Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm in the process of watching 3.0 and this movie has reminded me why whenever I hear "Ode to Joy" I am filled with an impending sense of doom

Alright I finished watching it. It was better than I expected! People made it sound like it was going to be like 70 minutes of Shinji and Kaworu's sweet romance bookended by two crazy action scenes but it was a lot smoother than that.

I feel a lot worse for Shinji in the movies than on the TV show. Understandable I guess, because the one time he tries to take initiative and do something cool, he ends up causing a second apocalypse. Then everyone hates him without telling him why, he has the truth about his mom and his psuedo-girlfriend unceremoniously dumped in his lap, and when he tries to make up for it, he ends up almost causing the apocalypse again! And the only person who has been both honest and nice to him gets turned into jam right in front of his eyes! And that too, is arguably his fault! TV Shinji is the lead character in a harem anime compared to what this sadsack goes through!

There's a lot of arguing about whether or not the message behind Eva's story has changed with the movies, but whether or not it has, I'm a lot more likely to listen to duder's exasperated treatise on how lovely Japanese society is if it's wrapped in such a lavishly produced bit of sci-fi action animation than... whatever the end of the TV series was. I give it a qualified thumbs up :thumbsup:

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

UberJumper posted:

Awesome thanks :downs:

One final question:

What was the deal with the 12th Angel? And why was unit 06 trapped there?

I took it as being that Nerv was using Kaoru's old Eva as a container for the 12th Angel, essentially a "trap" that would be sprung upon... well the events of the movie.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

cafel posted:

We see the new 3rd Angel in the fight that introduces Mari in 2.0. It was a skeletal dragon-like Angel she fought in a tunnel system in the testbed EVA that was equpide with a giant drill. The one that seems to be missing is the 11th Angel. If they all appeared in order then the 11th showed up while Shinji was trapped in the events surrounding Third Impact.

Thinking about Third Impact has me wondering how it works out so they can lay so much blame on Shinji. At the end of 2.0 he opens the Gate of Guf, but it's pretty quickly closed by Kaworu in Unit 06 spearing Unit 01. At some point Unit 06, seemingly now not piloted by Kaworu and possibly already the 12th Angel, is able to penetrate Central Dogma. Then Third Impact begins or continues, but is halted by someone putting two spears into Unit 06 and Lilith. While it's all very nebulous, it's hard to see how Shinji's very brief awakening could be the key factor in all of this, more so than anyone elses actions, because we see it ended at the close of 2.0 with some events we know happened having not occured yet. And yet the hate towards Shinji is so severe it can't just be a result of him having not been around to help stop things. Unless Unit 06 and Lilith had nothing to do with Third Impact and all the deaths occured in the short timespan between the Gate of Guf opening and closing, but that seems unlikely. When Kaworu brings Shinji out to see the results of Third Impact he tells Shinji that Lilin calls his awakening 'Near-Third Impact' when earlier in the conversation he states Third Impact occured while Shinji was trapped in Unit 01. It's ambiguous, but it seems to me that Shinji's awakening wasn't Third Impact, it was just a very important catalyst, but I don't see how in a way that leaves Shinji's action with so much of the blame.

Dammit, I honestly was not all that interested in what happened during the timeskip until you pointed all of this out :argh:

Now I wanna know how exactly it washed out. How long was it before Misato's Bodacious Space Rebels broke it off with Nerv? What was the impetus? Did Kaji give her the dirt and then die again? How exactly did Shinji get locked in that space cross? Was that the reason Misato went rogue? How did that Angel get inside of the Mk 6? Kaworu said that it was all hosed up from overuse, but how could that be the case if they fought maybe TWO angels max while Shinji was locked up? And does that meant that Kaworu fought alongside Asuka and Mari before the counter-reformation? There were a lot of regular battleships in the flotilla from before the Wunder launched--did Misato manage to turn the entire world against Nerv? Were Kaworu and a bunch of Rei clones the ones keeping Gendou from being gunned down by angry UN troops in a hilarious reversal of EOE?

I'm probably just going to go to bed later and forget all about those questions though

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

I fell down a bit of a research hole after seeing this line and yeah, it makes a kind of sense

That being said, there is also the question of what qualifies as leftist in Japan, in the early 90s VS the English speaking world in 2019, so I'm not exactly CONVINCED the line is SUPER GOOD choice. The historical context makes the picture a bit more clear, but someone shouldn't need to read these tweets in order to digest a jotted off bit of background noise. Then of course there's also the question of whether or not the news is trustworthy considering it's all probably information controlled to hell and back by Nerv and Seele so..

Expect My Mom posted:

Finally started my rewatch and I already have questions

What do you guys make of Shinji seeing Rei in Tokyo-3 at the very beginning when it's not possible that she's actually there? Maybe some sort of spirit of Yui or Lillith "watching" over Shinji? I really don't recall any other times "ghosts" appear in the physical world but again, haven't seen this in years

e: I think it's the Kaowru death, because I recall the elevator is just short of a full minute where I think the death makes it there

I don't know how relevant it is, and people's feelings on the movies may vary, but BOY it has a different context when it happens again in Rebuild

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I want Anno to make an Evangelion show that is basically an anthology series set in the universe that tells a bunch of self-contained stories of randos having to cope with this tenuously outlined world full of conspiracies and ancient Aliens

they could call it Neo-Eva Q

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Zeruel posted:

e: OH OKAY

ee: peu importe ou tu trouves, j'vais te chercher
attends un peu, monsieur petit toutou

no matter where you are, I'll pick you up
wait a minute, sir little doggie

why she want to get him so badly

um , because he's the protagonist???

I have to say as someone who just kinda shrugs at a lot of the more internalized mental stuff in Eva, the density of crazy kaiju battles, technobabble, and huge explosions in that teaser are very promising :cool:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
real mad that they bothered animating that Iron Man rear end wannabe Kamen Rider Ultraman manga instead of just letting Anno make his own version whether it's live action or not

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
"Gendo is actually Miyazaki" is the second best hot Eva take, right after the Ultraman homage one

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Khara threw the Rebuilds up on Youtube if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM4FwhxLYLHlOSPnfxmxSQw

No English subs (I think? Youtube's stupid) but I'm still glad to see it cuz I don't like Netflix!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At this point when I see dubious looking anime CG, especially in a movie as big as this one, with the kind of lead-up time it has, I have to wonder if it's a stylistic choice. Unless the people at Arc System Works are actually wizards or something, it should be possible to make things look a bit less... egregious.

Alternately maybe it's just an unavaoidable downside of trying to retrofit the Eva designs, which are natively hand drawn, into CG. The CG in Promare, for instance, probably looks gorgeous because that's how it was conceived.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I read a theory this morning about Mari being based on Shimamoto Kazuhiko and now I want to see this movie so bad I can loving taste it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

KaptainKrunk posted:

The Rebuilds just make me think of how much better Anno's time would have been spent on making new stuff or films like Shin Godzilla. To me the entire exercise always felt like a long, painfully drawn out cash grab, as TV + EoE is pretty much perfect.

I'll still watch this though.

Doing something from whole new cloth I could understand, but I don't see how the Rebuild movies are any less interesting than "Anno does Cutie Honey" "Anno does Godzilla" and "Anno does Ultraman"

and I love all of those! Well, I love Shin Godzilla, Ultraman isn't out yet and and the Cutie Honey movie suffers due to having watched it too close to Re:Cutie Honey

hoping that if this pattern continues he does Shin Kamen Rider Faiz next and gets someone with a lick of sense to write it this time

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have deep amusement that it's not coming to Netflix

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Scyantific posted:

E: Out of all the things that could have thrown me for a loop it was this that made me go "what the gently caress"

this is still milder than what Tomino's sentiments tend to be, however

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
For some reason I'm imagining a Gurren Lagann Parallel Works-esque anthology covering the Near Third Impact aftermath via a series of wildly tonally dissimilar music videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's disappointing to hear that part of the English script issues might lie with Khara because they're doing so much poo poo right, in general, otherwise