Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wachter posted:

So I watched 3.33 and as far as I'm concerned, the contents of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-s3nJ6wteE pretty much confirms the concurrent/overlapping timeline theory. I thought that Kaworu's revelation of the identical twin spears followed by an image of GNR was pretty on the nose, but then you've got Mari telling a Rei clone that she prefers the original, and finally two Unit-01s occupying the same space? C'mon, now.

Where are you getting two Unit-01s occupying the same space from? Unit-13 had four-arms and was made that way so it could dual-wield the spears. It certainly looks exactly like 01, but what you said requires there to be three Unit-01s. Two to make Unit-13 and another in the Wunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

I watched the three Rebuild movies in one go with some friends. We made a drinking game out of "Rei staring blankly into space" and "Gendo pose". I vetoed "Shinji fails".
Needless to say, the 3rd one was confusing as hell for me. I spent the entirety of the movie somewhere between :confused: and :stonk: ... Also, the constant red background was kinda hard to look at. And the finale was basically a frantic mess of spaceship tentacles, a 12th angel out of nowhere, giant Rei/Lilith (?) head and RED. Maybe it'll make more sense next time... But I kinda doubt it. I still don't know what the hell attacked the magic spacewhale ship, even after looking it up. Apparently, it's an EVA of some sort...? Hm.

Also, I missed Kaji. Don't you dare die inbetween movies!

EDIT: Eeeeeh, spoilering that.

Given that Shinji (maybe? The actual sequence of events is quite muddled, and it seems a lot of things happened after Kaworu got Shinji with the spear) caused a near third impact, you'd have to take one HELL of a drink if Shinji fails was in the rules. You'd be completely smashed as soon as you finished the second movie.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I like to think of the scrolls as a literal instruction manual on how to use your gigantic biologic terraformers.

"Should your Adam unit go into hibernation, it is vital that you do not attempt to awaken it without the guidance of a qualified technician. Unauthorized attempts to access your Adam unit will void your warranty."

The prophecies are just a guide on all the terrible things that will happen if you misuse your angels.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

9. Somehow, Seele / Gendo figure out how to manufacture angels. Huge-rear end battles ensue. Misato and co create their awesome space whale ship to fight the new threat, and to power it, they retrieve Shinji and Unit-01 from space.

That one's pretty easy to explain, considering that Evas are basically already angel clones with cybernetic parts. It's probably more accurate to say that they simply got better at manufacturing angels.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Szmitten posted:

The dub of Evangelion are kind of riddled with iffy poo poo, they took a lot of liberties with lines (soldier flamethrowing a NERV employee: "aaaaaaaah..."Hit him again" "AAAAAAAAA") and sound effects, and kind of revealed their stupidity in the commentaries. Like, "there's no word for "I" in Japanese", and replacing the sound effect in the transition from Kaji's final moments to a Shinji/Asuka exchange (intended to be Asuka slapping Shinji) with a really loud gunshot because "God I dunno that gunshot sounded so wimpy it sounded like a slap so we got a better one."

Bewildering.

EDIT: Yeah, Manga specifically but a lot of ADV staff helped so who knows what the gently caress.

Whaaat. There's lots of words for I in japanese. The problem in translating that is BECAUSE they have lots of words for I with different connotations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have an actual question about the characters then. This is a hold-over from the original series but seeing Rebuild reminded me that I never understood it.

Gendo's whole motive and drive is "for Yui" right? It justifies and sustains him in all the evil poo poo he does. Some people use that one line from End of Evangelion to say "see! He did care about Shinji all along!" However, for the entire series, he was a straight-up jerk to Shinji. One of the many ways he mistreated Shinji was lavishing all his affection on another, namely Rei. As Shinji just said "Rei Ayanami, why does dad smile when he sees her and why doesn't he smile for me?"

And so I'm curious why he gives a crap about her? Or at leas the pretends to give a crap about her? He's at least superficially nicer to her than anyone else.

Because she looks like Yui, and also because she's also sort of his daughter that he made in a lab. At one point there's a flashback where Yui and Gendo are talking potential names for children, and the choice they make is Shinji for a boy and Rei for a girl.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not their fault. They were trying to chat up emotionally vulnerable, horribly hosed up people. Maybe if they talked to someone less hosed up than Asuka (wouldn't be hard to find someone like that) it wouldn't have turned out so bad.

Also humans are kinda like some giant glitch apparently and the Angels are just trying to reboot things. The Angel Antivirus being nice enough to talk to the glitch is a polite gesture it didn't have to try.

But then what the gently caress is the point? Are you saying Kaworu couldn't have caused Third Impact anyway because he needs Adam and not Lilith to do it?

But his entire sacrifice and telling Shinji to kill him was because he had chosen not to end the world. If I'm reading you right, he couldn't have ended the world anyway.

Humans aren't a glitch exactly. They were just not meant to be there. Adam landed first and was going to make angels, then Lilith landed and apparently shut Adam down. By jamming a lance into him maybe, since those are apparently designed to put angels into sleep mode.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Applewhite posted:

No I get it, I just still think it's stupid.

We must have watched a different 2.0 because he kicked rear end at the end of that film and I was like "oh, maybe this character will finally be tolerable now."

The end of 2.0 was him throwing a hissy fit like a child rather than actually doing anything meaningful to change his situation.

Although saying that I'd totally watch an alternate version of 3.0 where Shinji just goes loving berserk constantly and smashes poo poo up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah even if you don't give a poo poo about the overall plot Shenji arc is only halfway done. He is at his low point it would be like ending the original at like 20.

Did he ever actually reach a high point?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd say it's sufficiently un-dick-like it could get away with not being mosaic'd, but judge for yourself:

that's a dick

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

In Training posted:

It's going to be pushed back again by shin Godzilla sequels

loving kaiju movies slowing down the release of my kaiju animes.

wait what if the new godzilla is secretly evangelion 4.0

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I knew it. I loving knew it was secretly the 4th Rebuild.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Shin Godzilla is the kind of movie that could never, ever be made in America because Hollywood focus groups would have nothing to do with this.

The same really goes for anything Anno does, really.

Imagine pitching Evangelion to a western animation studio.

"And then he grabs the girl's tit right, by accident. It's really awkward and oh she's underage by the way, and did I forget to mention she's also like a clone of his mom crossed with an alien that's also the mother of all humanity thus making it kind of incesty?"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
We don't actually know all that much about exactly what Yui was trying to accomplish, but honestly she really just seems like kind of a hosed up doomsday cultist just like SEELE.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Instrumentality is pretty much inevitable, it's a race to become the one in control of it for selfish or selfless reasons.[/spoiler]

As far as SEELE, Gendo and Yui are concerned yes it is inevitable, but frankly I don't put much stock in the dead sea scrolls stuff. Seems to me they were trying very, very hard to make those prophecies come true which means that really they were never set in stone. For all we know the dead sea scrolls were a tech support manual made by those ancient aliens on how to use your LILITH (tm) brand progenitor.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Midjack posted:

Can they even do that? ADV had the license for the series while Manga had it for Death and Rebirth and EoE. No idea where the rights are now.

Japanese licencing seems to be a massive clusterfuck in general, so who the gently caress knows what's going on with it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I'm not sure... Most people assume Asuka is toast after the mass produced Evas get her but she manages to get tanged AND comes back, but she's still injured. Maybe if Misato came back she'd have a huge bandage around her stomach or something??

It's possible she wasn't actually dead yet by the time the tanging went down. It can take a surprising amount of time to actually die from even pretty grievous injuries.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

She's such a Mary Sue character. She needs to start kicking puppies or some other character flaw soon. (liking the smell of blood doesn't count, just makes her seem like a worse OC) I know Asuka was presented as the perfect pilot at the start but that on purpose, as it linked well with her backstory.

It's weird, she's a Mary Sue who doesn't DO anything. She just kind of hangs around on the sidelines being implied to have importance but never showing it and never doing anything interesting. She's kind of a berserker, like Shinji! She's knows more about Unit 02 than Asuka! She's vaguely connected to GEHIRN due to that one photo featuring her! and so far she's kind of done gently caress all. Honestly she really does seem like she's put in to mock that kind of character.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
From what I remember some stuff was going to go down in a subway or something, like a terrorist attack. And then there was an actual terrorist attack made in Japan on a subway so they had to ditch it. I think they vaguely planned for there to be a plot about people getting upset that NERV was killing angels?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI-g7un9lEE&t=133s

Bad video but probably the most glorious thing ever

Gospel singers singing cruel angel's thesis is breaking my brain

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

:words: about angel psychology.

My point of view of the Angels are that they're 1) Pretty alien from our point of view. 2) Only recently born, and thus technically are just child versions of whatever form of life they'd propagate after initiating an impact and 3) Basically terrified and lashing out because we humans messed about with their parent and caused second impact, and also we're using the cloned flesh of said parent to kill them.

From their point of view we're the incomprehensable horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
One thing I noticed in 3.33, when they get Shinji out of Unit-01 they give him a designation with a number. It was probably to dehumanize him, but they also didn't seem certain that he actually was Shinji, and with the number they knew because they'd already gotten things that weren't Shinji. So what in the hell did they manage to pull out of Unit-01? Fake Shinjis? Reis? hosed up angel monster things?