Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
After weeks of finals and just plain not being in the mood to watch something potentially depressing, I finally sat down and watched "3.33" last night. I think I'm going to echo a lot of goons' opinions on this one, and I'll keep this brief without going into too much detail. The quieter scenes between Shinji, Kawarou, and Fuyutski I thought worked really well, as did the shots of the abandoned NERV headquarters, and this overriding, so-all-pervasive-it-becomes-hilarious theme that Shinji fucks up everything in the most spectacular and deadly ways possible. The sound and set design were spectacular, and the animation clearly had a lot of well-spent money and effort put into it. The weird imagery was pure EVA. From a purely technical standpoint, this is a hugely impressive movie.

I still found the movie very frustrating however. Even though its about the same length as the first movie, it felt extremely short, and the scripting was off, as if there was a very abrupt decision to make this movie tell only the first half of a story. The first and second movies felt more structured and focused.

Also, I am utterly confused about one thing in particular. Was the tease at the end of 2.22 done intentionally to completely subvert everyone's expectations or did they up and abandon what they had planned for the third movie and just do a completely different story?

EDIT: So it worked in the same way a 'Next Time on "Arrested Development"' worked?
v v v v v

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Zahki posted:

A cool theory on EvaGeeks was that the planet was in the process of being transmuted into an Evangelion, just like the people were. It's made of the same material. :stare:
Given that this is a Gainax production (kinda) the idea of battling a literal planet doesn't seem too farfetched.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Pierson posted:

There's another video that actually does pretend to be a trailer for an IMAX release of the Rebuilds and is so good I'd be totally fooled if I didn't know better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ3cXnssH88
Kind of surprised Funimation hasn't done a roadshow double-or-triple feature of these movies; that is, with a 15-minute intermission between each film. I think that's the best way to watch the first two "Rebuild" movies, and that's the way I've shown it to friends.
That was my favorite "Evangelion" parody video… then I saw this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLgv9lJ9jE

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Where did that footage of Horse Unit-01 come from? That just made my day.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
IIRC, for the Renewal/Platinum collections Gainax went back to the 35mm camera elements and did high-definition, frame-by-frame scans for each episode, improved the color timing and contrast, and got rid of many of the very visible tape splices and jitter that occurred during cuts.

Any pre-2003 version of "Evangelion" was several generations away from any film element and probably sourced from standard-defintion Beta.

I think a very big improvement the 'Platinum' set made for English-speaking viewers is getting rid of the English overlays, which you can see on the left in this shot:
Prior to the Platinum set, any shot that had a lot of Japanese text on it would have a very obvious and ugly video overlay translating the text into English. In motion, the text overlays were downright jarring, but on the Platinum DVDs, the text translation is handled via subtitles.

tl;dr: The Platinum DVDs are worlds better than the originals.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The demand for "Evangelion 3.0" in theaters is so great that Funimation is delaying the US Blu-Ray release.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah, these movies have sold like gangbusters on DVD and Blu-Ray. They've even done well in US theaters relatively speaking. 3.0 grossed $175,000 in a limited run (and by limited I mean maybe two or three showings a day at most theaters) with no advertizing. If I had to guess, I'd say that 3.0 will be out by August. I doubt they push it so far back that it releases during the holidays.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe we'll actually get 3.33 in English or the final Rebuild movie... or not.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

well

that's not Skyfall but it's close enough for me :thumbsup:
Two things I never expected to see together. "I'd like to forget about Yui loving my car."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The SWORD moment is made up for by Mako's line before finishing the monster off being "I shall avenge my family!" Only a dog using itself as a projectile against a giant monster bear could make that moment any more 70s anime.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Vel posted:

While we're bitching about Funimation, I've been waiting 2 years for them to start dubbing DBZ Kai Buu Saga. This is after Sean Schemmel confirmed in a panel that he was in the booth. So yeah, I don't know if they're having a huge rights crisis over there, but the wait for some of their properties is driving me insane.
That is all on Toei though, who are the kings of incompetence and self-sabotage when it comes to foreign markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
It looks like 3.33 is getting a US release in 'early 2016' from Funimation, with subtitles approved by Khara.