eva-01 into the Tree of Life?
  • What are the necessary requirements for initiating Third Impact in NGE/EoE? If it's just merge-Adam-with-Lilith, why doesn't Gendo do that right after acquiring Adam, and use a presumably much more submissive Rei? Do the Angels have to be defeated first? What's Eva-01 (or any of the Evas, for that matter) got to do with it? The MP seems to serve some purpose for the ceremony of initiating TI, but SEELE seems indifferent toward the destruction of Eva-02.

I have more that I forgot.

Unit-01 is the only NERV Eva that actually matters. And, yeah, it seemed like all the Angels had to be defeated first - I think Gendo says as much after Kawaru was killed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Isn't it pretty clear though that Shinji didn't cause all or even most of the destruction we see in 3.0?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

UberJumper posted:

I just saw this (it is an extra from the manga release), it is about Mari...

http://imgur.com/oTyq8F1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JQHSBCh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5uRLWEh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/K8Pjg2n.jpg

Is that Mari with Shinji's mom?

:psyduck:

Looks like it to me. It's also something we saw in the third Rebuild with Fuyutski showing Shinji that photo of his mother which had Mari in it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Effectronica posted:

There's probably something to do with how, to play on a swing, you (generally) need another person to push you, who you're dependent on and must trust to do it.

It's also reminiscent of time passing (for example, the time it took Shinji to build the sandcastle) and of being static. A swing goes forwards and goes backwards but never goes anywhere or advances in any way - like Shinji, who is pretty constantly in a dance of one step forwards, one step backwards throughout much of the series.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

So this might be an utterly retarded thinking-too-much question, but here goes.

In End of Evangelion, there's several shots of playground swings: one during the scene where Shinji's building a sandcastle, one right after the ex-girlfriend hell/right before the real world segment, and one during the real world segment. Since everything in EoE is apparently painfully symbolic, what do the swings represent?

and, if i remember right, the hills behind the swingset look like breasts and the swingset and two other objects look kind of phallic beneath them

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, it's not the only pendulum in the film -- there's also that giant fucker in the Minister's office, which seems to have no discernible purpose beyond mauling unwary secretaries. I've never understood what the gently caress that was about, but I assume there's some sort of connection?

the giant pendulum is an obvious reference to time, future, whatever, but it's also kind of ominous in a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

House Louse posted:

It's a "The Pit and the Pendulum" reference, to go with the "Cask of Amontillado" one in the main series.

where's the cask of amontillado reference in the main series?