Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I just finished the entire series (except for the rebuild movies) and goddamn as a story about depression and overcoming it, it's pretty good I feel. I don't know what to think of EoE to be honest but I guess I enjoyed it if I think it runs parallel with the tv shows ending. Anyways I haven't really read up much about the rebuild movies but how good are they?

E: I just finished EoE to be precise. But I'm leaning on I liked it a lot cuz it was hosed up and I like when poo poo gets hosed up.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just watched the first 2 Rebuild movies and really enjoyed them! I'm so glad they put a lot of the light hearted stuff in the show and not have it be 100% serious mode all the time. Which leads me to believe that Rebuild 3 has to be even more serious right? I'll probably end up watching it tonight, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, how does that work? Rei doesn't have a mom. Unless the EVA is her mom :tinfoil:

Rei is a clone of Shinji's mom and uh I guess that should clear everything up? I have no idea to be honest but I think its basically just that. Maybe 4.44 will clarify more on this but I doubt it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, that means that Shinji groped his mom. :barf: Anno's loving nasty.

A clone of his mom, not his actual mom. But if you want to think of it that way then sure I guess. Also being a clone of Shinji's mom is why Rei develops feeling for Shinji I believe in the show and the movies.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The first rebuild movie is going to be screened at a local theater here next month. I'm thinking of going since it would be cool to watch it in an actual theater and not on my TV.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My biggest beef about 3.33 was that we don't really know much about what happened in the year Shinji was away except for a few things. I wish they would have focused on more time with Misato and them and less piano time.

My one big hope for 4.0/Final is just for more mindfuckery. Don't let me down Anno. :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Scyantific posted:

He was missing for 14 years:ssh:

Oh I know I just wish they showed more or talked more about what had happened.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Just from the first volume, Manga Shinji seems very different from Anime Shinji. He has this cool "I am not afraid to die and will not let my father call me a coward!" line when he first gets in Unit 01 and then later o he bitches at Misato and then after this he cries when she praiss him.

Anime Shinji gets a rep for being whiny but he was really rather reserved and kept everything bottled up. Manga Shinji is mouthy, letting out both the good and the bad.

At least as far as I can tell. I like it though.

Shinji isn't supposed to be cool and the manga one just seems to be missing the entire point of the character.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I've been rewatching the show and had no idea there were any Director's Cut episodes. I finally saw them for the first time and my mind is pretty blown now drat. Time for Episodes 25 and 26 now I guess.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Probably the first time since the steam sale video I haven't been disappointed when I see the evangelion thread updated.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Applewhite posted:

I'll watch 4.0, but, unlike 3.33, I'm no longer stoked to see it.

Sure dude

we'll see you back here in a few years

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Movie was loving awesome. Not only was this a better godzilla movie than the US 2014 one (goddamn way better performances from the actors here), but it was also classic Anno is every way. Loved it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress cine d and gently caress transformers and gently caress the posters who won't let this die.

Can I talk about how sick it was that shin Godzilla used some evangelion tunes please

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
i want to believe they will meet the release date

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm not so sure. My impression is that this is niche advertising probably aired only during specific anime shows, kinda like the commercials featuring drag queens that air during Drag Race on vh1 and during no other time block.

Its loving huge

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah its definitely death rebirth and eoe

I don’t think studio Khara or Anno has ownership of the og licenses?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Khara studio is tweeting about it so it looks like they did have the license. I’m so stoked, been wanting to rewatch but I got all my Eva stuff on an old harddrive and didn’t want to dig it out

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
No he’s right it’s definitely going down. Like all of the negative hit pieces that Eva is going to generate as these people watch it for the first time. I would imagine people at Kotaku have seen the show but other outlets I can easily see this happen.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wark Say posted:

I have a bit of a complicated relationship with Evangelion. Right now, though? I'm honestly happy as heck that the OG series will get to have a new shot in the limelight. It's a series with a lot of merits and that, despite everything, has aged remarkably well. One thing I'm curious about, though (and apologies if the :speculate: angle is not appreciated): Is Netflix planning to get the Rebuild Movies as well? They musta paid out the wazoo license-wise, so it honestly kinda feels like a preamble to them getting the Rebuild movies. Of course, that could be its own behemoth to tackle, but again, I'm sincerely curious.

It would be so dope if they put stealth add all the rebuilds when the last movie comes out. HEY A MAN CAN DREAM Ok

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Please don’t watch rebuild first.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’ve never watched the dub in my life

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't know why any of you maniacs would even watch the dub

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

buglord posted:

Should I try to get my baby boomer catholic coworker to watch this since it has crosses in it

Hell yeah bro

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

so. SO good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmao at even the idea of wanting to watch Eva dubbed

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
they removed fly me to the moon.

gently caress this trash

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s ridiculous they didn’t license fly me to the moon. gently caress off Netflix you pay Adam Sandler like 40 million you have the money.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hot take for anyone new coming in here:

imo if you want to watch Eva and not get annoyed, just watch the first two Rebuild movies, read some episode sum-ups of the last like 4-5 episodes of the TV show (wherever the 2nd movie ends, I can't really remember and the ending isn't the same as the ep it was based on anyway), then watch End of Evangelion.

If you enjoyed that then go ahead and watch everything else not included there.

this sounds absolutely terrible. There is only one way to watch this show and its NGE, Death & Rebirth, EoE, and then the rebuild movies

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

a kitten posted:

Music licensing is famously weird and that seems to be related to what happened to Fly Me to the Moon here

https://twitter.com/Mendinso/status/1142136872501727232?s=19

https://www.thewrap.com/why-netflix...impression=true

Outside of Eva I don't have any particular fondness for it, but boy is it ever stuck in my head now.

this is some actual bullshit. They have all the money in the loving world.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They literally threw so much money at the license that funimation basically said they were cheating, if money was the reason why then it was almost certainly some suit balking at it.

they just want to cut corners. and be the sole owners of their dub/sub. And they did a pretty poo poo job at it. Thank god I still have a way to watch the real eva

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

esselfortium posted:

Eva TV still holds up really well and these are some really bad takes

actual fact

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just don’t listen to these two bad posters. Just watch the original show and then EOE and then Rebuild. The show is legit good idk why the gently caress you would want to skip it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/OXlACID/status/1142081343926546432

and yeah the love thing seems like a company policy not an individual translator thing, so no point going after the english translator on twitter

Holy poo poo LMAO!!!!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Don't worry dude you'll get more Kaworu content in the Rebuild movies

E: I'm on episode 10 right now and watching the show and just paying attention to the character details more than the general Evangelion lore stuff has been much more eye opening for me. I guess since I'm a bit older now I have some more patience and really appreciated episodes like Episode 4 way more this time around.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 24, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Magma Diver is a good episode because it shows more of Shinji and Asuka’s relationship with each other. Asuka keeps trying to get Shinji’s attention but he has no idea what to even do which leads to her frustration

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I still think the show's ending is loving amazing. Shinji just accepting himself is one of the strongest moments in all media for me

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

You guys got poo poo friends. Like, all of y'all keep talking about some fucker you lent your poo poo to stole it from you. Closest that ever happened to me was my friend from college lent my their Wakfu bluray and I watched a bit here and there, but never finished it. I kept offering to give it back, but he didn't have a bluray player anyway so told me to keep it. Clearly, he wanted me to finish it, but I never had the interest. And, when moved back upstate, I gave it back to him.

lmao for loving real. Jesus

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

Maybe you misinterpreted me. I gave the Blu-ray box-set back to him at the very end. I didn't keep it. He got it before he left. Hell, I tried to give it back to him earlier and he just kept telling me to keep it.

Anyway, I'm going to make a bold statement: Hideki Anno is completely right to criticize escapism and how the Evangelion franchise was used for escapism even when it's message was to not engage in escapism. Also, it's hypocritical to criticize fans for using the series for escapism when you directly profited and enabled that escapism with tons of merchandise and wish-fulfillment spin-off series

Sorry I should have bolded the part where you said everyone has bad friends cuz they all had their dvd copies taken away.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Theres a podcast called Conversation Genesis Evangelion made by a goon MrMattJ - https://twitter.com/MrMattJay (forgetting your name on here sorry dude!) but I listened to it sometime earlier this year and it was amazing. The show is locked behind a patreon paywall but IMO I think its worth it. https://www.patreon.com/cartoons101

Check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I don't think that follows. Asuka kisses Shinji because she's trying to provoke him into demonstrating some affection towards her. Shinji doesn't because, well, he's Shinji and Asuka is intimidating and hard to get a read on (for him.) So, Asuka pushes it about as far as she can and then freaks out with faux disgust to cover up her genuine distress. The scene is contrasted directly with the scene where Misato and Kaji kiss, too. The tragedy of Asuka and Shinji's relationship, if you consider it a tragedy, is that the two of them are attracted to each other and bring out the best in each other, but also don't understand each other and that's why things go wrong.

The strangling scene isn't really that. Like Asuka says to him, having seen right through him, Shinji isn't crying out for her specifically as much as he is anyone and everyone. A key aspect of that scene is that, unlike their relationship in the TV series proper, Asuka doesn't deny that she needs help -- but she refuses Shinji's ability to help her because she finally comprehends the core of his emotional issues. Shinji wants her love and acceptance and thinking he can stay and help her is his way of getting it (although I think he does genuinely want to help her, he's not duplicitous as such, but Asuka knows what's up.) So, having been entirely exposed and known, Shinji hits his absolute nadir and commits what's probably the most shocking, violent act in End of Evangelion: strangling Asuka.

One can argue that Asuka does the seek love from anyone and everyone bit herself, but I don't think that's accurate. There's two people she demonstrates an interest in: Kaji and Shinji. Remember how Asuka gets set up on a date, I think in that very same episode, and stands the guy up? I think a few episodes before she stomps on all the love letters she gets.

A good post